DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/554319-district-9-blomkamp-2009-%97-ex-halo-director-fleshes-out-alive-joburg.html)

Rubix 08-15-09 03:19 PM

Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

it always cracks me up when exotic things are given plain human names, like the giant bird in up! is kevin and the alien in district 9 is christopher.

greydt 08-15-09 03:58 PM

Re: District 9 (Blomkamp, 2009) — Ex-Halo director fleshes out "Alive in Joburg"

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9646413)
Yes, there were some inconsistencies (for example, why are there "humans only" signs all over the city when the aliens never leave District 9?) but overall, I liked it.

It was in the beginning of the movie: the aliens were initially allowed in the city, but as they were causing death and mayhem (killing people, train detrailment, etc), protesting from humans eventually forced them to be restricted into District 9 and then the eventual relocation to District 10.

jfoobar 08-15-09 04:01 PM

I just got back from seeing District 9 and will recommend it to others, but not with any real enthusiasm. It is a deeply flawed film and very disappointing in that it failed so conspicuously to achieve the greatness that it should have.

The first two thirds of the film were quite pleasing, although peppered with a number of elements that will not easily survive post-viewing scrutiny. These peccadilloes could be easily forgiven were it not for the direction that the film turns later on. It's not that it tries to turn into an action film (as a previous poster suggested), it's that it tries to turn into a really bad action film. For about 20 minutes, District 9 asks its audience to accept a tremendous amount of insane implausibility.

If only the writers had not chosen to be so lazy. If only they had created characters who overcome tremendous odds with their brains and not a long series of ridiculous and far too convenient contrivances. This is the same sort of nonsense that has ruined so many otherwise passable action films that preceded it. Why District 9's creators chose to take the same route I cannot say.

Overall, the film is buoyed substantially by the sheer originality of its premise. Yes, it definitely borrows elements from other films here and there but it is, on the whole, something audiences will not have seen before. This, is the best reason to go see District 9. However, to call this film a “masterpiece” requires a remarkable ability to overlook some pretty glaring flaws.

Too bad. I really wanted to love this film.

mountain_dew 08-15-09 04:37 PM

There needs to be a poll so I can give it 1 star.

riotinmyskull 08-15-09 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by mountain_dew (Post 9646709)
There needs to be a poll so I can give it 1 star.

this is a forum, please feel free to state why it deserves 1 star.

jfoobar 08-15-09 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 9646790)
this is a forum, please feel free to state why it deserves 1 star.

He did, in the other (possibly unnecessary) thread after presumably rating it 1 star.

Tracer Bullet 08-15-09 06:55 PM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 9646659)
I just got back from seeing District 9 and will recommend it to others, but not with any real enthusiasm. It is a deeply flawed film and very disappointing in that it failed so conspicuously to achieve the greatness that it should have.

The first two thirds of the film were quite pleasing, although peppered with a number of elements that will not easily survive post-viewing scrutiny. These peccadilloes could be easily forgiven were it not for the direction that the film turns later on. It's not that it tries to turn into an action film (as a previous poster suggested), it's that it tries to turn into a really bad action film. For about 20 minutes, District 9 asks its audience to accept a tremendous amount of insane implausibility.

If only the writers had not chosen to be so lazy. If only they had created characters who overcome tremendous odds with their brains and not a long series of ridiculous and far too convenient contrivances. This is the same sort of nonsense that has ruined so many otherwise passable action films that preceded it. Why District 9's creators chose to take the same route I cannot say.

Overall, the film is buoyed substantially by the sheer originality of its premise. Yes, it definitely borrows elements from other films here and there but it is, on the whole, something audiences will not have seen before. This, is the best reason to go see District 9. However, to call this film a “masterpiece” requires a remarkable ability to overlook some pretty glaring flaws.

Too bad. I really wanted to love this film.

:thumbsup:

I agree with pretty much all of this.

Defiant1 08-15-09 06:59 PM

Really liked this movie. The best "true" scifi film I've seen in awhile (I loved Star Trek '09 but it's a space adventure more than scifi). The basic premise of D9 would also make a great video game with you playing Wikus van der Merwe (talk about the most unlikely name for a hero) battling the MNU mercs and the Nigerians. Those alien weapons and the mech suit were awesome!

