Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Movies or Actors that Make you Feel Old

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Old 06-05-09, 09:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

It really is true that as you grow older, time seems to move at a faster pace. Years don't feel like years. Decades don't feel like long decades. And each decade is a huge slice of that small pie of the average life span.

So what movies or actors make you feel old or amazed at the passage of time? Here are a few examples:

1999 movies -Green mile, Fight Club, Matrix are all a decade old! No freaking way. It seems like just yesterday that I went to see these awesome films. Funny American Beauty feels a lot older.

Clint Eastwood - I just find it hard to believe that Clint is well into nursing home age.

Sylvestor Stallone - Can't believe Stallone is now in his 60s and still kicking butt!

Batman (1989) - 20 years old. Unbelievable. I still remember the huge hype and marketing especially all those freaking batman t-shirts.

Dang, I'm getting old. lol
Old 06-05-09, 10:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 406 Likes on 294 Posts
Re: Movies or Actors that Make you Feel Old

When I bought Twister on bluray, the Clerk told me he loved this movie when he was a little kid. Yeah when it came out in 1996 I was just about to enter high school. I guess that makes me feel a little bit older.
Old 06-05-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 275 Likes on 210 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
It really is true that as you grow older, time seems to move at a faster pace. Years don't feel like years. Decades don't feel like long decades. And each decade is a huge slice of that small pie of the average life span.

So what movies or actors make you feel old or amazed at the passage of time? Here are a few examples:

1999 movies -Green mile, Fight Club, Matrix are all a decade old! No freaking way. It seems like just yesterday that I went to see these awesome films. Funny American Beauty feels a lot older.

Clint Eastwood - I just find it hard to believe that Clint is well into nursing home age.

Dang, I'm getting old. lol

I remember when Clint Eastwood was just another TV cowboy ("Rawhide"). When I started out as a serious movie fan as a kid, Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy and Alan Ladd were still starring in movies. I saw current movies with Grant and Tracy when I was a kid. James Cagney narrated a western I saw in the '60s. Charlie Chaplin still had one movie left in him. Buster Keaton was popping up in Beach Party movies.

Warren Beatty, Jane Fonda, Robert Redford, Jack Nicholson, and Dustin Hoffman all turn 72 this year. I remember when each one of them was just starting out. I saw Fonda in person just a few weeks ago and she looks better than a lot of once-hot female stars 30 years younger than her. All of these five are still active, in varying degrees, and still look pretty good. Contrast them to the actors who were over 70 or turned 70 when I was a kid...Edward G. Robinson, Basil Rathbone, Boris Karloff, Claude Rains, Paul Muni, who all looked old long before then (and all of whom, except Muni, I saw in current movies when I was a kid).

Last edited by Ash Ketchum; 06-05-09 at 10:58 AM.
Old 06-05-09, 11:17 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Ash Ketchum
I remember when Clint Eastwood was just another TV cowboy ("Rawhide"). When I started out as a serious movie fan as a kid, Cary Grant, Spencer Tracy and Alan Ladd were still starring in movies. I saw current movies with Grant and Tracy when I was a kid. James Cagney narrated a western I saw in the '60s. Charlie Chaplin still had one movie left in him. Buster Keaton was popping up in Beach Party movies.

Warren Beatty, Jane Fonda, Robert Redford, Jack Nicholson, and Dustin Hoffman all turn 72 this year. I remember when each one of them was just starting out. I saw Fonda in person just a few weeks ago and she looks better than a lot of once-hot female stars 30 years younger than her. All of these five are still active, in varying degrees, and still look pretty good. Contrast them to the actors who were over 70 or turned 70 when I was a kid...Edward G. Robinson, Basil Rathbone, Boris Karloff, Claude Rains, Paul Muni, who all looked old long before then (and all of whom, except Muni, I saw in current movies when I was a kid).

I think it's a conspiracy. They discovered a secret to slow down the aging process. Probably explains why you rarely hear about Hollywood stars having any kind of medical issue! It explains why studios and tv shows don't seem to sweat signing actors to long contract deals.
Old 06-05-09, 11:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 244 Likes on 174 Posts

Growing up in the sixties I used to think how old the 1930's monster movies on the late show were. Now, Dawn of the Dead, Exorcist are older than those old monster movies were then.

The 1980's are ripe for remakes, not matter how much people may crap on them an appropriate amount of time has passed.

It seems more and more people talk about seeing the Star Wars movies as kids. I was 20 when the first one came out. You younguns just wait till the forums are full of people posting about seeing The Dark Knight as a little kid. I take comfort in that when I was a kid Walt Disney was a living person we all loved instead of a brand name and we stood in lines around the block to see Sean Connery as James Bond.
Old 06-05-09, 12:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Teen comedies from the late 90's early 00's make me feel old, because the actors in that are now in their 30's (teens are generally played by twentysomethings). Since I was generally the same age as the characters they played, I feel like I'm now in my thirties (I'm 29).
Old 06-05-09, 06:56 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

Seeing grumpy old Harrison Ford in recent movies makes me pretty darn sad. I thought he managed to recapture a little of his former self in Indy 4 but he still wasn't like he used to be.
Old 06-05-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Fight Club makes me feel old because it came out the year I graduated high school; it acts as a constant reminder of how much time has passed.
Old 06-05-09, 07:52 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 598 Likes on 462 Posts

The fact that Short Circuit is already considered old enough for a remake makes me feel old.
Old 06-05-09, 07:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The fact that I know somebody who was born after Princess Bride was released to the theaters and I saw it in the theaters doesn't help me at all.

