Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Twilight

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-08, 05:42 PM
Zee

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by RoboDad
One way or another, this thread is going to be very entertaining when Friday's estimates are published.
The reviews should be pretty entertaining too...have they even screened this at all? I haven't heard ANY reports. Not a good sign.
Old 11-18-08, 09:39 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well, I just got back from seeing Twilight. I can't review it but I'll say this...I went in with super low expectations and it was much better than I ever expected. It still has Lifetime movie moments and some cheesy parts and sfx, but the story held me, I was never bored and it doesn't overstay its welcome.

I wouldn't be rounding up my guy friends to see this, but females are gonna eat this up bigtime (with numerous repeated visits) and it's good enough for guys to go on date night without being miserable. When you combine all that it means Twilight is probably gonna make f'ing bank. I really can't put any estimate on what it'll do opening weekend because there's nothing to compare it to, but this should be really interesting to watch when the returns come in.
Old 11-19-08, 01:47 AM

How much was the movie made for? And they don't have to market this that well because they know that the fanbase is there and thats what is going to make a lot of money. Hell I know people from work that are going to see it at midnight then go again on Friday or Saturday again. Also one theater in town added a 2:30 am show since the midnight screening on 4 screens sold out. I bet that by Monday this does around the $70 million at the box office because of the hype and girls will see it at least twice this weekend.
Old 11-19-08, 02:16 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I've seen the budget listed at about $37 million.
Old 11-19-08, 08:23 AM

Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
And they don't have to market this that well because they know that the fanbase is there and thats what is going to make a lot of money.
The studio's fear has always been that the audience wouldn't expand beyond the core fanbase, so they've been marketing it pretty aggressively actually. TV spots have been airing in heavy rotation for weeks now. But you're right that at this point, they're riding word of mouth and media hype as far as they can take it.
Old 11-20-08, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts
This is going to make a ton of money.
Old 11-21-08, 02:57 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I saw this tonight with absolutely no knowledge of it other than it had vampires. My observations:

1) The theater had already sold out several showing for tomorrow night.

2) The theater was playing three midnight showings of it (which is almost unheard of around here for a single theater). This movie is going to make $Texas, if not $Alaska.

3) All the theaters were packed, and the audience was 95% female. The other few percent of males were accompanying females. I'm fairly sure I was the only male attending the film by myself.

4) This isn't a bad movie at all. It's in some ways like watching a superhero movie more than a vampire movie though. There was an awful lot of screeching going on from the girls in the audience, which would have driven me away had I realized beforehand what the audience composition would be.
Old 11-21-08, 03:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

This film is going to have a huge opening weekend.

AND it'll drop rock, fucking hard if the fans don't come out again in week two.
Old 11-21-08, 03:13 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
This film is going to have a huge opening weekend.

AND it'll drop rock, fucking hard if the fans don't come out again in week two.
Dude, you could totally get a job making box office projections.

I saw this film at midnight. I don't know why. Maybe it's because I thought if I threw myself into it at the most frenzied time I could understand what could possess someone to find any literary competence, much less greatness in this book series. I came away a seething ball of hate. I couldn't even hit on the vast multitude of chicks because the thought of even a one-night stand with someone who loved this made me ill. Actually, the movie wasn't all together atrocious, even though the direction was awful, the dialogue was shit (not the filmmakers' fault I know, but they still could have chosen not to adapt a shitty piece of literature), and it was just dull. I thought the actors tried their damnedest though and even did well when the inanity of the script gave way to a real moment between the leads, but that couldn't save this.
Old 11-21-08, 03:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I personally wouldn't see it considering I hate Catherine Hardwicke.

But seriously, this is a film made for the fan base and the fan base only. Not that there's anything wrong with that, but it seriously limits it's box office and wider audience appeal. Every time I've been to the movies in the past three months, I've wanted to put a gun in my mouth when the trailer came on because it was so fucking atrocious.

The only people I know who wanted to see the movie are fans of the book, everybody else I know has no desire to go (unless dragged by their significant other). And from what I saw, all the midnight showings in Vegas were sold out, a feat that hasn't been accomplished since The Dark Knight. This film will make serious bank this weekend, but unless the word of mouth is positive (it hasn't been from critics), this film will have some massive drops on the weekends to follow.

It kills me that Summit Entertainment is pouring millions into advertising this flick and couldn't do the same for Sex Drive.
Old 11-21-08, 06:52 AM
Banned

From IMDB.com:

Stewart Reveals Secret Of Pattinson's Appeal

21 November 2008 4:13 AM, PST

Twilight actress Kristen Stewart has unearthed the secret of co-star Robert Pattinson's overwhelming popularity with female fans - he's a "tortured artist".

Stewart stars alongside the British hunk in the eagerly anticipated vampire film, in which she plays a normal high school student who falls for the sinister ways of Pattinson's blood-thirsty character Edward.

The 22-year-old Brit has been the target of Twilight fans adoration - causing chaotic scenes at the film's world premiere in Los Angeles and signings in California.

And Stewart is adamant the reason Hollywood's newest heartthrob sets hearts fluttering is because he looks as if he is constantly agonising over deep thoughts.

