DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   The First Avenger: Captain America (2011, Johnston) - News, cast, rumors (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/557759-first-avenger-captain-america-2011-johnston-news-cast-rumors.html)

Doctor Gonzo 11-10-08 05:20 PM

Joe Johnston to direct Captain America

Good choice, I say - solid work. Hope he delivers the goods!

LOS ANGELES – Captain America has a new boss.

Joe Johnston, whose credits include "Jurassic Park III" and "Jumanji," has been signed to direct the comic-book adaptation "The First Avenger: Captain America," Marvel Studios announced Monday.

The movie is scheduled for release May 6, 2011, the same weekend that Marvel scored a blockbuster this year with "Iron Man," starring Robert Downey Jr. "Iron Man 2" comes out May 7, 2010.

Distributed by Paramount Pictures, "Captain America" is based on the Marvel Comics character Steve Rogers, who volunteers for a research program that transforms him into a patriotic super-soldier. The lead role has not yet been cast.

Marvel also is teaming Captain America with Downey's Iron Man, the Incredible Hulk, Thor and other superheroes from the comic-book giant's vaults for "The Avengers," due in theaters July 15, 2011.

Johnston is directing "The Wolf Man," an update of the horror classic starring Benicio Del Toro and Anthony Hopkins that comes out in 2009. His other credits include "Honey, I Shrunk the Kids," "The Rocketeer" and "October Sky."

wm lopez 11-10-08 05:34 PM

I like this director's work.
Can't wait.

Hokeyboy 11-10-08 05:42 PM

Meh. Never has done a film I really liked. The closest was "The Rocketeer" and even THAT was clunky and uneven.

I was hoping for John Milius. :(

dx23 11-10-08 05:43 PM

I liked the Rocketeer. If he does Cap the same way, this may be a good film.

PopcornTreeCt 11-10-08 06:02 PM

I thought October Sky was ridiculously good. I think he has potential. I don't have high hopes for this after seeing footage for Wolverine. Not that the two are necessarily related.

fumanstan 11-10-08 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9063902)
I don't have high hopes for this after seeing footage for Wolverine. Not that the two are necessarily related.

I don't get it then, what does how Wolverine looks affect your hopes for this?

Ronnie Dobbs 11-10-08 06:21 PM

I thought The Rocketeer was a box office bomb.

Troy Stiffler 11-10-08 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs (Post 9063945)
I thought The Rocketeer was a box office bomb.

Without looking it up, I don't think that it made much money. But a lot of folks seem to like it.

I actually never noticed that Joe Johnston directed The Rocketeer. I just remember him making Jumanji and Jurassic Park III.

He's certainly a competant director. His movies are enjoyable fluff. Nothing has really hit me hard yet. Maybe this will be the one. Who knows?

clappj 11-10-08 08:22 PM

I think that he'll do fine. :)

PopcornTreeCt 11-10-08 08:36 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 9063909)
I don't get it then, what does how Wolverine looks affect your hopes for this?

Because I really liked what Marvel did with The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man. However, Wolverine just looks terrible. I'll stay optimistic though. I just have it in my head that these 2 movies would be similar.

GenPion 11-10-08 08:49 PM

I was hoping to direct this one myself someday. As an aspiring film-maker I was hoping to write a script for Captain America that I could direct. Maybe when the series is ready to reboot in ten years I can bring my own take on the character to the screen. Fingers crossed.

I personally would love a Captain America film inspired by Ed Brubaker and Steve Epting. Or an actual script that follows some of Brubaker's story... one can dream, right? Take note Joe Johnston.

JumpCutz 11-10-08 09:24 PM

I'm okay with Joe Johnston, but would have preferred to see McG or GenPion directing this.

