Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Movie Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Hollywood racist toward Hispanics?

Community
Search
Movie Talk A Discussion area for everything movie related including films In The Theaters
View Poll Results: Is Hollywood racist towards Hispanics?
YES
14.81%
NO
85.19%
Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-08, 02:40 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

On Sunday July 27th on SHOOTOUT on AMC. George Lopez said Hollywood doesn't doesn't show Hispanics enough or in good roles.
All I know is there are bunch of Hispanics in America both legal and illegal to support Hispanic films. Robert Rodriquez has had hit films with SPY KIDS series and some bombs too like GRINDHOUSE. And Antoino Banderas and Selma Hayek appear in movies. So why blame Hollywood because their own race doesn't support Hispanic films. George Lopez had a t.v. show for a few years and it got canceled. If George has issues with how Hollywood spends it's own money then go to Mexico and make movies there. Or better yet use your own money and produce a picture just like Mel Gibson did. And that goes for Spike Lee too!
Old 07-29-08, 05:03 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by wm lopez
On Sunday July 27th on SHOOTOUT on AMC. George Lopez said Hollywood doesn't doesn't show Hispanics enough or in good roles.
He's probably just talking about his own career. I wonder if he's even seen most of the films accomplished actors like Edward James Olmos have been in. What about Cheech Marin? He's no longer "celebrity" but he's developed a solid career as a character acter in films and TV.

What about JAVIER BARDEM, who played the most memorable screen character of 2007?! And won an Oscar for it. And got huge applause when he delivered his acceptance speech in Spanish.

Jennifer Lopez? Before she threw her career down the crapper, Hollywood seemed to have high demand for her.

You want to know a group that's underrepresented in Hollywood? Norwegians.
Old 07-29-08, 08:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
It's George Lopez. 'nuff said.
Old 07-29-08, 08:02 AM

Received 164 Likes on 120 Posts
Since I don't think Hispanics represent a distinct race, but are rather something closer to an ethnic group, no.

But to answer your basic question, Hollywood stereotypes everyone, but some groups, like Hispanics, get negatively stereotyped quite a bit.
Old 07-29-08, 08:09 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Living Deadpan

You want to know a group that's underrepresented in Hollywood? Norwegians.
MacGyver FTW!

I never thought I'd see the day with wm lopez creating a thread defending Hollywood.
Old 07-29-08, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,815 Likes on 1,131 Posts
Meh, every group gets ignored, suddenly "discovered", gets a chance to make Hollywood richer for a few years, then gets ignored again as soon as the next "big thing" comes around.

Rinse and repeat every few years and you have Hollywood's rhythm.
Old 07-29-08, 08:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
shut the fuck up george lopez
Old 07-29-08, 09:01 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Didn't Jimmy Smits win the election on The West Wing?

I voted no.
Old 07-29-08, 09:07 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
There are plenty of good roles for Hispanics in Hollywood. One of my Hispanic friends was "Drug Dealer #2" on The Shield. Another was featured as "Taco Vender" on Law and Order.
Old 07-29-08, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Groucho
There are plenty of good roles for Hispanics in Hollywood. One of my Hispanic friends was "Drug Dealer #2" on The Shield. Another was featured as "Taco Vender" on Law and Order.

Don't forget 'Ese #3' and 'Vato #2'.

But seriously folks...

Lopez is full of shit.
Old 07-29-08, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts
Salma Hayek and Jennifer Lopez seem to be able to get work.
Old 07-29-08, 09:44 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts
Nah. It's worse for asians
Old 07-29-08, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read an article (I believe it was EW) where they discussed the whitewashing of TV. Very few minorities in the upcoming shows.

But, yeah, Asians have it worse.
Old 07-29-08, 10:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Dr Mabuse
Lopez is full of shit.
Personal attacks about the OP will not be tolerated.
Old 07-29-08, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by DeputyDave
Personal attacks about the OP will not be tolerated.

You beat me to it. I was going to ask, "George or WM?"

A bit of a tangent, so I apologize in advance. I'm a self-admitted lefty, so sure certain things such as this can bother me (especially when you end a rant with, "And this goes for you too, Spike Lee!" which just makes me flinch (even though Spike Lee is an overrated douchebag).

But I also get bothered when shows are accused of being two white or too black, not hispanic enough or gets panned for not having any gay characters.

