Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
33.64%
35.02%
16.59%
6.45%
3.23%
0.92%
1.84%
0%
0%
0%
1.38%
"Nein nein nein nein nein nein!"
0.92%
Voters: 217. You may not vote on this poll

Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-09, 03:42 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: Inglourious Basterds (Tarantino, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

now that i think about it, anyone else think that Sandler wouldn't fit in as Donnie (since he was supposed to have that part, but it went to Eli Roth, who was actually quite good)
Old 08-21-09, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought Eli Roth was very good, and definitely played the part well.

Loved the movie. The only thing that I would have liked to have seen more of was
Spoiler:
Hugo Stiglitz

Easily my top of 2009 so far.
Old 08-21-09, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

I really liked the film, didn't expect most of the movie to be subtitled, which is why I need to watch it again to catch things I may have missed. I thought Christoph Waltz was the best thing in the movie, probably one of my favorite characters from Tarantino.
Old 08-21-09, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the WORST time I've ever had in a movie theater because of this movie. The audience was loud as hell and kept laughing at stuff that wasn't funny. It didn't help that there was a heckler who yelled during a lot of the quiet scenes and everyone laughed at causing me to miss some of the dialogue.

Other than that, great movie. It was a slow burn to an excellent ending.
Old 08-21-09, 06:54 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Saw it again. I felt even more tepid about the movie this time around. I kept getting the feeling that the movie was rushed. It was almost as if every scene couldn't wait to get itself over with. His pacing is dramatically off here; sometimes, the movie rushes through something we'd like to see more of, and sometimes the movie grinds to an almost complete stop at the most inopportune moments.
Old 08-21-09, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I didn't think the movie ground to a halt at all but as Ebert mentioned in his review, Tarantino made great use of dialogue as a build-up. The beginning scene at the LaPadite home was excellent: you knew something was going to go down, but the movie wouldn't get it to it quite yet. I'm a huge fan of Kill Bill but I thought it was too slow when I first saw it in theaters: I had no such issue with this film.

The German performances are excellent even the

Spoiler:
"off-accent" at the tavern is correct
Old 08-21-09, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Robot Rock
I had the WORST time I've ever had in a movie theater because of this movie. The audience was loud as hell and kept laughing at stuff that wasn't funny.
This is one of the reasons I went to a midnight show: the theater would be filled with an appreciative audience. My audience was loud as hell too, but we didn't have a heckler and they didn't laugh inappropriately.
Old 08-21-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well, stop the press, this was as fucking stupendous as I thought it would be from reading the script, and more. I think this WILL do well at the box office, crowd COMPLETELY ate up
Spoiler:
Donny smashing open the Nazi's skull and Stiglitz shooting the colonel in the nuts, and of course the mayhem in the theater
and got a HUGE applause at the end at a suburban central NJ theater. It's essentially a spaghetti-style WWII picture with Tarantino pulling the strings of signature elements from his best films. And I think it's the first time since Pulp Fiction where I can just run down a huge list of fantastic scenes in this, and I'm a HUGE fan of his stuff. Aldo Raine, Hans Landa, and Shoshanna are all iconic characters IMO.

I will do terrible things to see Christoph Waltz get an Oscar this year. Landa is a completely different villain than we've seen before, charming, genuinely funny, charismatic, repulsively arrogant, and sadistic all at once, whereas Nazis are usually portrayed as only having the latter quality. And his mood swings throughout were just seamless, jarring for the right reasons. Also, Brad Pitt might be the only person who could have done Aldo Raine justice (I think Clooney would've done well with it too), it's the craziest turn he's had since Fight Club. His "Italian" disguise...priceless.

So yeah. Best movie of '09. No question.

Spoiler:
Anyone else notice Harvey Keitel as the voice of the radio operator Landa and Raine are talking to at the end?
Old 08-21-09, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by The Bus
This is one of the reasons I went to a midnight show: the theater would be filled with an appreciative audience. My audience was loud as hell too, but we didn't have a heckler and they didn't laugh inappropriately.
Oh, don't get me wrong. I love loud audiences as well. But when you have some guy randomly yelling "fuckin' nazi spic" at Hitler when he first arrives on scene, it's hard to keep yourself in the movie.

