Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread
25.21%
30.81%
31.37%
5.32%
2.80%
1.40%
1.68%
0%
0%
0.28%
0.56%
I have no desire to boldly go where many will go before.
0.56%
Voters: 357. You may not vote on this poll

Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-08-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Star Trek (J.J. Abrams, 2009) — The Reviews Thread

Saw this on the IMAX last night. Holy fuck - was I blown away! Even my gf, who normally isn't into this type of film, thought it was awesome. Very intense, the FX were superb and the story felt incredibly epic. I warmed up to the cast by the end of the film. although I still think Sulu was miscast. I just keep expecting Cho to pull out a bong everytime he's on screen. Nero's ship was insane.

If I had to nitpick, one thing that bothered me was
Spoiler:
how quickly everyone from the classic series attained their rank. It seemed like one minute they were all cadets and then the next they were assuming the highest position left and right. I know the filmmakers wanted to get the team together, but all of that seemed a bit too convenient for the film.

Aside from that, I felt it was pitch-perfect. I'm probably going to see it again tonight, more than likely on IMAX again.

I'd give it 9/10. VERY close to a perfect film for me.
Old 05-08-09, 11:29 AM
Banned

Received 377 Likes on 296 Posts

Great movie!!! It is my among my favorite Trek movies now. Superb jobs all around. Even better on IMAX, not to be missed.

Since it's only playing 2 weeks on IMAX I suggest you run out and buy your ticket fast!
Old 05-08-09, 11:57 AM
Premium Member

Received 742 Likes on 487 Posts

Saw it last night. I thought it was really well done. This has more of the real "movie" epic feel rather than just another TV show episode.

My only complaint is the Chekov character. His talking seemed 'too' forced and kinda took me out of every scene when he spoke. Other than that, great movie.
Old 05-08-09, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

Liked it... 3.5/4 stars I guess. Just a few nitpicks here and there, but other than that it was fun. Am I converted and going to go watch all the other movies? Probably not, but definitely a fan of this new (hopefully) set of films.
Old 05-08-09, 12:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A pretty damn good movie for a Star Trek film, but overrated, since the story was fair and the villains weren't that well written. This movie is all about the acting, characters, and chemistry among everyone.

This movie reminded me of, and is basically at the same level, as Serenity. So it's just a nice blockbuster for the time being, but will soon be forgotten as a memorable sci-fi film, but will be respected when mentioned. It will certainly be remembered as the best Star Trek film I guess.

I think this will be Chris Pine's only big film. He was really good, but he doesn't seem like the type of actor that will be successful in anything else. He looks like a young Tom Beringer actually.

Zoe was hot and so was her green roommate.

Karl Urban was awesome. It's almost like he was the Han Solo in this movie. I feel like I would have rather watched the adventures of Bones rather than Kirk. Karl Urban is now going to be a very popular man at geek/nerd conventions (Star Trek, Pathfinder, Lord of the Rings, Chronicles of Riddick, Xena).

Young Spock was awesome too. I wonder how Trekkies feel about him being so kick-ass. I don't remember Spock like that.

Old Spock was entertaining in a Yoda way, but I think he was the worst actor of the bunch. Nemoy ain't Christopher Lee.

Charlie Barlett was great as the Russian dude. And Simon Pegg was good as well.

All the actors were excellent more or less. I like Bana playing villains, but his role seemed to be the worst written..

Clifton Collins (Bana's sidekick) is in every movie I've seen this year it feels like. He's a great actor too - easily can do creepy villain to nice guy.

The overall direction was excellent, but most of the action scenes were to quickly cut and I couldn't really see what was going on. The best action scene in the whole movie was the skydiving along the drill scene. That was intense!

The greatest surpises in the movie were:
Spoiler:
Beastie Boys soundtrack and Tyler Perry having a role in the movie!
Old 05-08-09, 12:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I think this will be Chris Pine's only big film. He was really good, but he doesn't seem like the type of actor that will be successful in anything else. He looks like a young Tom Beringer actually.
Kingdom of the Spiders remake. Wait for it.
Old 05-08-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Clifton Collins (Bana's sidekick) is in every movie I've seen this year it feels like. He's a great actor too - easily can do creepy villain to nice guy.
I think he's good, too, but all I could think of was his character, Tack, from The Stoned Age.

