Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank) S: Teller, Jordan, Mara, Bell

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-13, 09:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts
re: Fantastic Four - Reboot (2015, D: Trank)

Originally Posted by Why So Blu?
She's as white as the pure driven snow.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/0...=entertainment
Ahh!! She's too white! I can't see! It's like trying to fap to the sun!!
Old 05-02-13, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Jason
An all ethnic FF. I like it.

Michael B. Jordan as Johnny Storm

Aisha Tyler as Sue Storm

Ben's ethnicity is sort of irrelevant. If they want somebody orange, they can hire Mike "The Situation" Sorrentino.

and

Spoiler:
Neil deGrasse Tyson as Reed Richards!
I'd argue Ben Grimm is the only character in the Fantastic Four where they made his ethnicity kind of important.

Old 05-02-13, 10:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by hanshotfirst113
Who dat?
That would be Yaya Han, cosplayer extraordinaire and quite possibly the most beautiful woman walking the planet...

Spoiler:

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 05-02-13 at 10:47 PM.
Old 05-02-13, 10:51 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by moviefan2k4
You know that's not what I'm talking about. The sad fact is that most who grow up on rough streets in the U.S. aren't white. It's not right or fair, but at present, its a fact. The filmmakers behind "Daredevil" searched like crazy for a white actor, but everyone they tried didn't seem right to them.
Peter Parker lived in a low income family. Why is he not eligible to be black?
Old 05-02-13, 11:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 778 Likes on 582 Posts

Hey now, don't forget the low income Mexicans. Peter Parker could very well have been a cholo from the east side.
Old 05-02-13, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Originally Posted by trespoochies
Hey now, don't forget the low income Mexicans. Peter Parker could very well have been a cholo from the east side.
Actually, Miles Morales (Ultimate Spider-Man) is half Mexican.

Old 05-02-13, 11:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

That Asian Cos-play broad has nice tits, but not digging the face. Jessica Nigri is finer than her. Then again she's white..............

Can someone post the Futurama squint "I see what you there" meme?

Old 05-03-13, 12:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I think it's an issue about change for the sake of change itself. For instance, I enjoy the series Elementary. Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu play well off one another. However, making Watson a woman was a pointless change.

Besides, if the reverse were to happen, a traditionally black character became caucasian or a traditionally female character became male, there would be outrage. It goes both ways.
This is basically how I feel about it. I don't have a problem with changes made to a character's race or gender most of the time but in a lot of cases it seems like they only do it to try and be more politically correct or something. I'm just not a fan of pointless changes made to characters who I've known one way for years.
Old 05-03-13, 02:52 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Supermallet
Peter Parker lived in a low income family. Why is he not eligible to be black?
The main reason is that he wasn't intended to be by his creators. I've never been to New York, so how many struggling black folks actually live in Queens?
Old 05-03-13, 04:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
That would be Yaya Han, cosplayer extraordinaire and quite possibly the most beautiful woman walking the planet...
Something only someone with blinding yellow-fever could actually believe.
Old 05-03-13, 06:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

^I prefer the term 'Saigon Headache', you cowardly cur...
Old 05-03-13, 02:17 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

This is what happens when you don't keep your superheroes white:

Old 05-03-13, 02:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
Explaining a white guy being an African prince could be tough. But I suppose a former inmate who got his powers from a Tuskegee-type experiment operating in Harlem as a PI could be a white guy.
Sterling Archer: No, no, by all means, let me do this Lana. You just sit there like the African Queen.

Lana Kane: The African Queen was the boat.

Sterling Archer: No it wasn't. It was Audrey...

Lana Kane: Katherine.

Sterling Archer: Whichever Hepburn, she was the queen.

Lana Kane: ...of Africa?

Sterling Archer: Yeah.

Lana Kane: The white Queen of Africa?

Sterling Archer: Yeah. Back then Hollywood was pretty weird about the whole race thing. Like Amos and Andy were white. A white guy played Charlie Chan.

Lana Kane: Archer...

Sterling Archer: I'm pretty sure Tonto was a Jew.
Old 05-12-13, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Spoiler:

Isn't she friends with Jessica Nigri?
Old 05-22-13, 04:51 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

<object id="flashObj" width="486" height="412" classid="clsid27CDB6E-AE6D-11cf-96B8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,47,0"><param name="movie" value="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF" /><param name="flashVars" value="videoId=2400689301001&playerID=18866168001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAB1-JM0~,FkO2We_lk8OKCDAR78oWEi9bP3Y8Mex3&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" /><param name="base" value="http://admin.brightcove.com" /><param name="seamlesstabbing" value="false" /><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="swLiveConnect" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><embed src="http://c.brightcove.com/services/viewer/federated_f9?isVid=1" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" flashVars="videoId=2400689301001&playerID=18866168001&playerKey=AQ~~,AAAAAB1-JM0~,FkO2We_lk8OKCDAR78oWEi9bP3Y8Mex3&domain=embed&dynamicStreaming=true" base="http://admin.brightcove.com" name="flashObj" width="486" height="412" seamlesstabbing="false" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" swLiveConnect="true" allowScriptAccess="always" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash"></embed></object>
Old 05-22-13, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I think it's an issue about change for the sake of change itself. For instance, I enjoy the series Elementary. Johnny Lee Miller and Lucy Liu play well off one another. However, making Watson a woman was a pointless change.

Besides, if the reverse were to happen, a traditionally black character became caucasian or a traditionally female character became male, there would be outrage. It goes both ways.
But see, unlike Whites. We're used to that shit. White Jews in Blackface, White's playing Asians, Mexicans, and etc. Racial changes to make Whites more comfortable so they don't have to see Blacks or any other Person of Color in their films. That shit has been going on forever.

