Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
25.21%
30.81%
31.37%
5.32%
2.80%
1.40%
1.68%
0%
0%
0.28%
0.56%
I have no desire to boldly go where many will go before.
0.56%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts
Re: Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Originally Posted by pinata242
It's a marketing decision. Have you see the amount of money his movies make at the Box Office? It's a whole market they tapped into that wouldn't be going to see this movie otherwise.
That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? He's not in any of the trailers or commercials.

Also, to the person who asked "Who cares?". Well, clearly the people who commenting about it. Are we not allowed to? Thought this was a discussion group. Pro and con.
Old 05-08-09, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by GenPion
Who WAS he in the film? I didn't even notice.
He's the guy in charge at the Academy.
Old 05-08-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Since I didn't much keep up with all the goings-on for the Star Trek film (I've gotten to the point where I'd rather save some surprises for myself while seeing the film for the first time), I was surprised to see Tyler Perry and Winona Ryder in the film (along with Rachel Nichols, who dyed her hair for the 1 minute or so of screen time at the behest of Abrams, she worked on Alias's 5th season). And it wouldn't be a JJ Abrams production without Greg Grunberg (Kirk's Stepdad's voice on the Nokia phone call ), and Amanda Foreman.

Last edited by Patman; 05-08-09 at 03:11 PM.
Old 05-08-09, 03:22 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
BIG SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK

Spoiler:
people are going crazy about vulcan being destroyed.
what boards? I need to laugh at that.

Spoiler:
When Spock said he was going to establish a home for the 10,000 Vulcan survivors, I immediately thought "Hey, what about that planet early in TNG that had a population of Vulcans that had no technology and were being observed by the Federation!
Old 05-08-09, 03:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
That's a bit of a stretch isn't it? He's not in any of the trailers or commercials.
Yep. It sure was.
Old 05-08-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
what boards? I need to laugh at that.
trekbbs.com

Old 05-08-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

FWIW, here's my take.

Spoiler:

I’ll get something out of the way right now, just so you know what to expect from this review: I am in no way a “Trekker”, nor have I seen every film and television series in the vast Star Trek canon which has existed for close to 45 years. I own a few of the early films on DVD, yet I’ve only managed to watch Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan, a fantastic film which is frequently hailed as the high watermark of the series. I also own two seasons of the Original Series, a program I enjoy as much for its kitsch and camp factor as I do for its well-written plotlines and characters. Outside of that, I have little knowledge of the Star Trek universe. The subsequent TV series, including Deep Space Nine, Enterprise and others whose titles escape my memory, always seemed too cerebral and obtuse for me to fully embrace.

Enter J.J. Abrams and screenwriters Roberto Orci and Alex Kurtzman. Abrams is someone who’s work I’ve been warming up to, although it’s more for his cinematic endeavors and less for his much-lauded TV work. I don’t watch much scripted television, so you can’t count me among the many followers of Lost or Alias. He hit my radar after making what is arguably the best entry in the Mission: Impossible series, M:I:III, and for producing the best monster movie since 2005’s King Kong, Cloverfield. One thing that has struck me about the man is that he has a penchant for thinking outside of the genre box, so even though I was fairly indifferent to seeing a new Star Trek film on the big screen, the attachment of Abrams as director did pique my interest. As for Orci and Kurtzman, the duo is most well-known for writing 2007’s Transformers, a fact that had me worried until I read that they were both hardcore Trek nerds. That fact alone didn’t make me anticipate the film any more or less, but it did tell me that they were bound to treat the characters with far more respect than anyone speaking a line from Michael Bay’s robotic orgy. Now there was some dreadful dialogue.

This film has a tightly-woven, intricate plot, but it’s not so technical that viewers will be lost. Think of it as Star Trek with a Star Wars sensibility. Sure, there’s lots of geek speak, but nothing so nerdy that you’ll need a detailed post-film breakdown to figure it out. The film is a re-boot to the classic series, tracing the origins of the characters of James T. Kirk and Spock, while also detailing how they came to work with Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy, Scotty, Sulu, Chekov and Uhura. Interwoven within that story is the revenge tale of Nero, a Romulan who has traveled through time searching for Spock, whom he holds responsible for the future destruction of his home planet, Romulus.

