Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The First Avenger: Captain America (2011, Johnston) - News, cast, rumors

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The First Avenger: Captain America (2011, Johnston) - News, cast, rumors

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-09, 01:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
re: The First Avenger: Captain America (2011, Johnston) - News, cast, rumors

matt damon actually fits the mold. he's in his thirties so he can be made to look like he can be in his twenties to film the origin scenes and for the rest of the movie and the avengers movie, he can just play his normal age. i could see him holding his own against robert downey jr, edward norton, and sam jackson. it has to be a well known actor, not because of the looks, but the voice. damon has that. i like actors that have that unique voice. that's why i never was sold on maguire as spider-man, for a character that's behind the mask a lot, spidey's voice should've been as good as the voice that barnes did as spidey in the fox animated series in the 90's. but it was a letdown. tobey's voice was too flat and dull.
Old 07-07-09, 10:49 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No matter what. Cap is going to be younger than Banner, Thor *visually speaking cuz..he's a god), and Stark. It's going to have to be played by a younger actor. I'm not talking a teen actor here...but someone to Cap in his early-mid 20s (which depending on the age of the actor can be anywhere in the 20s range, once you hit 30 it gets more iffy). You know why all the Avengers respected so much? the Legend was the man. He was trained to perfection. Combat, military warfare, strategy etc. He can't be played by a 40 yr. old man.
Old 07-07-09, 10:59 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

7-10 years ago, I'd say Matt Damon would have been my first choice for Cap, now, not so much.

Anyone bothered about Captain America being the first "steroid-ish" super-hero with the super soldier serum coursing through his veins?
Old 07-07-09, 11:02 AM
Banned

No, it's the 40s. It was an experiment. I'm not saying it's cool..but it was the only way I guess to do it. Kinda creeped out at times that they wanted an army of them...and it seemed right that Cap was the last of his kind. Issues like that were brought up in the comic too.
Old 07-07-09, 12:21 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Paul Walker
Old 07-07-09, 01:34 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by DRG
Paul Walker
Too old.....and No.
Old 07-07-09, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
No matter what. Cap is going to be younger than Banner, Thor *visually speaking cuz..he's a god), and Stark. It's going to have to be played by a younger actor. I'm not talking a teen actor here...but someone to Cap in his early-mid 20s (which depending on the age of the actor can be anywhere in the 20s range, once you hit 30 it gets more iffy). You know why all the Avengers respected so much? the Legend was the man. He was trained to perfection. Combat, military warfare, strategy etc. He can't be played by a 40 yr. old man.
you are missing the point. marvel is casting this part more, for if anything, for the avengers initiative movie then for the cap solo film. i bet 70% the film will be set in today's age while the other 30% will be told in his WWII days. the current cap in the comics, you know, the one that was supposedly killed, isn't a young kid. he is in his 30's. it would look incredibly stupid for a kid in his early 20's to be giving orders in the avengers film. go to the superherohype boards and it's been discussed to death. it can't be a kid.
an actor in his 30's, that for some scenes can be made to look like he's in his 20's. how hard is that.
i still like damon as cap. i thought damon looked 34-35, found out he's 38. but he looks younger than he is. plus since he's behind a mask for most of the film, his voice must be distinguishable.

Last edited by Son of Odin; 07-07-09 at 01:47 PM.
Old 07-07-09, 01:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

So now late 20s/early 30s actors are "TOO OLD"??

Yeah, let's cast CW rejects in everything.

Didn't Paul Hardcastle teach you anything? In World War II, the average of an American soldier was 26. In Vietnam... it was 19.

Nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh na-na-na nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh NINETEEN
Old 07-07-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Ryan Gosling. Just film some of the pre-serum scenes, then bulk him up, and film the rest.

Old 07-07-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Matt Damon as Cap.

IF producers think he is too old, I wouldn't mind Chris Pine as Cap.
Old 07-07-09, 01:58 PM
Banned

I see what I for to put in there...."but someone to play Cap..etc"

I'm not missing the point. I think we all know a Cap film leads to an Avengers flick..cuz as much as I can see it the only Cap film that'd work is a WWII one. We all know he grows into the WWII Legend as he was known back in the day. How old is Stark in the comics? Physically speaking he's about the same age as Downey Jr. now..which works. Thor is Thor, Banner too is around Stark's age. The youngest one of the original Avengers was probably Wasp and Giant/Ant man (though Pym was older than Wasp). I think somehow it worked out cuz Cap was a mature badass. He wasn't a young prick or anything...he was a full on matured soldier by the time he met the Avengers, albeit a bit naive at times cuz..well..it's been a while.

