Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Need help identifying some strange movies

Old 02-17-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Re: Need help identifying some strange movies

I looking for the title of a relatively recent (less than 10 years old) movie I saw about a bunch of 20 something year old people who live and work in a large mall in Canada in Toronto or Vancouver. It was very snowy and at the end, one of the actors decides to leave the mall. It's kind of like mallrats but I don't think it was.
Old 02-17-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I've only had two of these. One no one here could answer; the answer was Miyazaki's Future Boy Conan, which was never broadcast in the US.

The other one is also terribly vague. A boy is holed up in some kind of prison/dungeon. One of his punishments is that he is forced to eat a lot. At one point they say, "Next you will eat an entire shark." Something like that.
Old 02-17-09, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by JackBurton View Post
Maybe F for Fake (1973)?
No,l because F for Fake did not deal with a Canadian artist. Thanks, though. I have a feeling this was a film that was only shown a few times and then tossed on DVD.
Old 02-17-09, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by chowderhead View Post
I looking for the title of a relatively recent (less than 10 years old) movie I saw about a bunch of 20 something year old people who live and work in a large mall in Canada in Toronto or Vancouver. It was very snowy and at the end, one of the actors decides to leave the mall. It's kind of like mallrats but I don't think it was.
Waydowntown, maybe??
Old 02-17-09, 07:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by obscurelabel View Post
Waydowntown, maybe??
that is it! Thank you. It looks worse than I remember.
Old 06-26-11, 05:38 PM

Digging up an old thread, I know -- but it'll do the job.

Firstly, the name of the mockumentary about the Canadian artist was MISSING VICTOR PELLERIN. Highly recommended.

But here's a doozy...

A slasher film most likely made in the 80's. Probably for cable, due to the aggressive amount of nude scenes from several buxom young ladies. A slightly known actor plays the detective. Has a noir-ish vibe to it. I remember one particular scene of a rich, naked (of course) woman being killed in a sauna or personal jacuzzi -- which I'm certain was the opening scene.

Not DRESSED TO KILL, I know that for sure. But I'm certain it had a cheesy title like MURDER BY NIGHT or KILLER BY NIGHT or something to that effect.

Ring any bells?
Old 06-27-11, 05:24 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Seven%Solution View Post

Firstly, the name of the mockumentary about the Canadian artist was MISSING VICTOR PELLERIN. Highly recommended.

But here's a doozy...

A slasher film most likely made in the 80's. Probably for cable, due to the aggressive amount of nude scenes from several buxom young ladies. A slightly known actor plays the detective. Has a noir-ish vibe to it. I remember one particular scene of a rich, naked (of course) woman being killed in a sauna or personal jacuzzi -- which I'm certain was the opening scene.

Not DRESSED TO KILL, I know that for sure. But I'm certain it had a cheesy title like MURDER BY NIGHT or KILLER BY NIGHT or something to that effect.

Ring any bells?
This is a shot in the dark, but maybe I, THE JURY. Armand Assante as private eye Mike Hammer. Lots of nudity. I seem to remember bloody murders.
Old 06-27-11, 05:35 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I don't remember a sauna killing, but I do remember that the villain in I, The Jury kills some naked blondes at an orgy retreat; note the killings are juxtaposed against the orgy with hilarious O-faces and bad 80's disco. I think murders were on a waterbed and the ensuing blood mixture was the tipoff to Armand Assante.
Old 06-27-11, 06:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

But here's a doozy...

Ring any bells?
the seduction?
Old 06-27-11, 09:05 AM

Unfortunately, it none of those mentioned. Throwing out another bone, it might have been Italian produced -- I remember the actor playing the detective was probably badly dubbed.

The only thing I can really remember is the opening scene with the naked woman taking a shower -- and then later, the woman being killed in the sauna.

The reason why, I found this on a VHS, taped from, I'm supposing, late night cable. This was probably around the time I was 14? All the nudity and blood made a real impression on me.

I hate it when this sort of thing happens...
Old 06-27-11, 09:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

strip nude for your killer?
Old 06-27-11, 09:11 AM

I don't know what kind of girl you take me for...

But, nope...It was a short enough title...something "tried and true" if it were...really cliched.

There isn't a website dedicated to 80's slasher flix, is there?
Old 06-27-11, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't know what kind of girl you take me for...

But, nope...It was a short enough title...something "tried and true" if it were...really cliched.

There isn't a website dedicated to 80's slasher flix, is there?
retroslashers.com
Old 07-06-11, 01:32 PM

Found it!

Too Scared to Scream (1985)

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0090186/

And it has Ian McShane!!!
Old 07-06-11, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I actually was watching that on youtube to see if it matched your description but it didn't as the opening scene was the older rich lady.
Old 07-07-11, 09:15 AM

I watched it yesterday as well, however, it seems whomever uploaded it, cut out both nude scenes. I checked around for reviews and they all mention them. It's the same film, alright -- especially after re-watching that bizarre opening with Ian McShane putting on makeup at the beginning.