Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (D. Yates, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (D. Yates, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
6.19%
13.27%
39.82%
9.73%
10.62%
6.19%
1.77%
0.88%
1.77%
0%
0.88%
I live a typical muggle life and have no interest in seeing this world full of magic.
8.85%
Voters: 113. You may not vote on this poll

Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (D. Yates, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-09, 09:02 AM

Received 174 Likes on 124 Posts
Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (D. Yates, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by GenPion
Well, guys, I thought it was a terrible adaptation of the book. What a dreadfully disappointing film. Everything I loved about the novel seemed to be missing or was horribly condensed in this film. David Yates did a good job directing, generally speaking, but even then it didn't feel like a Harry Potter film should. The script felt cobbled together as well - it was poorly constructed to be sure. Scenes that seemed as though they should have been there were not - and I think even people who haven't read the books may feel that way. The cinematography and set designs were great but too dark for this story. In the novel half of the book showed the series at it's most serious and the other half showed it at it's most light-hearted. This movie fails to capture that spirit at all as there is a constant dread build around every scene. This film also failed to create a truly effective ending. Dumbledore's death was hardly worth feeling sad about as presented in this film as it had none of the emotional resonance as it should have. The scene with Dumbledore trying to destroy the horcrux was also ruined by the poor decision by the screenwriter to not follow this passage of the book as closely as possible for a film. Voldemort's backstory was greatly dimished, lowering the impact of the novel all around. Harry and Ginny were essentially boyfriend/girlfriend in the book - and even Ron knows. I guess the film-makers didn't think this was necessary for this point in time. They were wrong.

Last, but most certainly not least, the score was absolutely dreadful. I have never missed John Williams involvement in the franchise more than I do tonight.

There was a lot more wrong with this movie but I do not even want to think about it right now. I am that disappointing by it. This should have been the best in the film series, and one of the best films of all time. Period. J.K. Rowling's novel really was that amazing.
I read the books when my sons did so I could discuss them and found them to be very good stories, so I don't necessarily agree with with the amazing aspect of this particular book, however I do agree with the overall assessment of the movie. While it is a good movie, it really does a disservice to the book.

My two biggest complaints center around the portrayal of Harry and Dumbledore, which has to me been a series long problem. For five movies we have seen the movie character of Harry be built up to the chosen one, somebody actually capable of facing Voldemort. This was often in contrast to the books, particularly the early ones, where luck and circumstance were often the biggest contributor. I know they touch upon this in the films, but Harry was clearly a stronger more confident person in the movies than the book. Finally in the HBP book, we start to see a more confident and stronger Harry, one where readers can finally believe he has a true chance against the forces against him, albeit still requiring much assistance. Harry had truly grown into his life and role in it.

So why in the world does this movie strip all of that, neutering and greatly weakening him? He was essentially impotent in this movie, and it lessened my enjoyment immensely. A few small examples:

Spoiler:
the drinking of the felix potion didn't have to be about a drugged up giddy school boy Harry. Yes, the potion makes him 'lucky', but wasn't really meant to be a more insightful, confident, and prescient Harry? And like many others, I wished the tantamount scene on top of the tower to have been longer, but the thing that really bothered me was Harry not being petrified. The book Harry did everything he could to get out of the effects of the spell to help Dumbledore, and when the spell ended, when Dumbledore died, he immediately went into action. Quite different from the film. I understand the decision since they decided to not film the large battle that takes place after the death of Dumbledore, but that was a stupid decision that greatly lessened my view of the movie Harry, members of the Order, the teachers of Hogwarts, and the students. Lastly, when Harry was chasing the death eaters, he was completely ineffectual. That is not how he should have been portrayed.

I don't think some of these would have been difficult to change, difficult to more properly portray Harry and his allies as the people ready to take on the task of facing the evils that await them. As the movies stand, I have zero confidence or belief that they can.

As for Dumbledore, I have always felt that the films do a very poor job of depicting him as strong as powerful as he was in the books. I don't think he comes across as the greatest wizard in the world, the one that all others including death eaters and voldemort are fearful of. I won't belabor this, but present two small changes from the current film:

Spoiler:
when they finally produce the Slughorn memory the film Dumbledore seems completely surprised by the revelation. The book reality is of course that he already knew, had already figured almost all of it out, and only needed confirmation and perhaps needed to know how many horcruxes there were. It was an easy opportunity to showcase the brilliance and power of Dumbledore. Why so fundamentally change the character? And the scene on top of the tower I thought did injustice to his character as well.

Obviously expectations play a huge part in assessments, and my expectations were far from met. The drastic changes to the characters lessened significantly my view of the film. Perhaps though I am wrong in my views of the books, perhaps others disagree with my take on the film. Given my faulty memory and the time passed since I read the books it is entirely possible that I am out to lunch.

