Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-12, 01:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,632 Posts
re: Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank)

Originally Posted by dsa_shea
If they ever put Galactus in another one then they better do him right.
I wonder how they could do him "right." I mean, we're used to his comic version but I don't think it would work at all in live action (a huge, purple giant with a gigantic helmet?). In the Ultimate Marvel Universe, they went into a totally different direction with a swarm of ships.

Man, I almost wish they re-rebooted X-men now, with some real Sentinels and a Days of Future Past Adaptation. Oh well, maybe in another decade or so.
Old 07-19-12, 01:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

After running what could've been two awesome superhero films, I personally hope that Tim Story is homeless and sucking dick somewhere in the valley to make a living.

You know what would be even better? Fox not being able to reboot the franchise and the rights revert back to Marvel.
Old 07-19-12, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 59 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
I wonder how they could do him "right." I mean, we're used to his comic version but I don't think it would work at all in live action (a huge, purple giant with a gigantic helmet?). In the Ultimate Marvel Universe, they went into a totally different direction with a swarm of ships.

Man, I almost wish they re-rebooted X-men now, with some real Sentinels and a Days of Future Past Adaptation. Oh well, maybe in another decade or so.

I have heard this same thing said many times over the years and i wonder...why can't they have him the same on the big screen as he is in the comics? These are comic book movies....not a James Ivory period drama. The audience is expected to suspend their belief. We have a team that comprises of a man that can stretch his body like rubber, a woman who can make invisible walls and turn invisible, a man who can fly and turn his body on fire and a man who is made entirely of stone....and yet its that giant guy with a funny helmet that is the one we are having a hard time comprehending. Come on. Just give us the Galactus of the comics and it will be awesome. Oh, and Dr. Doom needs to be vastly improved. A good actor and voice with an imposing attitude for a start.
Old 07-19-12, 02:04 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Well that's the problem. It's not that it's a huge motherfucker that can do all that he can do...is that it's that damn helmet. That's the weird part. Suspension of disbelief is allowed as long as it visually looks good in live action setting and context. The Avengers rocked it.

It's probably an issue that they ran in w/ Thor as well. Which I'd argue that his helmet could possibly look cool if they went w/ a different look to the suit. It combined his classic w/ his modern and it didn't compliment the helmet well. Granted that probably isn't exactly what they faced but to me it's a visual imbalance. Talking about Thor..I do hope they go w/ this look. I don't like his suit..it's boring to me. I like the character though just not his pants...they're....boring. Also the helmet wasn't all that great either, the one we got.

This is what Thor should look like. He just looks better.
Old 07-19-12, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Fantastic Four was released about 7 months after The Incredibles, and they really don't share any premise at all except that the main characters share some similar powersets. The tone, storylines, character arcs, etc. were entirely different.

But I am in entire agreement that The Incredibles was vastly superior. I'd reckon that Brad Bird's masterpiece is the best superhero movie ever made.
The appeal of the Fantastic Four, and why it was such an incredibly popular comic, was the idea of a family of superheroes, one that struggled with family issues as much as they did with their super-heroics. That was the basic premise of the Incredibles. The plot was ripped almost right from Watchmen, though.
Old 07-19-12, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by M1000be
Other than the butchering of Victor Von Doom and Galactus, I found Tim Story's versions fun diversions. Sure, they weren't great and they most certainly were not deep thoughtful movies, but they were light hearted enough to just sit back and enjoy. I would rather sit thru them than X-Men and X-Men 2 again, which took itself so damn serious that it bogs down.
The butchering of Doom is too criminal of an offense though for fans of the comic. Doom is one of the greatest Marvel villians, and they turned him into a whiny playboy who suddenly gets electricity for a superpower. Total disregard for the comic.
Old 07-19-12, 04:30 PM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by dvdjunkie32
The butchering of Doom is too criminal of an offense though for fans of the comic. Doom is one of the greatest Marvel villians, and they turned him into a whiny playboy who suddenly gets electricity for a superpower. Total disregard for the comic.
This I agree with. He has the outfit. He has the character to carry a film, but instead, the miscast it and went completely south with it. Really hurt the films.
On the other hand, I thought the Silver Surfer was excellent. Johnny chasing him down was really quite awesome to see on the screen and probably (in my humble opinion) a great scene in all of comic book movies. It just felt right.
Old 07-19-12, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yep, I agree. There were some deep flaws in the FF movies (Doom being among the worst), but there were also many things they got right. For one thing, I felt that Michael Chiklis' performance nailed the character of Ben Grimm. The plot arcs for the character weren't necessarily too great, but that's another story.
Old 07-19-12, 04:48 PM
Banned

Surfer for sure was great. Voice Casting Fishburne and getting Doug Jones for the body...just great. That's inspired casting for sure.
Old 07-19-12, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoboDad
There were some deep flaws in the FF movies (Doom being among the worst), but there were also many things they got right. For one thing, I felt that Michael Chiklis' performance nailed the character of Ben Grimm.
The only two things Fox got right were the casting of Chiklis, and dare I say it, Evans as Johnny Storm.

As I've said before, I'd be completely fine with a reboot if it brought Chiklis and Evans back in their respective roles. However, Fox's consistent mismanaging of their comic book properties (and their entire studio in general) doesn't allow one to have a lot of hope in a big-budget reboot of a franchise that wasn't popular as others to begin with. I feel Singer's two X-Men films and Vaughn's First Class were flukes with the studio.

