Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Crow (2024, D: Sanders) -- S: Bill Skarsgard

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Crow (2024, D: Sanders) -- S: Bill Skarsgard

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-24, 11:47 AM
Administrator

Received 1,069 Likes on 622 Posts
Re: The Crow (2024, D: Sanders) -- S: Bill Skarsgard

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man
It's also a highly influential movie like Blade Runner, where you can see how it changed cinema, and its influence is all over things like The Matrix and John Wick. It also opened the floodgates for comic book adaptions that weren't A-list superheroes like Batman and Superman (like Blade a few years later), or even comics books that featured no superheroes at all like The Walking Dead. It also brought gothic and industrial aesthetics into the mainstream.

And the soundtrack is absolutely killer.
It's also very much a time capsule of the rock scene/Detroit of the early 90s, where, exactly, it's all sort of a weird mix of grunge, goth, industrial... You can see a lot of Crow elements in anime, although I feel like some of that is recursive, since the character obviously has a hardline bishonen look.
Old 03-04-24, 12:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 115 Likes on 102 Posts

Salvation is my favorite of the sequels (though that is very faint praise) only because it tried to do something a bit different where the central revenge plot is set up as a mystery where the Crow has to figure out who he's supposed to kill.
That does sound interesting, but I remember being so bored & put-off by the look of this film (The whole thing looked more like an episode of SLIDERS or FARSCAPE) that it caused my investment to quickly die off. Which brings me to:

City of Angels is just a complete rehash of the first film and falls flat because of that even though it's fairly well-made.
I'd go so far to say that, visually, it's the best-looking of the franchise. Heck, even the bad guy's Lair looks like something out of a Clive Barker painting.

And Wicked Prayer is just a complete clusterfuck. I would assume that it was based on an unrelated spec script that had the Crow mythology grafted onto it at the last minute,
I was fully convinced that the same thing happened with Starship Troopers 2. I assumed somebody had an existing script about military forces on a strange planet where one of the soldiers has premonitions about betrayal via mind-control. Then the idea was to slap killer bugs in the beginning & ending of it and call it "Starship Troopers". But the film's extras said that was the emphasis all along? Funny how that works (If it's true)
But anyway, yeah, WICKED PRAYER was definetly...Something. The scene near the end where you can spot the giggling extra smiling & laughing while participating in Danny Trejo's "Serious" tribal dance says everything about that movie.
Old 03-05-24, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 452 Likes on 310 Posts

The franchise has been so run into the ground, they should really just start swinging for the fences. The basic premise is completely flexible, but it seems like they just keep remaking the first movie's aesthetic. How about The Crow in space. Medieval Crow. Samurai Crow. Cybernetic Crow. Aztec Crow.
The following users liked this post:
IBJoel (03-06-24)
Old 03-06-24, 05:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 447 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
The franchise has been so run into the ground, they should really just start swinging for the fences. The basic premise is completely flexible, but it seems like they just keep remaking the first movie's aesthetic. How about The Crow in space. Medieval Crow. Samurai Crow. Cybernetic Crow. Aztec Crow.
Fox & Crow, Jim Crow...
Old 03-06-24, 09:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend & 2021 TOTY Winner

Received 749 Likes on 370 Posts

Salvation is my favorite of the sequels (though that is very faint praise) only because it tried to do something a bit different where the central revenge plot is set up as a mystery where the Crow has to figure out who he's supposed to kill.
I saw Salvation in a theater at SDCC months before it was dumped on DVD. This should have been the one place that it could have found an audience. People were hyped to see it. James O'Barr, director Bharat Nalluri, and star Eric Mabius were in attendance for the screening. I specifically remember Mabius speaking to the audience before the screening, and he sounded like he was about to cry when he said "I really hope that you like it" at the end. I feel like he already knew that it was a stinker, but he was still hoping that we liked it.

The audience laughed loudly and repeatedly throughout the screening at scenes that were obviously not intended to be funny. I don't know if he stuck around, but I really felt back for Mabius. I really feel like that was the screening that convinced them to dump it DTV.
Old 03-06-24, 09:55 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 219 Likes on 166 Posts

Did anyone watch the Crow TV series from the late 90's?
Old 03-06-24, 12:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

Originally Posted by Sonny Corinthos
It was mid.. I thought Dacascos was almost doing his best impersonation of Lee but with more martial arts. It took the movie plot and stretched it out in a loose adaptation from what I remember.
Old 03-06-24, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 398 Likes on 321 Posts

I watched the pilot, because back then I was a big fan of Mark Dacascos, but it was very much a 90's TV show and too tame.

I've seen all Crow movies, but I don't remember the sequels at all. So for me the franchise is still kind of fresh.
Old 03-06-24, 09:04 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by TheBang
Yeah, I think that The Crow has potential as a mythology, where sequels are all their own things. Crow in space. Crow set in the Old West (maybe the Skull Cowboy was one that Crow's nineteenth century kills). Crow set during WWII where he/she is picking off Nazis.

At one point, Rob Zombie was going to direct a Crow movie set in the future; there's a script floating around out there online. (Regardless of how one might feel about Zombie's prowess as a filmmaker, I think his sensibilities would have translated into a cyberpunky incarnation of The Crow.)