The first movie to remind me of my advancing years: Star Wars and it's damnable 20th anniversary.

The most recent...being reminded not too long ago that we are coming up soon on the 15th anniversary of Dumb and Dumber.

The first actor to make me feel old...Woody Allen, because he seemed old when I was a kid and now he's really old. I remember some years ago contemplating this fact and realizing the point from 30 to 60 is a really, really short journey.

Last edited by calhoun07; 06-05-09 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-05-09, 08:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That as of July 4th this year, I can legally have sex with a girl who was born after Terminator 2 was released.
Old 06-05-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23
That as of July 4th this year, I can legally have sex with a girl who was born after Terminator 2 was released.
Wait...lots of girls were born after Terminator 2....

Can you have a seat over there?

Last edited by calhoun07; 06-05-09 at 08:22 PM.
Old 06-05-09, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

Ironically, this is scientifically proven to make you feel younger.

I suppose the Olsen twins make me feel old when I think about them, but that's not often. I think the two that stand out for me are a pair that came out a week apart: Goldeneye (15 November 1995) and Toy Story (22 November 1995). I was in my sophomore year of high school and we had a new James Bond for the first time in six years and the first fully CGI animated feature. It seems barely any time has passed and we have already moved on to the Daniel Craig era, and this year's most interesting concept in animated film is The Princess and the Frog--because it's a 2-D feature!

Plus, my cousin and nephew were both born in '95 (her in May, him in September) and so I think about the fact they were each still in diapers when both of those movies came out and I can see the years that have passed represented in them.
Old 06-05-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

There are teenagers that were born after Jurassic Park came out. Gah I got to stop thinking about this.
Old 06-05-09, 09:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 209 Posts

When the remake of "The Omen" opened in theaters in the summer of 2006, the DVD of the original was re-released. I went to Best Buy to pick it up. The two year old cashier said to me "Oh my God! I'm going to see this tonight!". I said "No, this is the original. And from what I've read, you shouldn't waste your money on that and either rent to buy this" And she replied "When did this come out?", as she put my purchase in a bag. I said "I think around 1976". And she said "Wow, that's old! Is it in color??". Sigh.

Last edited by Daytripper; 06-06-09 at 01:18 PM.
Old 06-05-09, 09:34 PM

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

the date of the prologue for 'Drag Me to Hell' made me felt old - that's a first, but then when I stopped to get some liquor on my way home, they carded me, my ego felt better than.
Old 06-05-09, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

'99 movies for me as well, that year had so many influential flicks it's hard to believe they're a decade old already. Dark City as well.
Old 06-05-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I saw C Thomas Howell in a Sci Fi Channel movie the other night. He had gray hair. He went from a teen to an old man in like 20 years.
Old 06-05-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,011 Likes on 803 Posts

I saw C Thomas Howell in a Sci Fi Channel movie the other night. He had gray hair. He went from a teen to an old man in like 20 years.
Mind Bottling!
Old 06-05-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Nevermind that. Have you seen C. Thomas in the NBC series "Southland"? The guy is only 43 and he looks like he's in his mid or late 50's. Has not aged well at ALL!
Old 06-05-09, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Teens today are too young to remember Jurassic Park, or the Lion King. Every sci fi movie that has come out in their lifetimes have been CGI-heavy. There are college kids that have never lived a day when the Simpsons weren't on television.

Last edited by Rockmjd23; 06-05-09 at 10:19 PM.
Old 06-05-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well this one does and still love it (The Score by John Barry is PERFECT)

Old 06-05-09, 10:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Teens today are too young to remember Jurassic Park, or the Lion King. Every sci fi movie that has come out in their lifetimes have been CGI-heavy. There are college kids that have never lived a day when the Simpsons weren't on television.

I loved the movie at the time. Now? Not so much. But yes...that John Barry score is terrific.
Old 06-05-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,160 Likes on 2,036 Posts

There are college kids that have never lived a day when the Simpsons weren't on television.
How 'bout this, if The Simpsons were real life, Bart would be in his 30's!
Old 06-05-09, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was talking to a guy I work with about "Transformers the Movie", and I said how shocked I was on all the deaths in the film since i was only 10 and I was such a big fan of the characters that died, and then he mentioned he had just turned 1 when the film was released.
I can also remember a friend and I seeing "The Addams Family" on opening night when we were in the 10th grade like it was yesterday, and I caught it on the HD movie channel the other day and seeing that it came out in 91, that's close to 20 years ago.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.