DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Most Overrated Pixar Movie (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/540056-most-overrated-pixar-movie.html)

iamiam 09-22-08 10:22 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser (Post 8954637)
Why do people even bother saying "in your opinion"? Of COURSE it's his opinion. It's freakin' IMPLIED. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

In your opinion obviously.

Hokeyboy 09-23-08 12:25 AM

Originally Posted by iamiam (Post 8956278)
In your opinion obviously.

Jim Shooter never liked you; he won't be calling. :mad:

milo bloom 09-23-08 09:47 AM

I know a lot of people online don't care for Cars, but outside IRL (in real life), it's pretty popular. They're even making "expanded universe" toys to keep the merchandising fresh.

But for me, it just didn't do it for me and I've never even seen Doc Hollywood.

We used to watch the heck out of A Bug's Life, it's just hard to find time to watch anything these days, my unwatched pile is massive.

Ephemeral_Life 09-23-08 04:43 PM

I think they are all overrated, at least the ones I have seen. They all follow the same basic formula: Though some circumstance, character x is removed from his/her everyday environment and enters a world new to him/him. It gets old after a while. They are still good movies, but I don't get the sheer amount of high praise they get from every segment of society.

Nemo was my least favorite (Ellen De Generes...:down:), while Cars, despite the fact that I despise the NASCAR racing "culture", was probably my favorite.

shizawn 09-23-08 04:52 PM

I voted none. I enjoyed Cars the least, but it has grown on me a bit.

Sondheim 09-23-08 07:23 PM

I too voted for the "None of them are overrated" option. "A Bug's Life" and "Cars" are my least favorite, but I think that pretty much represents the opinion of most critics/audiences. I love every other one of their films (and the aforementioned two are still really good films, in my opinion.)

tanman 09-24-08 03:29 AM

Originally Posted by abrg923 (Post 8951129)
Definitely The Incredibles...bored me to tears.

Wow, I seriously don't see how a 90 minute cartoon can bore anyone to tears. They only cartoon I can think of that can be described as boring is the first Fantasia.

Jay G. 09-24-08 07:50 AM

Originally Posted by tanman (Post 8959174)
Wow, I seriously don't see how a 90 minute cartoon can bore anyone to tears.

Although I loved the Incredibles, playing devil's advocate for a minute I must point out that the film was nearly 2 hours long (115 min), not 90 minutes.

rexinnih 09-24-08 07:51 AM

I've enjoyed every one so far. Some more than others but enjoyed all.

B.A. 09-24-08 08:30 AM

Cars.

Daytripper 09-24-08 09:50 AM

I don't think any of them are overrated. "Cars" might be the one I enjoyed the least, but it's still a good film. With beautiful animation. And I'd watch that endlessly over anything from Dreamworks. And IMO, "Toy Story 2" is Pixar's crowning achievement.

iggystar 09-24-08 10:05 AM

I really didn't care for Ratatouille at all and I'm a Pixar fan who enjoyed Cars quite a bit.

madcougar 09-24-08 01:39 PM

Finding Nemo. Ugh. I hate that movie.

Kal-El 09-24-08 03:56 PM

Crapatouille. Only Pixar film I didn't see in theaters and turned the DVD off it was so bad. Which I guess makes it Brad Bird's most overrated movie too.

SleepyW 09-24-08 05:06 PM

Cars. Just a cartoon rehash of Doc Hollywood. Expected more originality than that. Ratatouille was boring, but never really hyped as anything great. Haven't seen WALL-E.

riley_dude 09-24-08 05:47 PM

Monsters Inc and Cars.

MoviePage 09-24-08 06:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life (Post 8958153)
They all follow the same basic formula: Though some circumstance, character x is removed from his/her everyday environment and enters a world new to him/him.

Welcome to the wonderful world of storytelling. Glad you could join us!

MoviePage 09-24-08 06:51 PM

Originally Posted by Kal-El (Post 8960571)
Crapatouille. Only Pixar film I didn't see in theaters and turned the DVD off it was so bad.

I agree. I also disliked Crap Story, Crapsters Inc., A Crap's Life, Craps, The Incrapibles, Finding Crapo, and, most recently, CRAP-E.

fumanstan 09-24-08 07:01 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage (Post 8960971)
I agree. I also disliked Crap Story, Crapsters Inc., A Crap's Life, Craps, The Incrapibles, Finding Crapo, and, most recently, CRAP-E.

:lol:

movieking 09-24-08 07:55 PM

Definitely The Incredibles IMO. Cars was overrated as well, but to me, the worst Pixar flick was Incredibles.

DarthMarino 09-24-08 10:08 PM

Originally Posted by movielib (Post 8951621)
I would have said none of them are overrated... until Wall-E.

My thoughts exactly.

Ephemeral_Life 09-24-08 11:01 PM

Originally Posted by MoviePage (Post 8960967)
Welcome to the wonderful world of storytelling. Glad you could join us!

I realize it's one of the most common plot drivers out there, and it can make for extremely enjoyable cinema. I just don't enjoy Pixar's versions nearly as much as some others. They are extremely emotion-driven, and if you don't respond to most of the built-in "feeling-cues", they fall a bit flat.

They're good cartoons; I just don't quite get the Pixar-mania they have spawned.

Jon2 09-25-08 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life (Post 8961434)
I realize it's one of the most common plot drivers out there, and it can make for extremely enjoyable cinema.

It's called "The Odyssey" plot line... the basic plot of every story written since Homer's time.

Originally Posted by Ephemeral_Life (Post 8961434)
I just don't enjoy Pixar's versions nearly as much as some others. They are extremely emotion-driven, and if you don't respond to most of the built-in "feeling-cues", they fall a bit flat.

They're good cartoons; I just don't quite get the Pixar-mania they have spawned.

I would say you probably don't "get" Disney-mania, either. Since that's where Pixar has taken their movie making cues from. All of Disney's classic animation uses these "feeling-cues" you mention, but Bambi and Dumbo are the most obvious.

Although, to think about, don't all movies do this, since their purpose is to get you involved with the characters?

harrydoyle 09-26-08 10:12 AM

I would've voted cars but it was never rated high to begin with. Wall-E gets my vote for being so "critically acclaimed" but ended up being quite boring but with great graphics. But I kind of expect that from any Pixar flick.