I also enjoyed seeing a hard "R" action movie, something I also haven't seen in a long time. Lots of gory, bloody violence that got lots of "whoa!" reactions from my audience.

msblue 08-15-09 07:12 PM

Saw it today - I thought it was a very good movie, I've recommended it to friends that I know will like this type of movie. Being a chick, I got a little teary eyed at the end with the wife and metal rose, then the shot of Wilkus (?) making it :(

What also made me sad was the message that the aliens (mainly Christopher) was acting more "human" than the humans..

Wolf359 08-15-09 07:14 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD (Post 9646462)
While not exactly on topic, I do not know how Jackson and DelToro intend to cast The Hobbit. I would like to see Ian Holm and Ian McKellan reprise their roles, but I have heard Holm is out. If McKellan is also out, the movie will be a harder sell to me. While he might seem young compared to the book version, I think Sharlto Copley would make a good Bilbo Baggins. His performance in this movie reminded me of those of Merry and Pippin in LOTR, and he seems like a good fit for the role.

Glad you posted this, because while I was watching this I kept thinking "who does this guy remind me of?" And then later it hit me....all he needed to say was "Second breakfast!". He seemed to be channeling Dominic Monaghan...and don't worry about the "spoilers"...sheesh. :rolleyes:

Sessa17 08-15-09 07:29 PM

I think people are a little insane with calling this a "masterpiece" & going nuts over this movie, but it is certainly solid entertainment. And at the very least, it's refreshing to see an original script, and R-rated sci-fi on the big screen, but even in a dreadful year for film, this is hardly the "best" film of the year, so many people here seem to be saying. 500 Days of Summer, Star Trek, & Thirst were all way way better.

Visually it deserves all of that praise, for 30-mil every second of this film looks 1000 times better than anything in GI Joe which probably cost 6 times as much to make.

This movie is heavy on the borrowing ideas & premises from other films, it has an in your face, beat you over the head with a brick message over & over & over again, which I absolutely cannot stand & is what ultimately hurts this movie. I have no problem with message movies, but they can be subtle & not dumbed down for the audience. Personally, & clearly it doesn't bother anyone else here, I don't like a film that places mankind as evil, & the aliens as basically the good guys. In fact, with the exception of Christopher & his son, there is essentially nobody in this movie to cheer for. Every human in the film is portrayed as being despicable, including the lead.

Also, for a movie that tries to be so smart, there are countless plot holes. For instance, when Wikus
Spoiler:
takes off in the spaceship with Chris's son, the military instantly shoot him down, yet when Christopher takes off later in the spaceship, and very very slowly at that, the military lets him go without a problem. So why shoot him down in the first place?

Another plot hole that drove me nuts was. . .

Humans had pretty much no problem understanding the aliens, & vice versa, which in itself annoyed me. But what really makes no sense in this movie is that in the end
Spoiler:
when the mothership leaves, everyone is crowding in the streets cheering, celebrating them finally leaving. So, if the humans & aliens can clearly communicate with each other, & the humans want the aliens gone, AND the aliens new how to leave & had the capability to do so, they just needed to gather fuel, why didn't the aliens just explain that to the humans, the humans could have helped them gather it, & then that's that.

Wolf359 08-15-09 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 9646985)
Another plot hole that drove me nuts was. . .
Spoiler:

Humans had pretty much no problem understanding the aliens, & vice versa, which in itself annoyed me. But what really makes no sense in this movie is that in the end when the mothership leaves, everyone is crowding in the streets cheering, celebrating them finally leaving. So, if the humans & aliens can clearly communicate with each other, & the humans want the aliens gone, AND the aliens new how to leave & had the capability to do so, they just needed to gather fuel, why didn't the aliens just explain that to the humans, the humans could have helped them gather it, & then that's that.

My theory on that
Spoiler:
I think obviously, the PEOPLE may have wanted the aliens gone, but the MNU/ other governments wanted the alien tech and did everything they could to make sure they couldn't leave.

Wolf359 08-15-09 07:36 PM

And to the people being puzzled at the acclaim for this movie, I personally just think that people are so hungry for good, thought provoking sci-fi instead of constant shit like Terminator Salvation that this seems way better than it is.

I still love it though, and will buy the Blu for sure.

