Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

2008 Golden Globes Nominations - Movie Edition

Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

2008 Golden Globes Nominations - Movie Edition

Old 12-11-08, 01:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
HFP
What's this?
Old 12-11-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by SmackDaddy
I'm not sure that TDK rabid fanbase makes up much of the Academy viewership. Besides, I think no one in general cares about the Academy Awards except the nominees.

I think Ledger is the only legit shot at a nomination, aside from technical nods. I can't see TDK getting a best pic on the strength of Ledger alone.
I mostly agree, but I think it does have a chance of getting nominations for picture and/or director. It won't win either though.
Old 12-11-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,039 Likes on 823 Posts
Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
What's this?
Hollywood Foreign Press, the ones that vote on Globe winners/nominees.

And yeah, TDK was a substantially better movie than Iron Man, and no it wasn't all thanks to Ledger.
Old 12-11-08, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 184 Likes on 126 Posts
Originally Posted by Goat3001
Disagree.

1- TDK wasn't JUST Ledger. It was an excellent film all around. Great performances by Bale, Cain and Oldman and excellent direction. I don't think they all deserve nods. Ledger certainly does and not just because he's dead. I don't think TDK was the best film of the year and I don't think it deserves to WIN Best Film at the Oscars. However, it was one of the best movies of the year and considering how hard they've been pushing for a nomination I was surprised to see it not get it.

2- Iron Man was certainly not as well recieved as TDK. You may think it was better and it certainly was a good movie and got high marks but it wasn't nearly as well recieved as TDK. Also RDJ in Iron Man wasn't even on the same level as Ledger in TDK.

Now RDJ in Tropic Thunder certainly deserves a nomination.

Depends on what you base your critical acclaim. I base it on positive reaction, and going by that they are almost equal. TDK 94%, IM 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. That many positive reviews is no small task.

RDJ's turn as Tony Stark was quite well received. I'd say he did equally as good a job of bringing his character to life as Ledger did with Joker. Not comparing the two roles, mind you just how they brought life to them.

I certainly wouldn't call Bale's performance great by any stretch. I think the next best performance in TDK would be Oldman. The rest were good, but not great. And that's part of the reason I don't think it will get (or deserves) a best pic nom.

Now, I did not say RDJ (or Iron Man for that matter) should have been nominated (and I agree that his turn in TT was worth a nom if they had com/musical awards for actors) only that fans of that movie aren't getting bent out of shape at the lack of "respect" towards their favorite film.

Last edited by SmackDaddy; 12-11-08 at 01:38 PM.
Old 12-11-08, 01:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Depends on what you base your critical acclaim. I base it on positive reaction, and going by that they are almost equal. TDK 94%, IM 93% on Rotten Tomatoes. That many positive reviews is no small task.
The more telling part is the score, TDK has an average 8.5 out of 10 from all critics, Iron Man had a 7.6 out of 10. The Fresh/Rotten scale works to determine how likely you are to enjoy a movie, but the actual ratings sort of dictate what the critics actually thought of the flick. So while Iron Man had just as many scores that rated 3 out of 5 or higher (or whatever scale is being used) as The Dark Knight, the Dark Knight got more 5 out of 5s than Iron Man did. (Their Metacritic score is a lot closer (79 to 82). Of course, I don't know how Metacritic picks what reviews to count (it's supposed to be "top" critics, but I dunno, Christian Science Monitor, The Onion.. Not really what I think of when I think of film critics.)

That said, it doesn't really change anything, and I agree TDK won't win but a nomination wouldn't be a huge surprise (I don't expect it myself, but it'd be nice to see).

And for what it's worth, while Iron Man covered some good ground (making amends for what he considers to be a considerable wrong, war politics) it didn't quite hit the density of topics TDK hit (political corruption in Chicago erm Gotham, legal rights vs moral rights, sociological fear and chaos, invasion of privacy, lying for the greater good, belief in incorruptibility/symbolism for hope, etc; ) .. you know, stuff the academy usually eats up

also FWIW, I thought Tom Cruise was great in Tropic Thunder, but it's kind of odd he got a nomination over some more dramatic actors.

