Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
6.00%
3.60%
16.00%
9.20%
12.80%
6.00%
10.00%
6.80%
8.00%
2.80%
3.20%
I have no desire to avenge the fallen and transform into a moviegoer for this.
15.60%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-09, 08:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen (Bay, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

You can't possibly fault Megan Fox for anything she's said in this little spat. She is 100% correct and Michael Bay is 100% douchey.
Old 07-03-09, 08:13 AM

Originally Posted by abrg923
The film is rated PG-13. I think that alone states that you shouldn't be taking 8-10 year olds to see it.
A giant robot movie based on the Transformers action figures and cartoon that you can't take 8-10 year olds to see. Brilliant!
Old 07-03-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by abrg923
The film is rated PG-13. I think that alone states that you shouldn't be taking 8-10 year olds to see it.
Yeah, the millions of 8-10 year olds who watch Transformer cartoons and own the toys probably wouldn't want to see the movie. I'm sure they don't beg their parents to go see it. Of course, since the source material is a family-friendly cartoon series, I doubt most parents would think there would be drug jokes and cursing robots in the movie.

By the way, who were the Twin robots designed to appeal to? Their humor seems very juvenile. Oh, I know, I bet they created them to pull in the 20-30 year old age group.
Old 07-03-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stingermck
His comment about Cage makes me though. The Rock was just his first action movie, which became his thing in the late 90's.
No kidding! Right off the top of my head a whole 10 years before Bay's film he was in these "little" films:

Moonstruck
Raising Arizona
Peggy Sue Got Married
Honeymoon in Veags(couple years later)

Of course until he was in The Rock I had no idea this guy even existed or was a "big actor"
Old 07-03-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SteelWill
You can't possibly fault Megan Fox for anything she's said in this little spat. She is 100% correct and Michael Bay is 100% douchey.
Megan just seems childish to me. She's hot, really hot, but I think in one sense Bay is right. She has been very ungrateful to Bay and the Transformers franchise. Did she really think the Transformers was going to be something that would rely on her acting skills? Sometimes when I hear what comes out of her mouth I think to myself "ok Megan" also. But you watch Shia interviews and he's a lot more of a loose and fun person then Megan seems. At first what Megan said made me think she was just independent and willing to speak her mind, now I think she's just kind of a bitch.
Old 07-03-09, 11:45 AM

Bay is right? Fox says Transformers is not about acting, Bay says that's ridiculous because Cage, Smith, et al are stars because of him. That doesn't prove Fox wrong, that proves Bay is arrogant beyond belief. Plus, there's the nagging fact that Bay movies are never, ever about acting. So do tell, in what sense is Bay any sort of right? I really don't care either way about Megan Fox, maybe she is being ungrateful for speaking her mind, but I'll make no secret I dislike Bay, precisely because of his attitude and his movies.
Old 07-03-09, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

This whole thread is bitching about, among other things, the lack of good acting in the movie. So now one of main stars says the same thing, and people are now going to side with Bay?
Old 07-03-09, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by stingermck
This whole thread is bitching about, among other things, the lack of good acting in the movie. So now one of main stars says the same thing, and people are now going to side with Bay?
Bay is a douche and the movie does suck. But I guess what we're saying is that maybe she did diss that kid on purpose afterall. Because she is acting like a first rate bitch.
Old 07-03-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 241 Likes on 177 Posts

Interviewer: Mr. Bay, how do you sleep at night knowing your movies are not about acting and are all action.

Michael Bay: On a bed made of money with many beautiful women.

(I love that line-yes I know it's not his but am just using it here)
I enjoy some of his movies (The Rock, Armageddon) and don't really care for others (Transformers, Bad Boys, etc) but it's all personal preference and let him have his say in things, I just watch his movies.

As for Megan Fox, she can talk? Hadn't noticed because damn is she hot.
Old 07-03-09, 02:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ugg...just saw it. Wow, that was bad.

