Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Most Overrated Steven Spielberg Movie

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Most Overrated Steven Spielberg Movie
Jaws
2.40%
Raiders of the Lost Ark
2.00%
Schindler's List
8.40%
Saving Private Ryan
16.80%
Close Encounters of the Third Kind
15.20%
E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial
27.60%
Jurassic Park
5.60%
Minority Report
6.40%
Munich
6.80%
Other (Say what it is)
8.80%
Voters: 250. You may not vote on this poll

Most Overrated Steven Spielberg Movie

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-08, 06:35 AM

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts
I went with other. To me, even a medicore Spielberg film (Terminal, Hook, 1941) is still watchable.
Old 12-06-08, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Hulkabrgr
I went with other. To me, even a medicore Spielberg film (Terminal, Hook, 1941) is still watchable.
Hulka!!! Geez man you and I started at the same time and haven't seen you in ages. Hey join in a little more.

Even a crappy Spielberg movie can be better than some directors best efforts. But he did have some mediocre-at-best films; Indy 2 and Jurassic Park 2 come to mind. Of course Indy 2 was really Lucas' vision, I remember seeing a documentary where Spielberg tried to talk him out out of the dark subject but George insisted. JP 2 was all Steven's, he wanted to switch from the island to the mainland in a take on the old Japanese monster movies. He left the other material for someone else to do a 3rd installment.
Old 12-07-08, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm sorry but Saving Private Ryan did nothing for me. Way too long as well.
Old 08-28-10, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 202 Likes on 135 Posts
Re: Most Overrated Steven Spielberg Movie

Just got done watching E.T for the first time in a while, and it confirmed what I suspected the last time I saw it, probably 8 years ago: I can't watch this movie anymore.

I find it extremely trite now. I liked it as a kid but wasn't gaga over it. I still love all of Spielberg's other stuff from the era, and CE3K is still an all-time favorite of mine. Glad to see it's the winner of the poll - I thought I was losing my sentimentality.
Old 08-28-10, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

E.T.

Munich, Raiders and Jaws are his three best films, in no way are they overrated.
Old 08-28-10, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What about when Tom Hanks told Matt Damon that he should invent a longer lasting light bulb or something...no tears?
Old 08-28-10, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I wouldn't say it's overrated, but "Saving Private Ryan" didn't do much for me. However, I still think there's enough greatness in it that I don't regret watching it.

"Empire of the Sun" is his best film, in my unusual opinion. I watch it about once a year and it never fails to entertain me and move me. I consider myself a Spielberg fan, but it's the only of his films that would rank among my all-time favorites (though I like "AI" and "Minority Report" a little more each time I watch them.)
Old 08-28-10, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 182 Likes on 120 Posts

I loved The Thin Red Line, so guess who I voted for.
Old 08-28-10, 05:15 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Jam Master Jay
What about when Tom Hanks told Matt Damon that he should invent a longer lasting light bulb or something...no tears?
I think a better ending would have been Matt Damon grabbing his crotch and saying "Earn this, motherfucker."
Old 08-28-10, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by inri222
I loved The Thin Red Line, so guess who I voted for.
I tried watching that twice and fell asleep both times in the middle of the afternoon. SPR is one of my favorites. Indy 2 is horrible but I don't think anyone rates it too highly so I don't kinow if it qualifies as overrated
Old 08-28-10, 05:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Close Encounters...very, very silly film. Did not like it upon release, and still don't.
Old 08-28-10, 05:25 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by arminius
Saving Ryan's Privates started out great but degenerated into just another war movie. They really need to have a good historic advisor on tactics and the like.
dont you mean Shaving Ryans Privates?
Old 08-28-10, 06:15 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Let's go for a four way tie between Close Encounters, ET, Schindler's List, and Saving Private Ryan.

Close Encounters: Boring. Who wants to see a movie about aliens that don't burst out of your chest or blow up the white house? If you're going to do that, at least cast David Bowie as the alien.

ET: Not exactly boring, but trite, overly sentimental, and noxiously manipulative.

Schindler's List: More manipulation, except this time it's about a serious subject instead of an alien, so it wins best picture and everyone praises it automatically. No dice. Give me Europa Europa or The Pianist over this any day.

Saving Private Ryan: Great opening. Notice how little dialogue there is in it? Once everyone starts talking, I was hoping a Nazi would sneak up on me and stab me in the chest just to get me away from it.

