Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Predators (Antal, 07/09/10)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Predators (Antal, 07/09/10)

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-09, 11:51 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
re: Predators (Antal, 07/09/10)

I wouldn't mind seeing more of the The Predators homeworld...I mean...I like to think of them as the Spartans of space. Kicking ass at all turns and what not. Man...I love Predator 1. *watching it*
Old 04-24-09, 10:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This sounds badass, from Dark Horizons:

Rodriguez has also scripted "Predators," a film that will bring back the dreadlock-sporting alien hunter first seen in the acclaimed 1987 Arnold Schwarzenegger hit "Predator".

The creature returned in a weak sequel and two critically slammed "Alien vs. Predator" team-up films that nevertheless proved profitable. Bloody Disgusting first broke the news on that film a while back.

First thing the title made me think of: Aliens.
Old 04-24-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 218 Likes on 156 Posts

Cool, but the first thing I thought of was getting a good remastered release of Predator on Blu-Ray when this comes out.
Old 04-24-09, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I'm right there with you. I'm holding out because I know it's coming eventually...
Old 04-24-09, 11:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ok a little off topic here but.........I liked P1 except for the ending(was a little over the top) anyway. Fry's has this on BD for $11.99,which is not a bad price.
I want to know if anyone has watched this on BD? IMO the SD DVD version was the worse transfer of a movie I have ever seen and I mean literally. The video was terrible and the audio was just horrible! Is the BD version of this the same way?
Old 04-24-09, 02:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Tentative release date of July 7, 2010

20th Century Fox has already set a July 7, 2010 release date for Robert Rodriguez's Predators, which the studio promises to be "a bold new chapter in the Predator universe."

Rodriguez officially announced the project just yesterday, calling the project "a reboot of the 'Predator' series." Rodriguez previously wrote a Predator 3 that was then discarded because it was "too big."

As far as competition, Paramount has The Last Airbender scheduled for a July 2, 2010 release and Universal Pictures is eyeing July 9, 2010 for Despicable Me.
Old 04-24-09, 07:35 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 430 Likes on 311 Posts

Hope they don't make it PG-13, but its being produced by Fox so they probably will.
Old 04-24-09, 08:23 PM
Banned

^Oh yeah. Mark my words this will be PG-13 and under 2 hours. We all know how Fox is.
I just hope they dont reboot the Alien franchise like this as well.
But they've already managed to ass-rape both series in AVP so I guess it doesn't really matter anymore.
Old 04-24-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by chris_sc77
^Oh yeah. Mark my words this will be PG-13 and under 2 hours. We all know how Fox is.

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Rodriguez has also scripted "Predators," a film that will bring back the dreadlock-sporting alien hunter first seen in the acclaimed 1987 Arnold Schwarzenegger hit "Predator".
By this, do they mean it's the same predator from the first movie?
Old 04-25-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 430 Likes on 311 Posts

If they fucked up Die Hard, they will find a way to ruin Predator.
Old 04-25-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

They already did, see AvP.
Old 04-26-09, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
IMO the SD DVD version was the worse transfer of a movie I have ever seen and I mean literally. The video was terrible and the audio was just horrible!
The original DVD release was horrible (and non-anamorphic to boot), but I think the most recent DVD release from a few years ago (the 2-disc special Collector's Edition) was a fairly good anamorphic transfer. And one thing about the Blu-ray version - although it's picture quality is better due to being Hi-Def, it has virtually no extras at all included with it (a real mystery given how many extras are in the 2-disc DVD CE version that could've been just ported over as-is).
Old 04-26-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80

By this, do they mean it's the same predator from the first movie?
that's poorly written. i think it's just saying it's a predator, not specifically the same one from the original movie.
Old 04-26-09, 04:51 PM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

No, definitely not specifically the same one from the original movie.
Old 04-26-09, 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by dhmac
The original DVD release was horrible (and non-anamorphic to boot), but I think the most recent DVD release from a few years ago (the 2-disc special Collector's Edition) was a fairly good anamorphic transfer. And one thing about the Blu-ray version - although it's picture quality is better due to being Hi-Def, it has virtually no extras at all included with it (a real mystery given how many extras are in the 2-disc DVD CE version that could've been just ported over as-is).
Well I can live without the extra,I'm just wanting to know how the video/audio transfer of the BD version is compared to the SD version?
If the BD version is as bad as the SD version,then I will just take it back.
Old 04-26-09, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by SUPERMANROB
Well I can live without the extra,I'm just wanting to know how the video/audio transfer of the BD version is compared to the SD version?
If the BD version is as bad as the SD version,then I will just take it back.
http://www.dvdbeaver.com/film2/DVDRe...or_blu-ray.htm
Old 04-27-09, 09:26 AM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
Thanks for the link riotinmyskull. I think I am gonna gamble and open up this BD version and see how the transfer looks like on this movie. I will let you know my opinion,if anyone cares
Old 04-27-09, 04:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/40879

Anyway, here are the questions sent forth by our own Grande Rojo and the answers from Robert Rodriguez! Enjoy!

