Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-12, 08:25 PM

Received 4,730 Likes on 3,206 Posts
Re: The Dark Knight Rises (Nolan)

Originally Posted by DaveyJoe
If the show is sold out, wouldn't that screw somebody else over? Somebody who was responsible enough to buy their tickets in time...
If for instance the 12:05 isnt sold out and a group went to that one but one person had 12:01 it wouldn't be a big deal. If it sells out...sure one person will be screwed. Theatres will normally let you exchange times too.

Last edited by dex14; 06-13-12 at 08:42 PM.
Old 06-13-12, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My local IMAX theater just added a 3:15am showing now that midnight is sold out. I'm curious if they'll add a 6:30am showing like they've done for previous major IMAX releases (that's when I saw Spider-man 3). They've also added their own Dark Knight marathon that starts at 6:30pm. If I didn't have IMAX tickets, I probably would've chosen Cinemark's marathon that's playing in their XD auditoriums.

Some theaters here in town have already programmed most of their auditoriums for showtimes every five-to-ten minutes. One theater has already programmed it on thirteen of eighteen screens at midnight. I guess it's better to be safe than to be sorry. When I caught The Dark Knight at a private screening on the Thursday before its release, we walked out of the auditorium at midnight with the film programmed on every single screen at the theater we were at.
Old 06-13-12, 08:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

3 in the morning - shit, the movie is already long 164 minutes... I couldn't imagine going to a movie THAT late/early. Wasn't there round the clock screenings of 'Independence Day' when it opened?
Old 06-13-12, 09:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles
3 in the morning - shit, the movie is already long 164 minutes... I couldn't imagine going to a movie THAT late/early. Wasn't there round the clock screenings of 'Independence Day' when it opened?
Yes.

I also remember round the clock screenings for:

The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Iron Man
Spider-man 3
Iron Man 2
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Part Two

I'm sure there's been more, but that's all I can remember by either participating in them or walking by them.
Old 06-13-12, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 285 Likes on 213 Posts

Originally Posted by dex14
If the theatre has multiple showings like 12:01, 12:05 etc...just have them buy a different time and go to that one.
This is at the actual Smithsonian IMAX in D.C. though, so there is only one screen (well at two locations, but both are sold out). Not even sure if I can return my ticket, but I'll have to look into it. Ends up screwing me over in any case, since in addition to that we waste time in agreeing on another showtime which may get sold out in the interim.

My friend (who I was planning this with) is the type of person who avoids all spoilers to an annoying degree. If I say "Robert Downey Jr. is in the movie" before he even sees The Avengers he gets pissed. He ran out of the theater during the TDKR IMAX prologue before Mission Impossible and wanted me to text him when it was safe to come back, leaves the theater during Spider-Man trailers, doesn't want to know about anybody joining the cast, etc. With that level of obsessiveness, I would think he of all people would understand the hype and avoid procrastination. Still pisses me off.

Last edited by bluetoast; 06-13-12 at 09:29 PM.
Old 06-14-12, 12:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

The new DKR HeroClix game more or less confirms a rumor.

Spoiler:
Miranda Tate is Talia Al Ghul. Her stats reference hidden agendas and she has abilities equivalent to Ras Al Ghul's figure. Granted there were pics of her with Gordon and some mercenaries, but this for me is the best evidence she's Talia. It doesn't help that Warner marketing has been completely silent about her role.
Old 06-14-12, 01:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
Yes.

I also remember round the clock screenings for:

The Matrix Reloaded
The Matrix Revolutions
Pirates of the Caribbean: Dead Man's Chest
Iron Man
Spider-man 3
Iron Man 2
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hollows: Part Two

I'm sure there's been more, but that's all I can remember by either participating in them or walking by them.
I remember when the Cinerama Dome had 24 hour showings for Godzilla back in '98. I caught a 2:45am showing.
Old 06-14-12, 01:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just bought 2 IMAX tickets for the first Friday morning showing (besides the midnight and 3am). Looks like the midnight was already sold out, but I would just fall asleep anyways. I rather see it at 11am
Old 06-14-12, 07:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thought about seeing the fake Imax trilogy but I can't justify going to the movies for 8 hours w/ a newborn at home. So, I'm seeing it at 9:30am Friday morning in the only real Imax in the area.
Old 06-14-12, 08:04 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I'm too old/tired for this midnight showing crap. Every time I go, obnoxious people in the theater who feel the need to clap or scream in approval of the movie every time something exciting happens ruins it for me.

