Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Fourth Kind Trailer - Alien Abuctions *Goosebumps*

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Fourth Kind Trailer - Alien Abuctions *Goosebumps*

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-09, 04:00 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: The Fourth Kind Trailer - Alien Abuctions *Goosebumps*

I always knew her name was pronounced that way.

This does look pretty Mothman-ish, but hopefully doesn't tiptoe around the subject the way that movie did. The book was much, much better.
Old 08-17-09, 04:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A entire movie about people that suffer from sleep paralysis. Awesome.
Old 10-16-09, 10:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They showed this last night at a special sneak preview at my university. It was a decent flick, I'm not sure if I would call it a film. A "documentary reenactment" was what they called it. I would say that the case as a whole was more interesting that the film itself, and some of the real footage integrated into the movie was pretty cool and disturbing. However, upon doing some research it seems like the whole thing is bullshit, and it's just some Blair Witch hype. It was safe to say I was a little dissappointed.
Old 10-16-09, 11:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Abob Teff
Chapstick! Oh, wrong movie.

If Milla cares about this movie she will show both breasts ... and I will be there.
She doesn't even have breasts
Old 10-16-09, 03:24 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by rhcp1214
They showed this last night at a special sneak preview at my university. It was a decent flick, I'm not sure if I would call it a film. A "documentary reenactment" was what they called it. I would say that the case as a whole was more interesting that the film itself, and some of the real footage integrated into the movie was pretty cool and disturbing. However, upon doing some research it seems like the whole thing is bullshit, and it's just some Blair Witch hype. It was safe to say I was a little dissappointed.
I read that it is going to be a Blair Witch type thing. I kind of want to see because it's looks cool and creepy. I do wonder if the filmmakers were inspired by the tv movie Alien Abduction: Incident at Lake County.

Last edited by writer106; 10-17-09 at 11:03 AM.
Old 10-16-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
If any scene in this movie can top this scene, I'll be stunned:

Despite it being lowbudget, for me, Communion set the bar for alien abduction type movies. Very atmospheric and scary.

The "actual" psychiatrist with the pixelated face was the one thing that actually bothered me in the trailer. The shaky real footage mixed in looked like the stuff you'd see on UPN back in the day.

It also took me out of the moment when the actress introduces herself and says, "I'll be portraying so-and-so."
Old 10-16-09, 09:58 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,186 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by Numanoid
At least the trailer will teach a lot of people how to properly pronounce Milla Jovovich's name.
Name?
Old 10-18-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 192 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by rhcp1214
Yeah but real case or not...let's forgot about all that for a second....did the film entertain you? Would you watch it again?

Just curious.
Old 10-19-09, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by Rival11
Yeah but real case or not...let's forgot about all that for a second....did the film entertain you? Would you watch it again?

Just curious.
No problem. I would say that the "case" presented in the movie about the people in Nome, Alaska being abducted was what entertained me the most. And at the time, while i was viewing it, i believed it to be true. It intrigued me as an interesting and strange story about UFO abduction. The acting was sub-par, and the mockumentary-style shooting didn't really work well when combined with the "real" footage. As a film, I didn't find it that great. I was "entertained" by the case, but not by the film. And the revelation that it was not a real case or real integrated footage made it disappointing.
Old 11-05-09, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Anyone planning on seeing this opening weekend?

Surprisingly, my g/f is pretty intent on seeing this, so we'll probably check it out on Saturday.
Old 11-05-09, 05:39 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 914 Likes on 774 Posts

Originally Posted by asianxcore
Anyone planning on seeing this opening weekend?

Surprisingly, my g/f is pretty intent on seeing this, so we'll probably check it out on Saturday.
i already saw this and didn't like it a few weeks ago. of course then it was called "Paranormal Activity".
Old 11-05-09, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

^ I fail to see how the two are related, aside from camcorder footage. That's like saying Blair Witch Project and Cloverfield are essentially the same.

