Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

So I'm watching Halloween II...

Old 10-31-08, 09:40 PM

So I'm watching Halloween II...

Doing my Halloween tradtion of watching Halloween And Halloween II back to back and I see something I never noticed before. During H2 there is a scene with a mother and son arriving at the hospital ER. They get out of the car and the boy is holding a towl up to his bloody mouth. I've scene this movie at least a dozen times and I never really thought too much about this scene. I always just figured he fell and and busted-up his mouth, maybe broke a tooth or two, but this time I see what is really wrong. His mom asks him to lower the towl to take a look and there is a friggin razor blade stuck in his mouth! I did one of those 'WTF double takes' and scanned back to see if that was in fact what I saw and sure enough when I paused it there was the blade sticking out of his mouth.

Am I the only one who didn't know this?!
Old 10-31-08, 09:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan View Post
Doing my Halloween tradtion of watching Halloween And Halloween II back to back and I see something I never noticed before. During H2 there is a scene with a mother and son arriving at the hospital ER. They get out of the car and the boy is holding a towl up to his bloody mouth. I've scene this movie at least a dozen times and I never really thought too much about this scene. I always just figured he fell and and busted-up his mouth, maybe broke a tooth or two, but this time I see what is really wrong. His mom asks him to lower the towl to take a look and there is a friggin razor blade stuck in his mouth! I did one of those 'WTF double takes' and scanned back to see if that was in fact what I saw and sure enough when I paused it there was the blade sticking out of his mouth.

Am I the only one who didn't know this?!
That's funny, because when I think of H2 that kid-with-the-blade-in-his-mouth is one of the visuals that comes to mind for me - even though it's essentially a throwaway scene. I guess it just struck me a certain way.

Go figure...
Old 10-31-08, 09:55 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by 12thmonkey View Post
That's funny, because when I think of H2 that kid-with-the-blade-in-his-mouth is one of the visuals that comes to mind for me - even though it's essentially a throwaway scene. I guess it just struck me a certain way.

Go figure...
Same for me. When I was a kid, I was always told not to take apples while trick or treating because something like that could happen. That scene has always stuck with me because of that connection.
Old 11-01-08, 07:14 AM
Challenge Guru & Comic Nerd

Yep, it was a great shout-out to that apple/razor blade (hopefully) urban legend.
Old 11-01-08, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

There was an investigation done nationwide about the 'poisoned candy' and 'glass/razor blade candy' stuff that has been the lore of Halloween for decades.

They were unable to find a single instance of that anywhere in America. Literally not one actual example could be found. By checking both law enforcement and medical/hospital records they were unable to find a single instance.

It's the stuff of urban legend.

I noticed the razor in the kid's mouth the first time and that scene stuck with me.

Last edited by Dr Mabuse; 11-01-08 at 04:04 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-01-08, 10:13 AM

I think part of the reason I always just kinda skipped over the scene is because the mom isn't really too freaked out about it. She's sorta nonchalant about the whole thing. I know if one of my kids had a razor blade stuck in their mouth I'd be hysterical.

Now I can't get that image out of my head. I cringe everytime I think about it.
Old 11-01-08, 11:09 AM

A little off point. I don't care how small a town is. There is no way that hospital should look like a closed shop after hours. Are there hospitals(not clinics mind you) out there in america that has only a staff of 4 or 5 including security in the after hours? Pretty big hospital too.
Old 11-01-08, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Rainet View Post
A little off point. I don't care how small a town is. There is no way that hospital should look like a closed shop after hours. Are there hospitals(not clinics mind you) out there in america that has only a staff of 4 or 5 including security in the after hours? Pretty big hospital too.
Wait a second! You found an error in a horror film?!

Seriously though, that and other hospital errors always bug me too. I work in a fairly large hospital, but once worked in a tiny clinic no bigger than a single family home. Even there, on the night shift with almost no patient traffic, there were always at least 7 or so people on duty. A hospital that size would have dozens if not 100+ on a night shift.
Old 11-01-08, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I seen this Gem Halloween 2 so many times that I can recall so many lines.

And I have the Flim Score to boot.
Old 11-03-08, 01:34 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I prefer Halloween 3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j_oKZ9sexo4

Man I love that song!!!!
Old 11-03-08, 02:13 PM

If you ignore the title and treat it as just a random horror film, Halloween 3 is actually pretty good, probably better than all the sequels and the remake.
Old 11-03-08, 02:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by EdTheRipper View Post
Same for me. When I was a kid, I was always told not to take apples while trick or treating because something like that could happen. That scene has always stuck with me because of that connection.
Me too.
Old 11-03-08, 02:56 PM

I wouldn't take apples while treat or treating when I was a kid either. Not because of that movie but because APPLES FUCKING SUCK. I'd rather get a rock.