Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

DC Animated - Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

DC Animated - Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 12:56 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts
Re: DC Animated - Superman/Batman: Public Enemies

Originally Posted by toddly6666
I just got the dvd of Superman/Batman: Public Lovers. A very fair film - nowhere close as good as Green Lantern or the masterpiece Wonder Woman. It's basically a two episode arc from the justice league cartoon - it's only an hour long and the writing and animation seemed lazy. Nothing really bad, but it seemed like DC did this quickly. DC should only have their female director of GL and wonder woman do DC animated films.

The few awesome scenes in the movie are just the fight scene between Superman and Captain Marvel (come on DC, do a kingdom come animated film!) and when Lex Luthor suits up in his green power suit.

I liked how Power Girl was in the film, but she looked and acted like a dimwit - certainly not how she acted in old school Justice Society comics. Big huge tits though!

And i liked how they try and make batman and superman chum it up together as if they were in a paul rudd bromance. It just came off as homeoerotic especially since their just walking around with their tight superhero outfits. Entertaining stuff!

There is nothing really pg 13 about this film. There are tits and a curse word, but if this was an animated film from the 1980s, this film would be rated G or PG.
sounds like maybe a rental then. didn't love GL or any other of these features except the aforementioned incredible Wonder Woman. it is too bad they can't do more with these stories and show us something really stellar with these beloved characters.
Old 09-17-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,366 Likes on 928 Posts

public lovers?
Old 09-17-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

D.C. should only stick with Lauren Montgomery - the Katherine Bigelow of animated films!

Last edited by toddly6666; 09-17-09 at 04:26 PM.
Old 09-17-09, 04:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

"Lazy" pretty much sums up Jeph Loeb's writing for the last few years, so maybe they were trying to capture that.
Old 09-17-09, 04:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
"Lazy" pretty much sums up Jeph Loeb's writing for the last few years, so maybe they were trying to capture that.
it's a quick read, right? Maybe i'll just read it in the book store. I'm curious to see how well it adapted the book. If the book is lazy, then maybe the movie is a pretty good adaptation...
Old 09-17-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

I imagine you could read it pretty quickly at a Borders type place. Maybe half an hour/45 minutes.
Old 09-18-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by majorjoe23
I imagine you could read it pretty quickly at a Borders type place. Maybe half an hour/45 minutes.
I flipped through the book yesterday - the movie does seem like a pretty good adaptation of a lazy book. It's a better adaptation than the movie adaptation of Superman Doomsday (which is still a better movie than Public Enemies).
Old 09-18-09, 12:50 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 626 Likes on 482 Posts

Ouch, really? I found Superman Doomsday to be a total letdown. I didn't mind that they took the story in a different direction (it would have been impossible to include all the plotlines of that comic series) but Doomsday came across as a non-issue and the only interesting element was Lex Luthor.
Old 09-18-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Ouch, really? I found Superman Doomsday to be a total letdown. I didn't mind that they took the story in a different direction (it would have been impossible to include all the plotlines of that comic series) but Doomsday came across as a non-issue and the only interesting element was Lex Luthor.
well, both films are pretty closely fair flicks. After watching Public Enemies, I certainly appreciate Green Lantern more now...

Any chance of D.C. adapting animated features of Justice or Kingdome Come?
Old 09-21-09, 06:11 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

GL was light years better than this. A completely uninspired effort. From the cheesy dialogue and bad jokes, to the cheap looking animation. Total waste of the voice talent they had at their disposal.
Old 09-23-09, 01:56 PM

That's not good. I wasn't a fan of the Green Lantern one.
Old 09-23-09, 02:05 PM
DVD Talk God

Originally Posted by RocShemp
yep. superman:doomsday was the worst one of all the DC animated property.
Old 09-23-09, 02:49 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Deftones
yep. superman:doomsday was the worst one of all the DC animated property.
Actually, Superman:Brainiac Attacks is worse. Both of them really suck big time.
Old 09-23-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Eventhough the Public Enemies film was just sort of fair, the best line of dialogue is in this film out of all the D.C. animated movies/cartoons:

Spoiler:
Billy telling Superman, "shazam." That was a pretty sweet scene
Old 09-29-09, 01:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Adam Tyner
I have to admit to feeling kinda let down by this one. :-/

http://www.dvdtalk.com/reviews/38485...ublic-enemies/
My feelings are very similar to Adam's review. I haven't read the any of the Superman/Batman comics and actually, now I'm less interested about getting them (even though I'm a huge DC/Batman/Superman fan)if they are any close to the story of this film.

