DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/554319-district-9-blomkamp-2009-%97-ex-halo-director-fleshes-out-alive-joburg.html)

Sessa17 08-16-09 12:39 PM

Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9647794)
So, basically, you're holding your own expectations against it; ST was exactly what you expected from it, and therefore it was great. D9 was not what you expected and/or failed to meet your expectations, so it's not so great. That's how the above reads.

No, both are my opinions of films that I made after seeing them. You are reading into things that aren't there.

I had no expectations of either film going into them. I had never seen anything Star Trek before seeing the film, thus, no expectations & I posted before D9 even came out, that I had been staying away from knowing anything about the movie, I had only seen the trailer once. Again, I've posted this 3 times now, D9 is an in your face message film, wrapped in a Sci-fi genre. It purposely tries to ground itself in reality, thus, it exposes it's large plot holes by doing so. Second, I do not care for the message of the film, you like it, great more power to you, for me, a humans are evil movie with gaping inconstancies does not equal best movie of the year or a masterpiece. Every major human character in the film is portrayed as evil, or a self-centered shmuck, so I didn't care what happened to any of them. It's just my opinion, everyone else here loves it.

Supermallet 08-16-09 12:41 PM

Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 9647860)
They are scenery, not characters in a film. They don't have names or even speaking roles, they are not portrayed in any manner outside of just that, being protestors.

The talking heads that pop up throughout the movie aren't evil or good. Just commentators.

Baron Of Hell 08-16-09 12:44 PM

Originally Posted by Numanoid (Post 9647796)
Spoiler:
I believe Christopher was a leader on the mothership, perhaps the only one to survive. If you recall, they showed that a piece of the ship dropped off soon after its arrival, and was never found. That's obviously the ship beneath Christopher's shack. It is likely that Christopher was on that mini-ship from the beginning (perhaps intentionally abandoning all the workers to die -- take that Sessa17! ;) ). Christopher's son was educated by his father, as was his dopey friend (who still wasn't too bright).

Yeah I thought of that and agree about what fell from the mothership. I guess I shied away from your idea because if true the smart aliens are just as bad as the humans. It would basically mean they kept their own people locked up under terrible conditions by choice and then abandoned them. But that could very well be what happened.

Sessa17 08-16-09 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9647885)
The talking heads that pop up throughout the movie aren't evil or good. Just commentators.

In deleted scenes we are going to find out that they are all a part of a black market puppy smuggling ring that steal dogs from blind people only to train them to eat babies.

Supermallet 08-16-09 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Baron Of Hell (Post 9647888)
Yeah I thought of that and agree about what fell from the mothership. I guess I shied away from your idea because if true the smart aliens are just as bad as the humans. It would basically mean they kept their own people locked up under terrible conditions by choice and then abandoned them. But that could very well be what happened.

It's hard to judge the entire scenario when we don't know what drove them to Earth in the first place (it's clear from the dialogue in the film that their own world is still inhabitable), and everything we saw about their arrival was from the human perspective. Also, while this isn't really suggested in the movie, we don't know what the prawn life cycle is like, so it's possible that Christopher is not one of the prawns who arrived on the initial mothership, or if he did, he could have been a child.

Groucho 08-16-09 01:30 PM

What happened to the clip from the trailers where somebody is interrogating the alien about weapons, and it states that it just wants to go home?

boogieman03 08-16-09 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9647972)
What happened to the clip from the trailers where somebody is interrogating the alien about weapons, and it states that it just wants to go home?

Good question. I was waiting for that part.

DeltaSigChi4 08-16-09 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9647583)
Even the human protesters that were against MNU involvement? The ones with signs that said "Aliens are my friends"? :hscratch:

My favourite was one that had a heart symbol like I [HEART] NY or I [HEART] Huckabees. I think it read I [HEART] Aliens. :lol:

Originally Posted by boogieman03 (Post 9647976)

And that's why I don't watch trailers.

E

slop101 08-16-09 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by boogieman03 (Post 9647976)

A lot of films have scenes filmed solely for trailers and teasers that were never meant to be part of the main film - this was one of them. Their intentions with the trailer become apparent when you look at the very first trailer and there's no subtitles for the alien, and then the second trailer add the subtitles of "we just want to go home", completely changing the dynamics of the scene.

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 9647879)
No, both are my opinions of films that I made after seeing them. You are reading into things that aren't there.

