Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-15, 01:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts
Re: The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Originally Posted by Supermallet
I honestly don't get why people are so down on this. I haven't seen anything in the trailers that make me think it will be bad. It may BE bad, but the trailers haven't indicated it.
Because it doesn't match their vision of what they think a Fantastic Four movie should look like. Most comic book fans can't be objective when it comes to adaptations. If things aren't completely faithful, they dismiss it as bad, even though nothing in that trailer suggests it's going to be a bad movie. Personally I think it looks far better than the previous FF movies. Frankly, the comments of 'meh' and 'looks forgettable' are much more forgiving than some of the shit that was being said in here before.

Last edited by DaveyJoe; 04-20-15 at 01:20 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 100 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Because it doesn't match their vision of what they think a Fantastic Four movie should look like. Most comic book fans can't be objective when it comes to adaptations. If things aren't completely faithful, they dismiss it as bad, even though nothing in that trailer suggests it's going to be a bad movie. Personally I think it looks far better than the previous FF movies. Frankly, the comments of 'meh' and 'looks forgettable' are much more forgiving than some of the shit that was being said in here before.
Not really a fair statement. The FF have a very unique and different look, feel and tone to them which has never been portrayed on screen. They went with the younger Ultimates darker FF, and that's too bad. The original FF is not popular from a comic standpoint any more which is likely part of the way they went the way they did, but it will blend in to all the other movies. A movie true to the FF vision would be unique and awesome and will never happen.
Old 04-20-15, 01:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by johnnysd
Not really a fair statement. The FF have a very unique and different look, feel and tone to them which has never been portrayed on screen. They went with the younger Ultimates darker FF, and that's too bad. The original FF is not popular from a comic standpoint any more which is likely part of the way they went the way they did, but it will blend in to all the other movies. A movie true to the FF vision would be unique and awesome and will never happen.
This.
The antipathy for the trailer(s) and project is more because it looks derivative and generic.
Like I said, I see glimmers of the FF in the latest trailer. But the 'real' FF is a quirkier, folksier, and...loopier property than this seems to desire to be. All I see are generic sci-fi and comic book hero tropes being reiterated. Honestly, what is here that anyone hasn't seen done 100 times before?
The hate may have been overstated- but is there anything in there that is honestly compelling in a "Wow! I haven't seen something like that in a long time!" way?

There is also a slight disconnect in that the FF's powers are all pure fantasy/whimsical yet they are trying to ground it with a more realistic looking, hard science aesthetic (tone and palate).

Last edited by Paul_SD; 04-20-15 at 02:00 PM.
Old 04-20-15, 02:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 813 Likes on 687 Posts

I did get more of a sense from the newest trailer this movie was about some essential aspects of the Fantastic Four. That is exactly what Hollywood always tries with these tonal changes to longstanding properties, they want people that don't give a flip about comic books to watch the film. The Fantastic Four haven't had a successful cartoon now in many years and their comic books have never been huge sellers.

The modern take on the Fantastic Four concept wasn't done by Marvel at all but seen in Warren Ellis's brilliant Planetary. It's a shame no enterprising studio turned that comic book into a movie. Nolan would have a field day with that story.
Old 04-30-15, 02:30 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

Old 04-30-15, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 55 Likes on 50 Posts

"From The Studio That Brought You..." is the most ridiculous marketing line.
Old 04-30-15, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'm looking forward to it.

Fantfourstic?
Old 04-30-15, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Double_Oh_7
"Hey guys, remember that one movie you really liked? We TOTALLY did that one too!"
Old 04-30-15, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 46 Likes on 33 Posts

The posters make it look like a 2000 era WB show.
Old 05-01-15, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Kate Mara has a tight-fitting outfit. What were the odds on that?

"If you liked X, you'll love Y!
Old 05-01-15, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

That poster just doesn't get me excited about watching this movie.
Old 05-01-15, 10:44 AM

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Old 05-01-15, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 483 Likes on 354 Posts

I still think that it was ridiculous to cast someone who looks like a very young K.D. Lang to play Reed Richards. Mr. Fantastic is not a 19 year old lesbian.

The whole thing has been poorly cast, and the look of the characters isn't good and the tone is all wrong for the FF.