Last edited by RichC2; 12-11-08 at 01:56 PM.
Old 12-11-08, 01:41 PM
Suspended

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The song Jon Brion did for "Synedoche, New York" should have been nominated. Tom Cruise wasn't that great in "Tropic Thunder".
Old 12-11-08, 01:55 PM

i'm actually surprised the HFP gave Tom Cruise the nomination for Tropic Thunder and not Valkyrie. with all the hype around the 2nd movie, surprised no noms at all for it
Old 12-11-08, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by beatccr
i'm actually surprised the HFP gave Tom Cruise the nomination for Tropic Thunder and not Valkyrie. with all the hype around the 2nd movie, surprised no noms at all for it
That would be because the hype/buzz is incredbily negative for Valkyrie, and this just helps further that a bit.
Old 12-11-08, 02:12 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ronnie Dobbs
The song Jon Brion did for "Synedoche, New York" should have been nominated. Tom Cruise wasn't that great in "Tropic Thunder".
Amen. I still have not heard Peter Gabriel's song for Wall-E. I LOVE p. Gabriel though (even though I dont care about that Pixar movie) so I hope he gets an Oscar nom and performs there since that would be cool. IS the son good?

Oh and again if that Miley Cyrus chick gets an Oscar nom and Jon Brion does not for the "Little Person" song from Synecdoche NY i will be so upset, sad, pissed,etc.
Old 12-11-08, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

RDJ's turn as Tony Stark was quite well received. I'd say he did equally as good a job of bringing his character to life as Ledger did with Joker. Not comparing the two roles, mind you just how they brought life to them.

I certainly wouldn't call Bale's performance great by any stretch. I think the next best performance in TDK would be Oldman. The rest were good, but not great. And that's part of the reason I don't think it will get (or deserves) a best pic nom.

Now, I did not say RDJ (or Iron Man for that matter) should have been nominated (and I agree that his turn in TT was worth a nom if they had com/musical awards for actors) only that fans of that movie aren't getting bent out of shape at the lack of "respect" towards their favorite film.
To your first point. Yes the numbers on RT were close and yes they were both very good movies. When you compare the two most critics (I'd say over 80%) would say that TDK was the better movie. I liked Knocked Up and I would give that a thumbs up. I liked There Will Be Blood and would give that a thumbs up. When I compare the two, there really is no comparasion as to which is the better movie. Subejective, of course, but I feel most critics would agree and while that is subjective too its as close to objective as you'd get. On top of that you have plenty of fanboys so you're going to get backlash if this doesn't get plenty of Oscar nominations.

Don't get me wrong, I thought RDJ did an excellent job as Tony Stark. He did bring him to life. I just feel that Ledger did a much better job of bringing a much harder character to life.

If you don't think TDK deserves a nod its your opinion and I respect that. It is getting a huge marketing campaign to get nominated but if it wasn't I don't think it would either. The movie had a few moments of "this is just a comic book movie" to be seriously considered as an Oscar contender. I thought the Sonar cell phone thing was just ludacris. It works for a comic book movie/summer blockbuster, I just don't think it works for an Oscar movie.

I think Nolan did an excellent job directing and I think that's been overlooked with everyone pushing for best picture and best supporting actor. Does he deserve a nod for it? I don't know I haven't seen the other films. But I think it at least deserves to be considered.
Old 12-11-08, 02:32 PM
Banned

Looks like Will Smiths campaign to win Awards with Seven Pounds certainly wont be working for him. Same for Luhrman's Austrailia.
And is P.S. Hoffman really a supporting Actor in Doubt. I saw the trailer twice over the weekend and he certainly looked like lead Actor material in the trailer.
Old 12-11-08, 03:49 PM

WTF TDK AFK

Anyway, I'm psyched to see that Vicky Cristina Barcelona got four nominations.