Hindsight being 20/20, I sort of wish they made that Crow: Lazarus movie with DMX and Eminem. Might not have been good, but it would still probably be better than Wicked Prayer.
Old 03-06-24, 09:07 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,745 Likes on 1,890 Posts

Originally Posted by devilshalo
It was mid.. I thought Dacascos was almost doing his best impersonation of Lee but with more martial arts. It took the movie plot and stretched it out in a loose adaptation from what I remember.
Originally Posted by Runaway
I watched the pilot, because back then I was a big fan of Mark Dacascos, but it was very much a 90's TV show and too tame.
I watched an episode or two, and I remember it being kind of... strange. Almost like a generic 90s police procedural with The Crow character stuck in it.

I think the whole series is on Youtube, so I might try to catch an episode or two and see if it's bad as I remember it.

Old 03-14-24, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 732 Likes on 534 Posts

Old 03-14-24, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 267 Likes on 195 Posts

Oh dear...
Old 03-14-24, 10:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,157 Likes on 903 Posts

Even though I don’t hold the original in high regard it’s easily better than what’s shown in this trailer. The remake looks awful.
Old 03-14-24, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,192 Likes on 918 Posts

The action in this looks like it came from a John Wick movie.

I still won't see it in theaters, but will watch it on 4K home video. Seems like this is what Ghost in the Shell (2017) should have been action-wise. They've let Rupert Sanders go crazy with the violence.
Old 03-14-24, 11:20 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 366 Likes on 266 Posts

I’ll watch it because I adore the original. I didn’t think The Crow would end up like all the disappointing Predator movies. Some are less disappointing than others.
Old 03-14-24, 05:10 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 913 Likes on 648 Posts

The leaked Momoa clip above oozes more style and Crow vibes than that 3 minute trailer. What a missed opportunity.

City of Angels is just a complete rehash of the first film and falls flat because of that even though it's fairly well-made. And Wicked Prayer is just a complete clusterfuck. I would assume that it was based on an unrelated spec script that had the Crow mythology grafted onto it at the last minute, but it was actually based on a Crow spin-off novel by Norman Partridge (who is a pretty decent author and short story writer).

Wicked Prayer was one of the two Crow spin-off novels that I read (the other being Lazarus Heart by Poppy Z. Brite) because I was fans of the authors. I don't remember much about the Wicked Prayer novel, or if it was as bad as the movie, but I can't imagine it was.
I've always maintained that the Crow as a film concept hinges on the villains and the first film has it in spades with Wincott, Tony Todd, and Michael Massee. And even in smaller roles, Bai Ling and John Polito as an antagonist were great. Plus you had other fun characters like Skank, Tin-Fin and T-bird. The plot is already thin and the "Crow" doesn't speak a ton so you need an eclectic group of villains for him to play off of.

The sequels just have lame cookie-cutter villains. City of Angels came closest to capturing the spirit and vibe of the original, but outside of Iggy Pop the rest are forgettable. Salvation and Wicked Prayer? The less said the better.
New Lurker (03-14-24)
Old 03-14-24, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 628 Likes on 483 Posts

So, does Jared Leto cameo at the end of this Morbius spinoff?
Old 03-14-24, 06:53 PM

Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

That looks like a movie I will enjoy. That looks like a John Wick movie. It's violent and it's action packed. It's just not a Crow movie. I equate a Crow movie with a certain ambience. A real dark and cinematic vibe to the cinematography. It's not bright. It's dark. It's wet. It's a rain drenched limited pallet visual. It's goth. This doesn't have any of that. I get that updates for new generations need changes that add to the mythos. But the gothic dark almost black and white nature of the original is the vibe that audiences flocked to and basically THE identity of The Crow.

This looks like a well done fun action flick. But it doesn't feel like it fits in The Crow mythos at all. The dialed back face paint. The tattoos. The soundcloud rapper vibe of Eric Draven's look. They were aiming for Ledger Joker. They got Leto Joker. I expect Skarsgard to elevate it beyond the output we got from Leto. This will be well done. It will probably even be good. But this doesn't feel like The Crow. Ledger still felt like Joker... even if he was a new take on him.

Brandon Lee's appearance was almost ghost like. A methodical gothic ghost out for vengeance against the baddest the streets had to offer. This just looks like a mad Twitch streamer sticking it to corporate America.
Old 03-14-24, 06:59 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 812 Likes on 601 Posts

I'm watching the trailer at work without the sound on. I almost thought that blonde was Jessica Chastain in it, but it's Laura Birn. This movie looks terrible.
Old 03-14-24, 08:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 193 Likes on 130 Posts

Really lame and laughable, but I'll probably watch it for the kills.
Old 04-09-24, 07:20 PM

Received 4,585 Likes on 3,104 Posts

The Crow is set for release on Aug. 23 after having previously been dated for June 7.
https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/mo...te-1235870477/
Old 04-09-24, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 3,641 Likes on 2,613 Posts

A late summer release is probably a better idea for this.
IBJoel (04-10-24)
Old 04-09-24, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 427 Likes on 291 Posts

The 30th anniversary of the original is next month. Disappointed that so far I have not seen any theaters are going to show it.
Old 04-10-24, 10:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,660 Likes on 1,035 Posts

The day after my birthday.

I'm obviously a huge fan of the original, and this looks better than all the sequels (including City of Angels, which was just way too fucked up to enjoy). This might be enough to make me use my monthly pass to the theater.