Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Movie Pet Peeves

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 01:36 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Movie Pet Peeves

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Cheap ass knives.

Cheap knives.

The knives.
Ah, brings me back to the first Dark Knight thread. I miss those days.
Old 06-11-09, 03:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 992 Likes on 693 Posts

A lot of good ones.

I especially liked the forcefully racially diverse group. The always typing when using a keyboard and never using a mouse and convenient passwords/keys to a parked car.

One for me is during a disaster a large piece of something invariably falls on someone but you usually still hear them scream after the giant piece of rock has fallen on them.

Another one is odd sound effects. Especially the squeaky toy sound effect. Every toy makes that sound effect. I recently watched T3 and in the middle of the major chase they drive through a lawn and some lawn toy is run over and makes a really load squeaky toy sound effect.

The wilhelm scream is very contrived but it is a classic so I guess it gets a free pass.

One of my MAJOR annoyances is the "gun cock because I mean business." Seriously, I'm not a gun owner but I know that you don't have to cock an automatic. They never show them taking the safety off and they always make a very generic chuhCHICK noise. Every single gun sounds exactly the same. That is very annoying and video games portray gun use much more realistically.

Anything medical. Are there no doctors, pharmacists or nurses in Hollywood? Almost everything is wrong. CPR ALWAYS works, and with just a couple of chest compressions too. They always use paddles when a person is flatlining. They have NEVER shown someone in fibrillation which is what you would actually use paddles for. I think medical miracles are my most hated because they really do give people the misinformation that everyone can be cured in a hospital no matter what they have. In fact this perception is very detrimental and really adversely affects the healthcare system and peoples expectations of it.

Last edited by tanman; 06-11-09 at 03:17 AM.
Old 06-11-09, 03:19 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I dunno about the sounds in Heat are pretty damn good. Just depends on the film.
Old 06-11-09, 04:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Outdoor shots" or "Nature shots" that use that stock falcon/eagle call.

You know the one I'm talking about.
Old 06-11-09, 08:31 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

fight scenes where someone slugs someone in the head repeatedly, and the guy isn't dazed or have a concusion after the fact, hit someone that hard and that many times, he's down.
Old 06-11-09, 08:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Apple Gooncha
I've got to say really long opening credit sequences where nothing happens other then maybe some flashy effects or something. Look, I'm typically a guy that will watch the end credits, so I don't need to see everyone's name twice while some crappy song plays. I'm a huge Bond fan, but the opening 3-4 minutes of almost every one is throwaway garbage, imo.
I disagree - for some Bond movies, the opening credits sequence is the most creative (and sometimes even the most entertaining) part of the whole film.
Old 06-11-09, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Giles
fight scenes where someone slugs someone in the head repeatedly, and the guy isn't dazed or have a concusion after the fact, hit someone that hard and that many times, he's down.
That's one of mine too. Good guys and bad guys alike get punched in the face repeatedly and there is no swelling or bruising afterwards. Not even a mark.

I've been punched in the face and it's not pretty at the time, nor is it pretty for weeks afterward.
Old 06-11-09, 09:35 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck
Thats mine. Actors overact with the controller prop, and play like they are conducting a symphony. Just sit there and easily tap buttons like the rest of us. The 40 YO Virgin comes to mind.

I have to say something about this: are you telling me you guys never used to subconsciously move your controller in the direction of what you wanted the action on screen to do? I used to catch myself doing this all the time back in my NES days, like during a particularly tense section. When the Wii was announced, I just assumed the design evolution was from other people doing the same thing and thinking "hey, what if jerking the controller around actually did something?"
Old 06-11-09, 09:43 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

My four-year-old is hilarious with the controller. He totally moves it around, and when he gets excited he'll stand up and get right next to the TV.

Me, on the other hand, I get comfortable on the couch and only move my fingers as much as I have to. If I get hungry, I have my wife dump some Cheetos in my mouth.
Old 06-11-09, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 432 Likes on 293 Posts

Yeah sometimes I will move during a driving game, but I dont hold the controller wrong, do jumping jacks with it, or punch buttons that dont work with the game.