The drive-in is showing this with Cirque du Freak. I might hafta go make a double feature this weekend with my gf.
Old 11-05-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 849 Likes on 592 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
i already saw this and didn't like it a few weeks ago. of course then it was called "Paranormal Activity".
I really think you need to watch the trailer again.
Old 11-05-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
]

The drive-in is showing this with Cirque du Freak. I might hafta go make a double feature this weekend with my gf.
Hell yes, the drive-in! Haven't been in years cause my last gf thought it was "white trash"...well who's white trash now, bitch?!
Old 11-05-09, 08:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Coral
I really think you need to watch the trailer again.
I agree, the two look nothing alike.
Old 11-05-09, 08:54 PM

I attended an advanced screening 2 days ago and for what my opinion is worth I enjoyed it much more than Paranormal Activity. Yes, the "real footage" is fake but I still thought it was a unique and original approach to the faux documentary genre.
Old 11-05-09, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by brayzie
Despite it being lowbudget, for me, Communion set the bar for alien abduction type movies. Very atmospheric and scary.

The "actual" psychiatrist with the pixelated face was the one thing that actually bothered me in the trailer. The shaky real footage mixed in looked like the stuff you'd see on UPN back in the day.

It also took me out of the moment when the actress introduces herself and says, "I'll be portraying so-and-so."
I agree with you on Communion. I first saw the movie when I was 9. It scared the crap of me and I couldn't sleep at all that night. I like it more than Fire In The Sky. Another scary type alien abduction movie is Intruders which was a miniseries that aired on CBS back in the early 90's.

Last edited by writer106; 11-06-09 at 01:50 PM.
Old 11-06-09, 01:51 PM

I'll be seeing this later on today with some friends.
Old 11-06-09, 05:17 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac
What about when an alien does an anal probe? Is that called an encounter of the fifth kind?
How about when an alien hides a full sized satellite communications system up your bum that induces fiery flatulence?
Old 11-06-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by writer106
I agree with you on Communion. I first saw the movie when I was 9. It scared the crap of me and I couldn't sleep at all that night. I like it more than Fire In The Sky. Another scary type alien abduction movie is Intruders which was a miniseries that aired on CBS back in the early 90's.
The great thing about Intruders, besides Richard Crenna, is the whole "telephone men ringing on my doorbell" thing, which The Fourth Kind seems to do with the white owl. And Communion has it's moments but the mambo dancing with midget aliens and mustachioed Walken was amazingly weak.

There has yet to be a definitive Alien Abduction movie, which sucks because Spielberg would have done a great one with Night Skies.
Old 11-06-09, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Going to check it out soon but my fav alien abduction film of all time is still Fire in the Sky.
Old 11-07-09, 01:12 AM

Anyone see this movie yet?
Old 11-07-09, 08:33 AM

I saw it last night. It didn't scare me but the white owl thing/alien thing is creepy. The "home video" footage was integrated well with the movie. I did like this a little bit more than Paranormal Activity.
Old 11-09-09, 05:07 AM

I actually thought this was quite effective. The split screens and intercutting took some getting used to at first. It's a unique way of telling a story, and I felt that it paid off. Redundant? Sure, but refreshingly ambitious at the same time. Jovovich was very good here. Will Patton is one of my favorite actors, but he goes a bit too over the top as the sheriff. Elias Koteas is just sort of there.

The mood is very eerie throughout, and there were two scenes that hit me pretty hard, the first one quite unexpectedly. That one was when
Spoiler:
Jovovich plays back the recording she made in her bedroom. The whole thing sent a literal chill through me, particularly the scream. That is without doubt one of the most piercing screams I've heard.
The other was briefly shown in the trailer, what the cop sees above the house.

The film isn't perfect, but I was pretty impressed. The fact that it's all fiction didn't detract from my enjoyment.
Old 11-09-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

I thought the movie was okay. Yes the "real" footage is obviously fake and they try to sell you on certain things that just don't work.

Spoiler:
the whole you can see space ships in egyptian artifacts section. They show what looks to be a rocket till you take a closer look and see a very well lit arm with fingers.

They also don't do a very good job of setting up the characters, who they are and what they are doing. The movie did have a couple good scares that paid off but they quickly go over the top.

Here's what did and didn't work for me

Spoiler:
What worked...The owl was pretty creepy, especially the 360 degree shot where the owl keeps staring at you. The first two hypnosis scenes with her patients, especially the second one in the patients room.

What didn't work...First off Will Patton, I like him as an actor but this was just way over the top. Nothing from the ending worked for me starting when Dr. Abbey Tyler goes under, everything was way too over the top with the alien talking and proclaiming itself to be god. Then it goes to the hospital when they throw out that her husband wasn't stabbed but actually killed himself. It felt like they just had to throw in a twist ending because audiences like that kind of stuff.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.