Sessa17 08-15-09 07:36 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359 (Post 9646988)
My theory on that
Spoiler:
I think obviously, the PEOPLE may have wanted the aliens gone, but the MNU/ other governments wanted the alien tech and did everything they could to make sure they couldn't leave.

Yeah, but that is the gaping plot hole of the movie. See my first spoiler?
Spoiler:
If they didn't want the aliens to leave, why did they not shoot Chris's spaceship down then, when it slooooooowly went to the mother ship?

Tygan 08-15-09 07:40 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 9646992)
Yeah, but that is the gaping plot hole of the movie. See my first spoiler?
Spoiler:
If they didn't want the aliens to leave, why did they not shoot Chris's spaceship down then, when it slooooooowly went to the mother ship?

My theory

Spoiler:
they didn't shoot Christopher down because MNU wanted Wikus so badly...he was their missing link to using the alien tech...and now that he existed, they could care less about some random alien hopping in a ship.

jfoobar 08-15-09 07:54 PM

In fact, with the exception of Christopher & his son, there is essentially nobody in this movie to cheer for. Every human in the film is portrayed as being despicable, including the lead.

[nitpick]
I think his wife legitimately avoids the "despicable" label.
[/nitpick]

RyoHazuki 08-15-09 08:00 PM

A few other gripes I had:

Spoiler:
It didn't make sense to me that in one scene they say they are having complaints because of all the prauns that were killed recently. Earlier in the movie they didn't seem to have any problem killing them and later on they are using them as target practice for alien weapons.

Spoiler:
Why did the African's who encountered Wilkus after he escaped not seem to care? They said you couldn't go anywhere without seeing a photo of his face and they acknowledge that they know who he is. Why not try to get some ransom money for him?

Spoiler:
Why, if the alien guns are so valueable, do the rebels leave them on the floor? The fact that Wilkus could just fall to the ground and have his easy escape (alien gun) in reach is just a little too convienent.

Sessa17 08-15-09 08:02 PM

Originally Posted by jfoobar (Post 9647014)
[nitpick]
I think his wife legitimately avoids the "despicable" label.
[/nitpick]

Yeah, I was thinking that when I was typing, but she is an irrelevant character that is barely on screen, only further showing the horrendously negative message of this film, which ultimately is what hurts this film.

Mankind is portrayed as absolute evil. Not just to aliens, but also to themselves. Politicians are evil in this movie, the military is evil, big business is evil. The average man, Wikus is evil. The only good are 2 aliens & a woman on screen for 4 minutes.

DeFan 08-15-09 08:03 PM

Well made, thought provoking film that left me depressed. It was a dismal environment that I was happy to leave after two hours. Great visuals but why do we have to always demonize "the others". (Demonize the otters I could understand:) )

I went to see Ponyo to clear the palette.

Sessa17 08-15-09 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by RyoHazuki (Post 9647023)
A few other gripes I had

Spoiler:
Why, if the alien guns are so valueable, do the rebels leave them on the floor? The fact that Wilkus could just fall to the ground and have his easy escape (alien gun) in reach is just a little too convienent.

This seems like nitpicking just to nitpick.

At the time the Nigerians didn't know that Wikus or any human could use the guns. They literally even say that in the scene. So they had no clue that
Spoiler:
Wikus was able to use the gun

slop101 08-15-09 08:17 PM

500 Days of Summer, Star Trek, & Thirst were all way way better.

:lol: Thanks, I needed that.

Sessa17 08-15-09 08:32 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 9647047)
:lol: Thanks, I needed that.

I don't get it, what's funny?

Dragon Fly 08-15-09 08:37 PM

my thoughts on a possibly sequel plotline.
Spoiler:
MNU finds Wikus' thumb that he lopped off and in three years time when Christopher comes back, they have their own prawn army.
Maybe? Just a thought. Also, I do wonder how/if the prawns got education and whatnot in District 9. I mean they were there for almost 30 years and had no semblance of organization or structure. It's amazing they still knew how to make their weapons.

vhgong 08-15-09 08:41 PM

I wish the damn camera would stay still. Good movie but i hate movies where i get motion sickness from it. :(

slop101 08-15-09 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Sessa17 (Post 9647064)
I don't get it, what's funny?

That those movies are better than D9 - Thirst (which I just saw) is pretty great (though not one of Park's better films), but none of those are even in the same league as D9, and saying that they're "way way better" is utterly laughable.