My second favorite movie of the year so far and they actually nominated Hall over Johansson (I would've expected them to go with the name).
Old 12-11-08, 05:13 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 957 Likes on 799 Posts
really glad about "The Wrestler" and especially Mickey Rourke...though i am not exactly sure why. sad about TDK.
Old 12-11-08, 06:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by conscience
Supporting awards are not broken into Comedy and Drama categories.
Whoops. You are correct. Wow, that really makes Cruise's nomination extra horrible.
Old 12-11-08, 07:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 294 Likes on 214 Posts
Originally Posted by RichC2
That would be because the hype/buzz is incredbily negative for Valkyrie, and this just helps further that a bit.

What negative hype and buzz!? I keep hearing people say that here, but no where else online. And I read too many entertainment websites to list. Also, RT just now has the first three reviews. The Hollywood Reporter gave it a thumbs up, Variety thumbs down. But even that review is not bad. Also, some website called Screen International also gave it a positive review that is listed on RT.
Old 12-11-08, 07:57 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt
Lately, I've found the Oscars to be more "mainstream" than the Golden Globes. The lack of nominations for The Dark Knight isn't too surprising. I just can't believe they nominated Tom Cruise for Tropic Thunder. All his scenes were practically unwatchable in that film.

Just like "Mamma Mia!" being completely unwatchable. I expected Streep to get a nomination, but not the movie itself. Cruise's nomination is equally perplexing.
Old 12-11-08, 08:06 PM
Suspended

Originally Posted by beatccr
What in mostly Jewish Hollywood they don't want to celebrate a movie that puts Nazis in a positive light? Also Valkyrie was a failed mission.
Old 12-11-08, 08:07 PM

Well look, everyone knows that the Golden Globes is the star-fucker awards. Which to me makes TDK's snub all the more perplexing, since they nominated the only person who couldn't collect for it (sorry). But Tom Cruise's nom doesn't throw me because of that.

It's still a pretty pathetic year for them even by their standards.
Old 12-11-08, 08:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Sanjuro37
Well look, everyone knows that the Golden Globes is the star-fucker awards. Which to me makes TDK's snub all the more perplexing, since they nominated the only person who couldn't collect for it (sorry). But Tom Cruise's nom doesn't throw me because of that.

It's still a pretty pathetic year for them even by their standards.

The Oscars always have one or two head scratching nominations (or omissions). But the Globes? Have always have many many more.
Old 12-11-08, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm not sure why everyone is shocked over Tom Cruise's nomination. The Golden Globes are known for giving undeserved nominations to stars they want to show up at their dinner. They nominated John Travolta in the same category last year for Hairspray, for god's sake. Will Ferrell was nominated for The Producers. Cruise will NOT receive an Oscar nomination.

Also, the Oscar will go to Heath Ledger. It's an absolute lock, a done deal, bet your house on it, the end. And after watching The Dark Knight a couple more times this week, I'm fully convinced that it's completely deserved, dead or not dead. He'd be the frontrunner if he was alive as well, because he has the "make-up award" factor in his favor since not winning for his performance in Brokeback Mountain, which many people feel is one of the decade's greatest.
Old 12-11-08, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts
No Benicio Del Toro??????
Old 12-11-08, 10:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by inri222
No Benicio Del Toro??????
For what? Che? I don't think it even had a qualifying run.
Old 12-11-08, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
As much as I liked Ledger's portrayal of the Joker. I don't think he or any other person that has passed away should get it. Give it to the living.
Old 12-11-08, 11:28 PM

Showbiz Tonight interviewed the critic at People magazine, who is a NY Film Critics member, and she said that she loved Tom Cruise's nomination at the GGs.
Old 12-12-08, 12:17 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Who will accept Heath's Golden Globe AND Oscar if/when he wins? Do you think it will be Michelle Williams? Man I bet that will be one heartbreaking acceptance speech if so.

You know, the more I think about "Mamma Mia!" getting nominated for best comedy or musical, the more it just pisses me off. THAT over "Tropic Thunder", "Forgetting Sarah Marshall", "Role Models", "Hamlet 2", "Rock N Rolla" (ok, it's both a comedy and a drama), "Ghost Town", "Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day", "Choke"!? All infinitely better films than the shit that is "Mamma Mia!"

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.