Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-11, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts
re: Prometheus (2012, D: Scott, Fassbender, Rapace, Theron, Wilson, Elba)

Hannibal is an underrated dark comedy. I really enjoyed it. Sure it's nothing like SotL but how could it be? I also agree it's leagues better than Red Dragon (or Manhunter for that matter).
Old 01-17-11, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

The only reason Hannibal works is because Ridley Scott chose to remove the humanizing backstory for Hannibal that was present in the novel. He just wanted Hannibal to be a monster (as he should be) and, in Scott's own words, "a force of nature".
Old 01-17-11, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
Hannibal is an underrated dark comedy. I really enjoyed it. Sure it's nothing like SotL but how could it be? I also agree it's leagues better than Red Dragon (or Manhunter for that matter).
I have not yet seen Red Dragon but IMO there is no way Hannibal is a better film than Manhunter.
Old 01-17-11, 08:25 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by inri222
I have not yet seen Red Dragon but IMO there is no way Hannibal is a better film than Manhunter.
Red Dragon was a pointless remake of Manhunter; I personally though Manhunter was a very entertaining and creepy film. The Silence of the Lambs is no doubt Dimme's and Harris' magnum opus. Hannibal is underrated, with a beautiful setting and an unpredictable story; but people had every right to be disappointed since it certainly didn't live up to RD of Silence. Hannibal Rising = travesty.
Old 01-17-11, 10:09 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'm one of the few people who thinks that Manhunter was disappointing. I love Brian Cox, but I don't think he works as Lecter, and other than the awesome shootout at the end, I can't think of one memorable moment.
Old 01-17-11, 10:53 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'm one of the few people who thinks that Manhunter was disappointing. I love Brian Cox, but I don't think he works as Lecter, and other than the awesome shootout at the end, I can't think of one memorable moment.
I thought all the actors were great. William Peterson, Brian Cox & Tom Noonan were on point. IMO Manhunter is almost as good as SOTL.
Old 01-17-11, 11:19 PM

IMO The Duellists, Alien & Blade Runner are Scott's 'masterpieces'.
None of his other films come close.
Kingdom of Heaven Director's Cut is a masterpiece to me. It's a shame the studio really tied Ridley's hands on that and made him edit 45 minutes of crucial character development.
Old 01-18-11, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

I thought all the actors were great. William Peterson, Brian Cox & Tom Noonan were on point. IMO Manhunter is almost as good as SOTL.
I actually prefer Manhunter to SOTL. Well, more than prefer since I've never actually liked SOTL. It's competently made but it never clicked with me for some reason.
Old 01-18-11, 12:40 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

Manhunter is easily my favorite of the series; it set the bar for serious crime films in comparison to the common cop-shootout films of the '80s. It also furthers Mann's talent for working not just with the standard direction but also how the score/music tracks intermingle with the shots.

Supermallet, there's much more than just the ending: the scene where Graham revisits the Leeds House in the middle of the night, the lion scene, the van in the moonlight scene, or the Kitaro-infused dream sequence were all top-notch.
Old 01-18-11, 12:53 AM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

You're acting like I haven't seen it. I've seen it, I was underwhelmed.
Old 01-18-11, 12:58 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

OK, that's cool.
Old 01-18-11, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 78 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by geekster81
Red Dragon was a pointless remake of Manhunter;
I don't know about pointless, but I have to say I enjoyed MANHUNTER better. It was more subtle and somehow a little more believable. I didn't find Lecter that intimidating or captivating at all in this film though.

Hannibal is underrated, with a beautiful setting and an unpredictable story; but people had every right to be disappointed since it certainly didn't live up to RD of Silence. Hannibal Rising = travesty.
I felt it was too predictable and the gore towards the end was almost like a B-movie in execution.
Old 01-18-11, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

I liked Manhunter better than Red Dragon (which I thought was all around bad) but I wasn't really a big fan of either one.
Old 01-18-11, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
I liked Manhunter better than Red Dragon (which I thought was all around bad) but I wasn't really a big fan of either one.
This. Manhunter seemed sluggish and a bit undercooked to me, whereas Red Dragon was glossy, superficial, and dopey. Manhunter was better but neither one was impressive.