Last edited by Pharoh; 07-16-09 at 10:41 AM.
Old 07-16-09, 09:08 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince (D. Yates, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Without reading anyone else's reviews yet, here's mine (I'm waiting to be thrashed by the HP fanboys and girls):

I haven’t read the book, however, I’d heard some leakings of events after the book was released. Despite that, Harry Potter and the Half-Blood Prince was a long, predictable Lifetime Movie Network sleeper with most of the focus on the love stories. When the silly Quidditch match is the majority of the action for the entire sitting, you could be in for a bit of a nap.

Granted, the book is long and full of detail that can’t possible fit into a single film, but that is likely why, despite the 153-minute run-time, the scenes felt rushed and uneventful. The special effects were on pace with its predecessors – in that I mean they look like they were done 4-5 years ago.

Half-Blood Prince felt like nothing more than a long-winded, anti-climactic, somewhat scatter-brained set-up for the final movie(s). It is also the proud owner of what is likely to be the most unemotional death of a main character (especially considering one that’s been in 5 movies prior) in any A-list movie I’ve ever witnessed.

I give this movie a C+ only for the fact that it was necessary to know how events will unfold in the final chapter. But the content and mood of this installment would have been much better suited as a made-for-TV. If you’re not a hard core Potter addict, wait and rent the DVD.
Old 07-16-09, 09:16 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was very, very disappointed in this film. There was just so much changed/left out that in my opinion is crucial to the story and to the conclusion that it left an awful lot to be desired.

We learned almost nothing of Voldemort's horcruxes, unlike the book in which Dumbledore has put together all of that information except for the last 3 horcruxes. I thought the exclusion of several of the memories from the book (Voldemort's mother/father, Voldemort's employment at Borgin and Burke's, his return to Hogwart's) left out many key elements to understanding Voldemort and exactly what lies in store for Harry. Not having Harry frozen at the point of Dumbledore's death, the "flight of the prince" being so short and undramatic...I could go on and on.

The film was entertaining and all that, but I left the theater feeling very unfulfilled and disappointed.
Old 07-16-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Reading these other reviews, it seems like I may have liked the film precisely because I had last read the book over a year ago (or more). And I didn't like the last film because I saw it right after I read the book.

Simple solution: don't see the film right after you've read the book.
Old 07-16-09, 10:39 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 276 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by Matto1020
I am on the complete opposite side.

I prefer Yates to be able to tackle the last four movies instead of having four different directors. This allows him to set up things for his future flicks, as well as giving these last four movies a continuous style. HP3 feels different than HP1 or HP2, which feels different from HP4, which is feels different from HP5. Last thing I want is to be subjected to yet another persons take on Harry Potter.

Imagine each of the Lord of the Rings movies being directed by someone different... it would definitely not be as good as one director taking the helm. And as far as Curon his concerned... yes it was wonderful he took this franchise from the kiddy flicks to something a little more respectable, but he was no without his faults.

I think style wise, him and Yates are on par so far. HBP is easily my favorite of the Potter books and now the Potter movies. And it pleases me to know that Yates will be handling the last two installments as well!
I'm not saying 4 movies, 4 directors. It could just as easily have been 2 movies 2 directors, keeping Yates on as is, then a new person for the last two. It's not like the series is jarringly different with each new director in any case (to the point of being unwatchable), especially with Kloves on the script for the most part. The fact that the movies felt different is not necessarily a bad thing. Plus a lot of the time, even after the director has left the series, they have an influence on the next movie or so. Columbus stayed on as producer for Azkaban, and it was Cuaron who suggested that Goblet remain as one movie instead of being split.

I was mainly disappointed with the last movie and as such was like "Oh brother" when it was announced that this "new guy" would be doing the entire rest of the series. But after this movie, things appear to be a bit better.
Old 07-16-09, 11:15 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by pinata242
I'm also glad that there wasn't a giant Hogwarts battle like in the book. That never felt right to me anyway and it would have been highly unbelievable seeing it all go down.

I love the quick in & out assassination and extraction of Snape and Malfoy.
See, that's a big problem now with the Malfoy's story though. What was the point to the vanishing chest, if the Death Eaters weren't going to raise hell at Hogwarts? They just show up and do nothing. Malfoy and Snape could have carried out the plot without the chest, and still likely have made it out of there since they all kinda just run out with zero resistance other than Harry.
Old 07-16-09, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though

Originally Posted by The Bus
But it's made up by the fact that Bonnie Wright is kind of hot.

(Yes, she's 18).
I haven't really noticed her in prior movies, but after reading your post, I couldn't keep my eyes off of Bonnie in this movie.