1. Quite some time ago you created a treatment called PREDATORS, which was about Arnold's characters being shipped to the Predator home world where they were put into an alien menagerie.

Now that you're producing a PREDATOR movie, is there any hope that it'll be called PREDATORS and be based upon your original treatment? And if not, what direction are you taking this and does it have a title?

Robert Rodriguez: Way back before I did Desperado, I had taken a writing assignment for a sequel to Predator.

With a nod toward Cameron's ALIENS I decided to call it PREDATORS. I set it on a jungle-like Predator planet. It was just a writing assignment, so I didn't have to worry about budget constraints or how the movie would actually get made with the technology that existed back then, so I just wrote any cool thing I could come up with.

Fast forward 15 years to when I got a call from Alex Young over at Fox, who had been digging around and found my original treatment. He was eager to get it made and re-invent the Predator franchise using the treatment as a guide. So he contacted me to see if I'd be interested in being involved, and it seemed like the perfect project for us over at Troublemaker Studios.

I've built up an amazing team over the years at Troublemaker, and they're all huge PREDATOR fans. (I know this because Predator model kits litter our offices and workstations.) So the next stage is finding a writer and director to come in and work with us to bring it to life. Whether or not it will ultimately be based on the treatment or not is still unknown at this time.

2. The original John McTiernan PREDATOR is a brilliant action/ science fiction film. What is it that you're hoping to bring to fans of that film that will revive the franchise?
RR: PREDATOR is a masterpiece of the action/science fiction genre. Its been borrowed from so much in other movies and even video games (that will now probably be turned into movies themselves) that I liked the idea that we could have PREDATORS made relatively quickly. What I'd like to do with it is expand on ideas I dreamt up back in the original treatment, that had really expanded on the universe both the Predators and other species live in. We'd create new otherworldly characters while not taking away from the draw our main Predator has. I think another reason I called it Predators was to mark it as a project that should be taken seriously by a filmmaker to make a worthy follow up to a classic, much in the way Cameron made Aliens a compelling work on its own, following Ridley Scott's Alien.

Alex is passionate about re-inventing the series to a new and exciting level, and as a fan myself I'm all for it.

3. Will you work to get the Governor involved somehow in your new PREDATOR production?
RR: This is still the early stages, so we haven't approached him about taking part. As things develop further, we'll keep you posted, because this is obviously a fan favorite.
4. Are you going to make this a badass R-rated Predator movie?
RR: We haven't discussed rating yet, but my treatment was very “R.”
5. What is coming up next for you as director and is there any chance that you'd take the reins on PREDATORS?
RR: The idea is that I'd produce PREDATORS here at Troublemaker Studios, so that I can feel free to walk to the PREDATORS soundstage, pick up a camera and co-shoot the coolest scenes.

Directing wise, next up will be NERVERACKER for the Weinstein Company.
Old 04-28-09, 03:28 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm interested, but this better be "R".

None of this "well...TDK was PG-13" garbage

rated R

Skinned bodies and blood, like the original movies.
Old 04-28-09, 12:33 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Where's Sin City 2?!?!

on topic: R and a not fucking over fucking the franchise would be nice.
Old 06-22-09, 05:30 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 946 Likes on 792 Posts

looks like Neil Marshall of "The Descent" fame is set to direct. Could be good if it as gritty as TD or "Dog Soldiers", not so much if like "Doomsday".

http://coronacomingattractions.com/n...sday-predators

With 20th Century Fox wanting to have Predators in theaters by next summer there isn't much time to assemble the picture's cinematic strike team. We already know that Robert Rodriguez is producing and his script outline is being used as the foundation for the story, and the rumors that Schwarzenegger is going to be doing a cameo are false. Now comes word from a reliable site as to whom is very close to signing on as director for Predators.

That site is Bloody Disgusting and their source claims that director Neil Marshall (Dog Soldiers, The Descent, Doomsday) is "close to signing" that Fox contract. Marshall is in post-production on Centurion, his early A.D. actioner starring Quantum of Solace's Olga Kurylenko.

Predators has been slotted for a July 9, 2010 opening.
Old 06-22-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

Meh. I thought The Descent was ok, but Doomsday was a piece of crap.
Old 06-22-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Fuck. Yes.

Marshall is a modern-day John Carpenter, even if Doomsday was a little uneven you can't deny it was certainly fun. The Descent was my favorite horror film of its year. This is a great project for him to really show off his chops, and we all know the guy loves to bathe the screen in crimson, so that R-rating is safe.

I am officially very stoked.
Old 06-22-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
looks like Neil Marshall of "The Descent" fame is set to direct.
Both the article you linked and the original B-D article are 10 days old. Within those 10 days, AICN ran a piece suggesting that Marshall was only one of about 7 very cool (otherwise unidentified) directors in the running for the project, so it's not final yet.
Old 06-22-09, 06:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Sam Worthington would be a good choice to play an Arnold type role, but he's filming Clash of the Titans right now. Even then, not sure he would be considered.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.