DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) — The Reviews Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/560105-inglourious-basterds-tarantino-2009-%97-reviews-thread.html)

OldBoy 08-19-09 12:40 PM

Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Please continue pre-hype discussion here: http://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/...roject-27.html

Movie:
"Inglourious Basterds" (2009) (Starring Brad Pitt, Christoph Waltz, Mιlanie Laurent, Diane Kruger, Til Schweiger, Eli Roth, Mike Meyers)

Release Date:
8/21/2009

Rating:
R (for strong graphic violence, language and brief sexuality)

Running Time:
153 min. (2h. 33m.)

Rotten Tomatoes:
Fresh:227 Rotten:29 (89% as of 3/20/10)
RT Link...

Info:
IMDb Link...

Trailer:
<object width="512" height="296"><param name="movie" value="http://www.hulu.com/embed/VKajbXOVR2BkYM_V0hTDhw"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.hulu.com/embed/VKajbXOVR2BkYM_V0hTDhw" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowFullScreen="true" width="512" height="296"></embed></object>

Poster Art:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v6...antversion.jpg
*credit to Lt Ripley for this gem of a poster

Jack Straw 08-19-09 03:16 PM

Re: Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Can't wait for this to hit the screens. I will probably see it this weekend, crowds be damned. I've been on a WWII kick with Band of Brothers, so this movie s/b very satisfying.

chris_sc77 08-19-09 03:46 PM

I have abstained from watching any clips or any spoilers and I am so freakin excited. This move is gonna be like heaven to me.
Took a vacation day from work for this movie. going bright and early to Columbus on Friday morning.

outcastja 08-19-09 07:27 PM

Just found out Quentin Tarantino will be at Arclight midnight showing. Good thing I got my tickets just in time.

Gizmo 08-19-09 07:37 PM

I'll give this one a rental. Curious about the reviews though.

lamphorn 08-19-09 07:59 PM

Originally Posted by outcastja (Post 9656612)
Just found out Quentin Tarantino will be at Arclight midnight showing. Good thing I got my tickets just in time.

I will be there, too!

Rypro 525 08-19-09 11:22 PM

i'll prob hit a midnight screening of this (surprising that there are only 3 theaters in the state that are doing midnight screenings). I'm also surprised that this is only playing on one screen at the big theater by me, given its run time, and whos involved in the movie.

outcastja 08-20-09 08:57 AM

Eberts 4-star review:

http://rogerebert.suntimes.com/apps/...IEWS/908199995

Solid Snake 08-20-09 09:05 AM

I can't wait to see this tomorrow. I took off some work for some vacation solely for this film. I'm also going to drive 4 hours to my hometown to watch it w/ my friends. I can't wait to discuss about it afterwards with a round of drinks.

spainlinx0 08-20-09 10:08 AM

I'm so excited for this. I love everything he has done.

Grubert 08-20-09 01:30 PM

James Berardinelli's 4-star review:
http://www.reelviews.net/php_review_...dentifier=1774

I have found over the years that If James B and Roger Ebert both love a movie, it's pretty much guaranteed it'll be good.

Rypro 525 08-20-09 01:33 PM

granted, aren't both of those 2 (and Peter Travers) all Tarantino fanboys who seem to give everything he does 4 stars

RichC2 08-20-09 01:38 PM

Ebert didn't like Reservoir Dogs (initially at least) or Death Proof.

James Berardinelli gave Kill Bill vol 1 a 2.5 out of 4, Vol 2 got a 3 out of 4, and Jackie Brown got a 3 out of 4 as well.

Goldberg74 08-20-09 01:45 PM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 9658753)
granted, aren't both of those 2 (and Peter Travers) all Tarantino fanboys who seem to give everything he does 4 stars

Ebert hasn't liked all of Tarantino's films. ;)

Inglourious Basterds - ****
Grindhouse/Death Proof - **½
Sin City - ****
Kill Bill Vol. 2 - ****
Kill Bill Vol. 1 - ****
Jackie Brown - ****

Four Rooms - **
Pulp Fiction - ****
Resevior Dog - **½

The Bus 08-20-09 02:32 PM

Is Regal not doing midnight shows?