He's in his 30's now..cuz..he's been out of the ice for a while. It can be played by a 20 something year old. I think it'd also only make sense to end a Cap film end with him in the ice..possibly being discovered a bit which easily leads to the Avengers. Cap was like in his mid 20s when he was iced. The youngest an actor can be to play Cap as he starts off is mid 20s cuz that's an easier transition to him being the modern day legend we all know and love.
Old 07-07-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 194 Likes on 159 Posts

Originally Posted by MrSmearkase
How about Mark Valley?
Winner winner chicken dinner.
Old 07-07-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Didn't Paul Hardcastle teach you anything? In World War II, the average of an American soldier was 26. In Vietnam... it was 19.

Old 07-07-09, 02:56 PM

So now late 20s/early 30s actors are "TOO OLD"??

Yeah, let's cast CW rejects in everything.

exactly. i also don't think the entire film will be set during WWII. because the beginning of the avengers movie can't be them unfreezing cap and telling him to lead these superheroes right off the bat. sounds retarded, right? some of the cap movie must be set during current times.
Old 07-07-09, 02:59 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Matt Damon as Cap.

IF producers think he is too old, I wouldn't mind Chris Pine as Cap.
I agree with both parts. damon doesn't look as old as he does. he can easily pass as someone in his late 20's. easily. plus, he's the leading vote getter so far over at the hype boards. plus, his voice carries the tone and the experience needed to play someone behind a mask.
Old 07-07-09, 03:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Would Damon even want to? I mean isn't Captain America kind of an antiquated, conservative idea now? I don't know anything about the comic though... just sayin.
Old 07-07-09, 03:26 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I actually like the Ryan Gosling suggestion. I'd rather them approach a capable actor rather than an unknown that looks the part.
Old 07-07-09, 03:26 PM

i'm sure he would for the money and the opportunity to play an iconic character. captain america is as much a symbol and a belief than a man. who wouldn't want to be cap?
i just hope it's not some dude from the cw or friday night lights bs.
Old 07-07-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Son of Odin
i'm sure he would for the money and the opportunity to play an iconic character. captain america is as much a symbol and a belief than a man. who wouldn't want to be cap?
i just hope it's not some dude from the cw or friday night lights bs.
Bingo. Cap is the leader of the Avengers, how would it work if the leader of the avengers was some CW guy, when you have Downey JR and Norton filling out the roster. Not only is Cap going to be the leading man in his movie, he should be the central figure in the Avengers movie as well.
Old 07-07-09, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Bingo. Cap is the leader of the Avengers, how would it work if the leader of the avengers was some CW guy, when you have Downey JR and Norton filling out the roster. Not only is Cap going to be the leading man in his movie, he should be the central figure in the Avengers movie as well.
and that's the point i have been trying to get across.
Old 07-07-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Captain America was not the original leader of the Avengers and he was not immediately made the leader when they found him. Perhaps they will go with the Demon in a Bottle storyline with Stark relinquishing command of the Avengers in a second movie. And simply because of what he did in WWII, fighting with the Invaders, fighting Red Skull, fighting Baron Zemo, "sacrificing" himself to save London from a V2-ish rocket, that made him a legend and would have had Thor, Hulk, and Stark respect him even if he was just 27 or so.

The only thing I see as a problem is that if you cast an older guy as Cap, then you lose the chance to do multiple solo pictures or have to space them out. I do like Matt Damon as Cap, but he probably wouldn't make many because of diversifying his roles.
Old 07-07-09, 06:03 PM

favreau already stated that iron man 2 will use some elements of the demon and the bottle storyline but not enough to weigh down and slow down the movie. and he's right. we don't need another leaving las vegas...the high tech version anyway. i can settle for a 27 year old playing him also, but a lot of people here think he should be in his early 20's. as long as whoever plays cap can make us really believe that he can lead men into battle is the most important part. he has to ooze confidence and leadership.
Old 07-07-09, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 383 Likes on 244 Posts

Chuck Norris
Old 07-07-09, 08:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I thought Cap didn't age. Hasn't Marvel done a few stories set in the future where Cap's super soldier forum kept him young (maybe part of an interaction with the serum being frozen)? When he's unfrozen he should look the same age as when he first got the serum.
Old 07-07-09, 10:01 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

You get one zillion cool points for the Paul Hardcastle reference.

In Vietnam, the combat soldier typically served a twelve month tour of duty but was exposed to hostile ire almost every day.

Nuh-nuh-nuh-nuh-NINETEEN

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.