Spoiler:
The main problem to me is the story. It's to flawed. I can see Luthor becoming president, similar to what happened in JLU, but why would the superhero community side with Luthor over Superman is what boggles my mind. Superman is the only superhero besides Captain America that all heroes respect, admire and look up to as their leader, no matter what, so it is mind boggling as to why any of them will side against him by unproven, uncorroborated evidence, given by Lex fucking Luthor of all people. Yes, he is the president of the US, but is not the first time that the country has been fucked in the ass and lied by any of them, while Superman on the other hand, has been the poster boy for loyalty, honesty and truth.

I thought at first that this was one of those Elseworld tales, but after searching on Google I found out that it takes in the current Earth 1 continuity. Now, I completely understand the hate for Jeph Loeb, since you have to be a real idiot to believe all these crap. I also understand even more the incredible decline in comics, since what Loeb wrote here goes against all the established history and canon of the DC Universe and turns old comic book fans away from the industry with all these contradicting and conflicting storylines.

The only other weak point I found of the film is the it felt crammed (like most comic book bases animated features) and that the art made Superman look like a teenager. The good part about the film are the spot on voices. They resemble the characters they portray and aren't distracting to the story.

As for the extras, they are very insightful and entertaining and the spotlight on Kevin Conroy makes me wonder why the hell he is used on every other animated film, instead of him just being the voice of Batman in everything animated and on video games. I wouldn't even mind if someone did a cut of the Dark Knight putting Conroy's voice over the godawful parts that Bale talks like Batman with the raspy voice.

In the end, although I have liked some of these animated films, I still believe that they would benefit either by extending the running time to 2 hours each or by just doing all these storylines in a TV animated series. This goes for both Marvel and DC.
Old 09-29-09, 04:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

Is there any place I can find a discussion of the Wonder Woman film? I rented it through Netflix expecting a WB Family film that would be a good way to kill time. What I got was a first rate animated movie that actually felt like a movie and lived up to the PG-13 rating it had (I think that next to Heavy Metal and some Anime, this might be the most violent cartoon I have ever seen. ).
Old 09-29-09, 05:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Is there any place I can find a discussion of the Wonder Woman film? I rented it through Netflix expecting a WB Family film that would be a good way to kill time. What I got was a first rate animated movie that actually felt like a movie and lived up to the PG-13 rating it had (I think that next to Heavy Metal and some Anime, this might be the most violent cartoon I have ever seen. ).
http://forum.dvdtalk.com/hd-talk/543...s-blu-ray.html

http://forum.dvdtalk.com/dvd-talk/53...d-trailer.html
Old 09-29-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The story was weak to begin with. And they really tried to stretch it out with their endless fight scenes. Keep in mind this came from a comic you could read in a matter of minutes.
Old 09-29-09, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk God

I liked it. Probably not as good as Green Lantern, but amongst the best that DC has put out.
Old 09-29-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

So is D.C. saving their better titles for later? In other words, adapt crappy D.C. graphic novels into animated movies and do the better graphic novels later?
Old 09-30-09, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Location: City of the lakers.. riots.. and drug dealing cops.. los(t) Angel(e)s. ca.

To be fair, this is one of their better selling trades. Jeph Loeb may be a terrible writer and his stories lack anything coherent, but people lap it up like a cat next to a milk bowl.
Old 09-30-09, 10:53 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I didn't find Public Enemies to be a crappy read, I found it entertaining and like Jeph Loeb's stuff a lot. Given this, should I get the DVD of Public Enemies?
Old 09-30-09, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Read the Comic and enjoyed it.

Rented and watched the Movie, enjoyed it - like watching the comic come to life. That said, I did enjoy the comic more than the movie.

Loved the fights, lots of good/bad guys mixing it up with the most super heroes of all time. Batman should have been broken many times, but it is fiction. Superman's was shot with the deadly green stuff and he should have been on the ground, not able to get up, but it is fiction.

Great rental, just an OK buy.

I do own most of the DC Animated movies, but I think I will pass on this one. Wonder Woman is one of my favs, I rented it and LOVED it, just have not gotten around to buy it.
Old 09-30-09, 05:13 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Jackskeleton
To be fair, this is one of their better selling trades. Jeph Loeb may be a terrible writer and his stories lack anything coherent, but people lap it up like a cat next to a milk bowl.
Why?!? I haven't seen such mediocre writing being so hyped since Rob Liefeld. I truly don't get any comic book fan with common sense approving of the incoherence in this series.
Old 09-30-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I just watched the Blu-Ray and found it quite enjoyable. My only gripe was that it was not a bit longer with some more character development, but the hour it had was full of action, and it was entertaining as hell. I honestly don't see all of the hate for it, or Jeph Loeb, and while we're on the subject of comic writers, Chris Claremont.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.