Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Excalibur (Singer remake) - New, Rumors, Cast, Etc.

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Excalibur (Singer remake) - New, Rumors, Cast, Etc.

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-09, 09:00 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Re: Excalibur (Singer remake) - New, Rumors, Cast, Etc.

Originally Posted by RocShemp

But in all seriousness, Arthur and his knights waging war against Rome and Arthur killing Caeser are a major part of Le Morte D'Arthur. It's just so absurd it just might work as a major setpiece in a remake.

Tony Scott could make it work.
Old 09-01-09, 04:46 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm slightly excited as the Boorman film is, in my view, the only one to even come close to telling this story properly. I've been bugging people (including here) for MANY years about when the Boorman was finally going to give the film the attention it deserves and get it on disc the right way. The guy isn't exactly a spring chicken. We know there's a REAL surround soundtrack (and not the faked one on the current DVD).

At least this will, as someone else said, most likely finally get us the updated and expanded DVD of the 1981 film around 30 YEARS after it came out as one of the very first movies put on DVD.

I'm a bit concerned about Singer. I don't know him well and there will be lots of pressure to do something stupid like A Knights Tale, First Knight or King Arthur (all horrible). I'll be really down if we wait a few years for this only to have it turned into a bubble-gum movie.
Old 07-20-11, 11:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Not sure how this hasn't gotten reported on here in the last year, but looks like Guy Ritchie is in pre-production (according to IMDB) on his own Excalibur, while Singer and Warner Bros. are still in development on yet another version.

From May, 2010:
You remember a while back when we announced that Bryan Singer was attached to direct a remake of John Boorman’s 1981 film, Excalibur? Yeah, that’s still happening, at least inasmuch as the movie is still in development over at Warner Brothers. But, to be honest, Bryan Singer has some other gigs with higher priority, namely X-Men: First Class and a big-screen version of Battlestar Galactica. Not to mention Jack the Giant Killer.

So, get this: Warner Brothers also put a competing production into development. But this one is not a remake of the Boorman film, it’s a big-screen adaptation of Warren Ellis’ Excalibur treatment . Now, the fact that Warren Ellis is working on a Excalibur movie isn’t new — he announced it on his own blog last July. (Coincidentally, Ellis also had a run as a writer of Marvel’s Excalibur — a series that featured Captain Britain and a number of former X-Men members — early in his career).

The news here, actually, is who is angling to direct this version of Excalibur: Some dude named Guy Ritchie. Yes. Ole Lock Stock and Two Holmes. Ritchie’s version is set up at the Hollywood Gang production studio (while Singer’s version is set up at Legendary). Moreover, the take is different. While Singer’s version is closer to a remake of the Boorman film, Ritchie’s possible take is more in the tone of Star Wars, and, as Ellis noted last year, his version “differs from the prior 751 King Arthur movies in many ways, but perhaps most obviously in that it is very specifically about the gathering of the Knights.”

But yes: There are two Excalibur movies in development, and both are set up at Warners, and both are in the script stage. My guess is that Ritchie’s actually has the edge — Ellis has wrapped his treatment, it seems, while there’s no writer yet for Singer’s version. Moreover, Ritchie’s plate isn’t as full — he’s got the Sherlock Holmes sequel, and The Gamekeeper, but we also know that the Brothers Warner is taking another pass on Oliver Butcher and Stephen Cromwell’s Gamekeeper script. So, it’s not ready, either (there’s no hurry on either project; one or both could be finished by the time Holmes 2 is done, which is when Ritchie will likely make the decision on his next project).

I’ve not read any of Ellis’ work in the comics, but I have read Crooked Little Vein and the best I can tell, the man is batshit weird, in the best kind of way. He is brimming with awesome. How that translates into adapting an Arthurian legend, I don’t know. But with Guy Ritchie aboard, and his new mainstream sensibility, I could see this version of Excalibur being huge.

And finally: Just to cover my bases, there’s also some indication that they’re now looking to turn Ellis’ treatment into a full script, and that project is out to writers. That’s not a 100 percent, but my guess is that Warners probably wants to get someone a little more mainstream friendly in there to round out Ellis’ batshit edges.

(Source: The Bad Ass Hollywood Cog)
http://www.pajiba.com/trade_news/exc...-excalibur.php
Old 07-20-11, 11:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Guy Ritchie?
Old 07-25-11, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

No Excalibur remake.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/07/warn...thur-lancelot/
Old 07-25-11, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

$2 million for a modern re-imagining of Arthur and Lancelot. Wow.
Old 07-26-11, 07:31 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

“differs from the prior 751 King Arthur movies..."

-kd5-
Old 07-26-11, 07:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 622 Likes on 480 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
$2 million for a modern re-imagining of Arthur and Lancelot. Wow.
I thought it was actually $90 million.

Anyhoo, someone over at Blu-ray.com said it sounds like a remake of this:

<object width="640" height="390"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/y2CqTsHQ78U&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/y2CqTsHQ78U&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></embed></object>
Old 07-26-11, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

i'm sure Ed Harris is proud of this after all these years
Old 07-26-11, 10:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by RocShemp
I thought it was actually $90 million.
It was $2 million just for the screenplay.
Old 07-26-11, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I'm all for another Arthurian retelling, it's just that there is no need to call it Excalibur and label it a remake. That's holy ground for me.