DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol - Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/556872-mission-impossible-ghost-protocol-cruise-star-produce-jj-abrams.html)

PopcornTreeCt 12-13-11 04:10 PM

Re: Mission Impossible 4 -- Coming 2011 -- Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 11041285)
Did 2 work better for you?

God no. It was definitely better than 2 but I like the first one the best.

Dr. DVD 12-13-11 04:23 PM

Re: Mission Impossible 4 -- Coming 2011 -- Cruise to star and produce with JJ Abrams

FWIW, I don't have the hate for II everyone else does. It was sappy and almost a mockery of what John Woo movies are supposed to be , but I found it entertaining. I basically look at it for what it is, a PG-13 franchise movie done in the style of John Woo, though not a John Woo film. I also loved the approach they took of saving all of the major action until the end and going all out.

bluetoast 12-13-11 04:28 PM

I've only seen 2 and 3 once, and in theaters, but I didn't enjoy them that much (especially after 3 was hyped up so much). I really liked 1, and am very much looking forward to 4 though.

Solid Snake 12-13-11 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 11041324)
FWIW, I don't have the hate for II everyone else does. It was sappy and almost a mockery of what John Woo movies are supposed to be , but I found it entertaining. I basically look at it for what it is, a PG-13 franchise movie done in the style of John Woo, though not a John Woo film. I also loved the approach they took of saving all of the major action until the end and going all out.

I don't hate MI2 but...I kind of like it. Just action..cuz...it's too much Woo in a way. Like...it's too dramatic for it's own sake woo. Almost hammy at times. I do enjoy it though..there are cool moments w/o action in there..but it takes a bit to get that times.

slightly off topic: How well does MI1 look on BD? I saw it on DVD for the first time 3 weeks ago...I was left underwhelmed by the image of it.

Supermallet 12-13-11 05:47 PM

Looks okay on Blu-ray. Nothing special.

And fuck MI2. Fuck it right up the ass.

Osiris3657 12-16-11 12:26 AM

Checked out an IMAX showing tonight. It was alot of fun, BUT couldn't have possibly been more over the top. You think the action scenes in Die Hard 4 were absurd? You've seen nothing yet. Ethan died by my count about 6 times during the movie but walked away like it was nothing (I know I know, what else should I have expected)

Still, as I said I enjoyed the movie. B+

Artman 12-16-11 12:38 AM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 11041324)
FWIW, I don't have the hate for II everyone else does.

Neither do I. I guess I understand the anger from serious M:I fans, it essentially took that brand and draped it over a generic action movie. But, since I don't have any connection to it, I enjoyed the action. I even liked the soundtrack. And c'mon, Tom..I mean Thandie was smokin hot!

Pizza the Hutt 12-16-11 01:02 AM

Saw it on IMAX tonight. It was good but not the best of the series. The villains were faceless and generic, the motivations were sketchy at times, and so much of the action was way over-the-top. Still fun though, that scene with Cruise dangling off the high-rise was intense. Very Goldeneye-ish overall. Oh, and The Dark Knight Rises looks incredible.

Artman 12-16-11 01:17 AM

How do the "non-Imax" Imax screens look? I haven't been in one... Are they taller than the normal screen (similar to to the true Imax ones) or is there little difference from a normal screen? Just trying to decide if we should pay for that with M:I 4, on Christmas day.

Ravenous 12-16-11 01:23 AM

Im posting this for one reason. I was out tonight and didnt go, but my buddy called and left me a voicemail. He bought 4 tickets, 2 for the each of us, I couldnt make it so he returned 2. He has NO Interest in seeing this movie so he walked in, saw the Dark Knight Rises trailer, stoop up and applauded, than told the crowd "IM done, enjoy the movie" and walked out.... :lol: this dudes a trip

Wazootyman 12-16-11 01:31 AM

Just saw this in IMAX. Probably about the most fun I've had at an action movie in a while. Really liked some of the setpieces, like pretty much everything in the hotel. Wasn't just the Tom Cruise show, really really liked Simon Pegg in it, a whole lot of humor from him.

I say this as someone who saw MI1 in the theaters and hardly remember anything about it, saw MI2 on TV a year ago and hated it and thought MI3 was decent.

And no, I didn't get to see the Dark Knight prologue, because of some weird demands from Paramount for the free screening I was at.

sye46 12-16-11 02:16 AM

saw it in IMAX tonight... it was probably one of the better films i've seen in IMAX. It's my 2nd favorite MI movie after the 1st one.

This movie was a blast! A-

Supermallet 12-16-11 02:22 AM

Originally Posted by Artman (Post 11044464)
How do the "non-Imax" Imax screens look? I haven't been in one... Are they taller than the normal screen (similar to to the true Imax ones) or is there little difference from a normal screen? Just trying to decide if we should pay for that with M:I 4, on Christmas day.

If you're talking about digital IMAX, the screens are converted 35mm houses. The screens should go floor to ceiling but they maintain a 1.77:1 aspect ratio. So it may be slightly larger than a regular 35mm screen but it's not worth paying extra for.

Throwing Copper 12-16-11 02:51 AM

Originally Posted by sye46 (Post 11044475)
saw it in IMAX tonight... it was probably one of the better films i've seen in IMAX. It's my 2nd favorite MI movie after the 1st one.

