DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Movie Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk-17/)
-   -   Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles (2014) (D: Liebesman; S: Fox, Arnett, Fichtner) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/movie-talk/539016-teenage-mutant-ninja-turtles-2014-d-liebesman%3B-s-fox-arnett-fichtner.html)

BJacks 09-09-08 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by pinata242 (Post 8928231)
Anything come of this?

Yup, Laird confirmed to us that he's close to a deal for a live-action/CGI hybrid film (the superherohype link up above is a link to our story).

Money quote:

PL: As it stands now, there is no intention of doing another live-action film like the first three, with actors and stuntmen in actual Turtle suits, contrary to what was said by Kevin. We have pretty much decided that the next “TMNT” movie should be what we’ve been calling a “hybrid” — that is to say, live-action humans and sets combined with very realistic CGI Turtles (and possibly some other CGI characters).
The full interview with Laird is here:
http://splashpage.mtv.com/2008/09/09...brid-is-close/

Brack 09-09-08 03:40 PM

The only "Turtles" movie that was good was the first one. The rest were okay (2 & 3), to bad (TMNT).

My Other Self 09-09-08 03:58 PM

I loved TMNT. I thought it was miles over TMNT3.

Brack 09-09-08 04:07 PM

TMNT suffered from Superman Returns-syndrome, where plot happened off screen, and then we're expected to care about it. yeah, that's not how it works.

fumanstan 09-09-08 04:19 PM

Originally Posted by Brack (Post 8928310)
TMNT suffered from Superman Returns-syndrome, where plot happened off screen, and then we're expected to care about it. yeah, that's not how it works.

I guess Leo being away at the start of the movie is an example, but that break with him as Leader and Raph was established in the live action movies, so it made sense to me. What else happens off screen? I can't really think of anything but I haven't seen the movie since it came out on DVD.

DthRdrX 09-09-08 04:30 PM

Leo leaving the group for awhile seems like a fairly simple plot device to me. I felt the movie was mainly about the group coming together as one again anyway.

Brack 09-09-08 04:31 PM

Originally Posted by fumanstan (Post 8928338)
I guess Leo being away at the start of the movie is an example, but that break with him as Leader and Raph was established in the live action movies, so it made sense to me. What else happens off screen? I can't really think of anything but I haven't seen the movie since it came out on DVD.

Sure, it makes sense, but doesn't make for good drama. It would've been one thing if it was a sequel, but it wasn't. The action was decent at times, but the plot was completely uninspired and predictable.

Hey, if people liked it, that's great, but I thought it could've easily been better.

DthRdrX 09-09-08 06:24 PM

The one thing I liked the most is that I thought Leo was going to hand Ralph his ass, but it didn't quite work out that way. Ralph's rage finally won out over Leo's overconfidence. To think Leo was always my favorite though ...

In the next one they have to focus more on Donatello and Michelangelo. No doubt Shredder will be in it but I think they have at least opened the door for Krang.

taffer 09-10-08 01:50 AM

I would love another live action TMNT movie, especially if it is as dark as the original TMNT comics by Eastman and Laird.

The turtles are supposed to be dark. They don't knock out foot soldiers. They kill foot soldiers. The final battle against Shredder in the comics was epic and ended with Shredder being decapitated by Leo (and I think Leo lost an arm too or maybe that happened in a later story I can't recall).

The cartoon pussified the turtles. I really really disliked the pussified turtles. The first movie was more along the lines of the original comics, but even that wasn't quite as dark as the comics.

I would really really love a TMNT movie that is truly faithful to the original source material.

Jedi Master 33 09-10-08 02:25 AM

Why can't there be two versions? It has worked for Batman. Besides, it's four giant talking turtles and a giant talking rat, what do you want, The Dark Knight?

BJacks 09-10-08 09:37 AM

Originally Posted by taffer (Post 8929291)
The cartoon pussified the turtles. I really really disliked the pussified turtles. The first movie was more along the lines of the original comics, but even that wasn't quite as dark as the comics.

I would really really love a TMNT movie that is truly faithful to the original source material.

Honestly, I can't ever really see that happening. The source material may have been dark but the reason a studio would sink money into the franchise isn't because of the comics, it's because of what they became later in the toned-down cartoon, movies and toy lines. I'm not saying a film couldn't have darker themes but I think it's pretty safe we'll never see a "Dark Knight"-ish take on the Turtles (at least not on the big-screen).

Solid Snake 09-10-08 11:29 AM

I think the first one was a good border-line as being close to the comics and a bit light hearted. Minus some of the 80s look, it's a good film. Just....dirty 80s punk/rebel look doesn't age well...

taffer 09-10-08 11:40 AM

Originally Posted by BJacks (Post 8929749)
Honestly, I can't ever really see that happening. The source material may have been dark but the reason a studio would sink money into the franchise isn't because of the comics, it's because of what they became later in the toned-down cartoon, movies and toy lines. I'm not saying a film couldn't have darker themes but I think it's pretty safe we'll never see a "Dark Knight"-ish take on the Turtles (at least not on the big-screen).

