DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Most Overrated Pixar Movie (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/540056-most-overrated-pixar-movie.html)

mndtrp 09-20-08 05:17 PM

I didn't really care for The Incredibles, so that gets my vote.

Deftones 09-20-08 05:18 PM

I haven't seen Wall-E yet, but after watching Rattatouille, I'd say that one.

ken_572002 09-20-08 06:57 PM

Cars...very over-rated movie.

TheMovieman 09-20-08 07:08 PM

The Incredibles. I know a lot of people loved it but I was really disappointed.

Palaver 09-21-08 08:37 AM

Went with Incredibles. It was a good film and all. But it just doesn't have the replay value that the others have. Having a two year old in the house, replay value cannot be overstated.

asianxcore 09-21-08 01:56 PM

Wall-E

Originally Posted by calhoun07 (Post 8950917)
Wall-E. Beautiful animation, but it dropped the ball on compelling story telling and there's only so much I can take of the two robots constantly going "WALLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE" and "EVAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA" for 90 minutes.

Christ, the movie sucked. The most disappointing overrated movie I've seen since Juno.

Randy Miller III 09-21-08 02:15 PM

Definitely The Incredibles, though I actually haven't seen A Bug's Life yet. I enjoy Pixar movies, comics and Brad Bird's other films, but this one just didn't do it for me.

MoviePage 09-21-08 04:35 PM

Cars is the weakest Pixar movie, but since most everyone recognizes that fact, I wouldn't call it overrated.

The Incredibles is very good, but I've never understood why it's the favorite of so many people, so that gets my vote.

Oh, and Finding Nemo is a timeless classic. :)

Quack 09-21-08 04:41 PM

I gotta say The Incredibles....just don't really see why so many people like it so much.....that's just me though :P

Zen Peckinpah 09-21-08 05:02 PM

Finding Nemo. Boring, overhyped, and features Ellen DeGeneres voicing the most annoying Pixar character of all time, which kills the presence of Albert Brooks and Willem Dafoe doing other voices. Though I LOVED WALL-E.

hardercore 09-21-08 05:06 PM

Wall-E, Ratatouille and The Incredibles are in a different league to the other (already great) Pixar films.

abe55 09-21-08 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by hardercore (Post 8953448)
Wall-E, Ratatouille and The Incredibles are in a different league to the other (already great) Pixar films.

In your opinion.

wm lopez 09-21-08 05:41 PM

Originally Posted by Quack (Post 8953418)
I gotta say The Incredibles....just don't really see why so many people like it so much.....that's just me though :P

It's a right-wing all American family values movie so you know a certain group is gonna hate it.

nickdawgy 09-22-08 02:46 AM

Monsters Inc was my least favorite, followed by A Bugs Life.

bunkaroo 09-22-08 08:50 AM

Cars for sure. To me it's not much better than A Bug's Life which is just OK IMO.

Maybe I just don't get the whole "car" culture that the film might appeal to more directly.

Also, anything with "Larry The Cable Guy" gets an automatic downgrade in my view.

B5Erik 09-22-08 09:24 AM

Originally Posted by abrg923 (Post 8951129)
Definitely The Incredibles...bored me to tears.

I take it you don't like Bond movies or Superhero movies (or comic books)?

For my money The Incredibles is BY FAR the best Pixar movie, and everything else is left in the dust. It's got what IMO is Pixar's best, most sophisticated, most adult-friendly script, and the animation, direction, & voice acting are all excellent.

But that's just my opionion.

Trevor 09-22-08 09:59 AM

The voting is confirming my opinion. Toy Story 1/2 and Bug's Life are miles ahead of the rest, the rest are mixed very good to poor.

Didn't think I agreed with you masses on much, sort of worried actually.....

Hokeyboy 09-22-08 10:12 AM

Originally Posted by abe55 (Post 8953455)
In your opinion.

Why do people even bother saying "in your opinion"? Of COURSE it's his opinion. It's freakin' IMPLIED. Sheesh. :rolleyes:

Sorry, pet peeve of mine.

Anyway, I don't get the INCREDIBLES hate at all, but it's all good.

I don't think any of the PIXAR films are overrated. I think each has strengths (and a few -- but very few -- weaknesses) that give them value. Even CARS. In fact, I would go on to say that I find CARS to be the most **under**-rated Pixar film.

If I had to go with one that was *slightly* over-praised, I might go with either Monsters Inc or Wall-E. Probably MI. And I still love it.

GradVT06 09-22-08 11:20 AM

I would have chosen "No Pixar movie is over-rated" if it wasn't for Finding Nemo. It was just so boring to me. That thing used to be on Starz channels ALL the time and every single time I tried to watch it I fell asleep halfway through. Even after eventually finishing it, I still don't like it that much.

Incredibles is close... it was different and quirky... but although I liked it well enough, I agree w/ someone who said it has very little replay value- I don't really want to watch it again.

Then comes Cars. I loved it, despite knowing that Larry the Cable Guy voiced Mater and I can't stand him. But yeah, loved the storyline, the dialogue, and the animation. And I hate Nascar and don't care about cars a lot. but I loved the movie.

macnorton 09-22-08 11:56 AM

I have seen all but two (Wall-E and Cars) and I do not feel any Pixar film is overrated. They are above and beyond better than most, if not all, the animated films out there. There is something for everyone in their films. In fact, I firmly believe that Pixar films are made for adults with kids in mind and not the other way around. That, for me, gives a lot of credibility.

At the present moment, Ratatouille and The Incredibles are the top two. Followed by both Toy Story's, Monster's Inc, Finding Nemo and A Bug's Life. And even with A Bug's Life at the bottom of my list, it is still a great film (it is a solid 8.5). Having not seen Cars (which seems to polarize people, but it does look like fun, I have always loved cars my entire life) and Wall-E (looks like it is right up my alley and it has a 2001 feel to it), that list will probably change. But I cast my vote for no film being overrated.

ardathbey 09-22-08 12:14 PM

I am def of the camp who voted that none of the Pixar flicks are overrated. I think they all get the appropriate amount of praise/critizism. I also scratched my head for people voting who hadn't seen most of the films. And just because you think one is "the worst" doesn't mean its overrated. They all have to be ranked somewhere in relation to each other. So if Bugs Life is "the worst" (which is my opinion) doesn't necessarily mean its overrated.

Giles 09-22-08 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by ken_572002 (Post 8952108)
Cars...very over-rated movie.

word

so much of it felt so childish and predictable.

also, Wall-E, while critically praised, didn't all out impress me as much as I thought it would.

Shannon Nutt 09-22-08 12:29 PM

I think about half those movies have been overrated to one degree or another...but I went with THE INCREDIBLES. Aside from the 60s spy movie homage, which I appriciated, I found it to be rather UN-Incredible.

darkhawk 09-22-08 08:02 PM

Though choice between none and A Bug's Life. The story was good but Antz was way better. The way they made the ants looks real in Antz and purple, pink and blue ants in Bug's Life with 2 legs and 2 arms.

abe55 09-22-08 10:04 PM

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser (Post 8954637)
Why do people even bother saying "in your opinion"? Of COURSE it's his opinion. It's freakin' IMPLIED. Sheesh. :rolleyes

Honestly, it didn't look like he implied it. But if I'm mistaken, I apologize.