I had no expectations of either film going into them. I had never seen anything Star Trek before seeing the film, thus, no expectations & I posted before D9 even came out, that I had been staying away from knowing anything about the movie, I had only seen the trailer once. Again, I've posted this 3 times now, D9 is an in your face message film, wrapped in a Sci-fi genre. It purposely tries to ground itself in reality, thus, it exposes it's large plot holes by doing so. Second, I do not care for the message of the film, you like it, great more power to you, for me, a humans are evil movie with gaping inconstancies does not equal best movie of the year or a masterpiece. Every major human character in the film is portrayed as evil, or a self-centered shmuck, so I didn't care what happened to any of them. It's just my opinion, everyone else here loves it.

Weird, as I never saw this as any sort of "message movie", especially one that's "in your face" - sure, there's some parallels to be made to Apartheid, but that's just stems naturally from the director's life - secondly, I saw none of the plot holes that you speak of - each one you brought up has already been addressed, and nit-picking aside, shows that you weren't even paying attention. And where you saw "evil" with each human, I just saw motivation, misplaced or otherwise, which made sense, maybe not realistic, but believable enough to keep me engaged in the film.

RyoHazuki 08-16-09 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 (Post 9647429)
How do you know that they know? Maybe the fucking gang butcher on prawn duty inside District Nine doesn't watch BBC World News. Or maybe he doesn't read the journal from cover-to-cover everyday. From what I understood, it appeared as he was surprised and amused that a Caucasian man was in line for some real meat in his disgusting kiosk. He may not have been subscribed to the CNN podcast.

They definitely acknowledge that they know who he is.

Matthew Chmiel 08-16-09 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki (Post 9648002)
They definitely acknowledge that they know who he is.

But not until later on in the film when it's the gang leader who has the magazine article that he was found having "intercourse" with an alien. In that first initial scene, they're just confused on why he's even there.

DeltaSigChi4 08-16-09 02:24 PM

Thanks Matthew. I don't really do well arguing facts because it astonishes me that something as clear as that can be misconstrued and listed under fictitious "plot holes".

E

RyoHazuki 08-16-09 02:27 PM

I didn't say it was a plot hole. I said it was a gripe. Its dumb that they don't try to at least take him into custody for some ransom.

DeltaSigChi4 08-16-09 02:37 PM

Right. Because you believe that South Africa has some sort of 'every Caucasian seen, is kidnapped' way of life? Which exact part of the unequivocal fact that the butcher, and others hanging around the butcher's kiosk didn't have the slightest clue of who he was. Just some crazy white guy trying to buy some steak.

E

RyoHazuki 08-16-09 02:47 PM

Prior to the butcher scene, we have the lady in the suit doing the interviews say that his photo is everywhere and you couldn't go anywhere without seeing it. Even if the butcher's didn't know who he was (which is stupid considering the scene with the lady), the guys after that knew who he was. The fact that they don't try to aprehend the most wanted man on earth is dumb. Do you see what I'm getting at? Do you understand why I think the most wanted man on earth would have value?

Sessa17 08-16-09 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9647997)
.Weird, as I never saw this as any sort of "message movie", sure, there's some parallels to be made to Apartheid,

Well, there you have it, please do not accuse me of "not paying attention". Some parallels made to Apartheid? It's literally the allegory the film is based on & is throughout the entire movie. You never saw this as a "message movie"? What were you watching then? Or are you just in love with this movie b/c the special effects were neat & they blew stuff up really well. Peter Jackson fell in love with the script b/c of the message of the movie & that it tried to be more than just your average sci-fi. Those were his words. The creators have talked about the message the film carries. Yet you, who refused to admit there is any fault in this supposed masterpiece, just have said in you own words, that this is no kind of message movie, so you missed the entire point of the film you love so much.

I saw none of the plot holes that you speak of - each one you brought up has already been addressed,
Of coarse you didn't see the plot holes, you didn't even see any message in the film. And none of my points have been proven wrong, I just don't feel like arguing with every single reply. Clearly you think this is a flawless film, & you can't fathom that someone doesn't see it the way you do. And once again, I liked the movie, it's just not the flawless masterpiece that people are making it out to be.

And where you saw "evil" with each human, I just saw motivation, misplaced or otherwise,.
rotfl

Again, you are just seeing what you want to see. So when the father beyond inhumanely, tells the doctors to dissect every single last part of Mikus, doing so literally in front of Mikus why he is still alive, screaming for his life listening to this entire conversation take place, & then later on the same father LIES TO HIS own daughter about what really happened to Mikus, something that, I don't know, call me weird, I interpreted as the essence of pure, unfathomable evil, but to you this guy was just a highly motivated go-getter.

DeltaSigChi4 08-16-09 03:02 PM

Spoiler:
Which guys after that? The guys who brought him at GUNPOINT to the leader, so they could chop off his prawn arm? Do you see what I'm getting at? What you're claiming didn't happen did happen.