Spoiler:
I particularly enjoyed the fact that we cheered whenever a nazi got killed just as the nazi's in the theater hooted and hollered whenever a jew got killed in the movie.
Old 08-21-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Forgot to add, I loved the last line in the movie as well.
Old 08-21-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Robot: I thought the film-within-a-film was a great joke on anyone in our audience who was expecting constant bloodbath versus the long stretches of dialogue we actually got.

I also liked the reference to The Searchers near the end of Chapter One.
Old 08-21-09, 01:00 PM
Admin

Received 466 Likes on 306 Posts

The trailers for this actually looked pretty stupid in my opinion, but since you guys are giving it really good reviews, I probably will see it. I doubt my wife will go with me, so I'll probably go by myself.
Old 08-21-09, 01:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I thought the movie had many laugh out loud scenes personally! It's very over the top. I loved it and Landa is the greatest screen villain to come along in years.
Old 08-21-09, 01:26 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

The trailer made it seem over-the-top in a weird, campy way. It's not. It's over-the-top in the way Tarantino movies are.
Old 08-21-09, 02:51 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by rabbit77
Rypro
Spoiler:
It was Harvey Keitel. I knew it as soon as he came on the radio, and it's confirmed in the wiki article.
My initial reaction to the film is it's very good, not a masterpiece, felt like it didn't have enough scenes to tell the whole story. And the chapter cards were unnecessary and pulled me out of the movie every time. I loved the dialogue - it sings. The violence in many scenes is like a punchline of a great joke.

About the movie theater scene
Spoiler:
It's a terrific nod to raiders of the lost ark. When the screen goes up in smoke, and Shoshanna's taunting film is projected onto the smoke, you can't help but be reminded of the spirits coming out of the ark and melting the nazis.

Brad Pitt's performance is that of a cartoon in the trailers, but in the context of the entire film it's very fitting. Especially when counterbalanced against Christoph Waltz' character's eloquence.
Spoiler:
I recognized Harvey Keitel immediatly
, as for the second spoiler - yes, the visual nod was quite apparent.

On the whole I was generally impressed, but it's definately a movie that will grow on me, since 'Death Proof' didn't wow me immediately, but I've grown to like it immensily.

Last edited by Giles; 08-21-09 at 02:54 PM.
Old 08-21-09, 02:53 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Superboy
Saw it again. I felt even more tepid about the movie this time around. I kept getting the feeling that the movie was rushed. It was almost as if every scene couldn't wait to get itself over with. His pacing is dramatically off here; sometimes, the movie rushes through something we'd like to see more of, and sometimes the movie grinds to an almost complete stop at the most inopportune moments.
yeah, I agree, I wonder what the rough cut clocked in at, wonder if any deleted scenes wind up in the supplemental section of the eventual DVD/Bluray or if an extended cut of the film might appear.
Old 08-21-09, 03:21 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Saw it last night. Fucking fantastic! Only Tarantino could have made this movie. Long stretches of absolutely riveting dialogue leading up to one of the most cathartic climaxes I've seen in a long time. It's a smorgasbord of great scenes and film influences, but I have to say that the sequence where Shoshanna gets ready for the premiere is perhaps Tarantino's best filmmaking to date. I'll be seeing this again ASAP.
Old 08-21-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It's rare for me to see a movie this long and walk out of the theatre saying "Damn, I wish that movie were 30 minutes longer" but that's exactly what I did - I wanted to spend more time with The Basterds. It's not that we get shortchanged or anything, but there are so many interesting characters that we barely get to know, I was longing for more...and that's the mark of a great movie. I loved the shit out of this one. It is easily up there with Tarantino's best (if not at the top) and has become my favourite movie of 2009.