I really liked the film. I too think that the end was more abrupt than I would have prefered and there was a little too much teen romance. But overall, I was very satisfied with it. I even scence that wasn't in the book.
Old 07-16-09, 11:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Well it's a security issue isn't? Hogwarts was supposed to be safe, and it was just proven unsafe. In many ways that's worse than any damage they did do (and they did do some damage in the film).
Old 07-16-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NitroJMS
See, that's a big problem now with the Malfoy's story though. What was the point to the vanishing chest, if the Death Eaters weren't going to raise hell at Hogwarts? They just show up and do nothing. Malfoy and Snape could have carried out the plot without the chest, and still likely have made it out of there since they all kinda just run out with zero resistance other than Harry.
Your spot on here. It was laughably bad how this was portrayed in the film. It was nothing like it could have been based on the book. Where were all the death eaters fighting everyone at Hogwarts with total chaos ensuing for all? This was yet another major missed opportunity.
Old 07-16-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I see your point there, but I guess I'll chalk that up to the fact that Bellatrix and the others never fully trusted Snape and thought that Malfoy could never really pull off the task. So they were there as the back-up to the back-up. If Snape didn't do it and died as a result due to the Unbreakable Vow, then they could've all ganged up on Dumbledore.
Old 07-16-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Pharoh
As for Dumbledore, I have always felt that the films do a very poor job of depicting him as strong as powerful as he was in the books. I don't think he comes across as the greatest wizard in the world, the one that all others including death eaters and voldemort are fearful of. I won't belabor this, but present two small changes from the current film:

Spoiler:
when they finally produce the Slughorn memory the film Dumbledore seems completely surprised by the revelation. The book reality is of course that he already knew, had already figured almost all of it out, and only needed confirmation and perhaps needed to know how many horcruxes there were. It was an easy opportunity to showcase the brilliance and power of Dumbledore. Why so fundamentally change the character? And the scene on top of the tower I thought did injustice to his character as well.
I would agree with you in the first 4 movies. Though, I think the duel in film 5 and the cave scence in this film did a lot to convey the power of Dumbledore. I suspect that
Spoiler:
we will see a lot from Snapes memory in the final film that will convey just how smart Dumbledore was. I am expecting a lot more to be included because they choose to do 2 movies.
Old 07-16-09, 11:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Your spot on here. It was laughably bad how this was portrayed in the film. It was nothing like it could have been based on the book. Where were all the death eaters fighting everyone at Hogwarts with total chaos ensuing for all? This was yet another major missed opportunity.
I think that the film makers choose to not show that so that the
Spoiler:
final battle has more of an impact.
I could be wrong though.
Old 07-16-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush18
I think that the film makers choose to not show that so that the
Spoiler:
final battle has more of an impact.
I could be wrong though.
I agree...it might seem repetitive. At first I was a little disappointed they left it out. But after thinking about it, I applaud the filmmakers for practicing a little restraint.
Old 07-16-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Merkin Muffley
I agree...it might seem repetitive. At first I was a little disappointed they left it out. But after thinking about it, I applaud the filmmakers for practicing a little restraint.
Agreed, otherwise it would be like the Death Star showing up in Return of the Jedi.

I think people need to realize that this is a movie adaptation. You have 2.5 hours to throw in as much as you can and still make it an enjoyable experience. I haven't read the book since it came out, and I'm glad I haven't, as it's good to go in fresh and enjoy what's there.
Old 07-16-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

That's a good point. I didn't like it in the book, personally, so I was ok with its omission in the movie. That said, if it was going to be changed so much, there was no need for their inclusion.
Old 07-16-09, 01:14 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

There was a lot more wrong with this movie but I do not even want to think about it right now. I am that disappointing by it. This should have been the best in the film series, and one of the best films of all time. Period. J.K. Rowling's novel really was that amazing.
Surely you jest. None of the Harry Potters are great literature. Of the seven, Goblet of Fire is the best written, but they all have their problems. Rowling came up with a good set of stories, but her writing is often dreadful. And out of all the books, Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince are perhaps the worst. The first two are simplistic, but at least they're short and have some fun aspects to them. Five and six are so long and bloated. Even with Dumbledore's death six felt anti-climactic.

Is the movie perfect? No. But I think you're highly overestimating the quality of the book when you make your comparisons.
Old 07-16-09, 03:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Surely you jest. None of the Harry Potters are great literature. Of the seven, Goblet of Fire is the best written, but they all have their problems. Rowling came up with a good set of stories, but her writing is often dreadful. And out of all the books, Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince are perhaps the worst. The first two are simplistic, but at least they're short and have some fun aspects to them. Five and six are so long and bloated. Even with Dumbledore's death six felt anti-climactic.

Is the movie perfect? No. But I think you're highly overestimating the quality of the book when you make your comparisons.
My opinion is what it is. My opinion. I love J.K. Rowling's writing and the sixth was my favorite and to me I felt it featured many of the most important thematic elements of the entire series, elements that were not on display here.