Patrick_N 08-20-09 03:23 PM

Just back from a screening in Zurich, Switzerland.
Love Pulp Fiction and Kill Bill, really like Reservoir Dogs and Jackie Brown. Grindhouse, not so much so.
The thing that went through my mind leaving the theater: there's been talk about him making this movie for 10 years or more, I would have thought the story could have been a lot more tight.
Bloody nazis are not going to leave their top of the line nut jobs in a cinema with two lone guards at the door of Hitllers balcony. mel brooks did a better job on that in his remake of 'to be or not to be'. there just didn't seem to be any danger in the kino scene, other than from the incredibly well played col. hans landa.
Christoph Waltz steals every scene he is in.
Brad Pitt, great in Snatch and Fight Club, is not much more than a mustach and a thick accent here, one of which is good for some good chuckles.
Took me some time to figure out that Eli Roth is not a relative of Tim Roth but the guy that wrote and directed 'Hostel'. Yeah, but he IS good with a baseball bat.
With my two favorite critics both giving full 4 stars I will watch this one again at the cinemas. Picking the 5pm screening on a Thursday might not have been a great idee. The granny in the seat next to me seemed really disturbed by some scenes. Which made me feel bad for her.
3.5 out of 5, or 3 out of 4. The movie could easily lose a good 15 minutes.
Why bring the British into this?? To be historically acurate... no!?

The Bus 08-20-09 06:22 PM

Looks like you might have to check with your local AMC for a midnight show. Regal is not running any of them (but they ran them for Funny People?) and even AMC is not running them everywhere.

Dr Mabuse 08-20-09 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by outcastja (Post 9657767)

Wow.

I think I'm gonna go see this.

ReduxGuy 08-21-09 12:04 AM

Originally Posted by Goldberg74 (Post 9658797)
Grindhouse/Death Proof - **½

I thought Ebert gave Death Proof three stars and Planet Terror 2½?

The Bus 08-21-09 02:44 AM

Just got back from a midnight showing. The film was great — not action-packed at all, aside from a few scenes, and the pacing was pretty good. Interesting to see Tarantino start to self-reference himself now. If you've liked a majority of his films, definitely go see this.

The Bus 08-21-09 02:47 AM

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse (Post 9659420)
Wow.

I think I'm gonna go see this.

You might go apeshit over tactical/weaponry inaccuracies. :lol:

Rypro 525 08-21-09 02:51 AM

5 words. Tarantino is my fucking hero. he made a movie that was worth the almost 6 year wait since he first announced it. Violent as hell at certain points, lots of moments when the audienced cheered
Spoiler:
hell when Mike Myers' name showed up under the 'guest starring', it got a laugh and applause
, and damn if i say it, Brad Pitt was perfect for the part. Yeah the accent was a bit over the top, but it grew on ya. Oh and a word of caution, probably 70% of the movie is in either German or French w/English subtitles, and there are really only 6 or 7 full scenes in the movie (with 5 chapters in all, kind of like Kill Bill and Pulp Fiction), so scenes do take their time, and boy does Quinten really know how to make a scene suspenseful even with just the dialogue, cause there are several points where you know something bad is gonna happen, but the scene keeps on goin.

I have 2 naration questions
Spoiler:
is that Sam Jackson that did the brief naration during 2 scenes, and when Aldo is talking to the one in command at the end, it sure as hell sounded like Harvey Keitel, was it?

The Bus 08-21-09 02:55 AM

That was
Spoiler:
Sam Jackson doing the "newscaster narration"

as far as your second one, I don't know.

Oh, and fix your spoiler tag. :)

Rypro 525 08-21-09 02:57 AM

got it (hell its even mentioned on imdb in the story section

rabbit77 08-21-09 03:30 AM

Rypro
Spoiler:
It was Harvey Keitel. I knew it as soon as he came on the radio, and it's confirmed in the wiki article.
My initial reaction to the film is it's very good, not a masterpiece, felt like it didn't have enough scenes to tell the whole story. And the chapter cards were unnecessary and pulled me out of the movie every time. I loved the dialogue - it sings. The violence in many scenes is like a punchline of a great joke.

About the movie theater scene
Spoiler:
It's a terrific nod to raiders of the lost ark. When the screen goes up in smoke, and Shoshanna's taunting film is projected onto the smoke, you can't help but be reminded of the spirits coming out of the ark and melting the nazis.

Brad Pitt's performance is that of a cartoon in the trailers, but in the context of the entire film it's very fitting. Especially when counterbalanced against Christoph Waltz' character's eloquence.