Yeah, I know it will most likely never happen. The vast majority of the public is not aware of how dark the original comics are. Heck, I have met people that thought the 80s cartoon was actually the first TMNT product, and they were not even aware that TMNT actually came from an earlier comic book series. For the majority of the public, the cartoons are the "real" turtles. If a TMNT movie was made 100% faithful to the original comics, then millions of soccer moms would be complaining because they took their kids to see it and were expecting something akin to the cartoons.

But since Nolan's Bat films have been more faithful to the Batman comics of the last few decades, I still have a small hope that maybe one day TMNT might get the same treatment. The public majority previously had only been exposed to cheesy Batman from the Adam West show and 90s movies, and this was their first exposure to the true Dark Knight Detective that comic fans have loved since the 1970s. If the public can handle Nolan's Joker, they should be able to handle the real TMNT.

Solid Snake 09-10-08 12:20 PM

See...people KNOW the comics are dark now with Batman. With TMNT it was just the cartoon and the films. Batman, to the general non comic based public, had the West show, the cheesy old cartoons, the films, and Batman: The Animated Series...it was kind of a progression to being ok with TDK. Add in that the comics are big and people know that he's a dark character, at least depending on what generation you are in. TMNT was great dark gritty comics, and then the cartoon+films happened. While the 1st was a great balance of humor and grit, the last 2 were more in vein to the cartoon. And leaves us with the great horror of people only considering that to be the best TMNT.

Zen Peckinpah 09-10-08 05:03 PM

And for the love of Leatherhead, don't let the name be an acronym.

NiCK Crush 05-07-09 11:59 PM

Re: New LIVE ACTION Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles film in the works...

Well, the ball keeps on rolling on this...

devilshalo 07-21-09 11:46 AM

'Ninja Turtles' relaunch gets writer
John Fusco to pen 'Teenage Mutant' for 2011
By MARC GRASER
John Fusco has been tapped to breathe new life into "Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles."

The scribe will pen the live-action pic that producers hope will help relaunch Leonardo, Michelangelo, Donatello, Raphael and their master Splinter in a new film franchise to bow in 2011.

The sewer-dwelling characters, who love eating pizza when not fighting villains, starred in four pics for New Line in the early 1990s that earned more than $323 million worldwide. An animated feature in 2007 helped reignite interest in the turtles, minting $95 million for Warner Bros.

Fusco will certainly be able to handle the action elements.

He's been practicing martial arts since he was 12, and continues to study Shaolin kung fu. He penned last year's actioner "The Forbidden Kingdom," starring Jackie Chan and Jet Li. He also wrote a redo of "The Seven Samurai" for the Weinstein Co. His other credits include "Hidalgo" and "Young Guns."

"It is always exciting when you can come aboard a project that bridges the worlds of what you do with what you love," Fusco said. Fusco will incorporate elements of the "Turtles" comics, created by Peter Laird and Kevin Eastman in 1983, for the new adventure, which is being planned as an origins story.

Scott Mednick ("300," "Superman Returns" and the upcoming "Where the Wild Things Are") and Galen Walker ("TMNT") are producing through Mirage Studios, which owns the "Turtles," and TMNT Prods., respectively. Laird, Gary Richardson, Frederick Fierst, Eric Crown and Napoleon Smith III will serve as executive producers.

No director or studio are yet attached to the project, which is being funded through Lightbox Prods. 4Kids Entertainment is handling licensing for the pic.

Casting for martial artists to perform stunts in the film began over the weekend at the Hollywood and Highland complex.

Fusco's hiring comes as the 25th anniversary of the "Turtles," dubbed "Shell-ebration," ends this week at Comic-Con in San Diego with a panel discussion involving the property's creators and film producers, a screening of the original pic and other promotional activities.

Solid Snake 07-21-09 12:43 PM

wait 4 films in the early 90s...I only remember 1-3.

Also why would you write a redo of Seven Samurai?

RocShemp 07-21-09 01:15 PM

Cool. I like Fusco. The Forbidden Kingdom was a lot of fun and Young Guns holds a special place in my heart (along with its sequel). :up:

mdc3000 07-21-09 02:49 PM

I really hope they go for a hard PG-13 with this new flick - the fans who grew up with TMNT are all older now anyhow and I'd love to see some less cartoony action in one of these flicks....but I'll be there opening day either way.

jjcool 07-21-09 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Solid Snake PAC (Post 9584500)
wait 4 films in the early 90s...I only remember 1-3.

Me too. I initially thought they were including the recent film, but they listed that one seperate.

RocShemp 07-21-09 03:42 PM

They probably mean that direct to video pilot of The Next Mutation live action TV series. You know, the one that added that chick turtle. I think her name was Venus.

NiCK Crush 11-06-09 01:12 AM

well... Peter Laird has officially sold the Ninja Turles to Nickelodeon (Viacom). So our hopes for a gritty/dark Turtles flick might be be completely for naught.

Official press release:
http://www.viacom.com/news/Pages/new...px?RID=1344566

Jedi Master 33 11-06-09 01:15 AM

Nick brought it yes, but Paramount is making the movie, not Nick themselves. So it could go either way.

Just look at Transformers.

NiCK Crush 11-06-09 09:33 PM

Originally Posted by Jedi Master 33 (Post 9819768)
Nick brought it yes, but Paramount is making the movie, not Nick themselves. So it could go either way.

Just look at Transformers.

Good point...