Anyway - on to the good news - Nicholas Hooper will not be returning to score Deathly Hollows. John Williams is poised to return!

As taken from Mugglenet:

According to JWFan.net, Nicholas Hooper will not return to score Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows. Hooper has composed the soundtracks for both Order of the Phoenix and Half-Blood Prince.

The post states that the films have put "too great a strain on his family life" and that he believes a "certain composer" [John Williams] should complete the series he started.
Old 07-16-09, 03:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Uch, John Williams can kiss my ass. I'd almost rather see Chris Columbus return.

As for Rowling's writing, it's hilariously bad at times. She picks a word for each book and over uses it to the point where it becomes obnoxious. For example, in the first book, everyone is always turning a different shade of red. If they're embarrassed, happy, sad, sneezy, tired, anything, they turn some shade of red. In Half-Blood Prince, IIRC, everyone is always "beaming" at each other. I wonder if Rowling understands what the definition of the word "beaming" as it relates to facial expressions, because people generally only beam under the happiest of all circumstances. In Half-Blood Prince, everyone is busy beaming at each other you'd think they'd have to have a class just for jaw exercises.

Again, Rowling is not a bad story teller, but she's certainly not a great writer, and I can't imagine any Harry Potter movie becoming "one of the best movies of all time." But that's just my opinion.
Old 07-16-09, 03:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

Originally Posted by SleepyW
Half-Blood Prince felt like nothing more than a long-winded, anti-climactic, somewhat scatter-brained set-up for the final movie(s).
Felt that way about Book 6 as well, though I know you mentioned you didn't read the books.

Though Book 6 had some great moments, I've always felt that it was written to mostly as filler to Book 7 (which I'm reading right now).
Old 07-16-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Pity, I rather liked Hooper's music, especially the score from HP5...
Old 07-16-09, 06:07 PM

Received 808 Likes on 525 Posts

I saw it this afternoon and was completely underwhelmed.

I give it 3 stars (or a C).

I hate that they reduced "The Half Blood Prince" part of the story to a measly three scenes and a stupidly "Luke-I'm-your-father"-like delivery of the revelation.

Sure I liked the movie... and the pacing was good, I just wish that they would have focused on a few different things.

... oh, and Jim Broadbent was fantastic as Slughorn.
Old 07-16-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just saw it tonight and I thought it was good. The visual style and the music especially really set the tone for the movie. There was a lot missing from the book but whatever, if they tried to include everything, the movie would have been like 7 hours long.

Also, the acting seemed to be much much better than the previous films. I guess the kids took some classes in between the last movie and this one.
Old 07-16-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I found the 6th installment of the Harry Potter film franchise to be too reliant of the quick button-hook laughs as it went from scene to scene in the opening act, while trying to lay the foundation of the ominous plans of the dark prince, moving chess pieces in place, playing with the souls of characters in this battle of light and dark powered by magical machinations.

The film has many problems, as the main 3 characters (Harry, Hermione, and Ron) don't really have much to do beside provide comic relief scenes stemming from teeenage love triangle angst, and even the supporting Hogwarts characters have even less to do, which was too bad. The insertion of the new teacher at Hogwarts, Professor Slughorn, was too ham-fisted in light of his contribution to the overall plotline. The last 45 minutes were a chore to sit through because it was just flat-out boring. At 150+ minutes, the film was just too long given the plot points covered. The film short-changes the "Half-Blood Prince" angle too.

Daniel Radcliffe hasn't improved all that much in the acting department, which was disappointing, perhaps Director Yates just wasn't interested in getting a better acting performance from him. To me, it just leads to this meandering lacksadaisical energy to the film. Plus, he still plays Harry as the accidental wizard without as much confidence or conviction he should have at this point in the series. Now, not everything was poorly done, there are some nicely composed shots in the film, with some interesting lighting as the dark minions do what they do best, and Hogwarts early colorful palette from the previous film has been transitioned into a more muted color palette to bolster the simmering darkness a-brewing.

I give it 2.5 stars, or a grade of C+.
Old 07-17-09, 12:14 AM

Received 1,930 Likes on 1,139 Posts

I haven't read any of the books and never will. I've seen all of the movies except Order of the Phoenix. I thought this was the funniest of the HP films and fairly enjoyable. There were a few manufactured "cute" moments that played to complete silence to a fairly-packed house and the ending felt rushed and it was obvious something was missing. Oh, and why don't wizards know a spell to put out a fire?!

My order:
1. Prisoner of Azkaban
2. Half-Blood Prince
3. Goblet of Fire
4. Sorcerer's Stone
5. Chamber of Secrets
N/A Order of the Phoenix
Old 07-17-09, 12:27 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Suprmallet what gives you the right to talk down John Williams what film scores did he burn you on!

List them if you would please.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.