Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Looper (Rian Johnson, 2010): "violent and dark" sci-fi

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Looper (Rian Johnson, 2010): "violent and dark" sci-fi

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-10, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Looper (Rian Johnson, 2010): "violent and dark" sci-fi

Sounds like a really interesting idea, lately JGL has really impressed me, so I'm definitely in for this one.
Old 06-24-10, 05:35 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Yavin
^ I always thought that it was 500 Days of Summer that allowed him to break through.
no....it did probably make him more "mainstream" though...
Old 06-25-10, 01:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll have to watch Brick and (500) Days of Summer; the latter of which I should have seen already due to my love for Zooey Deschanel.

For what little I've seen him in I've always liked Levitt for some reason that I can't exactly put my finger on. I look forward to enjoying him in the aforementioned two flicks and the new Nolan picture (Yay!!!) Inception.
Old 06-25-10, 02:48 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

The title keeps making me think of this:

Old 06-25-10, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Osiris3657
wrong, I feel the same. I hated Brick with a passion but really enjoyed The Brothers Bloom. It redeemed Rian Johnson, so I'll give this film a shot.
Love Brick. Thought Brothers Bloom was a warmed-over Wes Anderson film.
Old 07-30-10, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

here's a bit of an interview that quint from AICN did with bruce willis and they talked about LOOPER:

i decided to spoiler it but nothing major is revealed...
Spoiler:
Quint: That’s great. Now I think you might be working with a friend of mine, Rian Johnson, on his flick Looper…
Bruce Willis: Oh cool, yeah I am. I love that script. Love that script.
Quint: I’m very much looking forward to that.
Bruce Willis: That script is in a handful of scripts that I read and said yes to right away. I was like “This is unbelievable.” It’s really smart and the idea that it’s a big idea of time travel and the first page or second page he says, “Yeah, but it’s not that big a deal. They didn’t invent anything after that, so everybody said ‘Fuck it!’ Time travel!”
Quint: And it’s very illegal, that’s all you’ve got to know.
Bruce Willis: It’s just against the law and it’s so cool. I can’t wait.
Quint: And it’s really dark.
Bruce Willis: Really dark.
Quint: I read it after I had heard that you were going to be involved with it and, in terms of the tone, it reminded me a lot of TWELVE MONKEYS, so I can see where they were able to hook you…
Bruce Willis: Yes. That’s a great call, it really is, and hopefully we can shoot it like that. A guy goes back to kill himself, his own younger self? How is that…. I want to go see it right away.
Quint: And I love the whole concept of being able to track the looper by… or to blackmail them essentially into turning themselves in.
Bruce Willis: You know where you are going to be.
Quint: And suddenly fingers start disappearing and all of that stuff, it’s such a crazy…
Bruce Willis: It’s such a huge leap and yet the story is… I love time travel. It’s really smart and yet it’s not about time travel as much as it is about mistakes you have made and things you don’t want to do and your little childhood self coming near your adult life going “No, you’re not going to do that. I’ve got to fucking kill me.” It’s great, so yeah I’m really excited about that.
Quint: He’s a great shooter. I spent some time on BROTHERS BLOOM, just as a guest on the set watching him work. He is so into it, but he is also so composed and he has everything ready.
Bruce Willis: Oh good. There is a lot that has to be gotten ready for that story, but I can’t wait. I’m really excited about it.
Old 07-31-10, 06:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So it's two years later and they are just now casting this thing? That right?

Sounds great, I'm definitely interested.
Old 12-02-10, 06:04 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slashfilm
Paul Dano (Little Miss Sunshine, There Will Be Blood, Cowboys & Aliens) is in talks to join Brick director Rian Johnson‘s sci-fi thriller Looper, reports Variety. Dano will join Joseph Gordon Levitt (500 Days of Summer, Inception), Bruce Willis and Emily Blunt (The Devil Wears Prada, The Wolfman).

