Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Need help identifying some strange movies

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-08, 11:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have looked all over the internet but was unable to identify these movies.
Does anyone have any idea about the names of the following movies:

1. A horror comedy where a man buys a magic potion that can bring pictures to life. He opens a magazine and pours the potion on a picture of a dog which then comes to life. He then pours the potion on a picture of skeleton women who also comes to life. I saw this movie back in the 80s.

2. A psychological thriller where a women gets involved with a psycho who ties her to the ends of two mac trucks. Saw this during the early 90s and had to leave the room before the two trucks drove off.

3. A spy comedy where a student goes to Europe and gets unknowingly involved in espionage. A female spy thinks he is an enemy spy and tries to seduce him but he turns her down. They latter are attacked and the female spy fights off several attackers in an alley.

4. A movie that is sampled in a song by Noise Unit. I looked up the quote on google last year and read it was a European movie with an international cast but I forgot the name of the movie and now can't find it anymore. Here's a clip from it: media.putfile.com/Noise-Unit-Clip

I've been trying to find these movies for a long time now.
Thanks for your help.
Old 12-01-08, 11:08 PM

#2 definitely sounds like Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh in 'The Hitcher'.
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0091209/
Old 12-01-08, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 108 Likes on 75 Posts
Number 3 sounds like it may be "Gotcha"

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0089222/plotsummary
Old 12-01-08, 11:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hoagiesw/Myles
#2 definitely sounds like Rutger Hauer and Jennifer Jason Leigh in 'The Hitcher'.
Hey your'e right, it is The Hitcher. I have it but haven't watched it yet. I scanned through it and found the truck scene. Thanks a lot. Didn't think I would see that movie again.
Old 12-01-08, 11:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts
#1 is the Amazing Stories episode ("Miscalculation") starring Jon Cryer.
Old 12-01-08, 11:26 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
#3 is Richard Grieco's Teen Agent, AKA If Looks Could Kill. Maybe.
Old 12-01-08, 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Wolf359
Number 3 sounds like it may be "Gotcha"
This looks like it could be it.The plot definitely matches what I remember. I must have missed it when searching through the list of spy movies on IMDB. Thanks for the help. You guys really know your movies. Now two more movies to go.
Old 12-01-08, 11:36 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
#3 is Richard Grieco's Teen Agent, AKA If Looks Could Kill. Maybe.
This also could be it. I don't know. Both are set in France. I'll have to check this out also. Thanks. From what I can remember #3 had a really good fight scene in an alley. The women was doing some realistic looking moves, not like Van Damme.
Old 12-01-08, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
#1 is the Amazing Stories episode ("Miscalculation") starring Jon Cryer.
This is probably it. From IMDB:
Season 2, Episode 2: Miscalculation
29 September 1986
Nerdy collegiate Phil unsuccessfully tries every trick in the book to meet girls. Then he discovers a potion that makes gorgeous magazine pin-ups spring to life.

Thanks. Thought it was a movie but I was real young when I saw it and it was really scary when the skeleton woman came to life.
Old 12-01-08, 11:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Ok, but have any of you ever seen "Begotten"?
Old 12-02-08, 12:13 AM

Originally Posted by lamphorn
Ok, but have any of you ever seen "Begotten"?
Never seen it. Is that one of the weirdest movies you've seen?
Old 12-02-08, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by mutagen
Never seen it. Is that one of the weirdest movies you've seen?
It's been probably 12 years since I saw it and I still consider it one of the most nauseating and depressing experiences ever. It's about as despicable as a work of art can get.
Old 12-02-08, 08:06 AM

Originally Posted by mutagen
Hey your'e right, it is The Hitcher. I have it but haven't watched it yet. I scanned through it and found the truck scene. Thanks a lot. Didn't think I would see that movie again.
You should definitely check it out. Its an underrated little gem from the 80's. The scene you described is terrifying.
Old 12-02-08, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Ah I love those little "I remember this one movie where..." things, I've sadly figured all mine out already.

