Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Informant! (Soderbergh, 2009): dark comic thriller with Matt Damon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Informant! (Soderbergh, 2009): dark comic thriller with Matt Damon

Search this Thread

Old 09-12-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 625 Likes on 482 Posts
Re: The Informant! (Soderbergh, 2009): dark comic thriller with Matt Damon

This looks great. If it is, I hope one of those onesheets becomes the BD coverart.
Old 09-14-09, 04:53 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Seven clips - will start playing automatically
Old 09-14-09, 05:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 204 Likes on 158 Posts

The TV spots make this look hilarious. Not uproariously funny, but more low-keyed.
Old 09-15-09, 01:08 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This movie looks like a tv episode.
Old 09-18-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it this morning at a surprisingly packed matinee.

Loved every minute of it. Soderbergh did an amazing job setting the tone as more of a schizophrenic comedy and I think casting comedians (McHale, Andrew Daly, Tony Hale, Patton Oswalt, Paul F. Tompkins, and the Smothers Brothers amongst many others) in roles that would've gone towards more serious actors was a step in the right foot to help achieve that tone.

The praise for Damon is spot-on and I would love to see him get an Academy Award nomination for this.
Old 09-18-09, 10:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Saw it today, great film, easily in my Top 3 for this year. The big problem is the marketing, which bills it as a smart, but zany comedy. The comedy is incredibly dry, save for a few "trailer" moments. I noticed more than one person in the theater near me had dozed off over the course of the movie, likely because it wasn't what they (I also was shocked at how dry the humor was) expected.
Old 09-18-09, 10:52 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

This movie ultimately feels more sad than funny, as Soderbergh seems to downplay everything. Still, it's very well done and I loved catching all the people he got to fill the bit parts.
Old 09-18-09, 11:20 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Look's like the real Whitacre's mustache was 10x more hilarious than Damon's.

I really curious now as to what was embellished for the movie, because the overall facts of the real case sound pretty spot on with the movie.
Old 09-18-09, 11:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stephen Soderbergh is back with "The Informant!", starring Matt Damon as Mark Whitacre, a higher-up executive/biochemist at ADM, who becomes an informant for the FBI as they build a case of price-fixing against ADM (Archer Daniels Midland).

The film is filled with Whitacre's inner thoughts throughout his adventures as an informant, most are hilarious, and some are head-scratching. The pace is breezy enough, though I have to admit to losing interest in the film by the last act as the story takes many twists and turns.

Matt Damon turns in a terrific performance, totally inhabiting the character of Whitacre, and buoyed by a good, solid supporting case, including Scott Bakula, Joel McHale. Soderbergh displays his usual level of director acumen, but the script (or real-life events) doesn't quite spin a truly engaging tale.

I'm not sure if I recall the look and feel of the 1990's as it was depicted in the film, seemed too retro to me, down to the font used in the lettering at certain spots in the film to denote locations and time/date. Plus, lots of blown out lighting in many scenes gave off an earlier timeframe to me (more like the 1970s/1980s). But since Soderbergh also lit the scenes, the film is how he wanted it to look.

I give it 2.75 stars, or a grade of B-.
Old 09-18-09, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

After seeing it, I am shocked that ADM allowed their name to be used in this movie.
Old 09-19-09, 12:06 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert
After seeing it, I am shocked that ADM allowed their name to be used in this movie.
True. They should have renamed the company in the film to "DAM".
Old 09-19-09, 02:47 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Just got back from seeing it.

Worst Movie I Have Ever Seen In The Theater.
Old 09-19-09, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Look's like the real Whitacre's mustache was 10x more hilarious than Damon's.

Pretty much looks like a mustache to me. Not sure what you find hilarious about it.
Old 09-19-09, 08:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by dan30oly
Just got back from seeing it.