My question is this...why can they digitally add giant robots fighting in every scene, but they can't remove Shia's bandaged hand? You'd think the guys at ILM would find that a breeze. That gigantic hand-cast that shows up for no reason whatsoever stuck out like a sore thumb (pun indeed intended) throughout the last part of the movie. Go figure.
Old 07-03-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,909 Likes on 1,172 Posts

< Enjoying all the OCD BAY/TF2 HATE in this thread. Please keep it comin' guys, keep it comin'.
Old 07-03-09, 02:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I guess it'll be a great time to post this amazing video from two years ago:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WN25hFa1rms&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WN25hFa1rms&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Still cracks me up.
Old 07-03-09, 02:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by RD1973
Bay is a douche and the movie does suck. But I guess what we're saying is that maybe she did diss that kid on purpose afterall. Because she is acting like a first rate bitch.
I find this hilarious. How often do we watch EPK's for bad movies and grimace as normally intelligent actors speak so highly of a crap director or film? Yet now, we get something that almost never happens, a main actor speaking out against the film while the movie is in its theatrical run, and we're calling her a bitch. Amazing. Fox is spot on. Maybe she said it because she actually does want to develop her acting range, and knows that Transformers is a dead end for that sort of thing. Or maybe she did it to be a bitch, but in this case, the bitchiness is tempered by the fact that she's totally right.
Old 07-03-09, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I find this hilarious. How often do we watch EPK's for bad movies and grimace as normally intelligent actors speak so highly of a crap director or film? Yet now, we get something that almost never happens, a main actor speaking out against the film while the movie is in its theatrical run, and we're calling her a bitch. Amazing. Fox is spot on. Maybe she said it because she actually does want to develop her acting range, and knows that Transformers is a dead end for that sort of thing. Or maybe she did it to be a bitch, but in this case, the bitchiness is tempered by the fact that she's totally right.
Maybe hypocrite is the right word. She has reaped all the rewards from these two movies and NOW she speaks out. If she were serious about acting, she never would have been in these movies in the first place.

Its like when Sandra Bullock trashed Speed 2 AFTER it bombed. It was just an attempt to save face. Keanu Reeves read the script and passed. That I can respect.
Old 07-03-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 258 Likes on 188 Posts

Just got back from the theater. I have to say that going in I had figured that it was just all the film snobs who were bashing this movie, but now I know that wasn't the case. The movie was way too fucking long and dispite all the explosions was very boring to boot. And the George Lucasesque humor certainly didn't help things. Had I worn my watch, I would have checked it on numerous occasions because I was ready for the movie to end long before it did. They certainly took a big step backwards with this one.

*edit* Oh, and for the record, I liked the first one. A lot.

Last edited by Maxflier; 07-04-09 at 04:08 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Saw this on IMAX last night and was horribly bored and underwhelmed. The first was one of my favorites of 07 (I think?), but it felt like they took all the fun out of it and just added piles of shit action on top of piles of more shit action until I was actually enjoying the 'dialog and character' scenes more. I had two really big problems with this:
Spoiler:
I'm sure it was already mentioned, but they basically rendered the whole first movie fucking useless within a half hour. Why the hell did that shard of the allspark just sit in his old shirt doing nothing for two years? Why the hell were they keeping that other piece of the allspark under military control? You would think that the first movie would have proven that the robots can get to whatever they want. Shia's DUI cast also drove me nuts. After being blown up about 72 times it did get a little dusty.

And two words that almost made me walk out: Robot Heaven. Unbelievable.

The IMAX print was gorgeous and if you're going to go, I couldn't recommend an actual IMAX for this more highly. But I'll chime in with the chorus of folks that thought the haters were artsy film snobs, but it turns out they were absolutely correct on this one IMHO.

There was one part regarding a frat guys tight shirt that I thought was hilarious, but other than that I wanted the parents and their comic relief to die a horrific death.
Old 07-03-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by SteelWill
Bay is right? Fox says Transformers is not about acting, Bay says that's ridiculous because Cage, Smith, et al are stars because of him. That doesn't prove Fox wrong, that proves Bay is arrogant beyond belief. Plus, there's the nagging fact that Bay movies are never, ever about acting. So do tell, in what sense is Bay any sort of right? I really don't care either way about Megan Fox, maybe she is being ungrateful for speaking her mind, but I'll make no secret I dislike Bay, precisely because of his attitude and his movies.
Bay is right in that Megan is acting childish and ungratful. Honestly, if Megan Fox didn't dress like a slut, nobody would give a shit about her. She's not a good actress. And she read the script and decided to be in the movie. Did she really think that Transformers was going to be a movie focasing on her acting ability? People go to see Transformers to see giant robots duke it out.

You guy's keep bitching about the movie but everybody knows that it's going to have a weak story but tons of jaw dropping effects. Did you really expect to get a strong story with better acting from a Michael Bay movie? Did you really leave the theater going "Holy shit! Things were blowing up everywere and the acting was horrible! I'm so fucking shocked that Michael Bay would do something like that!" Did some of you see the movie just so you could bitch about? You walk int to the theater knowing what your going to get........
Old 07-03-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Blu Man
Bay is right in that Megan is acting childish and ungratful. Honestly, if Megan Fox didn't dress like a slut, nobody would give a shit about her. She's not a good actress. And she read the script and decided to be in the movie. Did she really think that Transformers was going to be a movie focasing on her acting ability? People go to see Transformers to see giant robots duke it out.

