DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Revolutionary Road (Mendes, 2008): Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/539652-revolutionary-road-mendes-2008-leonardo-dicaprio-kate-winslet.html)

NoirFan 09-14-08 12:51 PM

Revolutionary Road (Mendes, 2008): Leonardo DiCaprio, Kate Winslet

Didn't see a thread for this one. IMDB:

A young couple living in a Connecticut suburb during the mid-1950s struggle to come to terms with their personal problems while trying to raise their two children. Based on a novel by Richard Yates.
Full synopsis, with spoilers:

April and Frank Wheeler are a young, thriving couple living with their two children in a Connecticut suburb in the mid-1950s. Their self-assured exterior masks a creeping frustration at their inability to feel fulfilled in their relationships or careers. Frank is mired in a well-paying but boring office job, and April is a housewife still mourning the demise of her hoped-for acting career.
Spoiler:
Determined to identify themselves as superior to the mediocre sprawl of suburbanites who surround them, they decide to move to France where they will be better able to develop their true artistic sensibilities, free of the consumerist demands of capitalist America. As their relationship deteriorates into an endless cycle of squabbling, jealousy and recriminations, their trip and their dreams of self-fulfillment are thrown into jeopardy.

Director:
Sam Mendes
Writers:
Justin Haythe (screenplay)
Richard Yates (novel)

http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...h1/photo01.jpghttp://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...070530-leo.jpg http://i226.photobucket.com/albums/d...-08preview.jpg

Trailer of sorts- annoying Entertainment Tonight bimbo blathering over half the footage.

Supermallet 09-14-08 12:52 PM

Ohmygoditsatitanicreunion!

Zen Peckinpah 09-14-08 04:34 PM

In for the director and cast. Sounds like American Beauty or Little Children in the 50's.

NoirFan 09-21-08 08:33 PM

Trailer, sans babbling reporter.

hardercore 09-22-08 07:08 AM

Leo and Kate are among my favourite actors, Mendes is a competent director, and the film looks gorgeous. I'm definitely there.

The Bus 10-02-08 05:19 PM

<a href="http://movies.yahoo.com/premieres/9951304/standardformat/">Trailer</a> in non-Squint-O-Vision.

hapgilmore 10-08-08 11:52 AM

I can't wait for this, Sam Mendes has yet to make a bad film. American Beauty is the best film of the past 10 years and Road to Perdition was also excellent. Jarhead isn't as good as those, but for someone who doesn't like war movies, I thought it was great.

By the way, is it me or does that music towards the beginning and end of that trailer sound like its from Halloween?

NoirFan 11-14-08 05:12 PM

Second trailer for the film.

NoirFan 11-18-08 05:30 PM

Watch four clips from the film.

NoirFan 11-24-08 08:36 PM

Variety review:

"Revolutionary Road" is a very good bigscreen adaptation of an outstanding American novel -- faithful, intelligent, admirably acted, superbly shot. It also offers a near-perfect case study of the ways in which film is incapable of capturing certain crucial literary qualities, in this case the very things that elevate the book from being a merely insightful study of a deteriorating marriage into a remarkable one. Sam Mendes' fourth feature reps what many people look for in the realm of serious, grown-up, thoughtful film fare and, led by the powerful performances of Leonardo DiCaprio and Kate Winslet, teaming for the first time since "Titanic," Paramount Vantage should be able to push this sad tale to a potent commercial career among discriminating audiences.

Mr. Cinema 11-25-08 09:20 AM

Rave reviews are starting to pop up. Looks like Michael Shannon is a lock for a Supporting nomination. This one is high on my watch list.

Zodiac_Speaking 11-25-08 02:22 PM

Same here, Mr. Cinema. Is it opening wide or in limited soon?

NoirFan 12-14-08 10:04 AM

Six clips

chris_sc77 12-18-08 07:22 PM

Originally Posted by Zodiac_Speaking (Post 9094223)
Same here, Mr. Cinema. Is it opening wide or in limited soon?

Looks like only on 3 treaters when it opens on the 25th. Paramount really should have opened this up last Friday on the 12th. All it would have been going up against was The DAy the Earth Stood Still. Seems like it would have done well up against that one but what do I know. It sucks we will be having to wait longer but I guess it depend upon how well it does in limited release and the The Oscar nominations before this one goes as wide as it will go I would imagine.

hapgilmore 12-22-08 09:49 AM

anyone know when this is going wide?

redrum 12-24-08 05:57 PM

dvd screener is out

Arpeggi 12-24-08 06:46 PM

Seeing this at the Arclight on Friday.

JPRaup 12-25-08 02:00 AM

Damn, this surprised me, VERY good. It has a PERFECT ending, which I was scared it might not as the film went on, but one question:

Spoiler:
WHERE DO THE KIDS GO ALL DAY?

9/10

hardercore 12-26-08 05:27 AM

:5star:

I was awed and blown away by Revolutionary Road, for me the best film of 2008 that I've seen thus far, and we're coming to the end of them. It is a beautifully composed melodrama where not a single flinch or gesture goes wasted in adding to the existential despair of these two characters. DiCaprio and Winslet are, undoubtedly, the best I have ever seen them. I was totally gripped and ultimately left devastated by the time the final credits rolled. By far Mendes' most powerful work.

Buttmunker 12-26-08 12:28 PM

I'm a huge fan of both. Do DiCaprio and Winslet smoke in real life?

NoirFan 12-26-08 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 9156464)
I'm a huge fan of both. Do DiCaprio and Winslet smoke in real life?

Yes, both smoke. Winslet is also smokin'. Smokin' hot that is! Heh.

LickTheABCs 12-27-08 01:32 PM

I liked it. Didn't think it was the best of the year, by far, but still liked it. Should have renamed the film "For Your Consideration", though. I'd say Michael Shannon was good, but it looked like he was just channeling his character from "Bug" during is very limited screen-time.

CloverClover 12-27-08 02:10 PM

I agree, liked it but didn't love it, I liked Little Children from a couple years ago better, because it was 'fresher'. In this, Winslet overacted, maybe she was too comfortable being directed by her husband. Leo was more consistent and solid, at times he was clearly inspired by Jack Nicholson. I liked the crazy guy's performance, and how he sucked the energy out of these two iconic actors, but he was also saying very obvious things... true as they were, it struck me as cheap writing. At the end

Spoiler:
when Kathy Bates is knitting and gossiping, and the husband tunes her out, it is played off as a highly dramatic moment, but this is sillier than dramatic. it's not like gossip/old lady jabber is specific to this time period, I am sure every old man has tuned out to their SO going on and on, it isn't as meaningful as the movie thinks it is and certainly not a scathing indictment of the era it tries to be as the last shot of the movie

LickTheABCs 12-27-08 04:01 PM

Originally Posted by NoirFan (Post 9156467)
Yes, both smoke. Winslet is also smokin'. Smokin' hot that is! Heh.

Yes, 'specially in these pics.

Arpeggi 12-27-08 04:27 PM

Great film and fantastic performances by DiCaprio and Winslet.