Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Informant! (Soderbergh, 2009): dark comic thriller with Matt Damon

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Informant! (Soderbergh, 2009): dark comic thriller with Matt Damon

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-09, 03:17 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,312 Likes on 934 Posts
Re: The Informant! (Soderbergh, 2009): dark comic thriller with Matt Damon

I see. I thought I read that it was comparable in style for some reason. Oh well, I'll still see it (eventually).
Old 09-25-09, 12:14 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Saw it tonight for my birthday, hilarious stuff. It's staged like The Conversation or Michael Clayton and executed like the special-ed version of those movies, and Damon's performance, holy shit he killed in this movie. Every off-topic voiceover, lie, and/or stupid thing he did was priceless. Scott Bakula needs more work, guy had brilliant timing in this. Extra credit to getting Buster Bluth, Biff Tannen, and the Kurgan for supporting roles. And Patton Oswalt.

Spoiler:
The adoption "story"

I knew I'd like this movie from the opening credits, and as soon as I saw that screamingly awful early 90's family photo.
Old 09-25-09, 09:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by SomethingMore
I see. I thought I read that it was comparable in style for some reason. Oh well, I'll still see it (eventually).
In a way, it sort of is. The Informant! has some low-grade schizophrenia running through its stylistic choices, combining 60s title fonts, 70s colors, 00s digital photography, 80s costuming, and 50s music.... all for a movie set in the 90s. But it plays much, much safer than Schizopolis for everything else.
Old 09-25-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this Wednesday and thought it was okay at best. Amusing at times and kept some of my interest. I am starting to feel like I should wait for movies to come out on DVD since I just haven't seen anything in the theater that I have loved lately.
Old 09-25-09, 02:00 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 69 Likes on 59 Posts

For those of you that read the book, were the narrations about the polar bears covering their nose and the butterfly mimics in the book? Were there other biology-based monologues? I'd love to pull excerpts out and use them on exams (I teach college biology).
Old 10-07-09, 08:48 AM

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Saw this last night and it was fantastic...a lot like the book. Damon is the best part of this (and the strange irony is how accurate he is to the character), but it was entertaining for me.

For those interested, check out the show "The Fix Is In" from This American Life:

http://thislife.org/Radio_Episode.aspx?sched=1317
Old 01-26-10, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just watched the Blu.

How fucking great is this movie?

Man I loved it.

Soderbergh and Damon and the rest of the cast knock it out of the park. The whole thing just comes together so well. The way the 'wacky' music was played, the OT narration by Damon, I loved it.

What a cast... Clancy Brown, the 'Soup' guy, Bakula, Biff, the 'flapjacks!' guy, etc, man it was great.
Old 01-29-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,100 Likes on 872 Posts

This movie is hilarious. They nail the "Semi-smart dude with horrible ADD and no common sense" aspect, the music, the inner monologues, everything. Great stuff.

Last edited by RichC2; 01-29-10 at 10:21 PM.
Old 03-11-10, 08:50 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Saw this last night. I thought Damon was great. But I couldn't help wonder how the movie would have played with William H. Macy in the main role. Seems like a character that would be written for him.
Old 05-25-10, 08:02 AM

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

I finally caught this last night, and really enjoyed it. Didn't think it was a masterpiece by any means, but it was good. I loved the random voiceover thoughts. My favorite one was about the polar bears.

"When polar bears hunt, they crouch down by a hole in the ice and wait for a seal to pop up. They keep one paw over their nose so that they blend in, because they've got those black noses. They'd blend in perfectly if not for the nose. So the question is, how do they know their noses are black? From looking at other polar bears? Do they see their reflections in the water and think, "I'd be invisible if not for that." That seems like a lot of thinking for a bear."

Truly laughed out loud at that one, for some reason.