Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (D: Liebesman; S: Fox, Arnett, Fichtner)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (D: Liebesman; S: Fox, Arnett, Fichtner)

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (D: Liebesman; S: Fox, Arnett, Fichtner)

Originally Posted by Mike86
Saw it tonight and I didn't really care for it much at all. I know the film is made by Nickelodeon and the target audience for it is kids, but I just felt like this was way too kid friendly and personally to me it didn't really work like I wanted it to. The plot was paper thin and it barely felt like anything happened in the movie at all. Just action sequence after action sequence. The Foot Clan didn't feel like much of a threat and the same goes for Shredder. The entire final battle was just meh. Overall I'd probably give this film a 2 out of 5. There are some fun moments and the Turtles themselves weren't terribly portrayed and seemed to embody the spirits of the characters but on a whole the film just feels largely forgettable.
Doesn't really bode well, but oh well. I'm guessing Nickeloden is eyeing a sequel already.
Old 08-08-14, 10:41 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (D: Liebesman; S: Fox, Arnett, Fichtner)

Went to see Boyhood and saw two kids and their parents dressed as the turtles (the parents are probably/looked my age and grew up with the turtles too). I thought that was awesome. Made me think of my childhood (I was Leonardo on the playground - always had to be the leader). Just had to get that out there.
Old 08-08-14, 10:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,165 Likes on 909 Posts

Yeah there's no doubt in my mind that kids will love the movie and that's clearly who it's marketed to. The problem I feel like is that this film won't hold up as well throughout time. I'm not saying the original films are classics but to me they just felt like they had a better balance to them. The first one in particular had some fairly adult moments but was kid friendly enough. The second one was geared more towards kids but still wasn't completely dumbed down. To me this just felt too dumbed down for it's own good.

It almost felt to me like this movie had the opposite problem of Transformers: Age of Extinction. Where that movie was overly long and drawn out this felt like it was extremely rushed and short and not much really happened. It was just action sequence after action sequence pretty much. Also to me I just felt no real connection with any of the characters and especially not much with the Turtles. They just felt like they were there because they're the Turtles and are the stars but beyond caring about them as characters from previous incarnations these characters really just didn't seem like they had much to them at all. They acted like the Turtles I know and love but that's about all. I know the film wasn't going to have a big plot being more for kids but it just really felt like there was nothing going on in this at all.
Old 08-08-14, 11:00 PM
DVD Talk God

Received 1,375 Likes on 936 Posts

it may be marketed to kids, but not all kids. the pg-13 precludes me from taking my son, who is 5. he loves the nick cartoon (which i also enjoy). even though i read the violence isn't terribly over the top, it is more realistic, so it is not something i want my son exposed to at this age.
Old 08-08-14, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
it may be marketed to kids, but not all kids. the pg-13 precludes me from taking my son, who is 5. he loves the nick cartoon (which i also enjoy). even though i read the violence isn't terribly over the top, it is more realistic, so it is not something i want my son exposed to at this age.
I'm not a parent but I personally didn't see anything too bad as far as violence goes. It was very mild. Kids probably see about equal or possibly worse on regular tv. Hell I'm surprised it even merited a PG-13 rating honestly.
Old 08-08-14, 11:15 PM
DVD Talk God

I'm not a parent but I personally didn't see anything too bad as far as violence goes. It was very mild. Kids probably see about equal or possibly worse on regular tv. Hell I'm surprised it even merited a PG-13 rating honestly.
we don't even let my son watch tv outside of disney or nick, so anything he sees would be more violent that he would see at all. i get that it is very mild in comparison to other movies, but when he's only seeing disney flicks or stuff like the lego movie, the realistic violence is beyond what we think he should be seeing at this age.
Old 08-08-14, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Deftones
we don't even let my son watch tv outside of disney or nick, so anything he sees would be more violent that he would see at all. i get that it is very mild in comparison to other movies, but when he's only seeing disney flicks or stuff like the lego movie, the realistic violence is beyond what we think he should be seeing at this age.
Yeah I mean the choice is up to you obviously. I just don't think that any kid would be traumatized for life seeing it or anything.
Old 08-08-14, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 188 Likes on 131 Posts