"Yea, but these are TALLS, man!"
Old 05-08-09, 01:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 225 Likes on 160 Posts

It'll probably be the biggest film for a lot of the actors... and if they crank out a couple more sequels than they've got it made pretty much. It is only...logical.
Old 05-08-09, 01:07 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I really enjoyed the movie, but at the same time I'm sad in knowing that while all the 30 seasons/10 films of previous Trek still "exist", we will never see it again. I'm amused too at the fact that anyone who puts down the movie here is automatically labeled "nerd" in a condecending way.

I did have my issues with the movie, one being that for all of Abrams talk of the characters/relationships being *the* most imporatant thing - over the action, science, gadgets, etc. - there was very little character development. They all felt very shallow to me.

On the characters, I was most skeptical of Simon Pegg's casting, but after sweeing him, he was absolutely perfect! Pine was *way* more of a womaizer than Shatner ever was, and all I could see was Sylar in Quinto's performance for the first ten minutes. Urban was also great as McCoy, and Yelchin's Chekov sounded just as fake and forced as Koenig's.

Over-all, the movie was good, but as "Star Trek" I wasn't overly satisfied. Everyone (including the writers) constantly complaining about canon being a hinderance to me is just laziness. If you're a good storyteller, that should be the end of it. And I'm way beyond tired of remakes/reimaginings- again, lazy writing and creativity.

Just my opinions and little bit of rambling off the top of my head!
Old 05-08-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

What are the odds that any of the TNG/DS9/Voyager characters we knew from the original timeline don't exist in this one? Be it the destruction of the Kelvin or Vulcan or the Starfleet response?

I mean, James T. Kirk was moments away from never existing, it's certainly possible that someone else has already had their chance taken from them, though I don't know enough to know who that might have been.

Anyway...

I loved this movie. I'm not a Star Trek fan by any stretch, but I knew enough to get all the references and feel like nothing was missed or just for the hardcore. I think it spoke to the general public extremely well. I loved Nimoy's closing narration and the use of the original theme.

Not enough Simon Pegg.

Where do they go from here, though? Will they have stories that people care about? Do we get Kahn all over again?
Old 05-08-09, 01:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by lordwow
Tyler Perry was in because Abrams asked him, Abrams is apparently a big fan of his.
Ugh. Really? This just reminds me there are two sides to Abrams. The one who makes Star Trek and then the one who writes crap like Joyride.

I find it funny that both times I saw the film with a full audience, when Tyler Perry showed up, you could hear groans around the auditorium.

Originally Posted by reverie
I really enjoyed the movie, but at the same time I'm sad in knowing that while all the 30 seasons/10 films of previous Trek still "exist", we will never see it again. I'm amused too at the fact that anyone who puts down the movie here is automatically labeled "nerd" in a condecending [sic] way.
I don't think anyone who dislikes it is getting labeled a nerd, just those people whose sole reason for disliking it is that it varies in any way from established Trek. That was the point, to deviate and create something new. If you want old Trek, you have 5 TV series and 10 movies to enjoy.

If someone says "I found Nero underwritten and I didn't like that," I don't think anyone would argue. But when someone says "Spock isn't Spock anymore, he's running around making out with everyone!" Then you can't help but feel that said person just wanted TOS translated directly to the screen without any changes.

Last edited by Supermallet; 05-08-09 at 01:43 PM.
Old 05-08-09, 01:50 PM

I grew up on the original movies and TNG on TV. I saw every TOS movie from III up to VI and First Contact from TNG in the theaters. This far and away feels like what should have been the succession plan once Shatner and crew hung up their blazers. TNG movies were just that...TNG movies. This crew on paper and on screen is the rightful successor to that crew.

I loved the soundtrack surprise when young JTK is rolling through the desert. I HATED the inclusion of Tyler Perry. I also loved
Spoiler:
the way that they gave Nimoy the goodbye that the rest of the cast had already received in Generations.
Old 05-08-09, 02:08 PM
GCS
DVD Talk Special Edition

Saw it this AM.

EXCELLENT, EXCELLENT flick. Much better than Wolverine.

Is it perfect ... NO.

Is it Trek ... YES.

Is it your "old school" Trek ... NO.

