Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Old 09-03-09, 01:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
re: Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank)

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
I agree. Chiklis was perfect for The Thing. Mr. Fantastic and Alba had zero chemistry and wooden acting skills. I cringe every time it comes to the part:

Victor - "Susan, let's not fight"

Susan - "No, lets"

Just rubs me as awful acting.
These movies definately could have been so much better. It's a tall order though with Mr. Fantastic. The character is supposed to be a nerdy, quiet type, bookwormy dude. Torch and Thing are the real personalities. Get rid of those crappy wigs Alba has to wear and put her in some underwater scenes like Into The Blue and I'm for it. I used to watch this on Saturday morning cartoons back in the 60's and early 70's. Was always one of my favorites.
Old 08-23-10, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Apparently casting has begun for the reboot.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/08/22/...asting-rumors/

Really, FOX, stop trying. Just give back the property to Marvel.
Old 08-23-10, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
I agree. Chiklis was perfect for The Thing. Mr. Fantastic and Alba had zero chemistry and wooden acting skills. I cringe every time it comes to the part:

Victor - "Susan, let's not fight"

Susan - "No, lets"

Just rubs me as awful acting.
Same here, I dislike that part. I guess Fox thought it sounded cool.
Old 08-23-10, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,220 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
First, they need to make the FF more dark and brooding ... change it up a little bit ... for example ...

Invisible Woman is a 12 year-old girls who develops her powers as a result of having been a childhood incestuous rape victim (and wishing she was invisible) ... played by Abigail Breslin.

Human Torch was a meth junkie whose mobile trunk-lab blew up ... played by Ryan Reynolds.

The Thing can still get his powers in space ... that's cool, but it only works one time ... no actor, character developed by Jim Henson's Creature shop and based on works by HR Giger

Mr. Fantastic ... uh ... is a stay at home dad -- like Mr. Mom -- who develops a severe reaction to the chemicals in all of the household cleaners ... uh ... Harrison Ford.

... and they need black leather costumes.
I thought that this was messed up ... and then I realized that I posted it ...
Old 08-23-10, 10:24 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,357 Likes on 922 Posts

Originally Posted by dx23
Apparently casting has begun for the reboot.

http://www.slashfilm.com/2010/08/22/...asting-rumors/

Really, FOX, stop trying. Just give back the property to Marvel.
why would they when they have made money with the other two? no way they are going to let the rights revert back to marvel.
Old 08-23-10, 10:43 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Well it seems like they are banking on X-Men First Class to do well so they can produce the FF reboot. They probably think that comic book films are on the decline and they won't make as much seeing as how the first two weren't money-makers to begin with.

It would be great to see it back with Marvel because they could at least do the cosmic angle completely with Skrulls, the Kree, Galactus, the Watchers, et al. Not to mention the awesomeness of Namor!
Old 08-23-10, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,549 Likes on 2,542 Posts

I'm still scratching my head why FOX feels the need to restart this franchise after only 2 movies and 2 very successful ones also. Are they trying to go cheaper and pull a Spiderman and recast everyone with cheaper lesser-known actors to cut the budget or what?
Old 08-23-10, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 397 Likes on 265 Posts

comic book movies will burn out before this gets off the ground.
Old 08-23-10, 11:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
recast everyone with cheaper lesser-known actors to cut the budget or what?
Its not like anyone in the first 2 are big paycheck earners. Alba/Chiclis(sp?) might be known but I doubt they get multiple millions per movie.
Old 08-24-10, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by DJariya
I'm still scratching my head why FOX feels the need to restart this franchise after only 2 movies and 2 very successful ones also. Are they trying to go cheaper and pull a Spiderman and recast everyone with cheaper lesser-known actors to cut the budget or what?
The second one cost more and grossed less, while it still was probably profitable (eventually)... a third one really wouldn't have made sense. I enjoyed the first one, but they lost me on the second. There's definitely room for improvement, if they hire a good director and better actors I'd be all for it.

Casting rumors at this stage are a little concerning, but I doubt there's much validity to it.
Old 08-24-10, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by resinrats
Its not like anyone in the first 2 are big paycheck earners. Alba/Chiclis(sp?) might be known but I doubt they get multiple millions per movie.
I heard Alba was bringing in $6-7million per film.
Old 08-24-10, 04:38 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Artman
The second one cost more and grossed less, while it still was probably profitable (eventually)... a third one really wouldn't have made senset.
The second one grossed $290M worldwide on a budget of $130M; sound like a solid profitable movie to me...

Maybe they are hoping to do Iron Man kinda numbers.
Old 08-24-10, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 419 Likes on 286 Posts

Reboot it all you want, but its still the Fantastic Four. Im just saying.
Old 08-24-10, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Chadm
comic book movies will burn out before this gets off the ground.
I doubt that.
Old 08-24-10, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 215 Likes on 154 Posts

Originally Posted by wearetheborg
The second one grossed $290M worldwide on a budget of $130M; sound like a solid profitable movie to me...
I looked at the numbers before I posted. Not even going to get into the difference between gross and net gross, but Fox is in charge of the money and they didn't greenlight another one - did they?
Old 08-24-10, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Reboot it all you want, but its still the Fantastic Four. Im just saying.
Yeah, it occurred to me that if they are rebooting it they might go with the Ultimates version of the characters. But then after looking up what the Ultimates version consisted of, it doesn't seem all too dissimilar in some respects from what we got with the first two films.