You guy's keep bitching about the movie but everybody knows that it's going to have a weak story but tons of jaw dropping effects. Did you really expect to get a strong story with better acting from a Michael Bay movie? Did you really leave the theater going "Holy shit! Things were blowing up everywere and the acting was horrible! I'm so fucking shocked that Michael Bay would do something like that!" Did some of you see the movie just so you could bitch about? You walk int to the theater knowing what your going to get........
I, like others, really LIKED the first one, and HATED this one. The first one didn't have near as much shitty dialogue as this one, nor did it have the Twins, 2 dog humping scenes, a robot humping scene, a robot crying scene, an unfunny pot brownie joke, an extremely annoying roommate character, and many other things. Everything is worse in this movie. The action is worse, the editing is worse, the dialogue is worse, and the plot is worse. EVERYTHING IS WORSE. THAT is why we HATED it.

The same group of critics who combined to give the first one a 57% on Rotten Tomatoes combined to give the sequel 20%. There is a reason for that. It's not that they didn't know what to expect. The reasons are what I listed above.

Everyone who liked the first one, but hated the sequel knew 100% what to expect. We just didn't expect everything to be so fucking horrible.

Last edited by Mr. Cinema; 07-03-09 at 08:23 PM.
Old 07-03-09, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I guess it'll be a great time to post this amazing video from two years ago:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WN25hFa1rms&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WN25hFa1rms&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Still cracks me up.
That was awesome. Thanks for the post. I can't wait for his four hour movie with only explosions!

As for Transformers 2, I actually kinda enjoyed it. Sure, the plot was a mess but I definitely wasn't bored. Plus, it was great seeing in IMAX. It's a definite guilty pleasure for me and I enjoyed it vastly more than Wolverine and Terminator Salvation. I might actually check it out again in IMAX before Potter comes out.
Old 07-03-09, 10:46 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by RD1973
Maybe hypocrite is the right word. She has reaped all the rewards from these two movies and NOW she speaks out. If she were serious about acting, she never would have been in these movies in the first place.

Its like when Sandra Bullock trashed Speed 2 AFTER it bombed. It was just an attempt to save face. Keanu Reeves read the script and passed. That I can respect.
Well, I can see having that reaction after seeing the final product. In the first movie, you did care about the humans, even if the acting wasn't particularly "deep." Not so in this one. And Michael Bay's defense is hilarious. Would it have taken much to say, "Megan Fox is right, but now she's famous because of it"? No. But instead he says "No man my movies are AWESOME and I turn everyone in my movies into huge celebrities!"

And for all the people saying "What did you expect?" I refer you to Mr. Cinema's post above.
Old 07-03-09, 11:34 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Mr. Cinema
By the way, who were the Twin robots designed to appeal to? Their humor seems very juvenile. Oh, I know, I bet they created them to pull in the 20-30 year old age group.
Really? Because I'm 21, and I didn't find that funny at all. In fact, there was nothing funny in this movie.
Old 07-04-09, 12:26 AM
Banned by request

Guys, we've got a broken sarcasm detector in post 596.
Old 07-04-09, 12:35 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Somebody call Bob Hoskins' to fix that thing....
Old 07-04-09, 01:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Sorry, I guess I'm not over the mess that was Transformers 2 yet.
Old 07-04-09, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by iggystar
I usually don't argue too much about a person's love for a movie, believe me my opinion has gone against the masses many times (loved Hulk, loved Terminator: Salvation), but for all of you who enjoyed ROTF, please explain to me how you gave it a passing grade with the horrible design of the bots and the many incomprehensible fight scenes. Both were my main gripes.

The humor and lack of character development can chalked up to what a person enjoys personally from a summer movie, but can you excuse my previous points? Were you able to clearly see what was going on in those scenes? Did the bot design look good to you? Did those things matter? Honestly, sometimes you can't pinpoint the reasons you enjoyed a movie, the sum of it all is just good to you. Is that the case here?

It's also weird to me that some who like this movie have a long list of cons that seem to be integral to a movie being successful.
I honestly think that people with that particular gripe simply don't pay attention. Yes, I could tell clearly what was going on. Yes, the designs looked good. Yes, I could pinpoint each Autobot and Decepticon, with the exception of the Constructions, since most of them were never named.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.