This movie was a blast! A-

Great. Thanks for the feedback.

Always nice to see a response from a cool new member................that joined the website 8 years ago. ;)

Rypro 525 12-16-11 03:01 AM

saw it in 'fake imax'. Maybe because i haven't seen anything that was actually shot in imax at one before, but the imax sequences were incredible. Especially the building climb. Personally i thought it was worth the extra money to see it in that format if you can afford it and don't have a 'real imax' theater near you.

As far as the movie itself, i liked 3 better for reasons already mentioned (better villian, better overal story) but this one had the better action scenes as over the top as they were. I'd give it a B overal

Lara Means 12-16-11 04:40 AM

Found the movie extremely entertaining. The bad guys were shit though. The action set pieces were way over the top but lots of fun. I still believe Part 3 is the best but this one is a close second.

conscience 12-16-11 06:01 AM

Originally Posted by Osiris3657 (Post 11044431)
...BUT couldn't have possibly been more over the top. You think the action scenes in Die Hard 4 were absurd? You've seen nothing yet. Ethan died by my count about 6 times during the movie but walked away like it was nothing (I know I know, what else should I have expected)

Thanks for that. It's what I wanted to hear. Can't wait for this movie!

Throwing Copper 12-16-11 06:09 AM

So MI4 only opens on IMAX screens today? (Dec. 16)

It doesn't open in regular theaters until next Wednesday?

FantasticVSDoom 12-16-11 07:23 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 11041333)
I've only seen 2 and 3 once, and in theaters, but I didn't enjoy them that much (especially after 3 was hyped up so much). I really liked 1, and am very much looking forward to 4 though.

Pretty much word for word what I would say...

mdc3000 12-16-11 07:46 AM

If you are within an hour driving distance of a true IMAX screen - get in the car and go see this movie. The IMAX sequences were completely stunning - you feel like you are standing on the edge of the Burj Khalifa with Ethan Hunt... Of course you know when a big action scene is going to kick up because the frame becomes massive, but I was blown away.

I really like that they've stuck with the team aspect that they started to really set up in Mi3. I don't love Paula Patton, but Pegg and Renner are great when they're out kicking ass with Cruise. Lots of good tension breaking humour and the action sequences, while definitely over the top, were joyfully so... and even though Ethan Hunt is a Superman, in the fact that he seemingly can't be killed - he sure as shit can get beaten up... Cruise takes a lot of abuse in this one and Bird films it so you really feel the impact of those moments.

Great work from Bird overall, with the action sequences never being confusing, even when seen at such large proportions. I did think the plot was extremely simple but presented in an overly complicated way, the villains were bland and the schmaltzy ending was something I'd have preferred more ambiguity over, but I had a great time and had my heart racing for most of the duration. I still would rank Mi3 just a shade over this one overall, but for action, this one is a total win. 4.5

RichC2 12-16-11 08:09 AM

I think this is one of the only franchises that mostly got better reviews as it went -

Rotten Tomatoes Scores:
MI1 - 61%
MI2 - 57%
MI3 - 70%
MI4 - 93%

TomOpus 12-16-11 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Rypro 525 (Post 11044488)
saw it in 'fake imax'. Maybe because i haven't seen anything that was actually shot in imax at one before, but the imax sequences were incredible. Especially the building climb. Personally i thought it was worth the extra money to see it in that format if you can afford it and don't have a 'real imax' theater near you.

I agree. Damn IMAX snobs :)

Those that are close to a real IMAX always say don't see it in fake IMAX. Well, many of us are no where near a real IMAX. I'm with you in saying to see it in IMAX, even if it's not a real one. I will also see a movie in ETX over a regular screen if it's not available in fake IMAX.

Giles 12-16-11 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Throwing Copper (Post 11044517)
So MI4 only opens on IMAX screens today? (Dec. 16)

It doesn't open in regular theaters until next Wednesday?

I think so, although the Uptown theater here in DC is showing three screenings next Tuesday

question, are the non-IMAX specialty screens that started showing it today do the dual aspect ratio thing-a-ma-jig??

stroszeck 12-16-11 01:20 PM

So I saw this at the screening in NYC and I have to say I really don't understand the overwhelmingly positive buzz/love this movie is getting. First off I have to admit I am very much a huge fan of De Palma's original sleekly designed (if somewhat baffling) first entry into the franchise. Having said that I felt a lot of this film fell flat, from the really cheesy dialogue to the uninteresting "romantic" stuff between Cruise and Patton. Also was it just me or is this evil henchman the most uninteresting bad guy to hit the screens in a long time? Also it has one of the most boring, uninteresting opening scenes of any action movie I've seen for a while (the stuff with the blond female assassin). Of course some of the action was pretty awesome, but I wouldn't go so far as to say its one of the best action films in years which is really what people seem to be touting it all over the internet. Could it be that the last couple installments were ho-hum and lowered expectations?

Shannon Nutt 12-16-11 02:51 PM

Originally Posted by stroszeck (Post 11044931)
it has one of the most boring, uninteresting opening scenes of any action movie I've seen for a while

I think you accidently went to a sneak preview of THE DARK KNIGHT RISES.