And let's not pretend there isn't outrage and Butthurt from Whites over changing the race. I can read it right here on DVDTalk and in other places on the net. FB is full of angry White Geeks crying over race changes that don't fit in their nice White World. Did you see some of the tweets from the sad fucks who were pissed when their book images of certain characters from Hunger Games were made Non-White?

Other ethnicities would do the same if their characters were switched to a different skin tone and/or culture. How about if an Asian character were played by a Southerner, or Blade were Latino? Would you want to see Bill Cosby or Rosa Parks played by non-blacks in a biopic?
Correct. But unlike Whites, they're not running things. They're not running Hollywood or anything else. So Whites crying over a perceived hit like changing a fictional character's race when they still run things and are still in charge makes no sense. It's like Hugh Hefner crying, "There aren't enough bitches to fuck".

Personally, I wouldn't care if Blade was Latino. Hey, at least he'd still be a Person of Color, depending on who they cast. As far as Bill Cosby and Rosa parks....REALLY? You're asking me about REAL PEOPLE? Hell, even I would jump on the bandwagon and protest if George Washington was made a Non-White because we KNOW he was NOT a Non-White.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 05-22-13 at 05:36 PM.
Old 05-22-13, 06:34 PM
Banned

My point was that some people think of these characters as being equally "real" with the folks around them every day. As such, any major changes - race, sex, attitude, etc. - get an emotional response, especially if such changes are deemed arbitrary.

For example, Jenny Olsen initially seems that way, but we won't know for sure until the film debuts. If she's a photographer for the Daily Planet with an energetic streak, many fans would deem that ridiculous.
Old 05-22-13, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

No offense, but if someone thinks of Johnny Storm as being on par with Rosa Parks, they're stupid and deserve to have the character played by Gallagher or burning piece of poo or something.
Old 05-22-13, 06:51 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,820 Likes on 1,132 Posts

My point was that some people think of these characters as being equally "real" with the folks around them every day. As such, any major changes - race, sex, attitude, etc. - get an emotional response, especially if such changes are deemed arbitrary.

For example, Jenny Olsen initially seems that way, but we won't know for sure until the film debuts. If she's a photographer for the Daily Planet with an energetic streak, many fans would deem that ridiculous.

I get that. But still. It's comic books and sci fi novels. Also, are they really arbitrary? Long ago they did it so characters wouldn't offend White viewers and they would attend the films. Now they do it to cater to Non-Whites so they'll bring more assess to theater seats. Same difference to me....
Old 05-22-13, 07:33 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I get that. But still. It's comic books and sci fi novels. Also, are they really arbitrary? Long ago they did it so characters wouldn't offend White viewers and they would attend the films. Now they do it to cater to Non-Whites so they'll bring more assess to theater seats. Same difference to me....
I doubt that people in the early days of comics were too worried about offending white people. It was an era where the media didn't cater much to other ethnicities at all. It was wrong, but so is arbitrarily changing characters to make various cultures happy now. Both are unhealthy extremes in a very sensitive issue.

With comics, most characters have been largely unchanged from how they were originally concieved decades ago. The majority of fans know them that way, so filmmakers should stick with it whenever possible. Exceptions do exist, but they're very rare. Making the Kingpin black for "Daredevil" fit because of that film's backstory having him grow up as a thug in the Bronx. If he'd been a corporate titan from the start, they'd have probably stuck with the comics. However, if Michael B. Jordan is Johnny Storm, then he and Sue better be adopted (assuming Allison Williams is playing her).
Old 05-22-13, 07:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hope I have the self control not to see this movie and all others that need to go back to Marvel.

It is time to get all of the Marvel characters under one roof...XMen, FF4 and Avengers together, how cool would that be.

Do we all have the self-control need to pull off such a stunt?
Old 05-22-13, 10:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

However, if Michael B. Jordan is Johnny Storm, then he and Sue better be adopted (assuming Allison Williams is playing her).
These are twin sisters:

It's rare, but I suspect it would be more common with siblings of different ages than it is with twins. There were sisters at my high school that looked like they were completely different races.

But I do agree that having Johnny be black while Sue is white creates an odd level of something that needs to be explained for a popcorn movie.
Old 05-23-13, 02:05 AM
Banned

It just seems like most ethnic or sexual changes to established characters are done arbitrarily, and I'm not a fan of it. If the execs cast someone for Blade, Black Panther, or Steel that wasn't black, you know the NAACP and ACLU would be crying foul.
Old 05-23-13, 05:27 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Iron_Giant
I

Do we all have the self-control need to pull off such a stunt?
No. Fuck Marvel. I hope they never get their characters back. They sold their characters off like cheap hookers, now they get to watch all the other studios fuck em like hookers.

And just today Sony said that they would NEVER sell Spider-man back to Marvel, so that's at least one character you will never see Marvel reacquire.

It just seems like most ethnic or sexual changes to established characters are done arbitrarily, and I'm not a fan of it. If the execs cast someone for Blade, Black Panther, or Steel that wasn't black, you know the NAACP and ACLU would be crying foul.
I just don't get how people can make statements this ignorant. Do you actually think this is an argument? The most defining character trait for most of those characters is that they ARE black. Yeah, you're damn right that people would complain if they made Black fucking Panther white, because it would be utterly retarded. It would literally go against everything the character stands for.

Last I checked, being white was not one of Johnny Storm's defining characteristics, unless he joined the KKK in the last 15 years or something.

Last edited by Dragon Tattoo; 05-23-13 at 05:36 AM.
Old 05-23-13, 06:51 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Stan Lee and other writers have said that the main reason the majority of the characters are white is because it was the 60s and their writers and artists were all white guys. For a white male the character default is going to be white male.

It's not like Stan Lee and Jack Kirby sat down and said "Let's make Human Torch a white guy, it's important to his character." he was made white because every character was white.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.