Though the film is ostensibly focused on providing background on all of the classic crew members, this film is undoubtedly Spock’s. Played here by Zachary Quinto, and, thanks to the disruption of the space-time continuum, Leonard Nimoy, the film traces Spock’s history, from his childhood as a social outcast to his adolescent struggles with his own inner turmoil. Being a human/Vulcan hybrid, he is constantly in a state of inner turmoil, never quite sure whether to fully embrace his emotionless and logical Vulcan heritage, or to express his constant stream of very real emotion as a human would. Nimoy owns this role and it’s what he’ll always be remembered for, so I have no qualms with his acting here. Hell, I can hardly accept seeing the man without his trademark haircut and pointed ears. Quinto, on the other hand, took some getting used to. Initially, I had reservations about whether or not he was right for the part. His acting style seemed too schizophrenic and uneven, but then I realized that he was mirroring Spock’s inner conflict, so his performance was bound to be as such. Make no mistake, Spock is a much different incarnation here; he has a furious temper in addition to a love life, which some purists may or may not be able to accept. Still, by the end of the film Quinto’s Spock fit in perfectly with the rest of the crew on the bridge.

Spock may have been the film’s primary focus, but almost as much attention is focused on the birth, childhood and start at the academy of James T. Kirk. Famously portrayed with ham-fisted, scene-chewing panache courtesy of William Shatner, here the role is taken over by Chris Pike. Pike still has that cocky swagger that made Kirk such a memorable character, but he’s also a much tougher man. Gone is the stilted dialogue that has become a trademark of Shatner’s; Pike is headstrong and confident without resorting to cheesy mannerisms. His rapid ascent to Captain of a Federation Starship is the most-convincing of the crew’s many promotions (more on that minor gripe in a bit). I’m glad the role didn’t go to Matt Damon, as had been rumored, because a role like this calls for a relatively unknown actor and, though Pike may be limited in range, he has the necessary chops to lead the film series.

The rest of the cast is mostly spot-on, save for one: Sulu. Now, I realize it’s hard for anyone to step into George Takei’s signature role, but I think this called for an unknown actor rather than everyone’s favorite bong-loading White Castle fetishist, John Cho. You know, the Asian guy from Harold & Kumar. I don’t think he’s necessarily a weak link, but I just don’t think he fit the role as well as his other compatriots.

My personal favorite was Karl Urban as Dr. Leonard “Bones” McCoy. Urban is mainly known for heavy fantasy epics like Lord of the Rings, The Chronicles of Riddick and TV series like Xena: Warrior Princess. I’ll tell you this much, the guy has some impressive comedic chops in addition to perfectly channeling DeForest Kelley (the original Dr. McCoy) without resorting to complete imitation. He was easily the highlight of the supporting cast.

I’m a Simon Pegg fan, so I didn’t mind him taking over the role of Scotty. I’m just glad they didn’t somehow figure out a way to pair him up with Nick Frost, because that would have really thrown off the film’s balance. Pegg is a bit goofier than James Doohan’s Scotty, but not so much that it’s a distraction. I enjoyed the comedic relief he brought to some of the film’s more intense scenes.

Everyone else works well enough. Zoe Saldana does a good job in the role of Nyoda Uhura, Spock’s secret love interest. Aside from providing an angle for a potential love triangle, there really isn’t a lot for her to do. Same with Anton Yelchin as Chekov, although he does provide some laughs thanks to his thick accent. I really dug Bruce Greenwood as Capt. Christopher Pike. He’s one of those strong character actors that makes you say, “Hey, I know that guy from somewhere”, yet you can’t put a name to the face. Keep an eye out for Tyler Perry as a court official. Yes, that Tyler Perry. You know what? The guy might make atrocious films but he is perfectly acceptable here. At least we know he can act when he wants to.

Still reading? I’ll attempt to make the rest a bit briefer; brevity is obviously not a strong point with me. The effects here are superb. Everything is impressive; even my girlfriend commented on how awesome the effects were and she rarely gives a rat’s ass about things of that sort. Nero’s Romulan mining vessel left me completely awestruck the first time it makes an appearance. All of the landscapes, planets, interstellar constellations and alien races are so believable as to provide an almost tangible appearance. It’s not too hard to envision people inhabiting these worlds. The space battles are intense as well. Well, I felt like the entire last half of the film was intense, but the battles are just plain awesome.

I’ve already touched on the writing and direction, both of which are impeccable. I never thought I could enjoy a Star Trek film this much and, yet, that’s exactly what this one has managed to do. I think that’s an edge that will allow this film to have some real legs at the box office: the ability to get non-Trekkers on-board. Forget whatever preconceived notions you have of a Star Trek film, because this isn’t your nerdy, virginal 42-year old co-workers Star Trek. It’s smart, sharp, witty and intensely savage at times. Everything you wouldn’t expect from a film of this ilk. I highly recommend you see this on an IMAX screen because it’s fucking insane. I have no doubt I’ll go back for one more round before the film is out of theaters.

Yea, it's a bit lengthy.
Old 05-08-09, 04:49 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 986 Likes on 823 Posts

Adjectives used to describe my feelings:
thrilling, exciting, dramatic, nostalgic, hilarious, emotional, re-invigorating, gorgeous, sonicly teeth rattling, edge-of-your-seat.