Worst Movie I Have Ever Seen In The Theater.
Care to elaborate? What kind of movies do you like? Just making a broad statement doesn't help people who need specific reasons as to why they should or should not see the movie.
Old 09-19-09, 08:23 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

saw it last night but it didn't do that much for me. I thought Matt Damon was great but tht's about it. Hte lighting was akward at like someone else posted, it felt like it was more the late 70s or 80s than 1992-95. I love dark homor and dry comedy but this one just didn't deliver for me. it just fell flat. I'm also with Patman on sentiments and scoring.
Old 09-19-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I thought this movie was great, had a lot of funny moments and a lot of great performances all around. If people were going expecting a straight up comedy, which I admit could be expected with the TV ads, then you are going to be let down. There is a fair amount of corporate intrigue mixed in with Damon's work with the FBI. I thought the twists and turns in the last act were very interesting and kept my interest in a story that felt like it had finished.
Old 09-19-09, 12:40 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My issue was
Spoiler:
the "twists and turns" weren't really twists or turns. Once you knew that Whitacre was a habitual liar, it didn't matter what he said. Although the escalating amounts of stolen money was hilarious.
Old 09-19-09, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Saw it. I thought it was a pleasant comedy. Not an award winner or anything, though I think Damon deserves a nod. Movie kept me laughing and reminded me a lot of Adaptation in terms of all the narration. If you like low-key humor, check it out.
Old 09-19-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Really liked this one - I found the whole thing to be pretty damn funny (in that low-key humour sort of way) and thought the script was really sharp. Loved Damon's voice over stuff and the performances were great. Not a huge fan of Soderbergh's 'soft' and 'orange' look to the film, but the content more than made up for that. Well worth seeing. 4/5
Old 09-19-09, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by Dr. DVD
Care to elaborate? What kind of movies do you like? Just making a broad statement doesn't help people who need specific reasons as to why they should or should not see the movie.
It was just a bad movie. The look and feel was all wrong. The score was just plain odd. I suppose Damon did a good job with what he was given, but the script was horribly written. However, the character of Whitacre came off as absolutely annoying with no charm at all (which is probably what he was like in reality, but for a movie you must have a likable character and he wasn't in the slightest.).

Two of my friends fell asleep halfway through the movie, the rest of us were jealous we weren't asleep. The whole experience can be summed up best when at one point of of them woke up and said "This shits still going on???"
Old 09-19-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Matt Damon was great and the beginning was great but fell apart at the end for me for the exact same reason Suprmallet posted in his spoiler... I also agree that it seemed more like it was set in an earlier time than the 90's but that didnt bother me all that much.
Old 09-19-09, 06:58 PM

Originally Posted by FantasticVSDoom
Matt Damon was great and the beginning was great but fell apart at the end for me for the exact same reason Suprmallet posted in his spoiler... I also agree that it seemed more like it was set in an earlier time than the 90's but that didnt bother me all that much.
The "look" of the movie seeming to be earlier in time that the 90's is one thing I can maybe forgive them for. Remember, the movie took place in IOWA I was just out there a month ago and it seemed like going back in time about 10 years (in regards to clothing styles).
Old 09-19-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Saw this and was pretty disappointed.

I thought Damon was great, but the story and direction did very little for me. The movie felt LONG.
Old 09-20-09, 12:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I got pretty bored watching this, it's sort of funny when I think about the story, but it just dragged while watching it.
Old 09-20-09, 09:32 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by dan30oly
The "look" of the movie seeming to be earlier in time that the 90's is one thing I can maybe forgive them for. Remember, the movie took place in IOWA I was just out there a month ago and it seemed like going back in time about 10 years (in regards to clothing styles).
Pretty sure it took place in Illinois. But yeah, when you're not in the Chicago area, it might as well be something like Iowa.

Another minor thing - those of you from IL can chime in. I do not believe we had the blue and white plates with red lettering yet in 1992, yet these were on the cars. Not sure if they went out of their way to be accurate on other details, but this was something I noticed right away.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.