Hannibal is a colossal POS but it's more watchable than either of those two.
Old 01-18-11, 08:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Hannibal, if you watch it as a Ridley Scott directed monster movie, is actually pretty good on its own. As a SOTL follow-up, it disappoints. However, with all of its faults, it's nowhere near as bad as it would have been if it had stuck more with its source material. Hannibal was an exercise in pulp by Harris, and Hannibal Rising, which I got dirt cheap when it came out, was the most obvious "cash-in" I had ever read. I was able to zip through the book as Harris used both large print and lots of margins.
Old 01-26-11, 02:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

Ridley Scott's 'Prometheus' Gets High-Profile Summer Release Date
Twentieth Century Fox originally planned to release the high-profile sci-fi in spring 2012.
1:54 PM 1/26/2011 by Pamela McClintock

Twentieth Century Fox has decided to give Ridley Scott’s Prometheus a high-profile summer release, moving the tentpole from March 9, 2012 to June 8, 2012.

Prometheus essentially switches places with Disney’s live-action pic John Carter of Mars, which recently moved onto the March 9 date after Disney pushed Tim Burton’s 3D stop-motion feature Frankenweenie back to Oct. 5. Frankenweenie had staked out the March 9 date well before Prometheus came along.

Prometheus—which has morphed from being an Aliens prequel to original sci-fi tentpole—stars Noomi Repace, star of The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo.

Damon Lindelof is working together with Scott on the new script, which was originally written by Jon Spaihts and based on an idea by Scott.
Old 01-26-11, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

I agree with you 100% and am one of the 6 or so people that actually saw Manhunter in the theater.
Old 01-26-11, 08:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Hannibal is a very calm, visceral, beautiful horror movie. The way it looked and felt really moved me. That's what I took away from it.
Old 01-26-11, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw Manhunter a few years ago and was very underwhelmed by it. Felt cheesy, like an overlong episode of Miami Vice.
Old 01-27-11, 11:54 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

Fassbender in talks for 'Prometheus'
Actor in negotiations to star opposite Rapace in sci-fier
By Rachel Abrams, Justin Kroll

Looking more and more like a summer tentpole, 20th Century Fox's 2012 pic "Prometheus" has moved from March 9 release date to June 8. Fox is negotiating with Michael Fassbender to star as David.

Pic, to be directed by Ridley Scott (who will also produce), will also star Noomi Rapace. Damon Lindelof is rewriting a script penned by Jon Spaihts from an original idea by Scott.

David Giler, Walter Hill and Tony Scott will produce.

Project was first rumored to be an "Aliens" prequel before Fox gave it the "Prometheus" title earlier this month.

"The keen fan will recognize strands of 'Alien's' DNA, so to speak," the helmer said previously in a statement. "But the ideas tackled in this film are unique, large and provocative."

Plot details are being kept under wraps.

In the last week, Fox has made the project one of its top priorities for the next year.

In addition to Fassbender and Rapace, studio is planning to cast one major lead, with Angelina Jolie and Charlize Theron circling.

Fassbender has a clutch of pics slated for release this year, including Fox's "X-Men: First Class."

Fassbender has been considering several upcoming roles, including Universal's "Snow White and the Huntsman."
Old 01-27-11, 12:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

More details - kinda spoilery - from AICN:

There's been a lot of confusion regarding what, exactly, Ridley Scott's PROMETHEUS is - and The Powers That Be don't seem terribly eager to clear the air (nor should they be, necessarily).

At first we heard it was an ALIEN prequel, then we heard that that it wasn't so much a prequel as a project that was more or less unique unto itself (details HERE), although at the time Scott indicated something to the effect of "the keen fan will recognize strands of ALIEN’s DNA, so to speak..."

Now, sources for Sky.com are revealing a few more details about the project that, if correct, make Scott's comments somewhat amusing.

SPOILERY points of interest...

"They’ve built the ‘space jockey’ cockpit at Pinewood as seen in the original Alien film..."

"...familiar HR Giger-style aliens do appear. Big ones apparently."

"Part of the film will be shot in Morocco. I’ve heard that some sort of archeological dig where they discover alien DNA takes place there and that DNA gives them the coordinates for an alien world."

"The main spaceship in the film will be piloted by an enormous head which I assume will be CGI. Yep, sounds weird but I assume some of the technology will be sort of biomechanical."
Old 01-27-11, 01:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sounds excellent to me. It seems like a pseudo-prequel/re-imagining. But I get the feeling Scott hasn't been this excited about a project in a long time. Which could mean something incredible.
Old 01-27-11, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Agree sounds good.
Old 01-27-11, 02:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

So basically, it's not an Alien movie, but it's a film that takes place in the same universe, presumably before the first Alien film...?

Awesome. I'm definitely seeing this.

Last edited by Bob_Bobbson; 01-28-11 at 01:43 AM.
Old 01-27-11, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bob_Bobbson
So basically, it's not an Alien movie, but it's a film that takes place in the same universe, presumably before the first Alien film...

Awesome. I'm definitely seeing this.
If it involves the Space Jockey in any way how could humans be involved?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.