For example when Dave spins around in his chair in The Punisher and the game is still playing, or the MK fight in 40 YO Virgin.

Or the lack of cart in the Game Gear in Rumble in the Bronx
Old 06-11-09, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

No one in established relationships ever says, "I love you" at the end of a phone call unless it's to add to the drama. They just...hang up. My wife would light me up if I just hung up on her, and so would most of the ones I know.

Also, I despise the idea that every romantic story must lead up to marriage. Either it's a proposal that signifies his growth throughout the movie that ends the story, or it's a scene cut to after the growth stuff is resolved, or some variation thereof. [rant]Why are we so conditioned to view exchanging vows as an objective in and of itself? This, I believe, has greatly contributed to our "checklist" mentality as a society toward relationships--and why so many young people marry, believing they should "take the next step" at that point in their lives.[/rant]
Old 06-11-09, 10:18 AM

Originally Posted by Groucho
My four-year-old is hilarious with the controller. He totally moves it around, and when he gets excited he'll stand up and get right next to the TV.

Me, on the other hand, I get comfortable on the couch and only move my fingers as much as I have to. If I get hungry, I have my wife dump some Cheetos in my mouth.

now that's "love"

Old 06-11-09, 10:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,430 Likes on 1,044 Posts

Originally Posted by stingermck

Or the lack of cart in the Game Gear in Rumble in the Bronx
Holy crap, I nearly had a heart attack when I saw that years ago
Old 06-11-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
Also, I despise the idea that every romantic story must lead up to marriage. Either it's a proposal that signifies his growth throughout the movie that ends the story, or it's a scene cut to after the growth stuff is resolved, or some variation thereof. [rant]Why are we so conditioned to view exchanging vows as an objective in and of itself? This, I believe, has greatly contributed to our "checklist" mentality as a society toward relationships--and why so many young people marry, believing they should "take the next step" at that point in their lives.[/rant]
I don't know about this one. Like it or not, most people view marriage as the "end" of the dating-relationship world. So if a movie is about finding your soulmate or whatever, then logically it makes sense to wrap things up with a wedding. These two people have found each other, they are committed, they have a strong chance of being OK. If they end the movie and are still just "dating" who's to say they won't break up next week? At least with marriage you have some closure.
Old 06-11-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Draven
I don't know about this one. Like it or not, most people view marriage as the "end" of the dating-relationship world. So if a movie is about finding your soulmate or whatever, then logically it makes sense to wrap things up with a wedding. These two people have found each other, they are committed, they have a strong chance of being OK. If they end the movie and are still just "dating" who's to say they won't break up next week? At least with marriage you have some closure.
But this is my point--people in real life do think of a wedding as some kind of event that locks in their happy relationship forever, etc., when in fact, it does not. Look at the way you yourself have phrased it: "finding your soulmate...logically it makes sense to wrap things up with a wedding." This is the very definition of the "Checklist Approach to Life!" What irks me about this trend is that it frequently happens after the guy has had his epiphany about how, out of all the girls he's slept with, this one is special. That might be sufficient reason for him to feel so excited he proposes, but just once I want the girl to say, "Let's see how special you think I am next week. And the week after that." Instead, it's always presented that the wedding is his reward for realizing that she's special.
Old 06-11-09, 11:55 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Phone numbers that begin with "555" annoy me because they remind me that I'm watching a movie.
Old 06-11-09, 12:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,314 Likes on 2,124 Posts

Originally Posted by tanman
One of my MAJOR annoyances is the "gun cock because I mean business." Seriously, I'm not a gun owner but I know that you don't have to cock an automatic. They never show them taking the safety off and they always make a very generic chuhCHICK noise. Every single gun sounds exactly the same. That is very annoying and video games portray gun use much more realistically.
One that gets me is when the good guy waits to cock the gun to make a dramatic effect. The scene usually plays out like:

Good guy: "Freeze!" *points gun at bad guy*
Bad Goy: *freezes* "You aren't going to shoot me..." *Starts moving towards good guy*
Good Guy: "I said freeze!" *cocks gun*

Now I'm no expert, but I would think that one would want a weapon ready to fire from the very beginning!

