Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
33.64%
35.02%
16.59%
6.45%
3.23%
0.92%
1.84%
0%
0%
0%
1.38%
"Nein nein nein nein nein nein!"
0.92%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

This is also one of those movies where i will buy the soundtrack too, since i loved all the Ennio music in there.

Also, i kind of chuckled in my head (not out loud) when we got the Tarantino signature bare feet shots
Old 08-21-09, 10:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525

Also, i kind of chuckled in my head (not out loud) when we got the Tarantino signature bare feet shots
Spoiler:
I liked how when Landa asked to see Hammersmark's foot we thought she was going to give him the foot with the cast and see that she had been shot. But then he got the good foot and that was his plan all along. It was genius.
Old 08-21-09, 10:24 PM
Banned

This was a great movie. I started smiling once I saw the 70's/80's era Universal logo and didn't stop smiling for most of the movie. I think I need another viewing though to fully appreciate it.
I loved it but it did seem to have obvious flaws. I think some chapter 1 could have been sharper and more polished in some way. It didnt have the impact I thought it would.

But overall it was funny and cool and the audience seemed to love it.
It was packed at an 11:30 AM showing which really shocked me. and Everyone cheered and clapped like I havn't seen since Bowling For Columbine nearly 7 years ago.
I have a feeling this is gonna do much better than most people (certainly including me) thought.
Old 08-21-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

There was some (Additional) surprises that occured that I did NOT see coming. Two words, "Un Amico". Jaw-droppingly stunner of a sequence.

LOTS still to be said.....
using tags obviously, what sequence was that? as i am not familiar with that piece of music, and will prob get the soundtrack within the next few days
Old 08-21-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I loved the shit out of this one.
Now that's a blurb that should be in the ads!
Old 08-21-09, 10:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
using tags obviously, what sequence was that? as i am not familiar with that piece of music, and will prob get the soundtrack within the next few days
Spoiler:
"Un Amico" is the track that plays right after Shosanna puts her gun down and looks at Zoller's body. I became an immediate lover of the song when I was first introduced to it when the soundtrack-details were first announced (Being a Morricone piece, it's from the film, Revolver)

I wasn't quite prepared that Tarantino would do something magical with the song once the drums kick in....But knowing Tarantino, I shouldn't have been surprised.

Loved all the other tons of nods pertaining to cinema. Ranging from Emil Jannings to "Antonio Margharetti" to the films of G. W. Pabst (Which I happen to be checking out for the upcoming Criterion-challenge)
Old 08-21-09, 10:46 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I also liked the ode to Taxi Driver as Shoshanna goes down to the theater for the premiere.
Old 08-21-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

man i really hate our local critic

http://www.baltimoresun.com/entertai...,7766886.story
i rarely agree with anything he says, so when he mentions a liking to a movie that i liked as welll, its very rare
Old 08-21-09, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
I started smiling once I saw the 70's/80's era Universal logo
I liked that too, although Drag Me To Hell and Land Of The Lost both used the retro logo earlier this summer. Still, it definitely felt right for this movie.
Old 08-21-09, 11:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 109 Likes on 68 Posts

I liked the movie, but was sorta taken aback and a little dissapointed in how much of it was taken from Kill Bill 1 and 2. Im not talking about the music pieces alone, but some of the dialogue and situations. Otherwise enjoyable movie, will probably like it more on subsequent viewings.
Old 08-21-09, 11:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

^I was also surprised that he re-used two Kill Bill music-tracks for this. Then again, "Strawberry Letter #23" appeared in both Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

Originally Posted by mdc3000
I liked that too, although Drag Me To Hell and Land Of The Lost both used the retro logo earlier this summer. Still, it definitely felt right for this movie.
Didn't know those other movies did it. I thought it was Tarantino's idea (Being that he also used the vintage Dimension logo on Death Proof)
For a minute, I was thinking that it would have been an homage to De Palma's Scarface--Even the red, luxorious theater lobby resembled Tony Montana's living room!
Old 08-22-09, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Schloob1
Wow, coming from a guy who has Batman as his avatar. This performance already made you forget about Ledger as the Joker? Still for me personally one of the best in a while. Landa was definitely great and pulled me in like Ledger, but I was definitely more engrossed with Heath's perforance. my opinion of course
Ledger was great, but kind of hammy and scenery-chewing (which is appropriate to the material). Waltz gave a superior performance (and had far superior writing to work with). There's no contest.

