DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/556872-mission-impossible-ghost-protocol-cruise-star-produce-jj-abrams.html)

Troy Stiffler 10-28-11 09:11 AM

Re: Mission Impossible 4 -- Coming 2011 -- Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Way better trailer. That dance song in the first one was like a failed experiment. Very akward.

RocShemp 10-28-11 09:37 AM

Re: Mission Impossible 4 -- Coming 2011 -- Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 10982858)
<div><iframe frameborder="0" width="576" height="324" src="http://d.yimg.com/nl/movies/site/player.html#shareUrl=http%3A%2F%2Fmovies.yahoo.com%2Fmovie%2F1810179899%2Fvideo%2F27082832&vid=27082 832"></iframe></div>

New trailer. I think I like the teaser better, but this still looks great to me.

The video is no longer available. Here it is from YouTube:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/dWI-C-aD1W4?hd=1" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

EDIT: the other video seems to be working again. Weird.

Shilex 10-28-11 09:52 AM

This looks good. It'll be nice to see what Brad Bird can do in live-action. Even though it's tough to take Tom Cruise seriously now in a movie, I think this will be pretty entertaining.

RocShemp 10-28-11 10:00 AM

Originally Posted by Shilex (Post 10982954)
Even though it's tough to take Tom Cruise seriously now in a movie

Why do people have such a hard time seperating his personal life from his onscreen persona?

MrSmearkase 10-28-11 10:13 AM

/\ No shit. :shrug:

islandclaws 10-28-11 10:46 AM

I'm gonna third that. I don't give a shit what Tom Cruise does in his personal life. The guy is a great actor, and that's ALL that matters.

raven56706 10-28-11 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Shilex (Post 10982954)
This looks good. It'll be nice to see what Brad Bird can do in live-action. Even though it's tough to take Tom Cruise seriously now in a movie, I think this will be pretty entertaining.

please explain how its hard to take AN ACTOR serious?

Ash Ketchum 10-28-11 12:04 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10983027)
I'm gonna third that. I don't give a shit what Tom Cruise does in his personal life. The guy is a great actor, and that's ALL that matters.

I wouldn't call him a great actor, but he's a great movie star. He's got a limited range, but within that range he certainly delivers the goods. The best "acting" I've seen him do was in COLLATERAL and I believe he pulled that off because he simply drew on sociopathic elements within his own makeup and channeled them into the role of a very devious hitman. Even his portrayal in MAGNOLIA drew on the dark side of himself. And it was a very brave thing for a movie star to do. I don't like MAGNOLIA but I give props to any star who steps out of his comfort zone and opens himself up like that. Did Burt Reynolds or Tyrone Power ever do anything like that? Not that I recall. Cruise might even win an Oscar someday for a role that draws on his darker side. (He was nominated for MAGNOLIA.)

JumpCutz 10-28-11 12:19 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10983027)
The guy is a great actor, and that's ALL that matters.

A GREAT actor? rotfl

A lot of his work is cringe worthy and he can be distractingly bad at times. He's a big movie star and commands the screen I'll give you that...and I don't give a shit about his personal life.

Sure he can be good...his best work arguably being Born on the 4th of July and Magnolia.

Watch him in Top Gun, Legend, Days of Thunder, Far and Away, Cocktail, Valkyrie, Eyes Wide Shut (great movie, very self conscious performance) The Last Samurai etc...this is not a GREAT actor at work.:lol:

Shilex 10-28-11 01:10 PM

It's about his mannerisms now. After his entire escapade of goin "crazy" and that Scientology video, all I see is crazy in his eyes (especially when he does that smile). Kinda like Mel Gibson. I'm able to separate between acting and the real person, but sometimes their personal lives can and do overshadow their work in film. It makes it that much harder to watch them and actually enjoy them. Can you honestly admit that when you watch The Naked Gun and OJ Simpson comes on the screen, you see just an actor and nothing else comes to your mind?