This is going to be the bomb of the summer. Hopefully it bombs so hard that Fox sells the rights back to Marvel and lets them do it right.
Old 05-01-15, 01:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I still think that it was ridiculous to cast someone who looks like a very young K.D. Lang to play Reed Richards. Mr. Fantastic is not a 19 year old lesbian.

The whole thing has been poorly cast, and the look of the characters isn't good and the tone is all wrong for the FF.

This is going to be the bomb of the summer. Hopefully it bombs so hard that Fox sells the rights back to Marvel and lets them do it right.
I agree on all fronts. These are my favorite Marvel characters and comic too. So sad it has most likely been screwed up again.

Although I didn't hate the previous two films.
Old 05-01-15, 04:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I agree on all fronts. These are my favorite Marvel characters and comic too. So sad it has most likely been screwed up again.

Although I didn't hate the previous two films.
I didn't hate them, either. The extended version of the first movie is a little better than the theatrical cut (even if it's not as much better as Daredevil's director's cut is over it's theatrical version), and Rise of the Silver Surfer is a pretty darned good movie.

Ioan Gruffud was a great choice to play Mr. Fantastic, and Michael Chiklis and Chris Evans were very good in their roles as well. And I never have a problem looking at Jessica Alba...

This cast? Garbage. The look of this movie? Garbage. The previous two FF movies were pretty close to the source material (although they screwed up the Dr. Doom stuff). This one looks like FF in name and number and powers only.

Whatever. I can wait for Marvel to eventually, and inevitably, get the rights back so that I can finally watch some great FF movies...
Old 05-02-15, 12:03 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I can accept the rest of the cast but agree about RR. He does in fact look like a lesbian. One that likes to cut herself and listen to Death Cab for Cutie in her spare time.
Old 05-02-15, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 398 Likes on 266 Posts

This movie is gonna suck just as bad as the other 2.
Old 05-02-15, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Old 05-02-15, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

I didn't hate them, either. The extended version of the first movie is a little better than the theatrical cut (even if it's not as much better as Daredevil's director's cut is over it's theatrical version), and Rise of the Silver Surfer is a pretty darned good movie.

Ioan Gruffud was a great choice to play Mr. Fantastic, and Michael Chiklis and Chris Evans were very good in their roles as well. And I never have a problem looking at Jessica Alba...
Alba is a female Keanu Reeves as far as I'm concerned. But in these films she didn't bother me near as much as Gruffud did. He was in no way, shape, or form what I've ever seen Reed R as being. He certainly wasn't a dynamic and authoritative RR in the mold of the Lee/Kirby stories that the two films were cribbing from. For me he came across as too weak, too pussy-whipped. All egg-head and no muscle to back it up.

I'm not keen on the Twilight-age approved cast here. But I get a feeling they will probably exhibit overall better chemistry as a 'family unit' than the first two films did.

Doom still looks like ass though.
Old 05-02-15, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 553 Likes on 345 Posts

Mr. Fantastic looks more feminine that the Invisible Woman.
Old 05-02-15, 10:25 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Actually, "From the studio that brought you..." works for Marvel Studio, Disney overall and Pixar.

Less so when it's a less focused company like Fox or Sony or an acquisition company like Weinstein.
Old 05-02-15, 11:07 AM

That poster of Mr fantastic does look weird. Not only does he look feminine, it doesn't even look like Teller.
Old 05-02-15, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 186 Likes on 129 Posts

He can look like KD Lang, or he can look feminine, but he can't do both at the same time.
Old 05-02-15, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
He can look like KD Lang, or he can look feminine, but he can't do both at the same time.
Ha, touché!
Old 05-02-15, 04:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Paul_SD
Alba is a female Keanu Reeves as far as I'm concerned. But in these films she didn't bother me near as much as Gruffud did. He was in no way, shape, or form what I've ever seen Reed R as being. He certainly wasn't a dynamic and authoritative RR in the mold of the Lee/Kirby stories that the two films were cribbing from. For me he came across as too weak, too pussy-whipped. All egg-head and no muscle to back it up.
That was the script (he was written as too tentative and lacking in confidence). Gruffud can be tougher and more authoritarian at times (see FF2 for a small example). But his performance in FF1 came down to the script and the director - neither of which was great.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.