Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2008 Golden Globes Nominations - Movie Edition

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2008 Golden Globes Nominations - Movie Edition

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-09, 09:55 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 2008 Golden Globes Nominations - Movie Edition

Looks like Anne Hathaway has a good chance of winning according to a screw-up on the Golden Globe Site: http://thefilmstage.com/2009/01/09/r...-golden-globe/
Old 01-09-09, 11:43 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Anne Hathaway's Golden Globe Win Revealed?

Source: Anne Hathaway's Golden Globe Win Revealed? @ Yahoo!

LOS ANGELES, Calif. -- The Golden Globes are still days away, but Anne Hathaway may already be a winner.

A star indicating that she's won a Globe was found next to her name under the category Best Performance by an Actress in a Motion Picture - Drama, on the award show's Web site on Thursday.

VIEW THE PHOTOS: 2009 Golden Globes: Movie Nominees

A rep for the Hollywood Foreign Press Association told Access, "In the process of preparing for Sunday's Golden Globe Awards, the Hollywood Foreign Press Association web team inadvertently marked a nominee as a winner. The mistake was immediately corrected."

Anne's competition in the category includes actresses Angelina Jolie, Meryl Streep, Kristin Scott Thomas and Kate Winslet.
Old 01-09-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Uh, somebody done fucked up.
Old 01-09-09, 03:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I'm guessing that most of the people bitching about the TDK "snub" haven't seen any of the other nominees.

Except for maybe Frost/Nixon because they thought "Frost" was some sort of super-villain.
Shame on you, Groucho, to automatically assume that anyone who considers The Dark Knight to be one of the best pictures of the year is also a comic book fanboy with no sense of objectivity or perspective.

I have seen a majority of the nominated films, and am shocked that a movie as pedestrian as The Reader got both a best picture and best director nomination over The Dark Knight. And yes, I am also angry at the fact that The Wrestler didn't get a best picture nomination, nor Gran Torino.
Old 01-09-09, 04:08 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
You know, the more I think about "Mamma Mia!" getting nominated for best comedy or musical, the more it just pisses me off. THAT over "Tropic Thunder", "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", "Role Models", "Hamlet 2", "Rock N Rolla" (ok, it's both a comedy and a drama), "Ghost Town", "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day", "Choke"!? All infinitely better films than the shit that is "Mamma Mia!"
Yeah, I agree. I would really push for the first three. Role Models was surprisingly hysterical. I guess the fact that it's Comedy or Musical means they feel like they have to have a musical. I mean, looking at the nominees:

a. BURN AFTER READING - good but not hilarious
b. HAPPY-GO-LUCKY - didn't see it
c. IN BRUGES - good but not hilarious
d. MAMMA MIA! - didn't see it because it's a joke
e. VICKY CRISTINA BARCELONA -solid film but not that funny imo.

I haven't seen Happy-go-lucky, but I didn't think Vicky Cristina Barcelona was that funny. Mamma mia is the only musical, right? I don't know, these nominations for this category seem stupid imo.
Old 01-09-09, 04:15 PM

My ideal nominees out of the movies that had a legitimate chance would have been:

DRAMA:
Slumdog Millionaire
The Wrestler
Revolutionary Road
Milk
The Dark Knight

COMEDY:
Happy-Go-Lucky
In Bruges
Burn After Reading
Forgetting Sarah Marshall
Vicky Cristina Barcelona

So, I'm 6/10. It's better than last year when I was about 3/12.
Old 01-12-09, 07:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

Anyone watch last night? I wasn't able to catch it.
Old 01-12-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by TomOpus

Five page and counting thread in the TVTalk group.
Old 01-13-09, 03:34 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by TomOpus
You weren't the only one.

Golden Globes gets smallest TV audience in years

LOS ANGELES (Reuters) - The Golden Globes award ceremony reeled in the big stars, but not much of a television audience, viewership figures on Monday showed.

Sunday's awards ceremony on the NBC network, featuring teary acceptances speeches by Briton Kate Winslet and a rare posthumous honor for Heath Ledger, averaged 14.6 million viewers, the second-lowest TV audience since 1995, according to Nielsen Media Research.

Two years ago, the audience was 20 million and last year's ceremony was reduced to a star-free news conference because of the Hollywood screenwriters strike.

Sunday's show, seen as a run-up to the Oscar ceremony on February 22, had a full complement of red carpet stars, ranging from hot teens Miley Cyrus and the Jonas Brothers to hot couples Brad Pitt and Angelina Jolie.

"Slumdog Millionaire" ended the night as top dog with four Globes, but some TV reviewers took exception to producer Christian Colson's apparent use of an obscenity while music was cued in during his best movie acceptance speech.

Mickey Rourke, making a career comeback in "The Wrestler," accepted his best actor Globe with some salty language, while a joke by award presenter Sacha Baron Cohen about recession-hit Madonna laying off an assistant in the form of ex-husband Guy Ritchie was also declared a dud.

But the Hollywood Reporter said the slightly boozy celebrity love fest "delivered with heart, soul and even a little political incorrectitude, proving to be the rare kudofest that left viewers feeling almost satisfied."

The New York Times however disagreed, saying that "a ceremony usually known for high spirits (and lots of wine and spirits) had a brisk, workmanlike feel."
Old 01-13-09, 06:01 PM
Banned

Looks like the Oscars are also going to have low ratings then.
Old 01-13-09, 06:06 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

That may happen...but I'm sure if TDK gets some noms in we'll see ppl waiting to see Ledger win...
Old 01-13-09, 09:09 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wm lopez
Looks like the Oscars are also going to have low ratings then.
Four plus hours of Hugh Jackman singing and dancing and political statements. I think I'll use that night to take my girlfriend to dinner and drinks.
Old 01-13-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,304 Likes on 948 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Five page and counting thread in the TVTalk group.
No wonder it got so quiet in here
Old 01-13-09, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 291 Likes on 212 Posts

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
Four plus hours of Hugh Jackman singing and dancing and political statements. I think I'll use that night to take my girlfriend to dinner and drinks.

What will your wife say?