Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters

Sex Drive

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-08, 02:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 269 Likes on 197 Posts
This looks funny as hell, I will see this one!
Old 10-10-08, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
There's a nationwide sneak preview tomorrow night.

As I've said before, I would definitely recommend checking it out.
Old 10-10-08, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't waste your time

One of the more disgusting and misogynistic films I've seen in a long time. Besides the appalling language, it brays throughout an attitude toward women that offers no good examples for anyone -- especially the many fat teenagers who attended the screening I saw -- to emulate. Plus every plot point was totally predictable.

Avoid this one unless you're stuck permanently in the 8th grade.
Old 10-10-08, 12:43 PM
Suspended

My school had a free screening of it a couple of days ago but i skipped. I'll catch it on USA in a couple of years when its watered down.
Old 10-10-08, 02:01 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by signinstranger
Besides the appalling language, it brays throughout an attitude toward women that offers no good examples for anyone
A) the movie is called Sex Drive. It will contain foul language. B) Which hatred for women? Maybe the Clark Duke character, who ultimately learns the error of his ways, but other than that I don't see what you're talking about, especially the main character being against his friend's methods and choosing instead to be nice.
Old 10-10-08, 02:27 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I'm amazed this is getting such good marks from people here. The marketing has been awful. None of it looks funny, and I'm hoping to never see that Mexican donut suit ever again.

But then again, maybe it's just suffering from bad advertising. If my theater gets it I may check it out.
Old 10-10-08, 06:03 PM

Saw the film on October 2nd and wrote my review a couple of days ago. Here is my opinion of it:

Sex Drive - ***
Directed by Sean Anders

Ah, the teen sex comedy. It's probably the lowest form of comedy that there is, and there have been plenty of bad ones, and some of those remain very popular, like Porky's, but there are others that trenscend the genre and take it to a whole new level, like The Last American Virgin and The Girl Next Door. The newest one Sex Drive falls smack dab in the middle. Sure, the film is uproariously funny and has more substance than your average teen sex comedy, but at times the film goes straight into Porky's territory and loses sight of its simple story.

In the film, Josh Zuckerman (who you may remember was the young Dr. Evil in Austin Powers in Goldmember) plays Ian, an 18 year old high school senior living in Chicago who has been chatting on a Facebook-like site with a girl named Ms. Tasty, who lives in Knoxville. He has a picture of him on his page dressed up as afootball jock, so he gives her the impression that he is. In truth, Ian is a loser. His older brother Rex (James Marsden) treats him like crap, he is a saddled in a job where he has to dress up as a donut, and no girl will give him the time of day, not even his best friend Felicia (Amanda Crew in a breakout performance). That is until the day that Ms. Tasty wants to meet him, saying "I'll make it worth your while." So he enlists his other best friend Lance (Clark Duke) and Felicia (who said she would stay over at Ian's place to get away from the wedding insanity going on at her house) to join him in his older brother's 1969 GTO Judge for the trip down there. And from there, hijinks ensue until Ian has to make a decision that will alter his life forever.

Sex Drive starts out as a really smart and really funny sex comedy that goes for broke in physical gags, gross out gags, and some really good one-liners. Once the film hits the road though, in many ways the real fun begins. There are some really funny setpieces to be had throughout the film, including Seth Green as an Amish man who takes our trio into his world so they can repair his car (Yes, you read that right) as well as the finale,which takes insanity to a whole other level as our main hero learns to grow up (How and why I will not say. You will have to see it for yourself to find out).

But there are two reason why this sex comedy really rises above most of the rest. One, the film actually has structure to it. Director Sean Anders knows that in order for a comedy to work, you have to have a story to start with and then build your jokes around it. Thankfully, he has that including falling action and a denouemont to cap it off. This guy at least know how to tell a story without letting the film get bogged down because of it. The second thing the film has going for it is that it is really well-shot by cinematographer Tim Orr (who has photographed numerous movies in the last few years, including Pineapple Express and my favorite first-love movie of the decade Little Manhattan). Orr is able to show off some good camera tricks as well as knowing exactly when to leave the camera sit as well as move. He is an expert cinematographer, and Anders knows that well, and as a result, he lets Orr do his thing. Because of that, Sex Drive can flow quite freely.