Saw it tonight and I didn't really care for it much at all. I know the film is made by Nickelodeon and the target audience for it is kids, but I just felt like this was way too kid friendly and personally to me it didn't really work like I wanted it to. The plot was paper thin and it barely felt like anything happened in the movie at all. Just action sequence after action sequence. The Foot Clan didn't feel like much of a threat and the same goes for Shredder. The entire final battle was just meh. Overall I'd probably give this film a 2 out of 5. There are some fun moments and the Turtles themselves weren't terribly portrayed and seemed to embody the spirits of the characters but on a whole the film just feels largely forgettable.
Oh all of a sudden you're particular.
Old 08-08-14, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
I'll never lose my somewhat positive reviews for The Amazing Spider-Man 2. It's like I've said I just had really low expectations for it and sort of enjoyed it. This on the other hand I had fairly low expectations for but figured I would enjoy it but I just really didn't very much.
Old 08-09-14, 12:29 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 400 Likes on 268 Posts

If you take away the fact that technically TMNT and Transformers are different characters, they are basically EXACTLY the same movie on so many levels. They hit the same beats, same CGI overload, exactly the same formula. Thats how interchangable movies that are produced or directed by Michael Bay are, you can't tell the difference. Anyways I'm glad my ticket was free. 2/5.
Old 08-09-14, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 921 Likes on 654 Posts

Except you can tell what the turtles look like unlike the orgasm of scrap metal that make up the transformers.
Old 08-09-14, 07:54 AM

Received 4,669 Likes on 3,161 Posts

Yeah there's no doubt in my mind that kids will love the movie and that's clearly who it's marketed to. The problem I feel like is that this film won't hold up as well throughout time. I'm not saying the original films are classics but to me they just felt like they had a better balance to them. The first one in particular had some fairly adult moments but was kid friendly enough. The second one was geared more towards kids but still wasn't completely dumbed down. To me this just felt too dumbed down for it's own good.

It almost felt to me like this movie had the opposite problem of Transformers: Age of Extinction. Where that movie was overly long and drawn out this felt like it was extremely rushed and short and not much really happened. It was just action sequence after action sequence pretty much. Also to me I just felt no real connection with any of the characters and especially not much with the Turtles. They just felt like they were there because they're the Turtles and are the stars but beyond caring about them as characters from previous incarnations these characters really just didn't seem like they had much to them at all. They acted like the Turtles I know and love but that's about all. I know the film wasn't going to have a big plot being more for kids but it just really felt like there was nothing going on in this at all.
This was how I felt as well.
Old 08-09-14, 01:12 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Is it true that it's
Spoiler:
April
who is the one to actually defeat Shredder in the final battle?
Old 08-09-14, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Is it true that it's
Spoiler:
April
who is the one to actually defeat Shredder in the final battle?
Spoiler:
Kind of. She definitely assists quite a bit. She and the Turtles are dangling from a tower that falls on it's side (the part shown in the trailer) and Shredder is on the other end of it and she has the Turtles swing her towards him so she can kick him. Then Leo throws a katana at him and he falls to the ground.
Old 08-09-14, 04:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

Saw it. I didn't love it, but didn't hate it either. It's Ninja Turtles. Didn't care much for the way they messed around with the origins, but everything else was okay. Loved the Splinter vs. Shredder fight, and the turtles were very close to the ones I remember. I also liked

Spoiler:
the appearance of the Turtle Van and Shredder's "turtle soup" line, as well as April not being a damsel in distress. Didn't really care that April dealt Shredder the decisive blow like Spike did with Megatron. I also saw in the credits that Baxter Stockman was a character. When exactly did he appear?

Also, did April get her job back, or is she going to be giving BJs for money now?
Old 08-09-14, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Do any films still hire continuity staff? I guess it shows the weakness of the story when errors are so glaring

Spoiler:

April investigates the Foot Clan at the dock in the rain only to have bone dry (and prefect) hair right after

When April is taken to the Turtle lair her press lanyard magically disappears

The soldiers riddle the windshield of the news van with bullets, but the glass is perfect after crashing through the doors

April is hanging out the truck window (allowing her ass to be oogled) but then in in the cab and the window is rolled up

Overall I thought it was just an okay film. Maybe 2 stars out of 5. The turtle characters were cool, though.

A plot issue that kinda bugged me about April's father ...

Spoiler:

The flashbacks seem to indicate that he died in the fire, but Sachs tells her that he killed her father ...

So, is this just another issue with the script/continuity?