Looper is set in the near future. Time travel doesn’t exist yet, but it will be invented a few decades in the future. It follows a group of killers (called Loopers) who work for a crime syndicate in the future, who send bodies back in time for them to kill and dispose of. This is basically the ultimate way of erasing the evidence, as law enforcement can’t track the bodies once they disappear from the current timeline. Joseph Gordon-Levitt plays a looper in the past, who goes on the run after “complications occur.”

Blunt plays the female lead, a character named Sara who discovers Joe hiding out in her barn. No word on which character Dano will play, although I’d assume it’s either Joe’s friend/co-worker Seth or a young thug named Kid Blue. Bruce Willis plays a looper from the future who, well, I’m not going to ruin it for you.

I must admit, I’ve read an earlier draft of Johnson’s Looper, and all I can say is that we’re all in for a treat. This is the type of movie that plays with the genre conventions in a fun and clever way, without ever making it too complex or confusing to understand. Johnson has described it as being “pretty dark in tone,” and I would agree. Definitely more on the tonal scale of Brick over Brothers Bloom.

Last we heard, the project will begin filming in early 2011 (possibly January). Optimistically, this means the film could be ready in time for the 2012 Sundance Film Festival (Rian premiered Brick at the fest and Levitt is a fest favorite) or maybe even the Cannes Film Festival later that year.
rian johnson's tumblr: http://loopermovie.tumblr.com/
Old 12-02-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I can't take any movie seriously when it's called Looper. All I think of when I read that title is Big Bird on Sesame Street constantly pronouncing Mr. Hooper's name wrong only to be chastised by everybody else.
Old 12-04-10, 05:28 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Argh. Two years wait.
Old 01-18-11, 04:51 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slashfilm.com

If you’re a fan of Shane Carruth‘s one and only and wonderful movie Primer, this photo should put a spring in your step. If you’ve never seen Primer, I suggest checking it out, then looping back here to this post to begin again.

So this is Shane Carruth, aka the writer, director and star of Primer, on the set of Rian Johnson‘s new film Looper. It’s one of the very few images of the director we’ve seen in some time. In September 2009, Rian Johnson said, “Shane is alive and well and has a mind-blowing sci-fi script. Let’s all pray to the movie-gods that he gets it made soon.” That script is A Topiary, for which a teaser website went up last year, but funding is reportedly thin.

Now Shane Carruth is working on Looper, and Badass Digest got confirmation that he’s doing “some effects for the time travel sequences.” Given that Primer is one of the best time travel films ever made, with some great home-made effects, and Looper is a promising time-travel movie from the talented Rian Johnson, it seems that things are coming together nicely. Now let’s get A Topiary funded. Please.
Old 01-18-11, 05:09 AM
Banned

Funny, because when I saw the synopsis on the first page, I immediately thought "Primer". Crazy that he's actually on this now.

Of course, I think I'll be doomed to always think of Primer when thinking of time-travel movies from now on.
Old 01-18-11, 05:37 PM

I remember Rian Johnson saying some time last year that Shane Carruth had his own mind-blowing sci-fi script he was shopping around. Someone on IMDB claims to have read it and posted tons of info, but I haven't spoiled myself.
Old 01-18-11, 05:50 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 154 Likes on 124 Posts

Wait a minute, wait a minute. Who is the Lopper?

Oh, it's no big deal. It's just some guy who's been running around Riverside park-pffff. You know, cutting people's heads off.
Old 01-22-11, 05:38 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by slashfilm.com
Around these parts, Rian Johnson‘s third feature film Looper is one of the most anticipated films of 2011/2012. The sci-fi / time-travel thriller is ready to roll cameras, with Joseph Gordon-Levitt, Bruce Willis, Emily Blunt, Paul Dano and Xu Qing leading the cast in a story about “a group of killers who send bodies of their victims back in time, with China as the centerpiece of the storyline.”