Now, of course, when an actor does an amazing acting job in a movie - it can make you completely forget about who they really are - but I'm pretty sure Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol is not going to be Tom's career defining performance.

superdeluxe 10-28-11 01:36 PM

Originally Posted by RocShemp (Post 10982962)
Why do people have such a hard time seperating his personal life from his onscreen persona?

It's too difficult to avoid US magazine and other gossip magazines

superdeluxe 10-28-11 01:40 PM

Great Trailer btw :D

Kory 10-28-11 02:55 PM

There's another awesome clip on Yahoo of Tom Cruise actually running around on the outside of that building: http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1810179899/video/27069638

Pretty crazy. I'm not at all afraid of heights and I'd gladly do something like that, but it's crazy to see an A-list actor man up and do that.

Solid Snake 10-28-11 03:01 PM

very much so. How do they insure him on stuff like that?

Sonic 10-28-11 03:53 PM

The trailer is awesome! :thumbsup:

islandclaws 10-28-11 03:54 PM

Originally Posted by JumpCutz (Post 10983158)
A GREAT actor? rotfl

A lot of his work is cringe worthy and he can be distractingly bad at times. He's a big movie star and commands the screen I'll give you that...and I don't give a shit about his personal life.

Sure he can be good...his best work arguably being Born on the 4th of July and Magnolia.

Watch him in Top Gun, Legend, Days of Thunder, Far and Away, Cocktail, Valkyrie, Eyes Wide Shut (great movie, very self conscious performance) The Last Samurai etc...this is not a GREAT actor at work.:lol:

Admittedly, I haven't watched a lot of his films, so maybe I just thought he was great in the ones I did bother with. Look, I know the guy ain't Cary Grant but he's loads better than half the guys working today.

nando820 10-28-11 04:04 PM

If I was still 13 i would say that looks like the best movie ever! Ah fuck it, I'm pumped watching that trailer

Sonic 10-28-11 04:06 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10983493)
Admittedly, I haven't watched a lot of his films, so maybe I just thought he was great in the ones I did bother with. Look, I know the guy ain't Cary Grant but he's loads better than half the guys working today.

I'll come to your defense and say that Tom Cruise IS a great actor.

I love Collateral, Minority Report, You Can't Handle The Truth, Mission Impossible II, The Last Samurai, and some others forgot the names.

Dragon Tattoo 10-28-11 04:25 PM

Tom Cruise is a great actor. I'll never admit otherwise.

I'm so excited for this movie. I loved the first trailer with the Eminem song and this one was pretty OK, too.

This and Dragon Tattoo are all I'm looking forward for the rest of the year.

Throwing Copper 10-28-11 06:56 PM

This looks really good. I still like Cruise's movies even if other people seem to have a problem with him since he went off the deep end.

I will put Born on the 4th of July and Magnolia up against plenty of the greatest performances.

Artman 10-28-11 07:26 PM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper (Post 10983681)
I will put Born on the 4th of July and Magnolia up against plenty of the greatest performances.

Those are my go-to films for defending Cruise as well. Know a lot of current 20somethings that could pull off a 'Born on the 4th' type of performance these days?

candyrocket786 10-28-11 10:08 PM

Legend is and always will be FUCKING AWESOME!

superdeluxe 10-29-11 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 10983706)
Those are my go-to films for defending Cruise as well. Know a lot of current 20somethings that could pull off a 'Born on the 4th' type of performance these days?

I know this has already been mentioned, but Cruise playing a anti-cruise role in collateral was just great.

Ranger 10-29-11 01:23 PM

Originally Posted by Sonic (Post 10983491)
The trailer is awesome! :thumbsup:

Yep!

JumpCutz 10-29-11 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal (Post 10983493)

Don't sweat it KC, I was just bustin' your balls a little. :D

Yeah he is indeed better than lots of the younger stars now featured on the big screen.