And was it just me, or did the book Splinter found about Ninjistu have figures that looked like Foot vs. Turtles (complete with the trailing pieces of the eye covers?
Old 08-09-14, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by achau9598
A plot issue that kinda bugged me about April's father ...

Spoiler:

The flashbacks seem to indicate that he died in the fire, but Sachs tells her that he killed her father ...

So, is this just another issue with the script/continuity?

And was it just me, or did the book Splinter found about Ninjistu have figures that looked like Foot vs. Turtles (complete with the trailing pieces of the eye covers?
Spoiler:
Yeah I didn't completely get that either. First it sound like her father set the lab on fire to stop the plan that Sacks and Shredder had and got trapped and died accidentally. Later it sounded more like Sacks killed him so I'm not sure if I missed something or what.

Also, I really didn't like the origin for Splinter and the Turtles and the fact that they were parts of experiments by April's father and Sacks. It just was kind of a cheesy way to link April directly to them if you ask me. Plus the fact that Splinter learned ninjutsu by studying a book he found in the sewers rather than learning from mimicking Hamato Yoshi was lame.
Old 08-09-14, 05:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 209 Likes on 161 Posts

Spoiler:
Learning from a book would not make anyone as skilled at martial arts as he was in this movie. The 80s cartoon actually had it the most believable with Yoshi himself actually turning into Splinter. Of course that's if we're going for believable stuff in a movie called Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles.
Old 08-10-14, 10:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

So I had never seen the TMNT CG animated film from back in 2007 but for comparison I wanted to watch it last night after seeing the new film and I have to say that is how a Turtles movie should be done. That was a great little film full of good action, a decent plot, the characters felt better developed and I cared about them. Basically everything the new film wasn't minus the fact that it had some okay action sequences. I really wish the new film had been done in a similar fashion to that.
Old 08-10-14, 11:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 117 Likes on 91 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
Mike86. ASM2.
Old 08-10-14, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 647 Likes on 497 Posts

So I had never seen the TMNT CG animated film from back in 2007 but for comparison I wanted to watch it last night after seeing the new film and I have to say that is how a Turtles movie should be done. That was a great little film full of good action, a decent plot, the characters felt better developed and I cared about them. Basically everything the new film wasn't minus the fact that it had some okay action sequences. I really wish the new film had been done in a similar fashion to that.
Glad to see some newfound love for TMNT. I always felt it was underrated.
Old 08-10-14, 12:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
Glad to see some newfound love for TMNT. I always felt it was underrated.
It's my second favorite film of the original series. I think people are very dismissive because it's animated, but the story, characters, and overall feel of the film is how the Turtles should be.
Old 08-10-14, 12:39 PM

Received 61 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
It's my second favorite film of the original series. I think people are very dismissive because it's animated, but the story, characters, and overall feel of the film is how the Turtles should be.
The movie tried to be too serious at times, and overall just didn't have a plot worth caring about.
Old 08-10-14, 12:40 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 647 Likes on 497 Posts

Originally Posted by My Other Self
Same for me. I always hoped for a sequel but they seemed to have no idea how to move forward. At one point they even wanted to do a live action sequel, keeping Sarah Michelle Gellar and Chris Evans as April O'Neil and Casey Jones respectively. But for whatever reason, no sequel ever materialized.
Old 08-10-14, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk God

Sequel announced:

Following the far stronger than expected $65 million domestic and $97 million worldwide opening this weekend, Paramount Pictures and Nickelodeon Movies have announced a June 3rd 2016 U.S. release date for a sequel to the just opened reboot of the "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles" film franchise.

Screenwriters Josh Appelbaum & Andre Nemec ("Mission: Impossible Ghost Protocal") are returning to write the sequel. Also coming back are the film's producers including Michael Bay, Andrew Form, Brad Fuller, Galen Walker and Scott Mednick.

Unclear at this point is if Jonathan Liebsman will again direct. Adam Goodman, President of Paramount’s Film Group, says in a statement:

"Launching a new take on the Turtles into the feature film world was a daunting task because as fans of them ourselves, we felt a great responsibility to ensure audiences were going to experience everything they loved about the Turtles, while also getting to see them brought to life in a way they had never been seen before. The result exceeded our high expectations and the response to the film is beyond great, making it all the more fun to get started on the continuation of their story."

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.