Originally Posted by Tanman
Anything medical. Are there no doctors, pharmacists or nurses in Hollywood? Almost everything is wrong. CPR ALWAYS works, and with just a couple of chest compressions too. They always use paddles when a person is flatlining. They have NEVER shown someone in fibrillation which is what you would actually use paddles for. I think medical miracles are my most hated because they really do give people the misinformation that everyone can be cured in a hospital no matter what they have. In fact this perception is very detrimental and really adversely affects the healthcare system and peoples expectations of it.
I remember when I was a little kid how surprised I was when I found out just how rarely CPR and the paddles work in real life. It's very rare to see a movie where CPR or paddles DIDN'T bring someone back.

Last edited by GoldenJCJ; 06-11-09 at 12:10 PM.
Old 06-11-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

High school teen characters always having eye level lockers.
Old 06-11-09, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by Ralph Jenkins
Phone numbers that begin with "555" annoy me because they remind me that I'm watching a movie.
I think there was scene with a phone number in 'Drag Me To Hell' that didn't have 555.
Old 06-11-09, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by milo bloom
I have to say something about this: are you telling me you guys never used to subconsciously move your controller in the direction of what you wanted the action on screen to do? I used to catch myself doing this all the time back in my NES days, like during a particularly tense section. When the Wii was announced, I just assumed the design evolution was from other people doing the same thing and thinking "hey, what if jerking the controller around actually did something?"
I usually see those people jerking the controller and thinking about either:

Overacting

Someone who is new to playing video games.

I used to move the controller to my on screen character when I first started playing games, but stopped after I built up my hand/eye coordination. So when I see someone do this in a movie and then make some claim about being a "avid gamer" I know they are full of shit.
Old 06-11-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by UAIOE
I usually see those people jerking the controller and thinking about either:

Overacting

Someone who is new to playing video games.
What did you gamers think of Grandma's Boy? It seemed like those guys knew what they were doing to me. I especially liked Doris Roberts. She was awkward, but she didn't overdo it.
Old 06-11-09, 12:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Babies born with perfectly shaped heads.
Old 06-11-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I'm sure it's been mentioned already, but I hate seeing people drink from a cup when it's obvious there's nothing inside of it.
Old 06-11-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,737 Likes on 1,078 Posts

Originally Posted by MinLShaw
But this is my point--people in real life do think of a wedding as some kind of event that locks in their happy relationship forever, etc., when in fact, it does not. Look at the way you yourself have phrased it: "finding your soulmate...logically it makes sense to wrap things up with a wedding." This is the very definition of the "Checklist Approach to Life!" What irks me about this trend is that it frequently happens after the guy has had his epiphany about how, out of all the girls he's slept with, this one is special. That might be sufficient reason for him to feel so excited he proposes, but just once I want the girl to say, "Let's see how special you think I am next week. And the week after that." Instead, it's always presented that the wedding is his reward for realizing that she's special.
If the movie is about two single people ending up together, the movie has to stop somewhere. Marriage is a logical place (from a narrative perspective) to wrap up that particular story.

It's like if a movie was about a pregnant couple. Logically, that movie could wrap up after the baby is born (see movies like Knocked Up and Father of the Bride II). As a parent myself, I know that the birth is actually the beginning of the story, not the end...and the first week home could be an entirely new movie. But it makes sense to wrap it up at that point.
Old 06-11-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MoviePage
Also, they usually have perfectly-shaped hair even if they've supposedly been in bed all night, and their faces are totally clean and clear.
The other part of this is that the women usually have a full makeup job applied, including lipstick. Sorry, women remove their makeup before bed, and if they don't it's smeared all over the pillow.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.