Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The First Avenger: Captain America (2011, Johnston) - News, cast, rumors

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The First Avenger: Captain America (2011, Johnston) - News, cast, rumors

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-10, 05:38 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts
re: The First Avenger: Captain America (2011, Johnston) - News, cast, rumors

I like what I've seen of him so far (FF, Sunshine, Street Kings) Disaster averted.
Old 03-22-10, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah I liked all of those as well. And Push was alright.

Lets move foward now.
Old 03-22-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Idiotic fanboys across the Internet are screaming how IMPOSSIBLE this is, because he's already the Human Torch and that will fuck up any potential screen crossover... without any understanding about how Fox owns FF rights and will never let them revert back to Marvel Studios. At least not for the time being, anyhow.
Old 03-22-10, 07:33 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Also, it's not like an FF/Captain America crossover is the first thing that comes to mind when you think of Marvel crossovers.
Old 03-22-10, 07:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Idiotic fanboys across the Internet are screaming how IMPOSSIBLE this is, because he's already the Human Torch and that will fuck up any potential screen crossover... without any understanding about how Fox owns FF rights and will never let them revert back to Marvel Studios. At least not for the time being, anyhow.
*sigh* I'm glad that I'm a big comic book fan and a cinephile. I know the way things work w/ these things.
Old 03-22-10, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

They'll be ok when FOX recasts Channing Tatum as Johnny Storm and bury that franchise forever.
Old 03-22-10, 07:45 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Add to that the fact Fox will be rebooting the FF series, just so they can keep the rights. I would really hope though that a proper version of Avengers #4 could be translated to the big screen, specifically the addition of Namor finding Cap in Alaska; Universal's lack of action should revert the rights back to Marvel.
Old 03-22-10, 07:55 PM
Banned

They theoretically still can do that. As long as Marvel produces and let's Universal distribute it ala Norton's Hulk. But....as much as I love Namor in the classic tales he's in....They MIGHT just use him for Cap. Cuz it was mentioned that the WWII superhero team, The Invaders, would be involved too. I dunno exactly if they can use the Original Torch or not...that might still fall under the Fox banner...which is sad.
Old 03-22-10, 08:02 PM

Yeah, I read on CHUD that Marvel can use the original Human Torch and by extension Vision. Also, they have the Skrull race but not the Super Skrulls?

Introducing him in this film would be good and have that segue into The Avengers and off-shoots of that would be cool; like an Avengers sequel with Captain America, Thor, Namor, Wasp and Ant-Man would be awesome
Old 03-22-10, 08:05 PM
Banned

You forgot Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk there buddy.
Old 03-22-10, 08:53 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The casting of Chris Evans is the best superhero casting since Bale as Batman and Evans as Johnnie Storm. Chris Evans is going to make this movie awesome. He's been the most underrated charismatic leading man actor.
Old 03-22-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 75 Likes on 56 Posts

He's got 5+ years on him since he was first cast as Johnny Storm. That will help.
He seemed likable enough in FF (though I disliked the way the material was treated). I could imagine him being a decent Steve Rogers.
Old 03-22-10, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
The casting of Chris Evans is the best superhero casting since Bale as Batman and Evans as Johnnie Storm. Chris Evans is going to make this movie awesome. He's been the most underrated charismatic leading man actor.
RDJ as Tony Stark? I think he's an OK choice, but I don't think his casting is going to get many comic book fans particularly excited.
Old 03-22-10, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Talk about hyperbole. He's not really a leading man. Sure he seems pretty likable and has some screen presence...he's an average actor at best. Considering his filmography, to mention him in the same breath as CB (or RDJ) is just laughable.
Old 03-23-10, 02:16 AM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Talk about hyperbole. He's not really a leading man. Sure he seems pretty likable and has some screen presence...he's an average actor at best. Considering his filmography, to mention him in the same breath as CB (or RDJ) is just laughable.
That's the thing. I look at him but don't see him as a leading man. Him giving orders to RDJ or Norton would be funny.

Norton and RDJ are both Academy Award nominated actors. Evans did a great job in Sunshine but that's about it. Had he been more consistent I would have routed for him but I just don't know. Can Evans even do a good job with a crappy director like Johnston?