The only time it ever added to the experience was when I saw Spider-man 2 and someone screamed "FUCK HER IN THE ASS!" when Peter and MJ kissed at the end.
Old 06-14-12, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 92 Likes on 69 Posts

Samples of the score:

<iframe width="100%" height="595" scrolling="no" src="http://w.soundcloud.com/player/?url=http%3A%2F%2Fapi.soundcloud.com%2Fplaylists%2F2110383&auto_play=false&show_artwork=true&color=17A1EF" frameborder="0" ></iframe>

Last edited by alfredog1976; 06-14-12 at 01:19 PM.
Old 06-14-12, 01:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 23 Likes on 11 Posts

Why would they name the last track "Bruce Wayne's Funeral"? I didn't expect the soundtrack to spoil the movie.
Old 06-14-12, 01:23 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

It's not, and your post is now a potential spoiler.
Old 06-14-12, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RichC2
It's not, and your post is now a potential spoiler.
It's a Phantom Menace joke.
Old 06-14-12, 01:35 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,050 Likes on 831 Posts

I know
Old 06-14-12, 02:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 622 Likes on 448 Posts

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
There could be the possibility that KoP has kept both its original IMAX projectors in addition to the film projectors as I asked a similar question earlier in this thread regarding the theater here in Vegas (where the theater and Warner have already confirmed it'll be playing in 70mm despite a digital conversion a year ago).

EDIT: Warner confirms KoP will show the film in 70mm here: http://www.thedarkknightrises.com/imax.html
That's apparently the case. I'm here now about to watch Prometheus. I asked and was told it will be real film not digital. 15/70
Old 06-14-12, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 676 Likes on 525 Posts

I like that the title of track 14 is a throwback to dialogue from Batman Begins.
Old 06-14-12, 02:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 336 Likes on 251 Posts

Originally Posted by Superboy
I'm too old/tired for this midnight showing crap. Every time I go, obnoxious people in the theater who feel the need to clap or scream in approval of the movie every time something exciting happens ruins it for me.

The only time it ever added to the experience was when I saw Spider-man 2 and someone screamed "FUCK HER IN THE ASS!" when Peter and MJ kissed at the end.
Yep, this is pretty much the reason I don't go anymore...and also try to see either the earliest or the latest show on opening weekend...why people act like this in public, I'll never know. I often wonder if this is an American thing-only or if people act like this overseas as well?
Old 06-14-12, 04:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by whotony
That's apparently the case. I'm here now about to watch Prometheus. I asked and was told it will be real film not digital. 15/70
Interesting. When I saw Prometheus it was still digital and not 15/70.

Sony is releasing The Amazing Spider-man in 15/70, in addition to digital, rather than their past releases. I wonder if my local theater will have the 15/70 setup ready to go by then or they'll wait simply for TDKR.
Old 06-14-12, 04:36 PM
Banned

There's a pretty big difference between going to a midnight showing and any old showing of a movie. Anyone who goes to a midnight showing and doesn't expect an active, vocal audience shouldn't be there. Midnight showings are meant for this stuff.

Best time I ever had was when I saw X-Men 2 with a midnight audience and Wolverine used his claws on that goon for the first time. The place went crazy.
Old 06-14-12, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 356 Likes on 239 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
Best time I ever had was when I saw X-Men 2 with a midnight audience and Wolverine used his claws on that goon for the first time. The place went crazy.
I would hope so. I generally don't support cheering in a movie, but that's such an awesome superhero moment that leads into one of the best sequences in a modern comic book movie that I can remember.
Old 06-14-12, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Dragon Tattoo
There's a pretty big difference between going to a midnight showing and any old showing of a movie. Anyone who goes to a midnight showing and doesn't expect an active, vocal audience shouldn't be there. Midnight showings are meant for this stuff.

If it's something I'm jazzed about seeing, I plan on attending two showings: a midnight where it's applicable, and a daytime/post-work showing a few days after when the crowd might be more subdued.
Old 06-14-12, 05:12 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I love the blood on the pavement surrounding the chalk emblem.

Old 06-15-12, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

"And, yes, Mr. Wayne, it does come in black."

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EECW85ZW2FM?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EECW85ZW2FM?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
Old 06-15-12, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by RocShemp
"And, yes, Mr. Wayne, it does come in black."

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/EECW85ZW2FM?version=3&feature=player_embedded"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/EECW85ZW2FM?version=3&feature=player_embedded" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>
Might be stating the obvious here, but Bruce Wayne is supporting his body weight with a cane in that TV spot (while talking with Fox). Seems like he acquires the plane after he gets roughed up pretty bad.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.