E

Neil M. 08-16-09 03:12 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki (Post 9648097)
Prior to the butcher scene, we have the lady in the suit doing the interviews say that his photo is everywhere and you couldn't go anywhere without seeing it. Even if the butcher's didn't know who he was (which is stupid considering the scene with the lady), the guys after that knew who he was. The fact that they don't try to aprehend the most wanted man on earth is dumb. Do you see what I'm getting at? Do you understand why I think the most wanted man on earth would have value?

Actually, it makes sense that they would not try to kidnap him. You wouldn't piss off the people who basically allow you to exist within District 9. I think it was established early on that the MNU basically looks the other way and I'm sure that the humans exploiting the prawns would like to keep it that way.

Supermallet 08-16-09 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 9648113)
Well, there you have it, please do not accuse me of "not paying attention". Some parallels made to Apartheid? It's literally the allegory the film is based on & is throughout the entire movie. You never saw this as a "message movie"? What were you watching then? Or are you just in love with this movie b/c the special effects were neat & they blew stuff up really well. Peter Jackson fell in love with the script b/c of the message of the movie & that it tried to be more than just your average sci-fi. Those were his words. The creators have talked about the message the film carries. Yet you, who refused to admit there is any fault in this supposed masterpiece, just have said in you own words, that this is no kind of message movie, so you missed the entire point of the film you love so much.

Again, you are just seeing what you want to see. So when the father beyond inhumanely, tells the doctors to dissect every single last part of Mikus, doing so literally in front of Mikus why he is still alive, screaming for his life listening to this entire conversation take place, & then later on the same father LIES TO HIS own daughter about what really happened to Mikus, something that, I don't know, call me weird, I interpreted as the essence of pure, unfathomable evil, but to you this guy was just a highly motivated go-getter.

So, you agree that it's about apartheid, which was a pretty terrible example of human behavior, yet you find it unrealistic that people would act inhumanely towards each other in the film? Were you hoping for an apartheid movie that involved puppy dogs and rainbows?

Numanoid 08-16-09 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki (Post 9648035)
Its dumb that they don't try to at least take him into custody for some ransom.

Honor amongst thieves. Bad guys don't tend to have much respect for the cops, and they certainly don't call them very often.

Numanoid 08-16-09 03:30 PM

Sessa17's evaluation that the theme of the movie is that all people are evil and suck is perfectly valid, and the same one I interpreted it to have. Difference between us is that I accept it as a valid theme and he does not. Not sure why.

RyoHazuki 08-16-09 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by DeltaSigChi4 (Post 9648114)
Spoiler:
Which guys after that? The guys who brought him at GUNPOINT to the leader, so they could chop off his prawn arm? Do you see what I'm getting at? What you're claiming didn't happen did happen.

E

Spoiler:
He walks to the arms dealer without anyone noticing. Once he gets there, they're looking at his picture in the magazine and they laugh at him. They still aren't alarmed by him though. He asks to buy weapons and they don't really respond. Then he says we both know there are illegal weapons here and that is when he's taken into custody by them. They didn't even know his arm was alien at that point.

Supermallet 08-16-09 03:35 PM

Spoiler:
If you recall, at the time they all thought he was busy fucking prawns. People probably didn't want to rile up a dude so screwy that he'd have sex with an alien and was now supposedly half alien himself.

Sessa17 08-16-09 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9648131)
yet you find it unrealistic that people would act inhumanely towards each other in the film?

Where did I say it was unrealistic that people would act inhumanely toward each other? I never mentioned that once.

The events in Africa were an atrocity beyond comprehension, yet it was people, good people & humanity that lead ultimately to multi-racial democratic elecitions & apartheid reform.

I want to say this again, b/c you guys don't seem to get this. It is only a matter of taste, this is my opinion, not everyone has to see things they way you do. Me, myself, I, do not particularly care for a film, that shows nothing but evil in humans, on every level of the film that is significant, & in every major human character throughout the film. Government is evil in the movie, military are despicable, big business is evil, the average man is portrayed as a schmuck.

And for me, myself, only me, when a movie is attempting to be smart, & different, I actually want something smart & different, not the same evils of corporatism tripe, that has been to death, particularly in this genre. Apparently, for most here, I guess D9 is the first time they have seen this before, they must not have seen, Moon recently, or little movies like Wall-E, or Aliens, or Blade Runner where this theme has been used again & again. And this isn't about whether or not I agree with these heavy handed messages, it's about that it's been done already, I've seen it, I don't need yet another sci-fi hung up on these same trappings. But hey, that's just me, if those cliches weren't in there, then I would be right there with you guys, going nuts over this film.

Daytripper 08-16-09 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9647122)
500 Days had such poor filmmaking and was utterly unfocused.

http://www.pearlevision.com/

You're welcome ;)