Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Crow (2024, D: Sanders) -- S: Bill Skarsgard

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Crow (2024, D: Sanders) -- S: Bill Skarsgard

Search this Thread

Old 02-17-10, 05:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts
re: The Crow (2024, D: Sanders) -- S: Bill Skarsgard

Originally Posted by cartman
I'm getting tired of studios calling remakes "reboots" or "reinventions" just to make it sound nicer.
To be fair the last two films of the series were straight to DVD so if this new one has full studio backing and is a theatrical release, then it's definitely worthy of a 'reboot' moniker.
Old 06-01-10, 09:52 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

EXCLUSIVE: 'The Crow' Reboot Set In Southwest & Urban Locations, Offer Out To 'Major Actor'

Posted 1 hr ago by Josh Wigler in News

The CrowWith director Stephen Norrington's reboot of "The Crow" reported to begin shooting soon, it's about time we heard some details from someone involved with the project, isn't it? Look no further, "Crow" fans — Edward Pressman, who produced the previous "Crow" installments, offered up plenty of new information on the developing film in an interview with MTV Movies Blog editor Adam Rosenberg.

According to Pressman, Norrington's screenplay is finished and, apparently, "terrific." After collaborating on some illustrations with "Avatar" production designer Rob Stromberg — illustrations that are "quite different from Alex Proyas' approach with the original 'Crow,'" Pressman said — Norrington's vision is inching much closer to reality, with casting announcements on the way and filming beginning this year.

"[We've got an offer out] to a major actor and things are moving ahead very aggressively, with the aim of doing the film this year," Pressman told MTV News.

Pressman revealed that the film's setting will diverge from the original vision of "The Crow," although it will still draw from the gritty city elements of the Brandon Lee-starring film.

"The setting is the southwest — the Mexico/Arizona area — and an urban [setting], Detroit or Pittsburgh or something like that," he described. "There are two locations that the film is set. Its initial platform is in the southwest and then it moves to the big city in the north, middle or eastern America, and then back."

That sandwich of settings is part of what distinguishes this "Crow" from previous visions, as is Norrington's treatment of the "Crow" mythology. "The Crow itself is a creature in this movie — it's not just a bird," said the producer. "It's got a personality and a character. Not like Godzilla exactly, but it's very different [and has] a more active role in the story."

If nothing else, Norrington's vision of "The Crow" is different from what fans are used to.

"Obviously it's a different time and a different idea, but I think Stephen is a very talented fellow and I'm very excited to work with him," said Pressman. "I think it's a very different conception [than the original film]. After the first 'Crow,' there were so many other films that were inspired by it, by its look. Steve is an artist himself, and he's created a very different visual idea."
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/06/01...ontent=Twitter
Old 06-02-10, 03:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

so long as we get a blu-ray release of the original...
Old 06-02-10, 05:22 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Well, at least its just another crappy sequel rather than a useless remake.

Who wants to bet the main reason this is being made is so they can cash in on the 3D thing?

Last edited by Panda Phil; 06-02-10 at 05:25 PM.
Old 06-02-10, 06:26 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
I agree. Hollywood, for fuck sake, STOP with the remakes and reboots!
We need to stop going to go see them!
It's like THE TONITE SHOW to use as an example.
They got rid of Jay and brought in Conan the people stopped watching.
They brought Jay back and people started watching.
We have the say so. We have the money. They want our money.
Old 06-02-10, 06:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Bad example, Jay's been either matching or doing worse than Conan for a while now.
Old 06-02-10, 08:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as Groucho AND Bandoman/Death Moans, Iowa
Received 372 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by Drop
Bad example, Jay's been either matching or doing worse than Conan for a while now.
I'm not sure facts and logic are your best weapon here.
Old 06-02-10, 08:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^ true.
Old 07-27-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

This just got more interesting...

Nick Cave apparently doing rewrites on The Crow reboot script.

Originally Posted by The A.V. Club

Nick Cave brought in to awesome up The Crow reboot

According to The Wrap, The Crow reboot we first regarded with a wary, grease-painted eye back in June has just brought in murder balladeer Nick Cave for script rewrites—which automatically makes the project much more difficult to dismiss. Cave previously proved he has what it takes to craft a noirish Western with his work on John Hillcoat’s The Proposition, and given that the next Crow is said to take place in the “Mexico/Arizona area” as well as within its usual urban setting, it’s easy to assume that it was his work there that landed Cave the job. You know, besides the fact that every project, film or otherwise, would be improved by the addition of Nick Cave, even if he's just sort of hanging out in the background.

