Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-08, 12:48 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Got to see this over the weekend with my girlfriend.

Easily my favorite film of 2008.
Old 11-10-08, 10:17 AM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Sanjuro37
One of the best films of the year (of the ones I've seen, obviously). Haunting, beautiful and, apart from

Spoiler:
the absurd cat sequence

it was nearly perfect. The two kids were dynamite, and the story was simple and moving.The cinematography is the best I've seen this year.
Spoiler:
yes, I agree that scene had me laughing and the use of cgi was a tad blatant
Old 11-10-08, 10:47 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts
Alright, now that we have some critical mass, I feel like it's worthwhile asking this question:

Spoiler:

I loved the ending, mainly because it raises questions. Was the serial killer / Eli's caretaker previously romantically involved with her? If so, is this Oskar's fate?

What's the advantage for Oskar for not turning? If he's going not to live with his (gay?) father, how is he going to live by himself? He's a child after all. Or are they simply running away without any plan?

I personally would've ended the movie with the last shot of snowfall after the pool sequence, leaving it ambiguous. But the train shot probably raises more questions, so I ended up liking that ending more.
Old 11-10-08, 03:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Spoiler:
I brought this up earlier. I do think that the elderly man was originally in the same position as Oskar. I don't think she's planning to turn Oskar, because he wouldn't be any more effective than she is, also being a 12 year old. Maybe she will when he's an adult, but somehow I doubt it.

I don't think they're running away to the father's. The last scene with him made it clear that Oskar is not comfortable with his dad's gay relationship. I think they're going to set up in some other town and do something similar to what she had going with the older guy.

Personally, I love the ending on the train, because it really does bring up a load of questions that most other endings wouldn't.
Old 11-10-08, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts
Has it been mentioned anywhere..

Spoiler:
What Oskar taps in Morse Code to Eli inside of the box on the train? Also what Eli taps back?
Old 11-10-08, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by asianxcore
Has it been mentioned anywhere..

Spoiler:
What Oskar taps in Morse Code to Eli inside of the box on the train? Also what Eli taps back?
I neither speak Swedish or know Morse code well enough to decipher after one viewing what he was tapping, but
Spoiler:
I've read that it was the Swedish word "puss" which roughly translates to "kiss."
Old 11-16-08, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I watched this recently, a fantastic picture aside from one or two things which have already been mentioned.

Here is a very interesting interview with the director. Beware, it has tons of spoilers and information on the backstory, not to mention explanations of a few things that totally changes an aspect of the film which the director intended (since it was originally in the book), but wasn't totally dived into in the film itself:

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38870
Old 11-16-08, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Wow. Finally

Spoiler:
the "vagina" scene

makes sense. I saw this a second time this weekend with my younger, Twilight-obsessed sister. She really liked it.

There's a lot of stuff I missed the first time but this movie also seems slightly slower the second time around.
Old 11-16-08, 09:37 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Location: Where the sky is always Carolina Blue! (Currently VA - again...)
Originally Posted by The Bus
Wow. Finally

Spoiler:
the "vagina" scene

makes sense. I saw this a second time this weekend with my younger, Twilight-obsessed sister. She really liked it.

There's a lot of stuff I missed the first time but this movie also seems slightly slower the second time around.
Well about that spoiler (and the one in the interview) - that really was one of the weirdest scenes in the movie - totally removed any real sexual tension that was present from earlier - ie bed scene.
Old 11-23-08, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus
Wow. Finally

Spoiler:
the "vagina" scene

makes sense.
Well, I still don't quite get it. This is the one thing in the film that made no sense to me. Is this a logical metaphor that matches the rest of the film?
Spoiler:
At the time I saw it, my assumption was that maybe she'd been embalmed and "sewn up" top prevent leakage (odd that 'Buffy' vamps never had to deal with embalming issues, huh?). Of course, she DID tell Oskar that she wasn't dead (but she also told him that she wasn't a girl, and I assumed she wasn't speaking literally; she's not a girl but she is female - she's not dead because she's moving around).

Last edited by wergo; 11-23-08 at 10:42 PM.
Old 11-29-08, 12:49 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

This is now in IMDB's Top 250, currently in the 180s, along with The Dark Knight and Wall-E; it is above In Bruges and Iron Man.
Old 11-29-08, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Yeah, the cats are terrible.