Last edited by lamphorn; 08-22-09 at 01:18 AM.
Old 08-22-09, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved this movie. My favorite movie of 2009 for sure so far and it will tough to beat. My favorite QT movie as well.
Old 08-22-09, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts

I liked this a lot. The trailers made it look like it could be just okay but the movie far exceeded my expectations. Then again Tarantino has never really let me down with a movie yet. I'll probably be going back to see it again and would also like to pick up the soundtrack. The most annoying part was this guy in the theater with the most obnoxious laugh at every little thing. I mean there was funny moments but he laughed at the stupidest shit and I just wanted to tell him to shut up. Other than that very enjoyable experience I'd give the movie 4 out of 5 stars.

Last edited by Mike86; 08-22-09 at 02:59 AM.
Old 08-22-09, 07:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 277 Likes on 212 Posts

For two hours it's very good, but it loses steam in its last half-hour. The final act should have been much more suspenseful and much more intricately edited. So I didn't leave as satisfied as I should have.

Even so, it's light years better than most other films I've seen this year (e.g. PONYO, WATCHMEN, UP, STAR TREK, PUBLIC ENEMIES, THE HANGOVER, SLUMDOG MILLIONAIRE, etc.) and it really should be seen on the big screen.

I loved all the film references. Nobody in my audience seemed to get any of them, however. And I fear they're completely wasted on 90% of this board as well. You're in a stronger position to appreciate the film if you go in there knowing who Max Linder, G.W. Pabst, Leni Riefenstahl, and Emil Jannings are and if you're at least mildly familiar with Audie Murphy's backstory. And if you know something about a particular quality of nitrate film (which at least is helpfully explained for you by Samuel L. Jackson's narration in one bit). And one key scene plays much better if you know something about the famous people/characters who need to be identified in a game some Germans are playing in one scene (e.g. "Winnetou"). Tarantino knows who these people are and has clearly soaked up eras of pop culture from other countries and from decades before he was born. That's the mark of a true film lover.

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 08-22-09 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-22-09, 10:25 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane

Like mdc3000, I wouldn't mind an extended cut one bit. Extra scenes that were shot: (That I know of)

-Cloris Leachman scene (Involving Donnie's character and the origin of the baseball bat)
-Maggie's scene (More proof of Shosanna obtaining the cinema)
-Aftermath of the rest of The Basterds
(The trailers/TV spots show Samm Levine's character (Hirschberg?) running,screaming,and shooting a machine gun. Where did this scene go?)
Eli ROth says in the below linked interview that The scenes involving Leachman and Donny Donowitz's backstory WILL NOT be on the DVD at all! He says Tarantino will be saving them in case he makes a prequel film.
http://www.deadlinehollywooddaily.com/

Last edited by chris_sc77; 08-22-09 at 10:42 AM.
Old 08-22-09, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
Eli ROth says in the below linked interview that The scenes involving Leachman and Donny Donowitz's backstory WILL NOT be on the DVD at all! He says Tarantino will be saving them in case he makes a prequel film.
Great! So we'll basically never see them!
Old 08-22-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

full review @ http://celluloidterror.blogspot.com/
Old 08-22-09, 02:38 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Inglourious Basterds - 8.5/10

Much better than Death Proof & very entertaining....
Old 08-22-09, 03:10 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

One thing that didn't make sense is when
Spoiler:
Zoller leaves the theater to go up to the projection room, the negro had already blocked the exits. Was it just me that was doing a head scratch?

Also
Spoiler:
great use of the new rerecorded version of "Cat People". Was glad he got Bowie to do the honors.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 08-23-09 at 02:37 PM.
Old 08-22-09, 03:17 PM

wonderful film. i really liked the western feel it had in the beginning.

hope eli does a commentary for the dvd, because he rules.
Old 08-22-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah

Spoiler:
Anyone else notice Harvey Keitel as the voice of the radio operator Landa and Raine are talking to at the end?
I noticed that too. It was very cool.

I really liked the film overall. It's a little bloated, about 30 minutes could have easily been trimmed, and it is unfocused but the writing and acting was top notch. Very entertaining throughout the whole film. Can't wait to see it again.
Old 08-22-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Loved it... Nothing new to add that hasn't been said, but after a summer of some disappointments, this one was better than I was expecting so kind of refreshing
Old 08-22-09, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
One thing that didn't make sense is when
Spoiler:
Zoller leaves the theater to go up to the projection room, the basterds had already blocked the exits. Was it just me that was doing a head scratch?
Spoiler:
He was sitting in the upper level with Hitler and Goebbels while watching the movie - a section of the theatre that did not get sealed off. So it made perfect sense that he was able to leave and go to the projection booth.
Old 08-22-09, 04:19 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Jack Straw
Spoiler:
great use of the new rerecorded version of "Cat People". Was glad he got Bowie to do the honors.
Is this correct? I haven't been able to find any evidence that it's a re-recording. Sounds like a remixed version to me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.