True_Story1011 11-10-08 09:40 PM

I hope the film stays true to WWII era and doesnt have him wake up until right at the end of Iron Man feature (making it ready for The Avengers film - and have flash of him meeting at the end of the Capt. American film)

fumanstan 11-10-08 09:52 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9064212)
Because I really liked what Marvel did with The Incredible Hulk and Iron Man. However, Wolverine just looks terrible. I'll stay optimistic though. I just have it in my head that these 2 movies would be similar.

Gotcha. I think most people have been enthused by the early peak at Wolverine, so I was confused.

BJacks 11-10-08 10:29 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9064212)

Well, the difference is that Marvel made Hulk and Iron Man themselves, whereas Fox is making Wolverine (and reportedly with some interference from its studio head). Captain America -- and the other big films like Thor and Avengers -- will be flying solo under the Marvel Studios shingle.

B5Erik 11-10-08 10:34 PM

I love the choice of Johnston as director for Captain America. Bring on the Rocketeer style WWII look!

I'm looking forward to this one.

GenPion 11-10-08 10:43 PM

Originally Posted by True_Story1011 (Post 9064369)
I hope the film stays true to WWII era and doesnt have him wake up until right at the end of Iron Man feature (making it ready for The Avengers film - and have flash of him meeting at the end of the Capt. American film)

The end of the first film shouldn't necessarily even involve present time. That's what I would prefer anyhow. The sequel, of course, would be well timed to have him revived around our own present time. It would be interesting to see how Captain America would feel to wake up to an America facing a harsh economic crisis and to see his reaction to the divided America created following 9/11. It would certainly raise some great thematic moments.

If he wakes up at the end of the first film though I will be disappointed. I just want a solid origin film that covers WWII era Cap and his fight against the Nazi's and Red Skull.

MaxMFP 11-10-08 10:58 PM

This film is destined to fail.

Jesus Fucking Christ this film is destined to suck and Fail.

Ugh.

MaxMFP 11-10-08 11:00 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 9064333)
I'm okay with Joe Johnston, but would have preferred to see McG or GenPion directing this.

You are dead to me.

What the fuck has happened to modern-day cinema? Seriously?

JumpCutz 11-10-08 11:15 PM

Originally Posted by MaxMFP (Post 9064555)
You are dead to me.

What the fuck has happened to modern-day cinema? Seriously?

-wink- Over the head.

fumanstan 11-10-08 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by MaxMFP (Post 9064550)
This film is destined to fail.

Jesus Fucking Christ this film is destined to suck and Fail.

Ugh.

You base that off the director choice? I don't think he's that bad, no worse then Favreau I'd say, and certainly has a better resume then Favreau.

MaxMFP 11-11-08 12:09 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 9064615)
You base that off the director choice? I don't think he's that bad, no worse then Favreau I'd say, and certainly has a better resume then Favreau.

Cum Stain Posing as a Modern-Day Commando Cody ( "Rocket Men From the Moon" my Ass)

Honey, I Shrunk Our Stupid-Assed Kids Who Never Listened To Our Directions To Always Stay Out of the Motherfucking Attic

October Sky (this movie sucked)

Jumanji (Robin after he was funny with a bunch of fake-looking CGI Rhinos)

GenPion 11-11-08 12:32 AM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 9064594)
-wink- Over the head.

Yeah, it was clearly a joke you made. Modern day cinema is in fact still alive and well. Even with hack's like McG and GenPion. Oh, wait... that's me! ;)

fumanstan 11-11-08 12:52 AM

Originally Posted by MaxMFP (Post 9064665)
Cum Stain Posing as a Modern-Day Commando Cody ( "Rocket Men From the Moon" my Ass)

Honey, I Shrunk Our Stupid-Assed Kids Who Never Listened To Our Directions To Always Stay Out of the Motherfucking Attic

October Sky (this movie sucked)

Jumanji (Robin after he was funny with a bunch of fake-looking CGI Rhinos)

Wow, you're so clever! No "witty" title changes for those last two?

MaxMFP 11-11-08 12:58 AM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 9064715)
Wow, you're so clever! No "witty" title changes for those last two?

Like they needed them?