Short, but Sweet Review:
saw this right after work with a friend of mine. this is what Summer movies are all about. it really was a great re-invention of the franchise. i am one who loves the "Star Trek" theatrical productions, but never got into the series' so i was all pumped for a new movie.

this did the franchise justice and then some. J.J. Abrams really took care with an already established and fruitful product. he made a movie for fans and non-fans alike. all you have to be is a fan of good movies to enjoy this one. but i do think you get more enjoyment out of it if you know some of the history, some of the key lines and mannerisms of the established characters.

Acting:
Chris Pine just started a career and he will be in high demand after this. as many have said...he owns "James T. Kirk" and his character was probably the only one that didn't closely resemble its elder counterpart. he made it fresh and new, but kept the spirit of what Kirk is all about, portrayed by Shatner, very much alive.

Quinto did a very good job as well, but i was completely and pleasantly surprised at how much John Cho kicked ass as Sulu! and Simon Pegg is "Scotty" and i would just see anything he is in because he rocks.

i was also impressed with Leonard Nimoy and the fact that Abrams gave him a really good role and not just a throwaway cameo.

Audio and Visuals:
also, loved the title card sequence. really insignificant and small, but that scene alone gave me chills. and really stunning and breath-taking visuals throughout. great CGI, inventive and creative. even and consistent and never really looked forced or fake.

sound was just off-the-charts. great bass and really stunningly rattling. also, loved the absence of sound when
Spoiler:
the woman was blown out of the 'U.S.S. Kelvin' and the Sulu, Kirk, and red-shirt enson drop

2 minor gripes:
1. Karl Urban, i thought over-impersonated DeForest Kelley's McCoy, but i was surprised to see another level to him and the fact he could actually be verbose as most of the films i've seen him in (Riddick, Bourne 2, Pathfinder, Doom) he didn't say too much. also, Yelchin's Chekov was a little much as well.

2. one too many throat grabs.

Summation:
first time in a really long time that i had an urge to see it again right away. don't think i will, but it gives you that sense of thrill to want to experience it over and over. like a great roller coaster ride where once just isn't enough and probably another time would cement the fact that you enjoyed it so much the first time.

excellent kick-off to the summer for me and i really can't see anything topping it, though the new trailer for "Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen" that played before made that look pretty good.

just a really good job all around by everyone involved.

i'm giving it 4 out of 5 as yes, there were some hiccups, and i didn't truly think the movie took off until the Enterprise did. but very minor as the before was still very good and in retrospect i think i will think a grade higher is in order, but right now 4.

Final Words:
with those aside, very fun time at the movies and don't forget to stick around for the end credits because
Spoiler:
the "Star Trek" theme music is awesome!

Last edited by OldBoy; 05-08-09 at 05:06 PM.
Old 05-08-09, 05:00 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
If someone says "I found Nero underwritten and I didn't like that," I don't think anyone would argue. But when someone says "Spock isn't Spock anymore, he's running around making out with everyone!" Then you can't help but feel that said person just wanted TOS translated directly to the screen without any changes.
I'm relatively new to the Trek-verse (this was the first film I had the opportunity to see in theaters), but I have seen everything now, and I have to admit some things felt "off" in the movie to me. I just attribute it to Nero's arrival there changing things.. the whole butterfly effect. I actually expected Nero to give in once he found out it was an alternate reality, and his actions there didn't necessarily effect his planets' future.

Okay- now if I may have a total geek moment regarding the four-part comic prequel "Countdown";
Spoiler:
In the comic, it was revealed that Nero's ship is part Borg technology. I thought it would have been great if, after the credits, a part of his ship with the Borg tech was see just floating in space, but transmitting - like a homing device. Of course, this would also have necessitated explaining his ship in the film, which didn't happen.
But that was my thought.
Old 05-08-09, 05:28 PM
Mok

I liked it, it was a pretty good movie coming from a casual Star Trek fan. I didn't think it was amazing, but still very well done. I have to say the guy who played Bones kicked major ass.
Old 05-08-09, 05:29 PM

did anyone else think Urban's McCoy was a bit overdone? i am wondering if i read him wrong, thinking it was an over-impersonation.
Old 05-08-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I think another thing fans that complain about this movie are missing: the very fact that Abrams and company went to great lengths to fit this reboot in with existing continuity shows how much they respect the original material.