I love kids. There is something really genuine about the way kids interact and regard one another, all expressed in silences when they're just looking at one another or observing an event. It's hard to know what goes into their decision making processes, but that was at the heart of what I loved about both this and Slumdog Millionaire, watching kids interact.
Old 11-30-08, 04:30 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Fascinating, amazing, superb, all of the above. So glad to actually see it theatrically.
Old 11-30-08, 06:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I watched this a few days ago and it's been growing on me ever since.

As others have mentioned, the actress who played Eli gave a great performance.

And the ending is perfect.

There were a few scenes that didn't really work, but overall this was a really fantastic film and one I plan to revisit in the near future.
Old 11-30-08, 06:12 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Not available in my area, I really want to see it. Will sadly wait for the DVD. Based on the features and price I will determine when I will buy it.
Old 12-08-08, 12:02 AM

Caught it tonight in Pasadena to a pretty full audience. Thought it was great. Some scenes went a little off, but I still thought it was a really well-rounded movie.
Old 12-08-08, 12:14 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I'm assuming California from your location and NOT Texas...damn it. Well at least I can see Milk Thursday in Houston.
Old 12-08-08, 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
I'm assuming California from your location and NOT Texas...damn it. Well at least I can see Milk Thursday in Houston.
Yes, sorry.
Old 12-08-08, 10:09 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC
Not available in my area, I really want to see it. Will sadly wait for the DVD. Based on the features and price I will determine when I will buy it.
They have been showing it at the Angelika (downtown houston) for a couple weeks now, but it's probably going to be gone after thursday since there is only a 10:15pm show.
Old 12-24-08, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm extremely late to this party as I just caught the flick last night.

Despite the cat scene (ugh) as already mentioned, this is the best horror film of the year. I love films that make the audience question what they just saw and the questions that my friends and I were bringing up right afterwards really drove home what kind of film we just witnessed.

As already mentioned in the thread, but with a twist...
Spoiler:
My friends and I did discuss if Eli's father was really just another person Eli befriended; but what about the rings inside the egg? There was a lengthy debate which half of us argued that it was just items Eli stole when she killed people or if it was rings of her previous "lovers." During that scene Oskar asks Eli how she got the money and she responds back with, "They gave it to me."
Old 12-28-08, 03:16 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Eli's father ...

Spoiler:
was not a previous lover that got old/too old to do his job anymore (or maybe his heart wasn't in it and he was subliminally sabotaging himself?). I thought that, too. But in the book, according to those that read it, "he's a pedophile teacher that gets outed some years before the events in the book/film and Eli finds him when he is down and out, and makes him a servant of sorts with an implied and never fulfilled promise of a sexual relationship. He does what he does because he loves Eli and sometimes get to sleep next to him/her and hopes to one day realize his love to him/her. Eli it seems has no intent of ever letting that happen but kind of strings him along to get what she/he needs: Someone who can act as an adult caretaker as to not raise suspicion and to help get blood so Eli doesn't risk getting outed." (source, AICN talkbacker, Supernaut242)

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/38870

Eli and "that scene" ...

Spoiler:
Eli is actually a boy. What you are looking at is his scar/stitches of where his genitalia used to be. I didn't pick up on that either when I watched it. Eli mentions a couple of times that he is not a girl, I just assumed she meant in the Anne Rice sense where vampires are sexless once turned. But again, it's all explained in better detail, with back story, in the novel (supposedly, as I have not read it). Source, same AICN article, director's interview answers.
Old 12-28-08, 04:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Wait...

Spoiler:
Eli is a BOY!?

That adds a whole other level of creepiness to the story. The more I think about it, the more I like this film, and I'd put it on my top 10 list for the year.
Old 01-03-09, 10:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Wait...

Spoiler:
Eli is a BOY!?

That adds a whole other level of creepiness to the story. The more I think about it, the more I like this film, and I'd put it on my top 10 list for the year.
Yeah I agree 100%... I kept thinking and thinking and my wife and I, even today just kept asking each other, what the fuck? But damn that didnt cross my mind, and Im usually good about picking up on shit. Definetly top 10 this year. Great movie!!
Old 01-03-09, 10:43 PM

This film maybe....
Spoiler:
Succumbed to Cats? Melted the patient?
Old 01-05-09, 03:05 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Let the Right One In (Alfredson, 2008) — Swedish romantic horror vampire film

I loved this. I even liked the cat scenes and that whole subplot... it reminded me of 70s/early 80s Dario Argento.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.