Is it better than that ... NO ... but it is just as good.

Really enjoyed this movie. I too have some of the same "issues" with the movies as you guys (i.e. Spock) but it still worked for me. It was fun, enjoyable, well paced, action packed, funny when (and with which characters) it needed to be. WTF more could you want??

I am convinced Trek fans won't be happy with anything, no matter what is on screen. I am happy with the film and that's all that matters in my book. My wife loved it as well.

BTW I will say this I was VERY worried when I saw Karl Urban as Bones but Holy F*$@&)g S*&%t was he spot on or what!?!??!! He really nailed and I am very shocked. Simon Pegg was quite good as Scotty as well (just not enough of him). They even managed to get me to buy the "MILF guy" as Sulu.

Overall well done guys and I look forward to #2. Let's hope that can pull a Spiderman/X-men/Batman job on film #2 and have it be better than #1.

If you are at all on the fence go see it and enjoy it.

Greg
Old 05-08-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

I liked it a lot. I thought that it had just the right amount of action and the action scenes didn't go on too long or get silly. The only action scene I didn't like was when Kirk was on the icy planet and the goofy creatures were chasing him.

I'm sure there are dorks out there complaining because the stripes on their uniforms are half-inch instead of 3/4 inch, or that Shatner is 6 feet tall and the new guy is only 5 foot 11. Stupid crap like that.
Old 05-08-09, 02:27 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Ugh. Really? This just reminds me there are two sides to Abrams. The one who makes Star Trek and then the one who writes crap like Joyride.
I thought Joyride was one of the better horror flicks at that time. It wasn't great but didn't think it was THAT bad. And who knows, maybe he knows Tyler Perry another way, like how Judd Apatow and Adam Sandler were roommates back in the late 80s/early 90s. Yeah I got nothing.
Old 05-08-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

BIG SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK

Spoiler:
people are going crazy about vulcan being destroyed.
Old 05-08-09, 02:34 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by superdeluxe
BIG SPOILERS DO NOT CLICK

Spoiler:
people are going crazy about vulcan being destroyed.
It's exactly that kind of thing that demanded this film take place in an alternate timeline.
Old 05-08-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts

I find it funny that both times I saw the film with a full audience, when Tyler Perry showed up, you could hear groans around the auditorium.

That was me, sorry Yeah, points off for hiring Madea for anything. Also, points off for that bad wig on young James Kirk.

But sorry, Abrams earns more points from me on "Joy Ride". Didn't know he wrote that. That was a terrific and (I thought) smart little horror film. Scary as hell. Another another winner from John Dahl.
Old 05-08-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't get anyone being bothered by Tyler Perry being in the film... he doesn't ruin anything, it's not like he's running around like Madea or anything. He's just a guy in a brief role. Who cares?
Old 05-08-09, 02:41 PM
Banned by request

It's the principle of the thing. The man is a blight on cinema. I'd feel the same if it were Larry The Cable Guy or Uwe Boll in that role.
Old 05-08-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 80 Likes on 51 Posts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
I don't get anyone being bothered by Tyler Perry being in the film... he doesn't ruin anything, it's not like he's running around like Madea or anything. He's just a guy in a brief role. Who cares?
And it also wasn't a comedic role. It would be one thing if he played his normal type of character, but he didn't. Some people will bitch about anything. Earlier in this thread someone was asking why Winona Ryder was in the film. I don't know, maybe because she is an actress.
Old 05-08-09, 02:42 PM
DVD Talk Hero

It's the principle of the thing. The man is a blight on cinema. I'd feel the same if it were Larry The Cable Guy or Uwe Boll in that role.
It's a marketing decision. Have you see the amount of money his movies make at the Box Office? It's a whole market they tapped into that wouldn't be going to see this movie otherwise.
Old 05-08-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Who WAS he in the film? I didn't even notice.
Old 05-08-09, 02:43 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cdollaz
And it also wasn't a comedic role. It would be one thing if he played his normal type of character, but he didn't. Some people will bitch about anything. Earlier in this thread someone was asking why Winona Ryder was in the film. I don't know, maybe because she is an actress.
I didn't even notice it was her until I saw her name in the credits.
Old 05-08-09, 02:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Same here. His movies might be cinematic sludge but he played the role admirably. I saw no problem.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.