They could have just pulled a BSG and made a completely insular, stand-alone reboot... but they didn't. The Spock stuff alone is worth the price of admission for any fan.
Old 05-08-09, 05:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by scott1598
did anyone else think Urban's McCoy was a bit overdone? i am wondering if i read him wrong, thinking it was an over-impersonation.
I thought he was great. He rode a fine line between sincere imitation and obscene parody, but I never once thought he was overdoing it.
Old 05-08-09, 05:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 373 Likes on 267 Posts

Originally Posted by BartleyR7
I buy all of these explanations.
Spoiler:
Red matter causes time-shifting black holes? Sure! Enterprise has parking brakes? Why not! Future Romulan mining lasers on a large chain interfere with transporters? Of course they do!
I'm pretty sure the parking break line was just the crew giving the new guy some shit.
Old 05-08-09, 05:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I'm pretty sure the parking break line was just the crew giving the new guy some shit.
And I'm sure there was some other technology on that long-ass flame-thrower that can jam communications as well as transporters. Heck,
Spoiler:
it's from the future for crying out loud. It's gotta be more advanced in some way.
Old 05-08-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I loved it, but it felt like Galaxy Quest II:

Spoiler:
When Scotty was trapped in the water turbine, I expected Kirk to start screaming "Why is this here?! there's no reason for this to be here! whoever wrote this movie should die!"

The chrome handle on the Enterprise to engage the warp drive, and the new driver not knowing how to pilot the ship.

The new, obviously inexperienced pilot scratches the hull

You gotta love how strangely cast some people are. An Australian cast as a Southerner with a Scottish name. I thought he did a great job though.

The final battle (and even the ship itself) was very similar to Sarris' ship. Hell, even the main villain.

The transporter looks about as complicated to use as the digitizer.

Captain Pike's torture scene was very reminiscent of Malthasar being tortured.

Red Matter might as well have been a Beryllium sphere.
Old 05-08-09, 06:02 PM

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I thought he was great. He rode a fine line between sincere imitation and obscene parody, but I never once thought he was overdoing it.
yeah, maybe not. it didn't detract from the movie, i just thought it was more of an imitation where everyone else seemed to make their parts unique in their ways.
Old 05-08-09, 06:23 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 594 Likes on 340 Posts

My one word review: flawless.
Old 05-08-09, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it earlier today. I have never liked anything "Trek" before but I loved this movie! It didn't feel like a Trek movie, which is probably why I liked it
Old 05-08-09, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3,347 Likes on 2,138 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
yeah, maybe not. it didn't detract from the movie, i just thought it was more of an imitation where everyone else seemed to make their parts unique in their ways.
With the exception of the line "Damn it man, I'm a doctor not a physicist!" I thought he did fantastic. That line however bordered on parody.

I also loved Chris Pine channeling Shatner in the simulation test while eating the apple. Just the right amount of impersonation.
Old 05-08-09, 07:39 PM

Pine's very last scene was the most Shatner-like of any delivery. And it was waaaaaaay toned down.
Old 05-08-09, 07:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I love it ((Star Wars Fan)) and I think I will see this marvelous film AGAIN!(2-3 times maybe).
Old 05-08-09, 07:59 PM
Enormous Genitals

Location: a small cottage on a cul de sac in the lower pits of hell.
Received 594 Likes on 340 Posts

Originally Posted by Bandit03
Saw it earlier today. I have never liked anything "Trek" before but I loved this movie! It didn't feel like a Trek movie, which is probably why I liked it
It's amazing how this movie both didn't and did feel like Trek. I felt like I was revisitng old friends, and starting a whole new story. Exactly what Abrams intended, I guess.
Old 05-08-09, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think the review in LA Weekly by Scott Foundas said it best:

"Already overpraised... (re alt timeline) a concept about as novel as the "dream" season of Dallas that ended with Bobby Ewing in the shower... Starfleet 90210"..

You have to wade through a lot of melodrama and cliches to get to the decent stuff

C'mon, just from a cinematic perspective, not Trekker quibbles

Spoiler:

Kirk's mother giving birth on the ship... Ugh... Actually the whole opening... bad melodrama...

Kirk stealing a car as a kid, how many times are going to see that scene??? and it was totally unnecessary...

Spock as a kid.. Actually I was miserable until the Kobayashi Maru...

Almost every character got their position by happenstance (as someone stated previously)

Spock & Uhura forced relationship...

Last edited by hasslein; 05-09-09 at 12:30 AM.
Old 05-08-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

This was one of the most flat out entertaining Summer movies I've ever seen. There were numerous problems in it both on a plot and execution level (for the love of god Abrams, BACK OFF THE ACTORS. I don't need to see up their nose.) but surprisingly, it didn't bother me much.

So in the end, not perfect but hugely entertaining. 4 out of 5. The Iron Man comparison the ads are making is apt, it's actually a bit more fun than that movie but they both felt a bit hollow.

Also there was a weird sexual vibe going on between Quinto and Rider. It kind of creeped me out.

Last edited by RichC2; 05-09-09 at 12:22 AM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.