You know, based upon results seen with Daredevil, Elektra, X-Men: The Last Stand, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Or, hell, Fox's output as a studio within the past five-to-ten years.
Old 07-19-12, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Can't disagree there. It would be awesome if Disney could just get the property "back in the fold". Then we might get something interesting. And, you know, fun.
Old 07-19-12, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by RoboDad
Can't disagree there. It would be awesome if Disney could just get the property "back in the fold". Then we might get something interesting. And, you know, fun.
The difference between Marvel Studios and the rest is they hire, usually, top tier talent to helm the films. Shane Black for Iron Man 3. Joss Whedon for The Avengers. Kenneth Branagh for Thor. That's smart.

While it sucks Johnson isn't returning to Captain America: The Winter Soldier, I don't hold much hope with Anthony and Joe Russo in the director's chair. You're telling me the directing team of You, Me and Dupree is going to top the output set by Joe Johnston? However, I feel Branagh was a mismatch for Thor as the screenplay had no idea what it wanted to be and Branagh made that known through his directing. Alan Taylor for Thor: The Dark World is an inspired choice that excites me based upon his past work. That film's potential downfall is they went back to the same writer as the first film.

I still stand by the fact Fox should've allowed Peyton Reed to helm the original Fantastic Four. Yes, a superhero film set in the sixties is a tough sell, but goddamnit, it sounded like a lot of fun.
Old 07-19-12, 05:41 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I still stand by the fact Fox should've allowed Peyton Reed to helm the original Fantastic Four. Yes, a superhero film set in the sixties is a tough sell, but goddamnit, it sounded like a lot of fun.
Absolutely! If it had been played straight (no campy 60s jokes) it would have been great.
Old 07-19-12, 05:54 PM
Banned

The only two things Fox got right were the casting of Chiklis, and dare I say it, Evans as Johnny Storm.

As I've said before, I'd be completely fine with a reboot if it brought Chiklis and Evans back in their respective roles. However, Fox's consistent mismanaging of their comic book properties (and their entire studio in general) doesn't allow one to have a lot of hope in a big-budget reboot of a franchise that wasn't popular as others to begin with. I feel Singer's two X-Men films and Vaughn's First Class were flukes with the studio.

You know, based upon results seen with Daredevil, Elektra, X-Men: The Last Stand, and X-Men Origins: Wolverine. Or, hell, Fox's output as a studio within the past five-to-ten years.
ahem...The Silver Surfer, Doug Jones as the body actor and Fishburne as the voice.

also Branaugh was great w/ Thor when it was not on Midgard. Everything else aside from that....great stuff. Love the Asgard stuff.
Old 07-19-12, 05:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
ahem...The Silver Surfer, Doug Jones as the body actor and Fishburne as the voice.

also Branaugh was great w/ Thor when it was not on Midgard. Everything else aside from that....great stuff. Love the Asgard stuff.
I'll give you Jones, I won't give you Fishburne.

Yes, as I mentioned in the Thor thread, the stuff on Asgard was solid. The stuff on Earth felt like I was watching an episode of Hercules or Xena on the big screen. That remark even includes production value too.
Old 07-19-12, 06:04 PM
Banned

I'll give you Jones, I won't give you Fishburne.

Yes, as I mentioned in the Thor thread, the stuff on Asgard was solid. The stuff on Earth felt like I was watching an episode of Hercules or Xena on the big screen. That remark even includes production value too.
That town looked so fake. It bothered the fuck out of me.

Why no love for Fishburne as the voice? I thought he fit very well. Calm, alien, almost naive...everything I expected him to be.
Old 07-19-12, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 786 Likes on 567 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Why no love for Fishburne as the voice? I thought he fit very well. Calm, alien, almost naive...everything I expected him to be.
Because it's a big booming voice of a black man.

In the Surfer, I expect to hear a tortured soul. Not whiny, but just a bit of sadness behind a position of power.
Old 07-19-12, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by devilshalo
In the Surfer, I expect to hear a tortured soul. Not whiny, but just a bit of sadness behind a position of power.
Which, again, Doug Jones could've done.
Old 07-19-12, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I really liked the way the Surfer was portrayed, look and voice.

A question: can FOX create their own " Marvel Universe" of films. They have some pretty big properties. Shit, I would love to see Magneto vs the FF or Doom in a X-MEn film. FF vs X-Men would seem like a given.
Old 07-20-12, 07:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 786 Likes on 567 Posts

Which, again, Doug Jones could've done.
I always have to go back and listen to Hellboy 1 & 2 to hear the differences between him and Niles Crane.
Old 07-21-12, 11:14 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Tom Creo
I really liked the way the Surfer was portrayed, look and voice.

A question: can FOX create their own " Marvel Universe" of films. They have some pretty big properties. Shit, I would love to see Magneto vs the FF or Doom in a X-MEn film. FF vs X-Men would seem like a given.
...well...i hope that never happens cuz Fox isn't run by someone w/ enough talent to make that even coherent.
Old 07-23-12, 09:34 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I dunno, they've given us two decent X-Men flicks
Old 07-24-12, 01:53 PM
Banned

2 out of how many franchise related films again? Yeah. Let's just focus on one franchise being pretty good before we think of every putting two team franchises together. They failed w/ one franchise. Have one successful one...that in itself has had issues as well.
Old 07-24-12, 02:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Which gives me hope that they can do it right. They do cast the films pretty good but get the right writers and directors and...who knows, maybe some magic can happen.
Old 07-24-12, 02:59 PM
Banned

I think it'd be a horrible idea. It'd have to set up in a fashion to The Avengers. Where these characters have to work in the same world. And just knowing wtf FF is...I have a hard time seeing the X-Men franchise even gelling w/ FF. You might have to update the world in the X-Men franchise to work w/ the FF world.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.