Uhm no.
Old 03-23-10, 02:26 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Are we forgetting that they almost chose Channing Tatum? We all know that an elder actor wasn't going to be picked for Capt. America (Jon Hamm, Aaron Eckhart). Hollywood likes youth, so Chris Evans is probably the most likable young male actor today...Think of all the hot young actors - who are they? Are they likable? Not really, that's why it was pretty close between Evans and Krasinski bceause they are both so likable. Because Chris Evans has such a good personality, I think his movie Captain America is going to be better than the comic book Captain America. He was so boring and dull in the comic. He's like Duke in G.I. Joe, not that special or interesting...
Old 03-23-10, 02:31 AM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
You forgot Iron Man and The Incredible Hulk there buddy.
Yeah, I don't think that by the time a sequel is done they'll have them as members although it would be cool to see at least two with that group. I think after the first Avengers, it should be a franchise setup for the ones that would be tough to do solo films of.
Old 03-23-10, 02:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by JumpCutz
Considering his filmography, to mention him in the same breath as CB (or RDJ) is just laughable.
Well, to be fair both of them had far more films under their belt when cast. I think this is a good compromise between a fresh, young guy and some level of proven experience.

Regarding the Avengers storyline(s), isn't Captain supposed to be the young one? Is that ever an issue? Or are they just all supposed to be 30 somethings?
Old 03-23-10, 02:42 AM

Well there have been storylines where there's tension between Iron Man and Captain America because Iron Man has the seniority but Cap is a living legend, even if he's younger than the others.
Old 03-23-10, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I contend that Chris Evans is better suited to play Bucky Barnes, who was Cap's sidekick in WWII, but later assume the mantle of Captain America after Steve Rogers is gunned down and "killed" (from a storyline 2+ years ago).
Old 03-23-10, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bucky Barnes and Robin are too 1960s - the teen boy sidekick is just dated and wrong.
Old 03-23-10, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Chris Evans, your new Captain America!

http://www.movieline.com/2010/03/o-c...in-america.php

http://www.superherohype.com/news/ca...ws.php?id=9193

Our nationwide crisis is finally over, everyone: After a grueling Captain America audition process that saw virtually every adult male try out for the role, including John Krasinski, Ryan Phillippe, Dane Cook, everyone who’s ever been a day player on Gossip Girl, David Archuleta, House minority leader John Boehner, and Sean Young dressed in an off-brand Captain America costume purchased from Party World (that, due to licensing issues, was named “Admiral United States”), the role has finally been filled!

The winner is Chris Evans, who darted in at the end of the casting process after many shortlists came and went. Says Heat Vision:

Sources tell us the actor has not only accepted Marvel’s offer, first detailed on Friday, but that the dealmaking moved so fast it’s now all about dotting the i’s and crossing the t’s.

Evans was offered the role in Marvel Studios’ production last week, but there was some question of whether he would accept. Factoring in to the choice was the fact that Evans played Johnny Storm, the flame-covered superhero known as the Human Torch in Fox’s Fantastic Four movies. Was he ready to play another superhero and take on the trappings that come with such a high-profile part?
Old 03-23-10, 09:19 AM
Banned

Are we forgetting that they almost chose Channing Tatum? We all know that an elder actor wasn't going to be picked for Capt. America (Jon Hamm, Aaron Eckhart). Hollywood likes youth, so Chris Evans is probably the most likable young male actor today...Think of all the hot young actors - who are they? Are they likable? Not really, that's why it was pretty close between Evans and Krasinski bceause they are both so likable. Because Chris Evans has such a good personality, I think his movie Captain America is going to be better than the comic book Captain America. He was so boring and dull in the comic. He's like Duke in G.I. Joe, not that special or interesting...
Have you read the the ongoing run by Ed Brubaker? I think it's damn good. Amazing in some parts.
Old 03-23-10, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 731 Likes on 533 Posts

We all know that an elder actor wasn't going to be picked for Capt. America (Jon Hamm, Aaron Eckhart).
I still pick Eckhart as Hawkeye. Heck, even Thomas Jane as Hawkeye would rock!
Old 03-23-10, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Have you read the the ongoing run by Ed Brubaker? I think it's damn good. Amazing in some parts.
Wish they would get Brubaker to write the screenplay... I like Evans as Cap. Sure he hasnt been a leading man yet, but this is his shot.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.