Last edited by Supermallet; 08-29-10 at 12:55 PM.
Old 08-28-10, 07:11 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

SPR by far. I don't like ET but I understand why people would like it. SPR is Hollywood schlock and one of his very few films that I can't even sit through its so bad.
Old 08-28-10, 07:15 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Let's go for a four way tie between Close Encounters, ET, Schindler's List, and Saving Private Ryan.

Close Encounters: Boring. Who wants to see a movie about aliens that don't burst out of your chest or blow up the white house? If you're going to do that, at least cast David Bowie as the alien.

ET: Not exactly boring, but trite, overly sentimental, and noxiously manipulative.

Schindler's List: More manipulation, except this time it's about a series subject instead of an alien, so it wins best picture and everyone praises it automatically. No dice. Give me Europa Europa or The Pianist over this any day.

Saving Private Ryan: Great opening. Notice how little dialogue there is in it? Once everyone starts talking, I was hoping a Nazi would sneak up on me and stab me in the chest just to get me away from it.

I agree with all of this though I voted E.T. as the most overrated.
Old 08-28-10, 10:59 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I voted for Close Encounters. I was never a fan of this film - I never thought there was much to it. It almost plays as a parody of Spielberg's style - the shots of people staring, the schmaltzy music and a cutesy kid. It was very much a movie of its time, and just seems horribly dated now.
Old 08-29-10, 01:48 AM
En vacance

truly
Old 08-29-10, 09:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Schindler's List: More manipulation, except this time it's about a series subject instead of an alien, so it wins best picture and everyone praises it automatically. No dice. Give me Europa Europa or The Pianist over this any day.

Is it safe to say you're just not a Spielberg fan?
Old 08-29-10, 10:10 AM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

E.T. manipulative? LOL. I guess all feel-good movies are manipulative then. So what?
Old 08-29-10, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I said Raiders of the Lost Arc. I just didn't think it was great...I ended up watching it again about a year ago, and I thought it was just "ok"...but overrated.
Old 08-29-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

The movie is NOT about aliens.

It's about a guy who abandons his wife and kids without any kind of financial support.
Old 08-29-10, 12:57 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by JimRochester
Is it safe to say you're just not a Spielberg fan?
Not true. I love Jaws, Indy, Minority Report, Catch Me If You Can. Heck, even though it exemplifies everything that is wrong with Spielberg, I even like Hook!

Originally Posted by Brack
E.T. manipulative? LOL. I guess all feel-good movies are manipulative then. So what?
Feel-good movies should make you feel good. ET just made me feel used.

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
The movie is NOT about aliens.

It's about a guy who abandons his wife and kids without any kind of financial support.
Old 08-30-10, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'd probably vote for ET as most overrated. Didn't really like it as a kid when it came out, and haven't watched it since. Actually, maybe I should give it another shot.

Close Encounters is my favorite Spielberg movie, and for me, it completely captures that sense of wonder and mystery, with almost none of the schmaltzy sentimentality. I love the fact that the aliens aren't evil, conquering villains, nor are they unambiguously friendly to mankind. Also, They're simply unknown, powerful and mysterious for most of the movie. And I appreciated that the government/army weren't evil---their attempt to conceal the alien contact was fairly reasonable and not motivated by cartoonish villainy. Combined with the rural/suburban 70's Americana setting, I just love the vibe this movie captures.

Spoiler:
And even though the aliens in the end are non-malevolent, there's still a lot of unknowns about them and their motivations---and it's still a leap of faith for Dreyfuss to go with them.

Also, I'm not much of one for watching extras, maybe Spielberg has discussed this in depth--but I assume the whole movie is supposed to represent filmmaking in general. Dreyfuss stands in for a director, a guy who's become totally obsessed with strange lights and music, to the point that he can't get the images out of his mind, and he has to pursue them even to the point of abandoning his family.
Old 08-30-10, 12:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by mike7162
I voted for Close Encounters. I was never a fan of this film - I never thought there was much to it. It almost plays as a parody of Spielberg's style - the shots of people staring, the schmaltzy music and a cutesy kid. It was very much a movie of its time, and just seems horribly dated now.
I didn't like it when I was a kid (fell asleep in the theater), but I love it now. Probably because I developed an attention span. The Blu-ray on a big t.v. on a summer night is a wonderful experience.

E.T. on the other hand needs to stay in my childhood, can't take it now.

Raiders and Jaws will always be epic.
Old 08-30-10, 12:31 PM
Suspended

Fuck all of you who voted E.T. Heartless, cynical bastards. You have no soul. None of you.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.