Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
6.00%
3.60%
16.00%
9.20%
12.80%
6.00%
10.00%
6.80%
8.00%
2.80%
3.20%
I have no desire to avenge the fallen and transform into a moviegoer for this.
15.60%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-09, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by BernieStolar
Devastator should have stood up and looked huge not crawled like a gorilla.
It COULDN'T stand up. It was seven giant robots combined...it was too heavy to stand up. They played further on this with the difficulty it had climbing the pyramid. Does NOBODY pay attention?
Old 07-04-09, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by greg9x

The instant filght to cybertron made no sense... thousands of years spent fighting over Earth, why not go to another solar system and build the energon collector there ?

It wasn't Cybertron...it was Mars. (I *think* - it definitely wasn't Cybertron though)
Old 07-04-09, 05:05 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,873 Likes on 1,153 Posts

Saw it again Friday night just because I wanted to get out...It still entertained me.

I'm not saying I Loved TF2; but even with the many "issues" people here have with the film...some real, many imagined , it's still not nearly as bad as many make it out to be.

Last edited by Giantrobo; 07-04-09 at 05:14 AM.
Old 07-04-09, 05:11 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by abrg923
with the exception of the Constructions, since most of them were never named.
Yeah but they were Brightly colored, unlike the rest of the Decepticons. That said, they totally screwed up because AFTER Devastator merged, they flipped back to the Desert and the same Constructicons were chasing Sam. Wasn't Long Haul(Green Dump Truck) in the quarry next to the Twins and the two guys?
Old 07-04-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by iggystar
I usually don't argue too much about a person's love for a movie, believe me my opinion has gone against the masses many times (loved Hulk, loved Terminator: Salvation), but for all of you who enjoyed ROTF, please explain to me how you gave it a passing grade with the horrible design of the bots and the many incomprehensible fight scenes. Both were my main gripes.

The humor and lack of character development can chalked up to what a person enjoys personally from a summer movie, but can you excuse my previous points? Were you able to clearly see what was going on in those scenes? Did the bot design look good to you? Did those things matter? Honestly, sometimes you can't pinpoint the reasons you enjoyed a movie, the sum of it all is just good to you. Is that the case here?

It's also weird to me that some who like this movie have a long list of cons that seem to be integral to a movie being successful.
Terminator Salvation? God that movie is horrible. Even worse then Transformers ROTF.
Old 07-04-09, 11:20 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

No. Salvation is a much better film than TF2.
Old 07-04-09, 11:31 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I hated that movie. Very dissapointing IMO
Old 07-04-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

No way. Salvation was a top-10 AFI film compared to TF2. Yeesh.
Old 07-04-09, 01:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 213 Likes on 179 Posts

How about this? Both of 'em sucked! What's the point of comparing crap with more crap?
Old 07-04-09, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
How about this? Both of 'em sucked! What's the point of comparing crap with more crap?
Say what you will about T:S. But at least it can be taken seriously. Its robots don't fart, cry, talk like retards, hump anyone's legs, or go to heaven.

And I liked every design in T:S. Unlike TF2, where I pretty much hated ALL the new designs.

Also, I only rolled my eyes once or twice in T:S. During TF2, I don't think I ever stopped rolling my eyes.
Old 07-04-09, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by TheMovieman
Because I actually enjoyed T:S. I'll be adding it to my collection, as I can imagine watching it a few more times. TF2...well, you can't pay me to sit through that one again.
Old 07-04-09, 03:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 75 Likes on 64 Posts

