Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Search this Thread

Old 03-12-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts
Re: Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Originally Posted by jpoppe
Director's comments regarding this issue:

Spoiler:

I can't find the interview but I am almost positive I read somewhere that the director had said he couldn't understand why viewers would assume the father was gay. He is merely an alcoholic and that is probably what broke up the marriage and why Oskar does not live with him. The "friend" is simply that--a friend (aka drinking buddy).

edit:

Here's the link

Well it was odd because the friend looked like some ruff neck neighbor who stopped by to get drunk. But then there was that whole awkwardness. Oskar looking around. The father looking skiddish.

Old 03-12-09, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Yeah, it came off like that because it seemed like more was going to go on.
Old 03-12-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by TBurgler
Foreigners just don't get it sometimes, you're shit has to make sense.
I assume you're being a troll, but I think foreigners would argue that Americans should be able to figure things out without having to have things spelled out for us in minute detail as if we're idiots.
Old 03-12-09, 06:18 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by The Bus
Yeah, it came off like that because it seemed like more was going to go on.
I agree. They felt like much more than drinking buddies. Especially since the father seemed to be paying much more attention to the buddy than to Oskar.
Old 03-14-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Amazing movie, I'm just blown away.

Just got done finishing this movie, wow. It was amazing.

Got a question:

Spoiler:

When Oskar was peeking on Eli changing and saw what looked to be a vagina with a scar. I was wondering what the significance of that was... was it just another weird thing about her? Or was there something else? I'm guessing I probably missed something.
Old 03-15-09, 12:16 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt

Just got done finishing this movie, wow. It was amazing.

Got a question:

Spoiler:

When Oskar was peeking on Eli changing and saw what looked to be a vagina with a scar. I was wondering what the significance of that was... was it just another weird thing about her? Or was there something else? I'm guessing I probably missed something.
this is literally the most asked thing in this thread...
Old 03-15-09, 02:12 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
this is literally the most asked thing in this thread...
Went back and read some of the replies... I think I'm even more creeped out.
Spoiler:
I figured "I'm not a girl" meant "I'm a vampire" uh...
Old 03-15-09, 10:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 85 Likes on 62 Posts

I watched this last night and absolutely loved it!

I didn't notice the
Spoiler:
scar on the vagina, and also assumed that the "I'm not a girl" part indicated that she was a vampire. Of course, now that I know there's a scar there, a whole new can of worms has been opened.

Great flick, and I wish more of them came my way more often.
Old 03-15-09, 01:12 PM
Inane Thread Master, 2018 TOTY

Received 920 Likes on 776 Posts

excellent, slow boiling horror/thriller with the perfect amount of original gore (with the one scene done so much better than
Spoiler:
"The Dark Knight"
and i am sure done with only a shoe string budget to boot) and a story that is so original and breath taking that it will stay with you long after the movie is over.
Old 03-15-09, 01:15 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Question:

Spoiler:
So what's the scar on her vagina?
Old 03-15-09, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Question:

Spoiler:
Spoiler:
i think it is because vampires have no need for reproductive or urinary systems, so it was probably genitally mutilated as a custom or perhaps self-mutilated as an indication that she wasn't truly a she or dried up as part of the vampiric process and then sewn up
Old 03-15-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

re: scar
Spoiler:
That wasn't a vagina. That was a scar from when HIS dick was cut off and he was made a EUNUCH. She is a HE. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eunuch
Old 03-15-09, 01:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Daytripper
Question:

Spoiler:
Here's what happens in the book I got this from AV Maniacs forum:

Spoiler:
Eli's full name is Elias. Some time after his genital was removed he started using the name Eli since he now felt he had no gender. The book first starts of as Oskar's point of view and he believes Eli is a girl up until he sees him naked. Then the book shifts and is told from Eli's point of view. From then on the book refers to him as a he. Oskar's hesitation with Eli is more or less explained in the terms that he doesn't want to be gay.

Another reason I doubt those people have read the book is the fact that Eli did not castrate himself. At one point in the book Oskar sees Eli's past through a flashback when they kiss. In the flashbacks (200 years ago) he sits at a table with some other children having a meal. A man with a wig sits also sits at the table. He's drinking something resembling blood.

Eli's mother is also there standing against a wall. The man throws 2 dices, and then counts all the children according to what the dice says. The two dices show 4 and 2 meaning the fourth child from one side of the table and the second from the other. The boy next to Eli is number 2. For some reason the man still picks Eli. When he does this the dice magically changes to 3. We're never told why.

At this moment his mother, visually distressed and crying makes an attempt at grabbing him in order to escape. She doesn't succeed and Eli is taken to another room where he's strapped to a table with a hole in the middle. A guy with a disgusting grin on his face takes a bowl and cuts off his genitals and lets the blood pour down in the bowl. The man in the wig drinks the blood from the bowl. The word genital is used in plural to describe that it's both his penis and testes that are cut of and not to make it more ambiguous. I must admit though that I have no idea what exact word is used in the English translation as I’ve only read the book in Swedish.

I just read just now that the director of the film views the character as something in between. He changed that aspect for the film.
Old 03-15-09, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by scott1598
i dunno about that. even though she was young, she did have a slightly visible chest area.
That's because Elias is played by a girl, scott.
Old 03-15-09, 02:38 PM

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
That's because Elias is played by a girl, scott.
yes, i know. if he/she was supposed to be a boy they should have done something to mask that.
Old 03-15-09, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Just watched this on BD this afternoon. Before I had a discussion with a friend of mine about the "secret" of the film, I told him
Spoiler:
I thought the love story between Oskar and Eli reminded me of The Crying Game. The connection and intimacy between the two kids seemed the same as the connection between Stephen Rea and Jaye Davidson. Like others, I assumed the line "I'm not a girl" meant Eli was a vampire. I never would have guessed Eli's "father" was some pedophile.

I loved this movie. Check it out on Blu-ray if you get a chance.
Old 03-15-09, 10:44 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I had a nightmare from this movie last night. And I never have nightmares.

It's so great to see a movie that has no cheap scares and purely psychological. It reminded me of Silence of the Lambs in a disturbing way.
Old 03-16-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I watched it again last night after having seen it in theaters last year. Definitely such a fantastic film, and being a vampire flick only adds to it's cool. This has to be the most well-shot film on 2008. I love the cinematography. It looks awesome on BD and the sound is equally impressive.
Old 03-16-09, 12:13 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

My Blu-ray should be arriving today.
Old 03-16-09, 12:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Just finished it. It lives up to the hype, loved it. Quite possibly the best modern vampire movie of all time, up there with Near Dark.
Old 03-16-09, 12:48 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
My Blu-ray should be arriving today.
Same here.
Old 03-16-09, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Zen Peckinpah
Just finished it. It lives up to the hype, loved it. Quite possibly the best modern vampire movie of all time, up there with Near Dark.
Absolutely. Near Dark is one of the most underrated vampire films ever. This one joins it in my top 5, easily.
Old 03-16-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Absolutely. Near Dark is one of the most underrated vampire films ever. This one joins it in my top 5, easily.
I was also going to say The Lost Boys, Fright Night, and From Dusk Till Dawn were up there, but I was afraid I'd be torn apart. Still, they're completely different movies. All of which I love.
Old 03-16-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

I absolutely loved it...especially in BD. Beautiful, slow, plodding and gory.

The girlfriend, however, was entirely not as enthusiastic as I, which surprised me since she loves the vampire genre.

I'm wondering if guys like this film overall more than the gals. And if so, why?
Old 03-16-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Dan1boy
I'm wondering if guys like this film overall more than the gals. And if so, why?
because it isn't anything like twilight.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.