I thought the dialogue was fantastic, the story moved along at a decent pace and there were many of QT's signature style shots. This seems like the movie he's been warming up for - you can see bits and pieces of his earlier work here and there but it all comes off so polished yet effortless, that it just WORKS. LIKE FUCKING GANGBUSTERS. Brad Pitt was terrific and got lots of laughs. I love that the movie walks a fine line in tone between deadly serious and Tarantino's twisted brand of humour. As many have mentioned, Christoph Waltz gives an oscar worthy performance here and really steals a lot of scenes. Eli Roth was better than anticipated and Hugo Stiglitz may be one of my fave characters ever - loved his introduction.

I have to see it a second time to take it all in, but it exceeded my expectations on all fronts and just blew me away. 5/5
Old 08-21-09, 03:54 PM

Good interview on NPR today with Tarantino.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...05&sc=fb&cc=fp
Old 08-21-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it last night at the midnight showing. Fucking loved it. Everyone was great, but particularly Melanie Laurent and Christopher Waltz. It was so much funnier than I expected. I was constantly taking in all the references, from Morricone's Un Amico to what I feel was a nice ref to Truffaut's The Bride Wore Black. Fantastic, I think I'll be seeing it again this weekend!
Old 08-21-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
I didn't think the movie ground to a halt at all but as Ebert mentioned in his review, Tarantino made great use of dialogue as a build-up. The beginning scene at the LaPadite home was excellent: you knew something was going to go down, but the movie wouldn't get it to it quite yet. I'm a huge fan of Kill Bill but I thought it was too slow when I first saw it in theaters: I had no such issue with this film.

The German performances are excellent even the

Spoiler:
"off-accent" at the tavern is correct
I did like the first scene, and it really got me excited for the movie. I just did not like subsequent scenes.
Old 08-21-09, 06:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

MUCH better than I was led to believe (The ranking might shoot up a notch when I see this again---Hopefully this weekend)

Like mdc3000, I wouldn't mind an extended cut one bit. Extra scenes that were shot: (That I know of)

-Cloris Leachman scene (Involving Donnie's character and the origin of the baseball bat)
-Maggie's scene (More proof of Shosanna obtaining the cinema)
-Aftermath of the rest of The Basterds
(The trailers/TV spots show Samm Levine's character (Hirschberg?) running,screaming,and shooting a machine gun. Where did this scene go?)

Too bad that Enzo Castalleri didn't make the cut (BTS footage shows that he's in the front row of the theater in Nazi attire) and it was great to see Julie Dreyfus again Plus it was a good thing that I didn't finish reading the rest of the script online. There was some (Additional) surprises that occured that I did NOT see coming. Two words, "Un Amico". Jaw-droppingly stunner of a sequence.

LOTS still to be said.....
Old 08-21-09, 08:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

LOVED IT!!! Amazing how 2.5 hours felt like much less, also the sign of a great film when I am not thinking is it over yet, etc. Agree with most of the comments and sorry to hear about the person in here who had a heckler, that would suck. Can't wait to get this on dvd and add to my collection.

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I thought the movie had many laugh out loud scenes personally! It's very over the top. I loved it and Landa is the greatest screen villain to come along in years.
Wow, coming from a guy who has Batman as his avatar. This performance already made you forget about Ledger as the Joker? Still for me personally one of the best in a while. Landa was definitely great and pulled me in like Ledger, but I was definitely more engrossed with Heath's perforance. my opinion of course
Old 08-21-09, 08:41 PM

Well sure Heath as the Joker is great. But I think we all knew what we were in for when we walked into the theater to see Dark Knight and the regular movie-going public discovered later.

I was knocked for a loop by Waltz's Landa. Complete and utter cinematic surprise for me. It's rare for me to walk into a film and be just amazed with what I see. That happened today! I'll be there for another showing.
Old 08-21-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 129 Likes on 109 Posts

I rarely ever go see movies twice in theateres these days, but this will probably be one of them.

Just WOW is all I have to say.

This was a hell of a film.

The subtitles went a little too quickly for me at times, but I'll catch it all the second time around.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.