Since making his screenwriting debut on Hillcoat’s Ghosts…Of The Civil Dead in 1988, Cave has been a “screenwriter to watch,” according to Variety, and has racked up projects ranging from an adaptation of Matt Bondurant’s bootlegging story The Wettest County In The World to a motion-capture version of The Threepenny Opera with Andy Serkis to a rejected Gladiator sequel. Enlisting his help suggests that director Stephen Norrington’s “terrific” screenplay isn’t quite as “terrific” as producer Edward Pressman originally made it sound, but hopefully Cave will find a way to make the franchise feel fresh again (even if does feature a bird that’s “not like Godzilla, exactly”).
LINK
Old 07-27-10, 11:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

Hmm. I really loved The Proposition. Depending on how much he's rewriting (as opposed to a simple polish), this might be very good news indeed.
Old 07-28-10, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Nick Cave apparently doing rewrites on The Crow reboot script.
Awe, man, that sounds excellent.

Nick's chiseled features cut through me when I glance his way.

Can we expect a Cave/Ellis score?
Old 07-28-10, 09:24 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment...riens-tonight/

Just keeping it fair and balanced. I know you like it like that.
Old 07-28-10, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by troystiffler
Can we expect a Cave/Ellis score?
It certainly would be nice.
Old 04-08-11, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,023 Likes on 813 Posts

Juan Carlos Fresnadillo (28 Weeks Later, Intacto) is now on tap to direct this reboot, if it's JCF + Nick Cave, my interest is definitely peaked. Worlds beter than Norrington - as at the very least, it'll be visually arresting.

http://www.deadline.com/2011/04/juan...row-fly-again/

28 Weeks Later helmer Juan Carlos Fresnadillo will direct a reinvention of The Crow, the 1994 adaptation of the comic book series by James O'Barr. Relativity Media is making the movie with producer Edward R. Pressman. Brandon Lee, son of the martial arts great Bruce Lee, starred in the original. The film is expected to start production in the fall. Fresnadillo also directed the Spanish-language film Intacto. He's in post on the Clive Owen starrer Intruders. Pic's produced by Pressman, Jeff Most, Relativity’s CEO Ryan Kavanaugh, Apaches’ Enrique López Lavigne and Belén Atienza. Relativity’s Tucker Tooley will be executive producer.
Old 04-08-11, 08:02 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

i'm okay with this.
Old 04-08-11, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Good luck to him
Old 04-08-11, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull
so long as we get a blu-ray release of the original...
This is still a valid point.
Old 04-08-11, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
This is still a valid point.
It's been available in both Region A and B for quite some time if you can't wait for a US release.
Old 04-08-11, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

Originally Posted by mrhan
It's been available in both Region A and B for quite some time if you can't wait for a US release.
I feel like the last time I looked into that the disc wasn't worth it quality-wise. I just can't believe with some of the crap that is on Blu-ray (including the shitty sequel) that this isn't out yet.
Old 04-08-11, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Draven
I feel like the last time I looked into that the disc wasn't worth it quality-wise. I just can't believe with some of the crap that is on Blu-ray (including the shitty sequel) that this isn't out yet.
It seems like people like the quality but the price is outrageous on the Jpn version.

http://www.blu-ray.com/movies/The-Cr...9/#UserReviews
Old 04-12-11, 06:36 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

Bradley Cooper in Talks to Star in 'The Crow' Remake (Exclusive)
The actor is in early negotiations to star in the Relativity film, being directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo.

Bradley Cooper is in early negotiations to star in Relativity’s remake of The Crow, being directed by Juan Carlos Fresnadillo.

In the adaptation of the gritty black-and-white indie comic by artist James O'Barr, Cooper will play a rock musician who is murdered while trying to save his fiancée from thugs. He is resurrected by supernatural forces and seeks revenge. The role was originally played by Brandon Lee, who was killed by a freak accident during production in 1993.

Relativity is flying fast with Crow, with Fresnadillo only officially boarding the project a week ago. The Spanish director of 28 Weeks Later is said to have met with Cooper in Spain recently, where the two hit it off and shared a vision for the character and the film. Relativity would not confirm the talks but sources say Cooper, currently in theaters in Relativity’s hit thriller Limitless, is keen to board the project.

The new film is being produced by Edward R. Pressman, Jeff Most, Relativity's CEO Ryan Kavanaugh and Apaches Entertainment's Enrique Lopez Lavigne and Belen Atienza.

Production is targeted to start in the fall. Relativity’s Tucker Tooley (The Fighter) will serve as executive producer. José Ibáñez, Pressman Film Corporation’s Jon Katz and Apaches’ Jesús de la Vega will serve as co-producers.

Cooper, repped by CAA, next appears in The Hangover Part II, which opens May 26.
Old 04-12-11, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Bradley Cooper
Old 04-12-11, 07:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Cooper? I don't think he's right for the role. I'm curious to see what Fresnadillo will do since I thought 28 Weeks Later was great. I think it'd be badass if they filmed this in b&w.
Old 04-12-11, 07:20 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

that's an odd bit of casting. The guy has charisma but I can't imagine him playing the rock musician part to coming back alive to take vengeance. It'll be a physical transformation for sure.
Old 04-12-11, 07:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
that's an odd bit of casting. The guy has charisma but I can't imagine him playing the rock musician part to coming back alive to take vengeance. It'll be a physical transformation for sure.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.