Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Pet Peeves

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-09, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Re: Movie Pet Peeves

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
The flip side is, a real-life pet peeve of mine is when I say I have an idea and then, instead of letting me do what I'm thinking about doing, I'm expected to spell it all out first. Mostly, this applies to my wife, who is incapable of just going along with anything.
Welcome to the club.
Old 06-12-09, 09:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

Originally Posted by calhoun07
On a Best Buy wage, though?
Knowing Andy, and how he didn't like change, he had probably worked there for years and had received a lot of raises.
Old 06-12-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by stingermck
Knowing Andy, and how he didn't like change, he had probably worked there for years and had received a lot of raises.
So instead of 6.25 per hour he might have made 10.25 per hour. Still not enough to pay for all that.
Old 06-12-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My pet peeve is the time stamp under the location heading. Unless time is vital for the story, I see no point in informing the audience that it's 12:37pm.
Old 06-13-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by calhoun07
Still not enough to pay for all that.
I don't see what he had as being that expensive.
Old 06-13-09, 10:34 AM

My biggest pet peeve is actors who whisper their lines.

I think it all started with Clint Eastwood. But it suited him.

Then came 24's Sutherland. OK.

Then came Wentworth Miller on Prison Break....

Now.... everyone's doing it, including TV announcers.

It just sounds like an affected aspect of their speech. Very annoying.

Last edited by UngersPride; 06-13-09 at 10:40 AM.
Old 06-13-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by UngersPride
My biggest pet peeve is actors who whisper their lines.

I think it all started with Clint Eastwood. But it suited him.

Then came 24's Sutherland. OK.

Then came Wentworth Miller on Prison Break....

Now.... everyone's doing it, including TV announcers.

It just sounds like an affected aspect of their speech. Very annoying.

Maybe they're just following advice from a guy who had a fairly successful career in the movies:

"Talk low, talk slow, and don't say too much." --John Wayne
Old 06-13-09, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,476 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by gmanca
Nighttime driving in films with the fake streetlights gleaming throughout the car every two seconds.
Those aren't streetlights. That's the reflection of the striped white line lighting up the cabin. When you drive in really dark places, it looks something like that.
Old 06-13-09, 11:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.
Received 18 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Anything and everything firearms related, except in Kevin Costner directed films for the most part. I forgave him that one liberty he took in 'Open Range', he sweated doing it, and it sucked a little, but that scene did deliver. It worked for the effect he was going for.
agreed
although Heat was pretty decent, much better than most movies. Paccino actually used the sights on his rifle
Old 06-13-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Location: Bartertown due to it having a better economy than where I really live.

space helmets with lights inside the helmet shining on the person's face
yeah, kill any chance they have at seeing outside. all they'd get would be glare off the inside of the face shield
Old 06-14-09, 01:24 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

I don't understand why in every movie the main "guy" has to have a love interest. Some movies are just about a guy kicking ass or dealing with a problem. It feels like someone just said, "the movie is done but now we need to throw in a chick for him to snuggle with to get ladies in the seats." I fucking hate it. Moments where very manipulative music plays to get you to feel something for these two characters as they kiss in front of a sunset. Terminator Salvation had this bullshit in it between Marcus and that "bad ass" chick. It just bugs the shit out of me. It feels so unnatural most of the time.
Old 06-14-09, 05:03 AM
Cool New Member

Originally Posted by tanman
Every single gun sounds exactly the same.
Which is really stupid because they often have the real gun right there. The worst example I can think of is when Neo shoots the minigun from the helicopter in The Matrix. They use the stock "machine gun" sound when clearly the gun is shooting far faster than that - in fact, the super slow motion part of the scene has a faster bullet impact sound than the normal speed cliche machine gun sound.
Old 06-14-09, 05:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

when character A is about to shoot character B and we hear a gunshot and assume character B was shot but then it is revealed that character C shot character A.
Old 06-14-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

What about people who receive deadly injuries that wouldn't actually kill them right away, but they fall over dead instantly anyway?

Example: stabbed or shot in the stomach, eyes go wide, lifelessly collapse.

Even though it's in one of my favorite movies, a really good and annoying example that comes to mind is from Elizabeth: the Geoffrey Rush character cuts a guy's throat, and the guy stares straight ahead for a second or two before crashing to the floor. There's not even much blood!

Oh, and it's even more annoying when they fall to their knees first for dramatic emphasis, and then collapse all the way down.
Old 06-14-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Beach scenes in romance movies
Old 06-14-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,229 Likes on 2,084 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
What about people who receive deadly injuries that wouldn't actually kill them right away, but they fall over dead instantly anyway?

Example: stabbed or shot in the stomach, eyes go wide, lifelessly collapse.