So considering the praise I have thrown on this film, why is it that I'm only giving this film three stars instead of more? Simple, the film is just too raunchy for its good. Now don't get me wrong, I have no problem with a film being raunchy, but here, I felt that there were times that Anders went a little too far. There is a moment in the film where we have an old man having his balls hang out. And then there are whole sequences that don'twork, like one taking place at a state fair that goes so far that it is not only unfunny, but it's also cringe-inducing (If you incline yourself to see this film, you'll probably know exactly what moment I'm talking about when it appears on screen).

But even with its faults, I still recommend Sex Drive. I laughed a lot, I had a pretty good time, and the ending of the film is a perfect example of substance that makes perfect sense. The fact that director Sean Anders has manged to make a teen sex comedy with substance is something to appreciate. He even threw in symbolism, something I don't see too much in these kinds of comedies these days. Is this film one of the funniest comedies of the year? I would say probably so. However, if I made a list of the 10 funniest films of the year, it would probably rank 10th only because there have been funnier films this year, but take my word for it. If you like raunchy sex comedies like this, you will really enjoy Sex Drive and walk out feeling good.

NOTE: I did see this film last week and it took me a long while to write this only because I was thinking about where I should put it in my star rating. I should also mention that director Sean Anders and stars Josh Zuckerman and Amanda Crew were all there to do a Q&A after the film was over (I saw the film at the Harkins Tempe Marketplace Theatre in Tempe, AZ) and they talked about the film and it was a really funny 45 minute conversation that I really enjoyed and had fun with.
Old 10-11-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
One of the more disgusting and misogynistic films I've seen in a long time. Besides the appalling language, it brays throughout an attitude toward women that offers no good examples for anyone -- especially the many fat teenagers who attended the screening I saw -- to emulate. Plus every plot point was totally predictable.

Avoid this one unless you're stuck permanently in the 8th grade.
Sounds good, i'm in!
Old 10-11-08, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Legend

In a film like this, you know where the journey will end. You know that five minutes into the movie. That's not the point of the movie, the point is the journey to the end.

And what's a teen sex comedy without raunch or bad language? I want my teen sex comedies to be complete filth, but with a good story and heart -- which Sex Drive succeeds at.
Old 10-12-08, 02:31 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I took my girlfriend to the sneak tonight. This film is going to fucking flop.

Besides the two of us, there was a group of three. Complete empty theater on a Saturday night.

Also, stick around for all the goodies within the credits. When I saw the film almost two months ago, it was close to a final cut. It was nice to see the film all polished up.
Old 10-14-08, 09:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Location: Rainy ass Seattle yes the weather sucks here, so do our sports teams.
I just want to remind everybody to go see this movie this weekend, it fucking roxx!!!! i will be seeing it again for sure. holla.
Old 10-15-08, 01:26 AM

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
I took my girlfriend to the sneak tonight. This film is going to fucking flop.

Besides the two of us, there was a group of three. Complete empty theater on a Saturday night.

Also, stick around for all the goodies within the credits. When I saw the film almost two months ago, it was close to a final cut. It was nice to see the film all polished up.
I'm actually probably going to have agree with you. Despite the critical accalim the film is getting from most who have seen it, the promotion Summit Entertainment has done for it has officially done it in.

Still, when I went to the sneak (this now marking my second time seeing it), the theater I was at was about half full and the audience seemed to really enjoy it. What do you think, Matthew? Do you think there's a cult classic in the making here?

Also thank you for mentioning the goodies in the end credits. I found those bits really funny and I liked the end credit design too. Really creative finish to probably the best teen sex comedy since The Girl Next Door.
Old 10-15-08, 02:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nicholas Vargo
I'm actually probably going to have agree with you. Despite the critical accalim the film is getting from most who have seen it, the promotion Summit Entertainment has done for it has officially done it in.

Still, when I went to the sneak (this now marking my second time seeing it), the theater I was at was about half full and the audience seemed to really enjoy it. What do you think, Matthew? Do you think there's a cult classic in the making here?

Also thank you for mentioning the goodies in the end credits. I found those bits really funny and I liked the end credit design too. Really creative finish to probably the best teen sex comedy since The Girl Next Door.
I don't think it'll gain a following, even if it does okay or flops.