After seeing the film this morning I agree with you. I would watch T: S over TF2. This was the biggest piece of shit movie Michael Bay has ever done. The only thing that made this movie decent was Megan Fox. It felt like a 4 hour movie. Does a film about transforming robots need to be that long??? There wasn't many interesting action scenes, the robot designs were crap, and Robot heaven was the biggest WTF moment. The humor in this one just falls flat. I laughed many times in the original. Maybe once or twice for this one. And people in my theater actually clapped at the end! I seriously considered torching the place. I will avoid TF3 like the plague.
Old 07-04-09, 04:01 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Aside from the surround sound cutting out more frequently than usual, I liked it. Yeah there were some horribly delivered lines (Tyrese, man, wow), and it wasn't much different from the first movie, but it was still a fun ride. I don't see how they can take this material any further, as far as a sequel is concerned. It didn't have to be so long, and they could've fleshed out the transformers more (which annoyed me in the first movie, and this movie), but Shia is a pretty appealing lead. I'm gonna try to see this on the fauMAX because at least the sound will kick ass.
Old 07-04-09, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 249 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by mhg83
And people in my theater actually clapped at the end!
Same thing happened in the theater I saw it in yesterday. At first I was baffled, but then I realized they must be clapping because it was finally over.
Old 07-04-09, 04:06 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Terminator Salvation and Transformers 2 are equally bad in different ways.
Old 07-04-09, 04:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Brack
Aside from the surround sound cutting out more frequently than usual, I liked it. Yeah there were some horribly delivered lines (Tyrese, man, wow), and it wasn't much different from the first movie, but it was still a fun ride. I don't see how they can take this material any further, as far as a sequel is concerned. It didn't have to be so long, and they could've fleshed out the transformers more (which annoyed me in the first movie, and this movie), but Shia is a pretty appealing lead. I'm gonna try to see this on the fauMAX because at least the sound will kick ass.
I saw it in Digital IMAX. Compared to REAL IMAX it sucked but the sound was incredible.
Old 07-04-09, 04:26 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Terminator Salvation and Transformers 2 are equally bad in different ways.
All I know is that I came out of T:S with a big smile. After seeing TF2, all I felt for TWO DAYS was shame, anger and disgust.
Old 07-04-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RD1973
All I know is that I came out of T:S with a big smile. After seeing TF2, all I felt for TWO DAYS was shame, anger and disgust.
Complete opposite reaction here.

TF2 is far superior to T: S and the box office reflects it.

Last edited by dan30oly; 07-04-09 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-04-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by RD1973
I hope you took a Rape Shower when you got home.
Old 07-04-09, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by dan30oly

To each their own. But this movie did great at the box office because it was riding the coattails of part one, which was actually decent. I expect a Matrix Revolutions box office drop-off for TF3.
Old 07-04-09, 05:26 PM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I hope you took a Rape Shower when you got home.
Nothing helped until last night when I watched Public Enemies. Damn good film! I feel like myself again.
Old 07-04-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,717 Likes on 1,070 Posts

That's like saying American Idol is a good show because millions watch it. Public opinion is a poor indicator of quality.

Everyone I know that thought TF2 was decent wouldn't know a good movie if it clubbed them between the eyes.

The sheer laziness of the bad edits and color-repaint Transformers pisses me off just thinking about it. I've never had a problem with Bay, aside from thinking his movies have steadily declined in quality from The Rock on, but now I think he actually thinks the audience for this movie is so stupid they wouldn't notice lazy filmmaking because there are so many BIG EXPLOSIONS AND MEGAN FOX!!!!111!!!!! Even if I thought the movie was good, I wouldn't like it for that reason alone.

I can't believe anyone who appreciates good cinema would be ok with a director that holds the viewer in such contempt he can't even be bothered to make logical edits and explain how Transformers who died in the first movie are back with a new paint job.
Old 07-04-09, 09:10 PM

My review of the film for all to read:

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen is the second movie in the Transformers series and this time the Autobots have formed an alliance with a secret division of the US military to weed out any remaining Decepticons after the destruction of the all spark at the end of the first film, but when Sam Witwicky (Shia LaBeouf) discovers a shard of it while moving to college, the race is on to find it and set about an ancient prophecy.

Now, I have to say that Revenge of the Fallen was a big letdown overall; don’t get me wrong it was nice to see the return of Frank Welker as Soundwave, who nicely channels Dr. Claw from Inspector Gadget, a voice I thought I would never hear on the big screen and I loved Peter Cullen as Optimus Prime and the fight sequence in the forest with Prime taking on Megatron, Starscream and Grindor all at once is wonderful.

But even with all those positives, sadly I can’t summon up any enthusiasm for this movie as a whole, as it was far too long by at least 45 minutes, I still wish that Welker had been given his rightful place as the voice of Megatron, there was no real through line to the story as it felt scattered and in the end, all it did was signify sound and fury and special effects and lots of money that ended up not having any heart or emotion to it, as even the movie’s best moment comes undone by the end.

As for my final rating, I’m going to give this 2 out of 5 due to the positives above but apart from that, there wasn’t much to this movie at all that warrants an immediate ticket purchase and after last year’s The Dark Knight, this is a real shame.
Old 07-04-09, 10:20 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Wow, where can I get some of your happy pills? By that logic, Meet the Fockers is a better movie than Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Uh huh.
Old 07-05-09, 08:46 AM

Originally Posted by valkyrie
Wow, where can I get some of your happy pills? By that logic, Meet the Fockers is a better movie than Raiders of the Lost Ark.

Uh huh.
when you perform a proper analysis and adjust for comparison, raiders of the ark blows meet the fockers away. so no its not better using his logic.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.