Even though it's in one of my favorite movies, a really good and annoying example that comes to mind is from Elizabeth: the Geoffrey Rush character cuts a guy's throat, and the guy stares straight ahead for a second or two before crashing to the floor. There's not even much blood!

Oh, and it's even more annoying when they fall to their knees first for dramatic emphasis, and then collapse all the way down.
It's interesting, you know occasionally movies will do that kind of death right (or at least as I would image it would be) and it can make for quite a disturbing scene. Seeing someone flailing around on the ground with their neck slashed is pretty intense, I'd guess movies do the "quick death" to avoid traumatizing the audience. IMO, the best example of doing it right is Tim Roth in Reservoir Dogs. Man, he looked like he was in a lot of pain!
Old 06-14-09, 11:39 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

I've watched about 3 movies this weekend where the line "if you harm a single hair on his/her head...." was used and while I've never been bothered much by it before, after reading this thread it has become really annoying.

Thanks for that.
Old 06-14-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,476 Likes on 939 Posts

Originally Posted by GoldenJCJ
It's interesting, you know occasionally movies will do that kind of death right (or at least as I would image it would be) and it can make for quite a disturbing scene. Seeing someone flailing around on the ground with their neck slashed is pretty intense, I'd guess movies do the "quick death" to avoid traumatizing the audience. IMO, the best example of doing it right is Tim Roth in Reservoir Dogs. Man, he looked like he was in a lot of pain!
As opposed to 4:10 to Yuma, where Peter Fonda is gutshot, but has no problem riding around on a posse. That bugged me. It's okay if the Lone Ranger gets a "just a flesh wound", but you can't do that in a 'gritty' western.

I don't mind a lot of the stupid things in movies that make the drama work better. So they used the sound of an artillery piece as the sound effect for the shotgun in Terminator 2. It was exciting. Actors want their faces lit when they're wearing space helmets. Real space helmets aren't very expressive. Exposition disguised as dialogue (when it's done with a light touch). Your alternatives are either casting Basil Exposition or a voice-over narrator. Someone instantly picking up the phone when a wait would serve no dramatic purpose. The same as looking for a parking spot. I don't want to watch someone driving around the block a couple of times so they can park the car and walk back to the defense lawyer's office.

Things that bug me are twitchy, over-animated characters, showing the same explosion over and over because the director used six backup cameras, the attacker who jumps in from a foot out of frame, and the hero jumping ahead of an explosion that's propagating at 600 feet per second.

Old 06-14-09, 01:58 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Old 06-14-09, 02:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mikehunt
agreed
although Heat was pretty decent, much better than most movies. Paccino actually used the sights on his rifle
'Heat' had the best foley work on the firearms of any movie ever.

Those were real AR's being fired into real cars.

Excellent sound there in that final shootout, blew me away the first time I heard that.
Old 06-14-09, 06:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Put me down for all the gun mistakes:

The guns that never run out of bullets. The 12 shot revolvers, the assault rifles that have a 30 or 50 round clip which can basically be emptied in 3 seconds and they fire forever.

The guns that change mid-scene; revolver to .45 auto in Raiders, Glock to Sig back to Glock again 2 or 3 times in Bourne 3. They obviously used 2 different guns for the 2 angles and though nobody would notice. There is a closeup of the gun, one has an external hammer the other doesn't.

Silencers on revolvers

And of course the oft mentioned bad shots from the bad guys who always miss, while our running tumbling hero can knock out 3 bad guys with one shot from his trusty pistola
Old 06-14-09, 06:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

also, the gunfire in heat sounds much better than most movies. much fuller and "real" sounding.
Old 06-14-09, 06:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Silencers on revolvers
I saw some spy show on discovery or history channel years ago and they had a revolver with a silencer
me and my dad both kind of looked at each other and shook our heads
although there is some gas expelled from the barrel so I guess it might quiet it a little bit, but I don't think it would be enough to make a difference

I thought of another gun one
guns that click every time someone touches them or moves them. I guess it's supposed to be the sound of a hammer being cocked or something but they do it on hammer less guns and guns with internal hammers
and guns like a glock going "click click click" as the shooter tries to keep firing after running out of ammo. assuming the slide stop didn't activate at most it would click once. after that a glock trigger stays in the uncocked position until the slide is cycled
Old 06-14-09, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I don't know if this has been mentioned already or not (though I'd be surprised if it hadn't), but hearing key strokes that don't match the letters being typed on a monitor really bothers me.
Old 06-14-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by lopper
I don't know if this has been mentioned already or not (though I'd be surprised if it hadn't), but hearing key strokes that don't match the letters being typed on a monitor really bothers me.
Like in Jurassic Park when Samuel L Jackson is typing and none of the words on the screen match what he is saying or how many letters he's typing?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.