Now Jeff Daniels, Piper Perabo and Noah Segan have signed on as well.
Fans of Rian Johnson’s previous two films, Brick and The Brothers Bloom, will be familiar with Noah Segan, as he played Dode in the former and had a small part as The Duke in the latter. I’d expect that Jeff Daniels and Piper Perabo need no introduction.
Old 01-22-11, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

That is an unbelievable sounding cast. I got chills just thinking about it. Can I time travel to the future and see this today? I wish.
Old 05-15-11, 05:06 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

interesting details on the plot now...very intresting:

via empire:
Set in the near future, when time-travel is possible but very, very illegal, Looper stars Joseph Gordon-Levitt, reteaming with his Brick director, as Joe, a sharp, savvy hitman .

But Joe is no ordinary hitman. The hooded, bound victims he kills are sent back in time from 30 years in the future: he shoots them with a blunderbuss, burns the bodies, and all trace of the crime disappears. Life is pretty good for Joe, until one day a body arrives without a hood: it's his future self, played by Willis. And he's not going down without a fight...
Old 11-10-11, 08:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

early test screening reviews are super positive. here are some non-spoiler excerpts:

Originally Posted by devin at badass digest
Looper represents a major leap for Johnson, a huge step forward in style and scope. It’s smart and funny and thrilling, the kind of science fiction movie that wildly entertains while never shortchanging characters or ideas. Johnson tackles time travel with confidence; at first the rules are waved away, but eventually the ways that time travel works begins to become clear to us. The rules have to work, because Looper is tight as a drum, and any hiccup in how things work would send the story careening.

Looper is set in a strongly sketched future world that’s just about two weeks from today. It’s a film dotted with small details that feel thoroughly thought out, reminding me of what Duncan Jones did with Moon.

There may yet be changes to Looper, but the movie I saw was great. Bigger than Johnson’s last two films, Looper has one thing in common with them – like Brick and Brothers Bloom it’s a film that plays in a genre, but never at the expense of characters. This is an action film, and Johnson proves that not only does he have excellent action chops, he has interesting ideas on how to shoot his action so that it doesn’t look like every other action scene you’ve ever seen. Looper proves that Johnson is ready to move into the big, expensive movie game, and that he has the kind of instincts that might allow him to make a big, expensive movie that’s actually good.
Originally Posted by jeremy smith at AICN
it’s examined in the mainstream-skewing framework of a crackerjack sci-fi/action flick that recalls the genre-blending daring of the ’70s and ’80s. And it’s not just a time travel movie. Just when LOOPER seems to be settling into one type of film, it veers off in another direction, then settles down again, then goes absolutely bonkers without sacrificing clarity of story or theme. This is masterful filmmaking – a stirring reminder that genre entertainment can be both smart and accessible.

LOOPER is an intricately structured story enlivened by Johnson’s trademark wit and wounded romanticism. It’s an invigorating, thrilling, ceaselessly inventive film, a miracle in an era of by-committee studio filmmaking. And while it’s still months from being finished, barring any postproduction monkey business, it’s already a great movie.
Old 12-22-11, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

official release date: 9/28/12
Old 12-22-11, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sept, eh? Guess the studio isn't that confident in it. Those comments have me excited to check it out.
Old 12-22-11, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 216 Likes on 155 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
Sept, eh? Guess the studio isn't that confident in it.
While September doesn't yield huge blockbusters, it's usually when the smarter, better films start showing up. Seems appropriate for a this film.(based on the little info we know about it) It'll have more breathing room than it would've during the summer.
Old 01-02-12, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Johnson tweeted a pic of himself in the film's time machine;

Old 01-04-12, 09:46 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,245 Likes on 856 Posts

So time travel is very, very illegal ... not just frowned upon? I'm glad somebody explained that.

Sounds good ... but how would he know what his future-self looked like?
Old 01-04-12, 10:19 PM
Banned

You're gonna have to ask me to suspend a ton of disbelief if you expect me to believe that JGL will end up looking like Bruce Willis when he's old.
Old 01-05-12, 12:10 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
You're gonna have to ask me to suspend a ton of disbelief if you expect me to believe that JGL will end up looking like Bruce Willis when he's old.
Same thing I was thinking.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.