I have a couple black friends and I have quite a few gay ones, but like I said, I'm a friggin' lefty. It's not normally the case, and it certainly wasn't with me until college. Even know, if you took the group of my friends that most consistantly hang out (we're talking every-other -day kind of thing), you've got 4 Micks, a Polock, a WASP, a 1/2 Asian, a Brit and Black guy. I'd suspect that even that empty canvas with a drop of ink is more divirse than many of my age group.

And that's not to say that people my age are xenophobic. Not at all. In fact, I think we're the first generation to not really give two shits about that kind of stuff. There's still racism, to be sure, but most university grads, it seems, have a much more laid-back view when it comes to ethnicity or sexual orientation or background or race. That being said, it's still not uncommon for groups of friends, roommates or even neighborhoods to be made up of a small homogonized group.

I don't think reflecting that on television or films is racist. In fact, I'd argue that shoe-horning a black girl into "Friends" or something is more racist in that it's patronizing.

-Doc

Last edited by Doc MacGyver; 07-29-08 at 10:26 AM.
Old 07-29-08, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Hispanics are under represented? What about asians heh.
Old 07-29-08, 10:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Try finding a non-Hispanic on Telemundo or Univision, bitches!!

(Seriously those two channels have a worldwide television audience that puts a LOT of channels to shame...)

I watch hours of novellas and Sabado Gigante trying to catch a scintillia of a wisp of pantie... and there's nobody there who couldn't be wearing a flannel shirt and a hair-net in 108 degree weather, or offering up a good ol' "pop in the toaster" in the back of my El Camino while avoiding La Migra during Japanese Arbor Day. And I say this as a proud Hispanic man. Don't believe me? I'll break you with my bare hands!!!!
Old 07-29-08, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,022 Likes on 812 Posts
Originally Posted by superdeluxe
Hispanics are under represented? What about asians heh.
I think we're well represented... unless we're required to do more than pose or kick some ass.
Old 07-29-08, 10:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by RichC2
I think we're well represented... unless we're required to do more than pose or kick some ass.

Still, that's pretty awesome.

My people drink and fight.

(although that's also pretty awesome...)

-Doc
Old 07-29-08, 11:05 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

This is funny considering that it is coming from someone who built their career on making race jokes.
Old 07-29-08, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 324 Likes on 242 Posts
This just in from Clint Eastwood:

"George Lopez should shut his face."
Old 07-29-08, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts
I don't think anything is 100% racist free, particularly something as vague and enormous as "Hollywood". Still, I don't feel that hispanics can't get good enough work or roles. It's a competitive business.

Admittedly, many shows or movies go for white characters for fear of alienating the "white" audience. But I wouldn't call that racist. I'd call it business. People are trying to maximize their ratings, and ultimately profits. Granted, I'd question the wisdom of such logic. But Hollywood does lots of things in an effort to streamline their product to appeal to the masses. And a lot of these actions don't always appears logical or necessary. But it's motivated by money, not skin color.
Old 07-29-08, 11:39 AM
Suspended

Originally Posted by wm lopez
So why blame Hollywood because their own race doesn't support Hispanic films.
So much wrong with this statement I don't know where to begin.

Actually, I know where to begin.

Who the hell ever taught you that "Hispanic" was a "race"?

E
Old 07-29-08, 11:40 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts
Originally Posted by Lunatikk
This is funny considering that it is coming from someone who built their career on telling other people's race jokes.
Fixed!
Old 07-29-08, 11:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Originally Posted by LotusEater79
I cannot tell if you were being sarcastic. Telenovellas are notorious for not having a diverse casting makeup. All one has to do is watch a Telenovella once and you will rarely see someone of George Lopez' race (AmerIndian) as a lead character. The racial makeup of Telenovellas is completely different than Latin American immigrants who are overwhelmingly AmerIndian/Mestizo or black/mulatto.
I watch novellas ONLY to catch a glimpse of scantily clad wimmens. Although I did get into "O Clone / El Clon" bigtime back in 2002. "Esmeralda" was pretty good too. And Sabado Gigante is groin-grabbingly excellent.

But I get what you're saying. People think Hispanic = Spanish-speaking individual, whereas if you watch a novella you're gonna see a gamut of Spanish-speaking individuals of all races. Most of them semi-naked.

Although I would say the majority of novella types you see are semi-morenos.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.