Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

man! people are slobs

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

man! people are slobs

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-08, 11:34 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If the price is too high, don't buy it. You don't like the practice, don't go. This is America, home of the free. If enough people supported your view, theaters will change. Crying about it does absolutely nothing.
Old 10-22-08, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by spainlinx0
There are only a few movie chains left from what I can tell. If they don't want to overcharge for concessions, they should band together and refuse to pay new movie prices. It's their fault for letting the studios dictate to them. Ask for a bigger cut, so you don't have to rape the customers on the other end. Why is it OK to say "well the studios are raping us, so now we want to rape you."
I often wonder why they don't do this. If the theaters could get together and boycott the studios for even just a week (especially if it was during a blockbuster release), maybe they could negotiate a better deal for themselves. The studios have no other outlet. What are they going to do, release Iron Man 2 direct to dvd? The studios and the theaters have a symbiotic relationship. It doesn't make sense that one side gets the shaft while the other makes out like bandits.
Old 10-22-08, 01:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 326 Likes on 243 Posts
Originally Posted by spainlinx0
There are only a few movie chains left from what I can tell. If they don't want to overcharge for concessions, they should band together and refuse to pay new movie prices. It's their fault for letting the studios dictate to them. Ask for a bigger cut, so you don't have to rape the customers on the other end. Why is it OK to say "well the studios are raping us, so now we want to rape you."
And you know what the studios would do? Say hello to Internet and Cable VOD premieres. Theaters would go out of business as fast as LPs and the 8-track tape. Studios have the upper hand, and they know it.
Old 10-22-08, 01:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Pistol Pete
Those highschool kids are also not the ones doing any real cleaning. In my day we would pick up the bags and cups and sweep up large spills of popcorn. That's it. At night a Vietnamese cleaning crew would actually mop the floors down and vacuum the carpets. There's no way we would have done any serious cleaning for barely minimum wage.

I was the manager at a small local theater a long time ago, and this is exactly how we did it. There just wasn't enough time between showings to do much else. We actually had small leaf blowers and would just blow everything up to the front of the theathers.

I was always amazed at the messes people would leave behind. And as bad as people would leave the theaters, the bathrooms would get even worse, especially the ladies room.
Old 10-22-08, 01:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 490 Likes on 288 Posts
Originally Posted by Shannon Nutt
And you know what the studios would do? Say hello to Internet and Cable VOD premieres. Theaters would go out of business as fast as LPs and the 8-track tape. Studios have the upper hand, and they know it.
I don't think studios want that. People pay for the community experience (when positive) and the big screen and big surround sound. I know everyone here has a big theater, but most people don't. It will be a while before people don't associate direct-to-dvd with shit.

I think the theaters have more clout now, especially with so few national chains, that they could really use their bargaining power, but they don't out of fear. If they can't survive without concessions, they need to think about changing their business strategy. The higher ticket prices go, the more people will be willing to forego concessions. Then what will they do? If they only have a short life left, they should go for broke anyway.
Old 10-22-08, 02:41 PM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Received 680 Likes on 456 Posts
My and other sundries get taken to the trash can as I leave.

People who leave their trash (or carts loose in the parking lot) need to be removed from the gene pool change.
Old 10-22-08, 09:25 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 222 Likes on 178 Posts
I only get popcorn and whatnot if I have a coupon for something free. When I do have trash, I take care of it myself. I don't see any reason why I shouldn't, it's on the way out the door.

I do the same at concerts and sporting events.
Old 10-23-08, 05:31 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,826 Likes on 1,135 Posts
Originally Posted by fumanstan
I leave my trash under the seat. It's always been normal just like at a sporting event for me. I don't leave a mess or spill popcorn or soda everywhere; everything's usually just in a tidy box.
Same here. But now that I think about it after reading this thread, I may start taking it with me and dumping it in the trash by the room door. We'll see....

DVDTALK...

Last edited by Giantrobo; 10-23-08 at 05:34 AM.
Old 10-23-08, 05:41 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Giles
talking about AMC concession folk, I was recently over at Tyson's and I wanted some popcorn that was hot and a poppin' (which the Rio over in Gaithersburg they are quite accomodating) the lady blatantly rolled her eyes and did what I asked her but I sooo wanted to slug her in the nose.
I've had nothing but great service from AMC employees at the 4 different locations I frequent here in CA. As a matter of fact, I was at an AMC a couple weeks ago and when my friend asked for the fresh stuff that just literally stopped popping instead of the already packed stuff, the guy went out of his way to get the fresh stuff for her and he was totally cool about it.
Old 10-24-08, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by cdollaz
Yeah, where are these theaters that are forcing people to buy their food?
My thoughts exactly.
Old 10-24-08, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Give me a way to shut up the idiots ruining my theater experience, then I will pick up my crap.
Yep.
Old 10-24-08, 02:18 AM

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
I was at an AMC a couple weeks ago and when my friend asked for the fresh stuff that just literally stopped popping instead of the already packed stuff, the guy went out of his way to get the fresh stuff for her and he was totally cool about it.
Is your friend attractive?
Old 10-24-08, 04:53 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by hitmanjules
Is your friend attractive?

HAH!!! I knew this would come up and the answer is No.
Old 11-02-08, 09:08 PM

Originally Posted by iamiam
If the price is too high, don't buy it. You don't like the practice, don't go. This is America, home of the free. If enough people supported your view, theaters will change. Crying about it does absolutely nothing.
Old 11-03-08, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by iamiam
It's admirable that you think it'll work that way. But how have theaters responded to declining ticket sales in recent years? 30 minutes of commercials before the trailers and higher ticket prices.
Old 11-03-08, 11:09 AM
Needs to contact an admin about multiple accounts

Originally Posted by chuckd21
It's admirable that you think it'll work that way. But how have theaters responded to declining ticket sales in recent years? 30 minutes of commercials before the trailers and higher ticket prices.
If you could raise the price 10% and lose 5% of your customers would you do it? Of course, that's just capitalism at work. Would advertisers continue to buy time if no one came to the movies?