Can't wait for the next generation that stumbles upon a Takashi Miike flick or two in middle of the night (Audition, Ichi, Fudoh, Visitor Q, Happiness of the Katakuris -- oddly most people I know find subtitles more acceptable in the middle of the night), though it actually seems like Nowhere (Gregg Araki) will be filling that void for a little while (I'm utterly amazed at the number of people that have seen that movie (and had no idea what it was, but everybody remembers the ending)).
Old 12-02-08, 11:02 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I have another "help me figure out the name of this movie" question.

I saw this film on t.v. probably at least 15 years ago. I just saw parts. It was a horror film, and I think I saw it on t.v. (rather than VHS, etc.)

A woman is locked in a basement by a psycho... she tries to get out, but can't. While locked in there, she hears lots of construction: sawing, hammering, etc.

The door to the basement eventually is unlocked. When she opens it, she is confronted by a newly-constructed wooden tunnel (maze?). I do not remember (or did not see) what the result of the tunnel was... maybe she falls into a grave or something.

Yes, I have seen Sluizer's Vanishing. That's not what I'm thinking of.

I am fairly positive it was an American film.

I do not know if the scene described above makes up the entirety of the movie or just 5 minutes or so. My perception is that it was a substantial part of the movie. Thanks for any help!
Old 12-02-08, 12:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 461 Likes on 275 Posts
That sounds like the "Blind Alleys" segment of Tales from the Crypt (1972), but it's a man who is locked up in that one. The same story was used in 1994 for an episode of HBO's Tales from the Crypt ("Revenge Is the Nuts," episode 6.5), but again it's a man locked in the basement. Check out the TV version here and see if it rings any bells.
Old 12-02-08, 03:24 PM
Suspended

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Hoagiesw/Myles
You should definitely check it out. Its an underrated little gem from the 80's. The scene you described is terrifying.
Wasn't this remade recently?
Old 12-02-08, 03:26 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Ron G
Wasn't this remade recently?
Yes, with Sean Bean and some random tweens.
Old 12-02-08, 03:33 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dimension X
That sounds like the "Blind Alleys" segment of Tales from the Crypt (1972), but it's a man who is locked up in that one. The same story was used in 1994 for an episode of HBO's Tales from the Crypt ("Revenge Is the Nuts," episode 6.5), but again it's a man locked in the basement. Check out the TV version here and see if it rings any bells.
YEah thats what I was thinking good call. Great scene. If I recall it had dogs in that scene.
Old 12-02-08, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 799 Likes on 567 Posts
Originally Posted by cgray
A woman is locked in a basement by a psycho... she tries to get out, but can't. While locked in there, she hears lots of construction: sawing, hammering, etc.

The door to the basement eventually is unlocked. When she opens it, she is confronted by a newly-constructed wooden tunnel (maze?)....
That's definitely Buried Alive, a 1990 TV movie directed by Frank Darabont. The woman is an adulterous wife who conspired with her lover to poison her husband. The husband is buried in the cemetery, but he isn't dead, and he crawls out of his grave and returns home for revenge.
Old 12-02-08, 03:55 PM

How about a 70's or 80's horror movie where a family kept the grandmother in the attic. I know it had "House" somewhere in the title. That's all that I can remember.
Old 12-03-08, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Seven%Solution
How about a 70's or 80's horror movie where a family kept the grandmother in the attic. I know it had "House" somewhere in the title. That's all that I can remember.
Could it Grandmother's House (1988) or The Granny (1995).

Anybody have any idea for my unidentified movie #4?

I also have another question. Does anyone know the name of the TV actress who was popular during the 80's. She was on Highway to Heaven and other similar shows. She had a heavy New York accent and long black hair.
Old 12-04-08, 11:17 PM

No, it was neither of those. Thanks for the suggestions though.
Old 02-16-09, 11:39 PM

Re: Need help identifying some strange movies

Here's another...I think I read a review on DVD Talk a few years ago.

It's either a documentary or a mockumentary about an elusive Canadian(?) artist who either did or did not exist. "He" had lots of painting that went on sale, but no one could ever track any information down about his real self.

I hope I didn't dream this.
Old 02-17-09, 07:48 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Need help identifying some strange movies

Maybe F for Fake (1973)?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.