I don't mind a reboot, per say. I'm just sick of re-boots meaning that we get re-tellings of origin stories ad nauseum.

Last edited by Yavin; 08-24-10 at 11:01 AM.
Old 08-24-10, 11:00 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by gmanca
Well it seems like they are banking on X-Men First Class to do well so they can produce the FF reboot. They probably think that comic book films are on the decline and they won't make as much seeing as how the first two weren't money-makers to begin with.
Why would they think that comic book movies are on the decline?
Old 08-24-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
I don't mind a reboot, per say. I'm just sick of re-boots meaning that we get re-tellings of origin stories ad nauseum.
You mean like Ed Norton's slightly less crappy version of the HULK compared to Eric Bana's?
Old 08-24-10, 03:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
You mean like Ed Norton's slightly less crappy version of the HULK compared to Eric Bana's?
Well, fine, pick one of the reboots that doesn't re-hash the origin story as a big part of the film! I was thinking more along the lines of the new Spider-Man film, and how it supposedly will re-tell the origin from a younger perspective ...
Old 08-24-10, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think from their perceiving what's going on based on their own perspective since Wolverine and X3 weren't as big as Iron Man even though they have the advantage of coming later in a film series. Combine that with the Spider-Man reboot and they probably want to tread lightly as opposed to green-lighting everything like they did in '03-'05.

Yes, reboots suck but sometimes they're needed because the originals f'ed up badly. As the reboot shares only the origin story and not the entire damn plot, like Superman Returns, it will do well.
Old 08-24-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 145 Posts

Because apart from the recent Batman and Iron Man films, all of them are pretty much terrible. Bad casting, too many characters, endless origin stories with too many changes, ridiculous scripts and dialogue, poor choice of hero (Ghost Rider? Jonah Hex? Really?), and the list goes on.

The best Fantastic Four movie was already made by Pixar in 2004.
Old 08-24-10, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by gmanca
I think from their perceiving what's going on based on their own perspective since Wolverine and X3 weren't as big as Iron Man even though they have the advantage of coming later in a film series. Combine that with the Spider-Man reboot and they probably want to tread lightly as opposed to green-lighting everything like they did in '03-'05.

Yes, reboots suck but sometimes they're needed because the originals f'ed up badly. As the reboot shares only the origin story and not the entire damn plot, like Superman Returns, it will do well.
If I recall correctly, X3 made more money then the previous 2 X-Men movies. Wolverine made quite a bit world wide and still seems to be pushing forward with a sequel. Comic book movies with other properties are still big. I just don't see any reason why anyone would believe comic book movies are on a "decline."

Originally Posted by Jason
Because apart from the recent Batman and Iron Man films, all of them are pretty much terrible. Bad casting, too many characters, endless origin stories with too many changes, ridiculous scripts and dialogue, poor choice of hero (Ghost Rider? Jonah Hex? Really?), and the list goes on.

The best Fantastic Four movie was already made by Pixar in 2004.
I wouldn't really count something thrown together sloppily like Hex (or say, Punisher) as good examples. And even your middle tier movies like Fantastic Four, Ghost Rider, Daredevil... all 100 million plus box offices domestically. Dark Knight and Iron Man just coming out the last couple years and being monster hits should show that comic book movies as a whole aren't even anywhere close to a decline.

There are other reasons why a reboot might not be a great idea. A comic book movie "decline" of the entire genre isn't one of them.
Old 08-24-10, 06:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Technically speaking, the infamous version of The Fantastic Four from 1994 that never got a theatrical release was also only made to retain the rights to the franchise.

(I doubt Fox will go that cheapo route, but they could.)
Old 08-24-10, 06:51 PM

If I recall correctly, X3 made more money then the previous 2 X-Men movies. Wolverine made quite a bit world wide and still seems to be pushing forward with a sequel. Comic book movies with other properties are still big. I just don't see any reason why anyone would believe comic book movies are on a "decline."
X3 cost 210 million to make and only made about 50-60 million more than x2 which cost about 110 million to make and grossed 408 million. It wasn't a big hit to the point that Lauren Shuler-Donner said that the actors would have to re-negotiate their contracts in order to make another X-Men film.

Wolverine cost 150 million and grossed 353 million, not nearly as much as Iron Man and again, it comes from a well-established film series. A big reason why Wolverine 2 is continuing is because of Hugh Jackman and his production company.

For Fox it has been a decline and that's probably why they are being careful. Not saying the entire genre is crashing down just that Fox probably perceives it to be the case because it's happened to them.

If they actually made better movies without trying to make them cash-grabbing opportunities, they wouldn't need to worry.

Last edited by gmanca; 08-24-10 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-24-10, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow, didn't realize X3's budget was so huge. Still, I think revisiting and re-evaluating their own handling of production costs on their end is different from assuming that they feel comic book movies are on a decline.

Seems like waiting to see how the quasi reboot of X-Men works out before they get too deep into the drawing board for a new Fantastic Four. Maybe I just view the notion of a decline differently.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.