She says, "Oh, he's like a little tortured artist. He's British. He's tall. He always looks like he's thinking about something. And he's quite witty. So he's pretty sexy."
http://www.imdb.com/news/ni0611277/

Old 11-21-08, 08:37 AM

So for someone whose a fan of vampire/superhero movies but has never read the book and it going with my wife tomorrow night will I enjoy this at all or wish I'd stayed home?
Old 11-21-08, 09:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts
I heard one bit of dialogue from the movie on this radio this morning. It went something like:

Bella: "How long have you been seventeen?"
Vampire: "Awhile"

Now if that dialogue doesn't suck ass then I don't know what does. How we get passion and romance from this stuff is beyond me.
Old 11-21-08, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by dsa_shea
I heard one bit of dialogue from the movie on this radio this morning. It went something like:

Bella: "How long have you been seventeen?"
Vampire: "Awhile"

Now if that dialogue doesn't suck ass then I don't know what does. How we get passion and romance from this stuff is beyond me.
The conversation was
Spoiler:

just as she was realizing he was a vampire. She asked him how old he was, and he replied "seventeen." Then the line you mentioned came in when she kept prying.

I'm not seeing the huge problem with the dialogue there.
Old 11-21-08, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,021 Likes on 812 Posts
Yeah honestly in terms of bad dialog, that isn't that bad. It's simple and to the point, I don't see the issue.
Old 11-21-08, 10:08 AM

There's some bad dialogue in "Twilight," but that line isn't one of them. The bigger problem with the film (which as I mentioned above isn't that bad as a whole) is the young, rookie secondary cast which because of their inexperience tend to flop around. Kristen's acting is the best, but even Rob gets uneven and the minor players can be downright terrible at times.
Old 11-21-08, 11:45 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

My sisters who are die hards went last night and between them and their friends it was a 50/50 split of those who thought it was 'pretty good' and those who 'HATED' it... so I think the second week drop will be pretty HUGE... one of the girls had been waiting for the movie rabidly and went home and ripped her posters of Rob Pattinson down, because he ended up sucking in the movie... I love when people go ape shit crazy for something before they actually SEE IT.

I fucking hate Catherine Hardwicke with a passion, she has yet to make a movie that didn't annoy the shit out of me (even the ones with decent concepts/casts etc. she has found a way to make them pretentious, jumbled pieces of shit). I'm curious about this one just because of the hype and I'd like to have some reference the next time I want to tear her a new one, but I will wait until midweek - no way in hell am I contributing to the opening weekend box office. I'm pulling for BOLT in this race (unlikely).
Old 11-21-08, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Location: Formerly known as "orangecrush18" - still legal though
I listened to the audio book of Twilight after my wife said she loved it. I had also heard it was similar to Harry Potter. It was a little to teen angst for my taste and not similar to Harry Potter, but we are seeing this tonight and I am cautiously optimistic.
Old 11-21-08, 12:29 PM

I saw it this morning with a theater full of adults and some teens whom I bet ditched school to see it. The film is what is people. One thing is that Catherine Hardwicke shouldn't have been the person to have made this. I can't think off the top of my head who should have, but she was the wrong person to get to make this. Like another person said, the film feels like a lifetime tv movie. Rob Patterson was miscast. I feel bad for him because of the backlash he's going to take from fans. Fans will make this the number one film this weekend, but it will take a dive next weekend. And I still stand by my number that it will take around $60 to $70 million even if it's a bad film, the fans will go see it this weekend but I can't see it doing repeat bussiness.
Old 11-21-08, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
Reports are coming in that midnight showings for last night only for Twilight netted about $7 million! Midnight showings only! Crazy.
Old 11-21-08, 03:44 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Predictions from the web:
Box Office Guru - $60 million - http://boxofficeguru.com/weekend.htm
Box Office Report - $64 million - http://www.boxofficereport.com/wbon/forecast.shtml
Cinematical - $44 million - http://www.cinematical.com/2008/11/1...light-arrives/
Lee's Movie Info - $65.5 million - http://www.leesmovieinfo.net/movie-predictions.php
Box Office Whisperer - $64 million - http://movies.hsx.com/news/whisper/
Blogcritics - $75 million - http://blogcritics.org/archives/2008/11/21/064338.php
Old 11-21-08, 03:50 PM

Originally Posted by DonTHX1378
Rob Patterson was miscast. I feel bad for him because of the backlash he's going to take from fans.
First, his name is Robert Pattinson, not Patterson. And second, while you could debatedly be right that he's miscast in this role (I've certainly heard arguments that way from some critics), you're 100% incorrect that he'll take any sort of backlash from fans. I have been around the Twilighters, and they are absolutely in fucking love with him. They stampede shopping malls for him. They wait hours for him to appear at Planet Hollywoods. They wear t-shirts with his photo on it. They scream when his name comes up in the title credits, and they scream again when he comes onscreen. He is their christ figure.

I can't say how it'll do repeat-wise with wider audiences, but the general sense I've heard from the fanbase is they can't wait to see it again.

Last edited by BJacks; 11-21-08 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-21-08, 04:05 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 723 Likes on 528 Posts
Originally Posted by Mercury&Solace
Reports are coming in that midnight showings for last night only for Twilight netted about $7 million! Midnight showings only! Crazy.
I knew I should have bought a row of tickets for the Arclight screening yesterday. I would have made bank.
Old 11-21-08, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BJacks
First, his name is Robert Pattinson, not Patterson. And second, while you could debatedly be right that he's miscast in this role (I've certainly heard arguments that way from some critics), you're 100% incorrect that he'll take any sort of backlash from fans. I have been around the Twilighters, and they are absolutely in fucking love with him. They stampede shopping malls for him. They wait hours for him to appear at Planet Hollywoods. They wear t-shirts with his photo on it. They scream when his name comes up in the title credits, and they scream again when he comes onscreen. He is their christ figure.
Like I said earlier, this is how my sisters friend was treating Rob last night prior to 10pm... at 12:30am she was tearing down his poster...
Old 11-21-08, 06:44 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by mdc3000
Like I said earlier, this is how my sisters friend was treating Rob last night prior to 10pm... at 12:30am she was tearing down his poster...
Did she walk out of the movie, or just not go?

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.