The Girl Next Door is an odd one. On the outside, it's a generic teen sex comedy. However, once you get into it, it's much more; a romantic comedy with a lot of heart and a ridiculous premise that is actually grounded directly in reality. It's funny as it's a film that it's studio had no faith in, but they still did a moderate amount of promotion for until they changed the flick's release date at the last minute to (over a month later where it landed on) Easter weekend where it was released to die a quick death.

It upsets me that the film never caught on. Everyone I dragged to see the movie in theaters or made them watch the DVD when it was released four months later fell in love with it. The same could be said for the even more disastrous EuroTrip, a teen sex comedy that meets the unfamiliar world of satire.

Sex Drive might not have the heart or brains that The Girl Next Door possesses, but goddamn, it's probably one of the funniest comedies I've seen in a while. It also helps that the jokes are built around the plot and not vice versa. It's also very creative, and you can't say that about many comedies released within the studio system.

It's sad that Summit Entertainment either doesn't know what a gem they have on them or they have a marketing team that has zero clue what they're doing. My friends went to another sneak preview of the flick last night (that I hooked them up with passes to, I was too busy watching the Giants get their asses handed to them ) and they said the theater was nearly empty -- surprising for a free screening.

Eh. I'll buy it when it hits video.
Old 10-15-08, 03:11 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

I agree on GND and Sex Drive but I must have missed the satire in EuroTrip. I thought it was stupid.
Old 10-15-08, 03:00 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by droidguy1119
I agree on GND and Sex Drive but I must have missed the satire in EuroTrip. I thought it was stupid.
Agreed. No hate, but I thought Eurotrip was garbage.

GND on the other hand, I absolutely LOVE!!! I wish this would get a BD release.

I will definitely be seeing Sexdrive again this weekend, probably along with Max Payne. I can't wait to laugh my ass off again. Damn Amanda Crew is so fucking fine!!

Sexdrive will def be copped when it huts blu.
Old 10-15-08, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

I'm planning on catching it this weekend for sure. I enjoyed the heck out of Eurotrip though.
Old 10-15-08, 05:03 PM
Suspended

Man, I really want to see this. Seems like teen sex comedies are becoming a lot better than they were in the 90s.
Old 10-15-08, 09:59 PM
Banned

neck and neck with Forgetting Sarah Marshall for the funniest film of the year. I LOVED it. I'm going to write up a full review on my blog later.
Old 10-15-08, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by JPRaup
neck and neck with Forgetting Sarah Marshall for the funniest film of the year. I LOVED it. I'm going to write up a full review on my blog later.
Sex Drive has the advantage only for it's ending. Just thinking about how awesome the ending is and how it succeeds from both a storytelling and comedic standpoint makes me smile.
Old 10-16-08, 01:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The first ten minutes are now online:

http://www.myspace.com/sexdrivemovie

NSFW.
Old 10-16-08, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matthew Chmiel
The first ten minutes are now online:

http://www.myspace.com/sexdrivemovie

NSFW.
Nice!!!

Old 10-17-08, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

DVDtalk gave this 1 1/2 stars.
Old 10-17-08, 10:11 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw this tonight and enjoyed it.

The movie is going to flop terribly though. I went to a Friday night prime time showing, and there were seven people in the entire theater.
Old 10-17-08, 10:36 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Thought it was pretty funny but not Sarah Marshall funny. It has some cute moments but it relies too heavily on gross out gags that only work 50% of the time. (we've seen the glory hole and old man's balls type jokes many times before) James Marsden and Clark Duke steal every scene they're in though and those two alone make it worth seeing IMO. The plot is fairly predictable and by the numbers but it is a fun ride for the most part. Perhaps my expectations were slightly too high because of the praise I'd read around here... good but not great. (besides me and 2 friends, there was only ONE other person in the theatre).
Old 10-18-08, 12:57 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Originally Posted by Seantn
DVDtalk gave this 1 1/2 stars.
Yeah, but check who reviewed it

Meanwhile, caught an 8PM show tonight and the theater was about half to 2/3 full. I enjoyed the movie, but I don't think it was quite as pleasing as some of the recent Apatow fare. It definitely had its moments, especially at the end with a good resolution to the whole Miss Tasty thing.

The only thing I disliked was Clark Duke, since I thought it was silly how made this chubby dorky looking guy some sort of hot chick magnet. Not to mention where his character finishes the movie. Marsden was great, as was Seth Green in their smaller roles. All the babes were hot though

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.